PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you go to your "company picnic"?

pr_capone
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Just had one go by and I didn't go... just like last year. You go to these things?

This year they rented out a small local amusement park and it seemed like it was a day long thing. Got some odd looks when I told people that I had no intention of going.

If I want to move up in this company... am I expected to go to these things? I hope not.

chasedude
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
I've been to "company functions" but nothing like an amusement park. Most of the time it's to make an appearance and leave. I'm already around these people 40+ hours a week, that's more than enough socialization.

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
When I have been a member of a company, absolutely. People I have worked with have ended up being among my closest friends. It's important for me to know their spouses and kids as well.

I've never been an 8-5 guy, and developing a feeling of community that extends beyond the keyboards and cubicles just seems like a very natural extension of an essential part of my life.

FAX
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM
These kinds of things are deemed important by executive leadership as team building activities, Mr. pr_capone. Unfortunately, employees who do not participate in these time-wasting exercises are often negatively viewed as recalcitrant. Although I can understand the rationale, spending a full day at an amusement park seems a little silly. Unless you work for a circus, in which case it makes sense as a sort of bus man's holiday. My personal team building preference is to line up the employees all in a row and smack each of them in turn with a bag of frozen peas. It gives them a common enemy.

FAX

tyton75
06-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I try to avoid company functions as much as I can

Bugeater
06-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Mine was the weekend before last, and no, I didn't go.

Bump
06-13-2011, 06:11 AM
I skipped one once and they were all mad at me. I should have went but I was mad at my job at the time and bailed on it.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Fax hit a key point.

Sometime a few years ago the hole in the Ozone and the energy waves it let in caused HR people to deem "Team building" as a key to corporate development. Many HR departments, using hard earned profits, hired consultants who developed "Team Building Activities" and "Team Building Models"

The goals varied but generally they advanced the idea that learning to trust each other in stress or play activity would make coworkers work smarter, be more creative and become problem solving supermen and women. Others wanted to build on that feeling of community and bonding on a level beyond the corporate meeting room.

If you are one of the people we all know who loves everything to be in harmony and do "stuff together" this is such a sweet fun time. You know who I mean. The ones who after sitting in a meeting for 9 hours, suggests in a perky happy voice, "Lets all go eat together so we can continue to dialog on these issues"

If however you are the person who after 9 hours in a cramped room with bad air just wants to go the corner booth in the hotel bar and nurse a Scotch and not talk to any of these assholes, you saw "Team Building" as total waste of resources and could come up with 40-11 reasons why you didn't care to play.

You then were branded. HR would go look in the book to see what this means...anti social? Self centered? Not a corporate citizen? Lacks social skills? They have buzzword lists they use to re draft your annual performance appraisal because you chose to have explosive diarrhea on the day they did the "Ropes Exercise" and the permanently record your lack of "commitment" and your inability to "communicate at a more personal and trusting level"

Jesus I do not miss those flaming assholes.

Once, instead of touring Fort Sumter and hitting a really incredible seafood/Italian place, my boss decided we should go ride go carts and spend quality time" on "fun". I still see those 4 hours as gone forever and a void exists where once was time with value. Somehow, hotdogs and cokes were not the way I wanted to end the day.

blaise
06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
I went when the company I worked for had them. The last few companies I worked for didn't do them. Instead, we'll do some luncheon in the middle of the day or something.

morphius
06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
As others have said, if you don't go upper management is going to look down on you. Which will of course hinder your ability to move up. I believe it shows them that you can balance work and fun.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Shit no. They can all fuck off and die.

threebag
06-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Just had one go by and I didn't go... just like last year. You go to these things?

This year they rented out a small local amusement park and it seemed like it was a day long thing. Got some odd looks when I told people that I had no intention of going.

If I want to move up in this company... am I expected to go to these things? I hope not.

if i recall throughout my work life it seems only the dick suckers move up in most companies.

the time i am there is enough fuck em

Rausch
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
When I worked the factory they had a company Christmas party.

Went to that.

Everyone got way too f'ed up.

I puked in the Boss' yard and it froze. He had to look at it for like 2 weeks.

I'm lucky he was more the type to point and laugh than chastise and demote...

Valiant
06-13-2011, 08:26 AM
If it is a company as you said, that you want to move up in. Then a resounding yes.

Seems you already knew that though. Were you asked afterwards by management why?

bevischief
06-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Depends if like your co-workers or not.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Depends if like your co-workers or not.

I don't.

THat's why I go...

pr_capone
06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
If it is a company as you said, that you want to move up in. Then a resounding yes.

Seems you already knew that though. Were you asked afterwards by management why?

I was not asked by management, just got an odd response from coworkers when I told them I would not be going.

TBH, I like my job and I want to move up but I don't want to be obligated to go to these things. I have way too much on my plate as it is with going to work and school both full time to dick around with a company party.

I'm not really a sociable person by nature. I don't do well in situations where I am forced to socialize with people I know from work. I keep my life very compartmentalized... work is work, home is home. Hell, I even keep my side of the family away from the wife's side of the family. lol

phisherman
06-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I was not asked by management, just got an odd response from coworkers when I told them I would not be going.

TBH, I like my job and I want to move up but I don't want to be obligated to go to these things. I have way too much on my plate as it is with going to work and school both full time to dick around with a company party.

I'm not really a sociable person by nature. I don't do well in situations where I am forced to socialize with people I know from work. I keep my life very compartmentalized... work is work, home is home. Hell, I even keep my side of the family away from the wife's side of the family. lol

I'm a bit like you in this way. I like to keep my personal life nicely segregated from my professional work.

However, I do have an exception to the concept of team building. I will attend, as long as the team building event is during work hours. :)

Rausch
06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Hell, I even keep my side of the family away from the wife's side of the family. lol

WIN!

DJ's left nut
06-13-2011, 09:51 AM

I think it's pretty important to go.

At a massive company, maybe not quite as much, but if you're at a medium/smaller sized place and you have any kind of 'leadership' aspirations, I think this is the kind of event it's fairly critical to attend.

We axed an attorney a few years back because he was never a comfortable fit for the firm. One of the things that was mentioned was the fact that in 4 years of having the picnic (and despite making it both family friendly and still flexible enough for our college student employees to have a decent time), he never once showed up. Every other atty in the firm did and brought their wives, etc... but he never did.

It's an odd sort of aloof to just blow something like that off, especially if you are looking to move up.

Maybe people shouldn't care - but they will.

BigRedChief
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM

I feel ya but not going is a big mistake for someone wanting to move up in the company. You might not get a promotion because you not viewed as a team player, only concerned about your self. I agree it's bs and I have no interest in being buddies after work either but it's an expectation if you want to advance up the chain.

DeezNutz
06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Going to those types of functions can be extremely important.

CaliforniaChief
06-13-2011, 10:19 AM
DJ and Deez are right.

In an ideal world, the only thing that affects promotion and position within a company are performance on the job.

In the world we live in, it's all about relationships. You just can't get the kind of relational exposure/connection you need in the office that you can get at events like that.

Phobia
06-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I've always gone to all of mine when I used to work for "The Man". They're important to team building and if you have any hopes of moving up. Let's be honest, Upper Mgmt wants to work with people who are effective but also people they like. If you're promoted to middle mgmt, you'll be spending time with upper mgmt. If they don't like you or haven't gotten to know you, you'll be bypassed by some young buck who went to the company functions. This stuff isn't rocket science.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I remember those. It seemed cruel to force a bunch of people that have to see each other M-F to spend some of their precious personal time together.

DeezNutz
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
And when you go, don't primarily visit with your "friends"; you're there to chat up and hang with the most important people you can.

If you're one of the important people, do whatever the fuck you want.

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm truly surprised at the antipathy I'm seeing here.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 10:40 AM

Um yeahhhhh, I"m gonna' need you to go see the Bobs.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 10:41 AM

When you spend a great deal of time preaching about the division between work and home don't be surprised when the company picnic is 9 people...

Bugeater
06-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Meh, ours was at the zoo, where I'm sure most everyone split up and mixed in with the general public. I'm not sure how they expect it to be any type of team-building type deal when it's not really in a group setting.

Donger
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I used to go to the yearly picnic. I don't any more, though.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I used to go to the yearly picnic. I don't any more, though.

Terms like "team building" make me cringe. I have to watch Office Space just to get the filth out of my head.

morphius
06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I remember those. It seemed cruel to force a bunch of people that have to see each other M-F to spend some of their precious personal time together.
A lot of them happen during normal working hours.

Donger
06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Terms like "team building" make me cringe. I have to watch Office Space just to get the filth out of my head.

Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

Bugeater
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
You could get your ass kicked for that.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

LMAO Well played.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
LMAO Well played.

You should dialog more and strengthen your peer to peer relationships. It would help as you manage upward on critical issues.

ElGringo
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I never really had a "company picnic" but when I was growing up, my dad's bank had one. Mostly everyone went, down to the lowest man on the totem pole. They rented out a pond/miniature golf course/everything area, and basically just got drunk and went fishing. After the picnic portion, they would pack up all the leftover beer and anyone who wanted would come over and go swimming.

I can see how everyone viewed it as "team building" but no one was looked down on for missing, only that they missed a great party.

vailpass
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
You should dialog more and strengthen your peer to peer relationships. It would help as you manage upward on critical issues.

Nice. I remember people playing Buzzword Bingo during conference calls. The corporate world is a funny world indeed.

BigRedChief
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM

I've revived two promotions in the last year. There is no way that happened regardless of my job performance without being viewed as a team player willing to work with others successfully. Unfortunately in today's business environment these BS team building exercises are viewed as "essential" if you want to move up in the company. It is what it is.:hmmm:

Rausch
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I never really had a "company picnic" but when I was growing up, my dad's bank had one.

Whoah...howd on.

Stop the train...

http://www.jokedujour.com/battle/chicks-stop-train.jpg

Donger
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't understand the whole "team building" thing. I've already crushed into submission every member on my team. I don't see the reason to help them.

Donger
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Whoah...howd on.

Stop the train...

http://www.jokedujour.com/battle/chicks-stop-train.jpg

They really shouldn't be wearing heels. That's dangerous.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
They really shouldn't be wearing heels. That's dangerous.

Silly man.

Modern day bankers aren't concerned with danger...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
Not worried about it.

Already had the talk with my management. Not interested in moving up in the company. Already done that when I was in the Army - last assignment, I was in charge of 85 people. I spent 95% of my time in useless meetings and doing paperwork. Did NOT enjoy it (shoulda gone Warrant when I had the chance).

Now, just give me an interesting assignment, tell me what you want and then go away. As long as I get the occasional cost-of-living raise, I'm perfectly happy and I'll let the others put in the 70-80 hours a week, working off the clock, to get ahead. More power to them.

Me, I'm quite content with 40 hours and more time with the family and doing stuff I want.

ClevelandBronco
I've revived two promotions in the last year. There is no way that happened regardless of my job performance without being viewed as a team player willing to work with others successfully. Unfortunately in today's business environment these BS team building exercises are viewed as "essential" if you want to move up in the company. It is what it is.:hmmm:

I didn't take into account the team building aspect. I just tend to like the people I work with.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Not worried about it.

Already had the talk with my management. Not interested in moving up in the company. Already done that when I was in the Army - last assignment, I was in charge of 85 people. I spent 95% of my time in useless meetings and doing paperwork. Did NOT enjoy it (shoulda gone Warrant when I had the chance).

Now, just give me an interesting assignment, tell me what you want and then go away. As long as I get the occasional cost-of-living raise, I'm perfectly happy and I'll let the others put in the 70-80 hours a week, working off the clock, to get ahead. More power to them.

Me, I'm quite content with 40 hours and more time with the family and doing stuff I want.

I believe him.

He's impossible to bull$#it...

Bwana
06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I've always gone to all of mine when I used to work for "The Man". They're important to team building and if you have any hopes of moving up. Let's be honest, Upper Mgmt wants to work with people who are effective but also people they like. If you're promoted to middle mgmt, you'll be spending time with upper mgmt. If they don't like you or haven't gotten to know you, you'll be bypassed by some young buck who went to the company functions. This stuff isn't rocket science.

Bingo

Demonpenz
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
I ususally go so I can just cover my bases and do what I can to be of service.

DJ's left nut
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Agreed.

You don't get to set the rules when you're trying to move up. If picnics aren't your thing (and they aren't mine), well you're just going to have to grit your teeth and get through them. Make your way up, then work on changing things.

Besides, it's not antipathy at work. Were I a BDIC, I wouldn't be terribly interested in putting people in leadership positions that show themselves to be either aloof or socially deficient. Sure, if you want to be a drone your whole life, the quality of your work is all that matters. But if you want to be a person who's trusted by his superiors to motivate subordinates, 'leading by example' doesn't exactly work in most corporate settings.

You have to establish yourself as someone that can communicate in a number of different situations with a diverse group of people. It shows you can effectively manage (as a middle manager) or promote (as a higher-up looking to gain clients or persuade people to your side of an argument). How one acts in a social setting gives you a good bit of insight into how they'll behave if something goes off the rails or isn't going precisely to script.

If you can't be bothered to spend a Saturday with the people you work with, I'd hate to have to have you be responsible for their productivity. Do you intend to shame them into production? Do you intend to motivate through fear?

It's just naive to me to suggest that someone's ability to get along socially with their peers isn't at all indicative of their ability to effectively manage and lead many of those same people.

Donger
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I believe him.

He's impossible to bull$#it...

Reported: filter evasion of a word that isn't filtered.

DJ's left nut
06-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Not worried about it.

And that's a perfectly acceptable response as well. Many people are in the same boat (my wife's exactly like this). There's nothing that says you have to do whatever it takes to get promoted. If you're completely content where you are - stay where you are.

But if PR wants to move up, he can't have that attitude.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Reported: filter evasion of a word that isn't filtered.

B L O W M E

Donger
06-13-2011, 11:14 AM
B L O W M E

LMAO

vailpass
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Agreed.

You don't get to set the rules when you're trying to move up. If picnics aren't your thing (and they aren't mine), well you're just going to have to grit your teeth and get through them. Make your way up, then work on changing things.

Besides, it's not antipathy at work. Were I a BDIC, I wouldn't be terribly interested in putting people in leadership positions that show themselves to be either aloof or socially deficient. Sure, if you want to be a drone your whole life, the quality of your work is all that matters. But if you want to be a person who's trusted by his superiors to motivate subordinates, 'leading by example' doesn't exactly work in most corporate settings.

You have to establish yourself as someone that can communicate in a number of different situations with a diverse group of people. It shows you can effectively manage (as a middle manager) or promote (as a higher-up looking to gain clients or persuade people to your side of an argument). How one acts in a social setting gives you a good bit of insight into how they'll behave if something goes off the rails or isn't going precisely to script.

If you can't be bothered to spend a Saturday with the people you work with, I'd hate to have to have you be responsible for their productivity. Do you intend to shame them into production? Do you intend to motivate through fear?

It's just naive to me to suggest that someone's ability to get along socially with their peers isn't at all indicative of their ability to effectively manage and lead many of those same people.

*shudder*

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I was going to reply to DJ, but there's really no point.

It's obvious we're approaching life from completely different directions.

All I know is I didn't make Sergeant First Class in just under 9 years and was up for Master Sergeant by 15 because of my ability to hang out and drink beers after work with the other Sergeants and I wasn't by-name selected for special assignments because of my ability to attend the Army Birthday Ball.

I got there because I busted my butt at work and no one ever had to worry about an assignment not getting done when I was in charge of it and my troops got well taken care of. I can be quite personable on the job . . . just don't see the reason to take time away from my family.

Been in management. Don't want to ever do that again.

I like being a techy. I like my free time.

Phobia
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM

All I know is I didn't make Sergeant First Class in just under 9 years and was up for Master Sergeant by 15 because of my ability to hang out and drink beers after work with the other Sergeants and I wasn't by-name selected for special assignments because of my ability to attend the Army Birthday Ball.

I got there because I busted my butt at work and no one ever had to worry about an assignment not getting done when I was in charge of it and my troops got well taken care of. I can be quite personable on the job . . . just don't see the reason to take time away from my family.

The rules are different for advancement in the military, I think. You're a likable guy and you're probably very efficient at what you do. You made your superiors look good and as long as that's happening and you're doing all the other things required by your branch of service you'll advance. It's a lot more arbitrary in the civilian sector. Pretty people with social skills get more opportunities. Unfair but a simple fact of life.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
The rules are different for advancement in the military, I think. You're a likable guy and you're probably very efficient at what you do. You made your superiors look good and as long as that's happening and you're doing all the other things required by your branch of service you'll advance. It's a lot more arbitrary in the civilian sector. Pretty people with social skills get more opportunities. Unfair but a simple fact of life.

And I'm trying to give them those opportunities. :thumb:

Like I said, let someone else go to all the meetings and do the financials and worry about growing the business and so forth. I'm content being a tech writer.

DJ's left nut
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM

I wasn't arguing with you, I was agreeing with you. Again - by all means, do what makes you happy. If you like what you're doing, keep doing it. But that's not what PR stated he wanted to do, so it's a different discussion.

And the Army is a place where leading by example works and works well. Everyday your men see what you do and how it applies to them. They see you kick ass and take names, do your job and do it effectively.

In most office situations, that isn't the case.

Simplex3
06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
In general I find that people who try and secure personal relationships at work are usually hoping that personal hook will cover up for their inability to actually do their job well.

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
In general I find that people who try and secure personal relationships at work are usually hoping that personal hook will cover up for their inability to actually do their job well.

In general I fired guys like you when I ran across them.

Simplex3
06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
In general I fired guys like you when I ran across them.

I'm very good at what I do, but I'm not going to have a beer with you after work. If we have work to do after hours that's fine, but if you're dragging it out bullshitting instead of staying focused that's on you. I'm going to get my part done and leave you there. I'll be friendly, and I'll work with people, and I'll help other people in the company. I'm a team player. But when the game's over I'm not hanging out in the locker room playing grabass.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM

*many members of BB step back and take a moment.*

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm very good at what I do, but I'm not going to have a beer with you after work. If we have work to do after hours that's fine, but if you're dragging it out bullshitting instead of staying focused that's on you. I'm going to get my part done and leave you there. I'll be friendly, and I'll work with people, and I'll help other people in the company. I'm a team player. But when the game's over I'm not hanging out in the locker room playing grabass.

Guys that are good at what they do are not difficult to find, especially in this market, I imagine. Unless the hiring process is handled improperly, the chances good are that wouldn't have been hired if you couldn't do the job. The intangibles are more difficult to spot in the hiring process. I can't wait long to pull the trigger on a guy if I think it won't damage the company's position.

Demonpenz
06-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Someone's Catholic is showing.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Someone's Catholic is showing.

Really?

Who?...

morphius
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
And I'm trying to give them those opportunities. :thumb:

Like I said, let someone else go to all the meetings and do the financials and worry about growing the business and so forth. I'm content being a tech writer.
I completely understand where you are coming from, management in the company I work for appears more nightmare than blessing. While I REALLY could use the pay bump, I'd absolutely would hate being a meeting junkie for the rest of my life.

tooge
06-13-2011, 12:22 PM
well, I own the company, and I'm not throwing any sort of "picnic". If they want to socialize outside of work, then good for them. We have a Christmas party and thats about it. I work with 9 women and it's all I can do to be hear till 5 PM listening to them bitch about things (mostly each other). so, no, no, and hell no.

Simplex3
06-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Guys that are good at what they do are not difficult to find, especially in this market, I imagine. Unless the hiring process is handled improperly, the chances good are that wouldn't have been hired if you couldn't do the job. The intangibles are more difficult to spot in the hiring process. I can't wait long to pull the trigger on a guy if I think it won't damage the company's position.

I'm a computer programmer with 20 years of experience and long list of satisfied clients. I turn down work almost every week. However I recognized long ago that people like you wound up in the corporate management structure and it's part of why I became a freelancer.

Rausch
06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
well, I own the company, and I'm not throwing any sort of "picnic". If they want to socialize outside of work, then good for them. We have a Christmas party and thats about it. I work with 9 women and it's all I can do to be hear till 5 PM listening to them bitch about things (mostly each other). so, no, no, and hell no.

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm a computer programmer with 20 years of experience and long list of satisfied clients. I turn down work almost every week. However I recognized long ago that people like you wound up in the corporate management structure and it's part of why I became a freelancer.

Nah. I've co-founded a couple of companies and sold out, but I'm on my own these days.

seclark
06-13-2011, 01:19 PM
about 1 out of every 5.
same w/the Christmas party.
sec

Demonpenz
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Went to christmas party told the boss off when I was drunk. Wife told me I had to go sober, I got secretly drunk told her off at the next christmas party. Picnic, gave the funnel cake vender a piece of my mind when I was drunk, my wife doesn't allow me to go to picnic's or get funnel cakes drunk anymore /sec

seclark
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Went to christmas party told the boss off when I was drunk. Wife told me I had to go sober, I got secretly drunk told her off at the next christmas party. Picnic, gave the funnel cake vender a piece of my mind when I was drunk, my wife doesn't allow me to go to picnic's or get funnel cakes drunk anymore /sec

LMAOam i repeating myself?LMAO
i do hat the damn funnel cake venders though.
sec

RNR
06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I have always avoided picnics and company parties. Quit going to them years ago. I have always busted my ass and have always had the respect of the guys on the floor. I will stop by after work and toss back a couple beers with the guys on the crew once in a while. I have no desire to hang out with the tassel shoe boys and watch the ass kissing fest~

Saulbadguy
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM

They will likely just think you are an asshole.

Next time, just say you are looking forward to it, but then don't show up. No one will be the wiser.

sedated
06-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I tend to either get wasted and discuss vulgar topics, or discuss getting wasted. It would probably be better for my career path to not go, but I enjoy the disgusted looks on their faces too much.

Contrarian
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I would go to a company function that occurs during work hours but many times the expectation is to attend these things on my time and I refuse to do that. Such as the last spring fling party 2 weeks ago that was held at the Boeing Flight Museum. It was on a Saturday evening from 6-11 and I just happened to have 3 tickets to see U2 at the same time. I saw U2 and sent photos of the show to everyone that attended the lame company drunkfest. Viewing old airplanes doesn't interest me in the slightest.

MOhillbilly
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
bono is rapeably soft

listopencil
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
My dad used to take me to his company's picnics, but they would rent out an entire amusement park, and they served beer/BBQ all day long. At my company so many people stopped going that they gave up. We spend the money on a free lunch four times a year instead. It's a massive cook out in the parking lot area and they bring the food in to us.

KurtCobain
06-13-2011, 07:26 PM
We have crappy dinners. And yeah I go. And I hate it.

morphius
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I would go to a company function that occurs during work hours but many times the expectation is to attend these things on my time and I refuse to do that. Such as the last spring fling party 2 weeks ago that was held at the Boeing Flight Museum. It was on a Saturday evening from 6-11 and I just happened to have 3 tickets to see U2 at the same time. I saw U2 and sent photos of the show to everyone that attended the lame company drunkfest. Viewing old airplanes doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Luckily all of ours are during working hours, which I don't mind at all. In a few weeks my team is all going bowling. After hours is a bit more complicated, if the people I liked were going I'd probably go. Or if there was free golf.

KurtCobain
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Luckily all of ours are during working hours, which I don't mind at all. In a few weeks my team is all going bowling.

Nice. Are you planning to cream them?

MIAdragon
06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I used to take all my guys to a bar and pick up the tab, my lawyer has since squashed those excursions due to liability issues. So I just give them the day off and 150 bucks to go have fun.

morphius
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice. Are you planning to cream them?
I'm sure hoping so, but it was their choice to go, and they know I finished with a 214 average this year.

KurtCobain
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm sure hoping so, but it was their choice to go, and they know I finished with a 214 average this year.

Good luck. You have to deal with those people every day win or lose. And you're a man, so you'd better win.

Bugeater
06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
My dad used to take me to his company's picnics, but they would rent out an entire amusement park, and they served beer/BBQ all day long. At my company so many people stopped going that they gave up. We spend the money on a free lunch four times a year instead. It's a massive cook out in the parking lot area and they bring the food in to us.
Now that I would be down with, the zoo thing was stupid. I would've just ended up walking around with my family which I could do any day of the year. Plus I'm not really all that crazy about the zoo, I've seen all of it before.

Psyko Tek
06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
my company functions are at a bar called the rocky point cantina
and last 6 to 7 hours
and they just bring us buckets of coronas( not my choice but the boss is buying)
not a bad place to work

can't wait to see what christmas party is

Backwards Masking
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Sady in today's day and age, in my experience, YES, if you expect to move up the company, you'd better be prepared to spend some free time and money (both of which you have to work for in the first place to acquire) BSing with your coworkers and pretending you care about them and their families and what they're into, even if you flat out despise them.

If you don't you're "not part of a team", "think Your time is more important than the company's", yada yada. It's not just about how hard you work while your on the clock or how much money you make the company, it's how much you pretend to care, how much ass you kiss, how good of an actor you are. At least in my experience.

If you plan to start your own business, make your living doing something creative, and have goals and aspirations you hope to attain OUTSIDE of just working for your company (especially if you make the mistake of talking about them), it's like Mike Singletary said " Can't play with em, can't win with 'em, can't do it." If you're too stupid, lazy or uncreative to do it on your own, you're actually better off in the corporate model than somebody independent. Which means you'll be at the company picnic next Sat. and get the promotion and raise that goes with it because you have nothing better to do.

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
My employer is having one in August. Its at a water park. Not interested.

Dante84
06-14-2011, 12:51 AM
bono is rapeably soft

....so.... soft as a baby's bottom?

Dante84
06-14-2011, 12:54 AM
My employer is having one in August. Its at a water park. Not interested.

Too many sit-ups, not enough time?

BigMeatballDave
06-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Too many sit-ups, not enough time?Its a water park. Im 40. Not interested. Now, if it were sooner while my son is here, sure i would take him.

Besides, I work at least 48 hours a week. I see these Fucking people enough as it is.

Over-Head
06-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Only ever went to 1 staff party, and realized the people I didn't really like at work, I REALLY didn't like when they were drunk.

As a company owner, I take my employees out twice a year for a Steak and Beer at a Grill house on a Thursday after work , hand em a cash bonus, and a paid 4 day weekend. Call it a party as such if you will that lasts about 2 hours.

Otter
06-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Let's see, between sleep and work that leaves me with about 60 hours a week to myself.

If that's not enough time for you to evaluate my performance that's on you.

I have no desire to move up to management as I enjoy my techie status so I'm not worried about that either. If you're looking for a new friend to play racquetball, golf or have some beers with after work I suggest joining a softball team or talk to the neighbor you've been avoiding eye contact with for the last 5 years that lives right across from you.

With the exception of a yearly Christmas party I'm a big believer in keeping business and friends separate. Try getting a life outside of work, it's pretty rewarding.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Let's see, between sleep and work that leaves me with about 60 hours a week to myself.

If that's not enough time for you to evaluate my performance that's on you.

I have no desire to move up to management as I enjoy my techie status so I'm not worried about that either. If you're looking for a new friend to play racquetball, golf or have some beers with after work I suggest joining a softball team or talk to the neighbor you've been avoiding eye contact with for the last 5 years that lives right across from you.

With the exception of a yearly Christmas party I'm a big believer in keeping business and friends separate. Try getting a life outside of work, it's pretty rewarding.

:thumb:

Between my martial arts, my family movie nights, visiting with my friends on the weekends and trying to wade through the growing pile of books on my "to be read" pile, I'm quite content to be social during work hours.

Oh, and I tend to avoid the holiday party - major expense for tickets, plus it's a tux and fancy dress affair that I see no reason to blow a bunch of money on to eat rubbery chicken from a caterer.

Iowanian
06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Why not go?
Some people are stuff in a work environment and pretty fun away from that mindframe.

You work with these people, why not try to get along, meet their families so you'll better understand who they are talking about, or know the wife when she's having a baby, or the kid when they get hurt. My biggest rule at things like this, is to never be the drunk guy. Making an ass of yourself, or being the guy who gets drunk and too honest isn't a good idea. Have fun, moderate, mingle and get opportunities to have conversations with managers about ideas, your future etc.

One of the services I've offered is a group outdoor "team building" activity that has gone over very well when we've done it. I've use the same activity for conferences, company days, and 7-12th grade gym classes.

Besides.....bonuses and prizes are often given out at these events.

bevischief
06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Only if it is doing working hours...

DMAC
06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Why not go?
Some people are stuff in a work environment and pretty fun away from that mindframe.

You work with these people, why not try to get along, meet their families so you'll better understand who they are talking about, or know the wife when she's having a baby, or the kid when they get hurt. My biggest rule at things like this, is to never be the drunk guy. Making an ass of yourself, or being the guy who gets drunk and too honest isn't a good idea. Have fun, moderate, mingle and get opportunities to have conversations with managers about ideas, your future etc.

One of the services I've offered is a group outdoor "team building" activity that has gone over very well when we've done it. I've use the same activity for conferences, company days, and 7-12th grade gym classes.

Besides.....bonuses and prizes are often given out at these events.

Sounds awful.

Iowanian
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I guess I'm lucky that I've actually liked about 90% of the people I've worked with over the past 15 years. I've had bbq at my home for coworkers, hosted fishing parties, have helped older ladies with flower beds and pouring patios, taken kids fishing, and hunted and shot skeet with others. In return, I've had them bring baskets and pamper me(before I was married) after injuries or surgeries, help with my kids and return friendship.

I've found that having a good relationship(when possible) with co-workers helps when things get rough at work too. I guess I've been fortunate in my work history to work with alot of really good people and a limited number of asswipes.

The last 2 emails I've received today have been from former coworkers asking my advice about something and just checking in.

Brock
06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
I like my coworkers too, but work is work. I don't mix it with my real life.

Lex Luthor
06-14-2011, 09:59 AM
A lot of posters in this thread have said that they have no desire ever to socialize with anyone they work with.

If that's your attitude, that's fine. More power to you. As long as you do your job and you do it well you'll probably keep your job, and hopefully your co-workers will take the hint and stay the hell away from you.

I view it a bit differently. I work in a company of around 500 people. There are assholes and jerks who work here, and I stay away from them. There are also some pretty decent people who work here. I've made some good friends at work over the last 20 years. We regularly play golf and poker together, we've played on softball teams together, and every now and then we'll go out and slam down a few beers together. It's all about being part of a community. If you prefer to be a loner you can certainly do that. I prefer to be part of a community.

We used to have a company party, and I always went to it and had a good time. Now that upper management has canceled the party because it just doesn't want to spend the money on it, I'm annoyed that they did that. I figure that it's a benefit that was taken away.

It's really all how you look at it. If you view going to a party or a picnic as a chore to be endured, that's what it will be. If you view it as an opportunity to suck up and kiss ass, that's all it will ever be, and not a very good one.

By the way, I manage an I/T technical team. I generally try to avoid hiring techies who have zero social skills, no matter how strong they are technically.

Otter
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
A lot of posters in this thread have said that they have no desire ever to socialize with anyone they work with.

If that's your attitude, that's fine. More power to you. As long as you do your job and you do it well you'll probably keep your job, and hopefully your co-workers will take the hint and stay the hell away from you.

I view it a bit differently. I work in a company of around 500 people. There are assholes and jerks who work here, and I stay away from them. There are also some pretty decent people who work here. I've made some good friends at work over the last 20 years. We regularly play golf and poker together, we've played on softball teams together, and every now and then we'll go out and slam down a few beers together. It's all about being part of a community. If you prefer to be a loner you can certainly do that. I prefer to be part of a community.

We used to have a company party, and I always went to it and had a good time. Now that upper management has canceled the party because it just doesn't want to spend the money on it, I'm annoyed that they did that. I figure that it's a benefit that was taken away.

It's really all how you look at it. If you view going to a party or a picnic as a chore to be endured, that's what it will be. If you view it as an opportunity to suck up and kiss ass, that's all it will ever be, and not a very good one.

By the way, I manage an I/T technical team. I generally try to avoid hiring techies who have zero social skills, no matter how strong they are technically.

So after spending 50 (do you pay them for lunch) hours a week at work and another 5 (average) driving too and from your employees might be able to keep their job because you can't respect the fact that they don't want to go to another work function on one of their two days off a week? They might have hobbies and friends and events that conflict and it's actually healthy to spend time away from work? And this means they have zero social skills?

I call total bullshit. I can totally respect the fact that they don't want to attend voluntary work functions on their off time. And replacing a good employee isn't easy and I'm sure you know. Especially for as petty and selfish as a reason that they don't want to spend their free time with people who they already see for 50 hours a week under often stressful conditions.

I'd be sure to make that known before you hire anyone else. Not liking it is one one thing but are so insecure that you'll threaten their job because your ego is being bruised because they don't want to play with you on the weekends?

Wow

Brock
06-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Not wanting to hang out with you on the weekends doesn't mean they have zero social skills.

pr_capone
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM

I work 4 10 hour days strictly so I can do school full time the other 3.

You would condemn me as an antisocial and a non team player because I would rather spent my ultra limited recreation time doing things I want vs hanging out with you and other co-workers?

Bob Dole
06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
You would condemn me as an antisocial and a non team player because I would rather spent my ultra limited recreation time doing things I want vs hanging out with you and other co-workers?

Only if you growl at coworkers who are silly enough to come stand in your office doorway.

(Which is, incidentally, how Bob Dole prefers to respond to people who insist on "dropping by" Bob Dole's office unannounced.)

Lex Luthor
06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
So after spending 50 (do you pay them for lunch) hours a week at work and another 5 (average) driving too and from your employees might be able to keep their job because you can't respect the fact that they don't want to go to another work function on one of their two days off a week? They might have hobbies and friends and events that conflict and it's actually healthy to spend time away from work? And this means they have zero social skills?

I call total bullshit. I can totally respect the fact that they don't want to attend voluntary work functions on their off time. And replacing a good employee isn't easy and I'm sure you know. Especially for as petty and selfish as a reason that they don't want to spend their free time with people who they already see for 50 hours a week under often stressful conditions.

I'd be sure to make that known before you hire anyone else. Not liking it is one one thing but are so insecure that you'll threaten their job because your ego is being bruised because they don't want to play with you on the weekends?

Wow
What part of "As long as you do your job and you do it well you'll probably keep your job, and hopefully your co-workers will take the hint and stay the hell away from you." didn't you understand?

When did I say anything about replacing a good employee? I said I try to avoid hiring techies with zero social skills. There's a difference.

After re-reading my original post, I can see why you inferred what you did about my threatening someone's job because they won't play with me on weekends. However, that's not the case, because I don't hang out with my employees outside of the office: I hang out with other people in the company who don't report to me.

However, I do give a hiring preference to candidates who are friendly and give the impression that they will be courteous and helpful. That's what I meant by social skills.

Lex Luthor
06-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Not wanting to hang out with you on the weekends doesn't mean they have zero social skills.
You're right. I probably shouldn't have put that in the post, because they are two entirely different things.

Bob Dole
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
What part of "As long as you do your job and you do it well you'll probably keep your job, and hopefully your co-workers will take the hint and stay the hell away from you." didn't you understand?

When did I say anything about replacing a good employee? I said I try to avoid hiring techies with zero social skills. There's a difference.

Otter was simply illustrating that he's a techie with limited social skills.

Otter
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM

You're implying that because a co-worker doesn't want to take part in social activity with people they spend their entire week with they lack social skills and their co-workers should 'stay the hell away from them' which isn't fair either. It's perfectly acceptable to and healthy to want to separate work and free time.

Different people have different motivators and it's a managers job to identify these and incorporate them into the workforce. My biggest motivator is getting the job done correctly so I can enjoy some time off with peace of mind with friends, family and hobbies. The worst thing in the world a manager could do to me is make me spend my Saturday with everyone I work with on some strong armed, social trip with people I need time away from. If friendships at work are going to happen they'll develop on their own and as long as two people can work together effectively and without conflict leave my scarce and precious free time the hell alone.

AND I HAVE A WONDERFUL ****ING PERSONALTY WITH UNLIMITED SOCIAL SKILLS!!! :cuss:

Okie_Apparition
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
After all the cash you rake in selling office supplies on ebay, it's only fair

pr_capone
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
AND I HAVE A WONDERFUL ****ING PERSONALTY WITH UNLIMITED SOCIAL SKILLS!!! :cuss:

LMAO

Backwards Masking
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
(I]The worst thing in the world a manager could do to me is make me spend my Saturday with everyone I work with on some strong armed, social trip with people I need time away from[/I) Posted By Otter

Bingo

I think it's funny none of the company men defending this Shameful practice of company picnics cared to retort to my first post here where I basically said they were too stupid, lazy and uncreative to ever make it on their own and showed up to this stuff because they, quite literally, have nothing better to do. They remind me of fairly new born piglets scampering and crawling on top of one another to be the first to feed off of Mother Pig's Milky Teat.

If you help make your company bank that's REALLY all that should matter. Simplex's post a few pages back was spot on.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
(I]The worst thing in the world a manager could do to me is make me spend my Saturday with everyone I work with on some strong armed, social trip with people I need time away from[/I) Posted By Otter

Bingo

I think it's funny none of the company men defending this Shameful practice of company picnics cared to retort to my first post here where I basically said they were too stupid, lazy and uncreative to ever make it on their own and showed up to this stuff because they, quite literally, have nothing better to do. They remind me of fairly new born piglets scampering and crawling on top of one another to be the first to feed off of Mother Pig's Milky Teat.

If you help make your company bank that's REALLY all that should matter. Simplex's post a few pages back was spot on.

All true in an ideal world however this isn't an ideal world. When budget gets tight and someone has to get cut the guy on the outside is the head that rolls.

Backwards Masking
06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
All true in an ideal world however this isn't an ideal world. When budget gets tight and someone has to get cut the guy on the outside is the head that rolls. Posted by Vailpass.

Yes I agree, but I've seen people who bust ass every 40 hour week get let go while lazy turds who do just enough work not to get fired retian their positions (with promotions later on) get to stay because they kissed the right ass publicly on a regular basis. That, IMO, is a total injustice and also, NOT in the best interest of the company.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
All true in an ideal world however this isn't an ideal world. When budget gets tight and someone has to get cut the guy on the outside is the head that rolls. Posted by Vailpass.

Yes I agree, but I've seen people who bust ass every 40 hour week get let go while lazy turds who do just enough work not to get fired retian their positions (with promotions later on) get to stay because they kissed the right ass publicly on a regular basis. That, IMO, is a total injustice and also, NOT in the best interest of the company.

Oh yes, there is often no explaining why things happen they way they do in the corporate world. The Peter Principle is on display each and every day there, or at least it was when I was in the middle of it.

FWIW one of the reasons I left big corp. was because I couldn't stand playing the games I had to play to keep my positoin and gain the next one. But it is a reality.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Bingo

Because some forms of inane idiocy don't merit a response. However, as you clearly believe you have won this empty chair interview of yours, I'll humor you.

I'm good at my job...pretty damn good in fact. However, I've locked horns with our partners on a handful of occasions over the last few years. I do this in large part because I feel I've 'spread my wings' to some degree and don't appreciate being dictated to. However, I also do so because within our management structure I have a handful of very strong benefactors that will ensure that my job will never be in peril. Perhaps not coincidentally, many of those benefactors are people I consider close friends of mine.

It gives me the latitude to go out on branches I would otherwise not go on (and has, on an occasion, allowed me to saw that MFer right off with me standing on it). It allows me to dig in my heels and announce my presence with authority to my superiors. It has led to an independence and an attitude which has given me 'converts' as well as had me in charge of one of our 4 active states by the time I was 27.

Now, were I a worthless POS of an employee, those friendships and relationships wouldn't do me a bit of good. Then again, without those friendships, I'm pretty damn certain that at least a couple of those wars I've had would've gotten me at the very least a suspension, if not termination on one occasion (lemme tell ya, that was a fun day). There aren't many people that have had the freedom to actually go chest to chest with their employer's founding partner and walk away from it unscathed. In fact, that maverick approach has earned me the respect of that same individual.

Sometimes the relationships you make do more than allow you to get along. They allow you to stand up and place yourself above others. They allow to you take risks others don't take because you know that net is there. I guarantee you that I'm the only Associate in my firm that has been able to take the aggressive stances I've taken w/r/t many of my actions. And when those stances are validated, it makes me look that much better. When they aren't, I remain protected. In either event, they're risks I can take that others can't in large part because I have both my overall competency and the support of people that I would call my friends.

But again, feel free to ignore reality if you'd like.

Jawshco
06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm on the other side of things, as an HR director. I'm required to go and help organize these things in several regions throughout California. I do my best to make sure we're doing things that our employees like and care about. We're a Christian non-profit, so our company culture is pretty positive and close knit. I've known a lot of these people a long while, and genuinely do like being around them. We use our picnics to express to our employees how much we appreiciate them. So we mostly give out awards, do raffles, have the managers cook and serve the food, do raffles for cool prizes. We almost always do it during work hours because we know people prize their off time, and more importantly, we keep it short.

While some companies see these events as primarily a team building opportunity, we view it as more of a employee recognition and appreiciation event. We get good turn outs in the areas where we have these events, and the feedback I get is very positive. However, in our couple areas where people don't seem to like these events, we've stopped doing them. Employee Satisfaction is key to getting the best performance, but you really have to know your employees and know what they feel is important or events like these are a waste of time. It's very successful with our employees, but it won't work every where, and with everybody.

As far as advancement being related to these picnics, I'm
surprised to hear what some of you are saying. Maybe I've worked at one company for too long to know what other company cultures are like, but the thought of that never crossed my mind. If someone doesn't show, we generally assume we didn't do something right, or they were just too busy. No affect on promotions at all. I could Imagine that a 1st line supervisor or above not attending could be frowned upon (not really applicable in my company since I work my entire ops team to put these things together), but I can't see why it would affect direct laborers from getting promotions.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
HR in California? Dear God how do you stand those people? God's blessing on you for dealing with the wackiest employment laws anywhere. maybe the Christian thing shields you from some of it.

Backwards Masking
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
How am I ignoring reality when I AGREED from my first post and beyond here that going to the Company picnic is mandatory if one wants to get ahead in the corporate model?

You can toot your own horn about your relationships bailing you out and allowing you more freedom to present ideas and make mistakes, I agree with you there too. I also agreed with Vailpass that if two employees OF EQUAL ABILITY are on the chopping block and one pats his coworkers on the butt outside of work and the other doesn't it's the one who spends their free time on their own that's getting the ax. But i disagree with you when you say your relationships help make your good ideas even better, the good idea is what made you look good, nothing else. Furthermore, if I'm running a company you can tow my company line ad nauseum (like you just did for four paragraphs), I don't care one iota about that if it's not helping me grow and survive and make money. That's not idiocy, it's business. As you can probably tell, I've spent some time in corporate America, and that's why I'm doing everything I can to become self employed. But I can't become self employed if I have to spend every f'in weekend hanging out with coworkers I'm getting burned out on for the sake of "proving my relationship status". Maybe my Piglets sloberring all over Mommy Pig's Teat was a little harsh, sorry about that, but it's that kind of attitude that ruins both my chance at making it with a company AND making it on my own cause I have to spend time competing with brown nosers instead of doing something THAT ACTUALLY MAKES ME MONEY, hence my attitude.

If you ever planned on starting your own company or being self employed you'd understand my hatred of Company Picnics.

BigRedChief
06-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I like my coworkers too, but work is work. I don't mix it with my real life.I agree. I can count on one hand people I'd consider friends in my private life that I met first at work.

But, I'll still attend the team building and social functions because I care about getting along with my co-workers and showing management that I'ma team player even if I think their idea/process/activity is BS.

Jawshco
06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
HR in California? Dear God how do you stand those people? God's blessing on you for dealing with the wackiest employment laws anywhere. maybe the Christian thing shields you from some of it.

Well, it's certainly not easy, but you're correct that being a religious non-profit, does exempt us from some of the more tricky laws, but certainly not all of them! I think being from Missouri, and having a more Midwestern approach helped me gain favor with my bosses, especially since our business is headquartered in Wisconsin. I'm like an interpreter!

Brock
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I agree. I can count on one hand people I'd consider friends in my private life that I met first at work.

But, I'll still attend the team building and social functions because I care about getting along with my co-workers and showing management that I'ma team player even if I think their idea/process/activity is BS.

What's everybody talk about at these things? Work. No thank you. That's why I don't hang with people from work.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Well, it's certainly not easy, but you're correct that being a religious non-profit, does exempt us from some of the more tricky laws, but certainly not all of them! I think being from Missouri, and having a more Midwestern approach helped me gain favor with my bosses, especially since our business is headquartered in Wisconsin. I'm like an interpreter!

Good on you.
I worked a large project a few years back where we could hire people from all over the US to work virtually. California labor laws, compensation laws, their version of FMLA. etc. made it so one sided in favor of the employee that we plain decided to quit hiring anyone from California.

durtyrute
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Ours used to be cool. We'd all go bowling and get smashed, great times. But, they stopped doing them a while back.........I never found out why.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
What's everybody talk about at these things? Work. No thank you. That's why I don't hang with people from work.

We talk about the females we work with, who are borderline at best, and how much we would want to bang them.

listopencil
06-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Ours used to be cool. We'd all go bowling and get smashed, great times. But, they stopped doing them a while back.........I never found out why.

Because dipshits will get drunk and stupid, do something to hurt themselves, then blame the company for providing alcohol. It's the same mentality as blaming McDonalds for your fat kids, but apparently it works in the legal system.

Backwards Masking
06-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow, Listopencil just gave me my first logical reason for ever attending a company picnic, LOL. Not that I have the spine, lawyers or money to try it.

DTLB58
06-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Because dipshits will get drunk and stupid, do something to hurt themselves, then blame the company for providing alcohol. It's the same mentality as blaming McDonalds for your fat kids, but apparently it works in the legal system.

Because alcohol and work realted events don't mesh. People always act/say things they shouldn't.