PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues America, Are the good days ahead of us or behind us ?

ROYC75
06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Which is it?

Be specific, go into detail as to why you feel this way?

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 11:46 AM
WOW, such optimism.

Could ole Merle Haggard of had it right in 1983 at the beginning of his song, Are the Good Times Really over for Good.

Is the best of the free life behind us now?
Are the good times really over for good?

To only end with this ?

The best of the free life is still yet to come,
The good times ain't over for good.

Donger
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I'd like to be optimistic, but I can't help but stare at our debt and think otherwise.

Brock
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Just curious, when were the good days?

teedubya
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd like to be optimistic, but I can't help but stare at our debt and think otherwise.

This. I finally agree with Donger about something.

The debt is a direct result of waging wars on numerous fronts and spending 600Billion to 800 Billion a year on Dept of Defense.

It's asinine.

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 12:00 PM

It was good in the old days, everybody knows this.;)

FTR, it has to of been before now because right now looks pretty bleak.

Donger
06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

The debt is a direct result of waging wars on numerous fronts and spending 600Billion to 800 Billion a year on Dept of Defense.

It's asinine.

Put me back on ignore, buddy.

teedubya
06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Put me back on ignore, buddy.

You are on ignore... I'm on Chrome right now so I can see you, "buddy". LMAO

Saulbadguy
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Current. I look ahead and i'm a tad pessimistic.
I look behind and think "fuck that". Things seemed much worst 50 years ago.

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 12:04 PM

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y1_NhnXMCKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mlyonsd
06-14-2011, 12:06 PM

It's asinine.

You should Google the word 'entitlements'.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM

It's asinine.

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Donger
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
You are on ignore... I'm on Chrome right now so I can see you, "buddy". LMAO

Awesome. Care to update any of your predictions?

Dollar collapse = long overdue. Years overdue, in fact.

New Madrid Quake?

Japan falling into the Pacific?

Seen any more radar rings recently?

Bump
06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
the corruption in this country is too deep to care anymore. The only thing that will change anything is an apocalypse or another civil war.

whoman69
06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
People always talk about the good old days because they forgot how crappy they really were. Probably just remembering a time when they didn't have arthritis.

whoman69
06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
the corruption in this country is too deep to care anymore. The only thing that will change anything is an apocalypse or another civil war.

Yeah, corruption, brand new isn't it?

HonestChieffan
06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
When I see the decline in the populations dedication to the country and the abysmal state of the people we elect, I cannot see much hope things will ever be as good in the future as it was for my generation.

The values people have today will not create great opportunity and growth and innovation like it did in the 40's and 50's.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Which is it?

Be specific, go into detail as to why you feel this way?

These are the very best of times. Better than ever in history and there is absolutely no question about it. I wake up everyday excited for what new thing or discovery there is. I'd love to be 18 again so I could experience even more of the awesomeness to come.

Bump
06-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, corruption, brand new isn't it?

no, but it's much worse now than it was before. I mean, this country did recently kill over 5,000 of it's own people so a few people could get richer. People die every day in the hospital because insurance drops them even though they could be fixed with an hour of a doctor's time. Water is being taken away, the Chinese are gonna want their money back at some point and the top 1% are all building big secret shelters and buying up the water. Shit is going to hit the fan in less than 10 years and I'll be prepared and look down at all of the idiots who think ignorance is bliss.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
People always talk about the good old days because they forgot how crappy they really were. Probably just remembering a time when they didn't have arthritis.

Everyone remembers when they were 12 and didn't have any cares or knowledge of politics or of gasp girls, and think that it was a more peaceful, innocent time. Yes it was FOR THEM.

Only the most simple minded are taken in by this illusion and normal people can see past it.

This IS the greatest time in history without a single doubt.

Donger
06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I mean, this country did recently kill over 5,000 of it's own people so a few people could get richer.

:spock:

Bump
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM

9/11

I guess it's not that recent anymore, but it seems so

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Current. I look ahead and i'm a tad pessimistic.
I look behind and think "**** that". Things seemed much worst 50 years ago.

Way, way worse. Horrible actually. I was there.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:22 PM
9/11

Saulbadguy
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
9/11

Teedubya has found a new buddy.

Saulbadguy
Way, way worse. Horrible actually. I was there.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Donger
9/11

I presume that you are joking.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Awesome. Care to update any of your predictions?

Dollar collapse = long overdue. Years overdue, in fact.

New Madrid Quake?

Japan falling into the Pacific?

Seen any more radar rings recently?

Quoted for Teedubya. Hi Dinger :)

Brock
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
no, but it's much worse now than it was before. I mean, this country did recently kill over 5,000 of it's own people so a few people could get richer. People die every day in the hospital because insurance drops them even though they could be fixed with an hour of a doctor's time. Water is being taken away, the Chinese are gonna want their money back at some point and the top 1% are all building big secret shelters and buying up the water. Shit is going to hit the fan in less than 10 years and I'll be prepared and look down at all of the idiots who think ignorance is bliss.

LMAO

Donger
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Quoted for Teedubya. Hi Dinger :)

Shit. I forgot about everyone dying because of Fukushima.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 12:31 PM

The good old days were when Bills Tap was in it's old location next to Ole's Ham & Egger. When Edison's pharmacy was still open, and the Danish Maid Bakery sat next to Box Car Hobby on 7th avenue. When you could get a pizza from Mr. Bills all cut into little squares.

When you could go to Thomas Park and seine for crawdad's in Indian Creek to sell to Marion Live Bait then buy a snow cone from the shack on Town square or go see Linn Mar-Marion butt heads on a Friday night football game.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I will say one thing the number of batshit crazy end of the world motherfuckers is leaping of the charts currently.

Donger
06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I will say one thing the number of batshit crazy end of the world mother****ers is leaping of the charts currently.

Recessions are funny things.

Brock
06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
The good old days were when Bills Tap was in it's old location next to Ole's Ham & Egger. When Edison's pharmacy was still open, and the Danish Maid Bakery sat next to Box Car Hobby on 7th avenue. When you could get a pizza from Mr. Bills all cut into little squares.

When you could go to Thomas Park and seine for crawdad's in Indian Creek to sell to Marion Live Bait then buy a snow cone from the shack on Town square or go see Linn Mar-Marion butt heads on a Friday night football game.

and then you turned 12 and everything changed.

|Zach|
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:260617" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>

Saulbadguy
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I will say one thing the number of batshit crazy end of the world motherfuckers is leaping of the charts currently.

They've always existed - but they have the internet to spread their dumbassery now.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:37 PM
They've always existed - but they have the internet to spread their dumbassery now.

I'm torn, should I feel relieved or should I feel sick? Tough call really.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Then I had my sons and am now geting to live it all over again. Fucking fantastic.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Sometimes my earlier prophetic posts amaze even me.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Sometimes my earlier prophetic posts amaze even me.

Did you foresee yourself becoming a limp-wristed lefty with sandis vagis syndrome?

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
gas was 40 cents, beer was $2 a sixer, 4 fingers of panama red was $10, a concert was $2.50, and my rent in north beach san fran was $180 .. those were much better times

Demonpenz
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
all I have to do is look at our company picnic's attendence to know where this country is heading

Brock
06-14-2011, 12:56 PM
gas was 40 cents, beer was $2 a sixer, 4 fingers of panama red was $10, a concert was $2.50, and my rent in north beach san fran was $180 .. those were much better times

And 50,000 Americans were getting killed in Vietnam. Great times!

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 12:57 PM

And you got paid how much then?

FD
06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Humans have a natural tendency for nostalgia, but realistically we are living in the greatest era that humanity has known, and despite a temporary blip the future is brighter than ever.

For instance, compare today to the 40's and 50's. Decades of high economic growth have made the standard of living is massively higher, you no longer have huge segments of society facing horrible oppressed based on their skin color or gender in the US. The democratic form of government is steadily spreading across the globe, replacing Communist and Fascist tyrants and billions have been lifted out of poverty.

I honestly can't imagine how someone could look back a few decades and call that era "the good old days."

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Did you foresee yourself becoming a limp-wristed lefty with sandis vagis syndrome?

No I didn't foresee that I would be regularly entertained by gender confused people afraid of everything to the point of living in gated communities, driving the biggest tank of a vehicle and worrying constantly about "them".

I had no idea such entertainment would be my daily fare, and I thank you for all the guffaws and laugh out loud moments you have provided. You truly are an inspiration to the highest levels of entertainment. Well done :thumb:

vailpass
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Did you not have a good childhood? This is the second time you've tried to piss in someone's cheerios for recollecting good days gone by.

Brock
06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Did you not have a good childhood? This is the second time you've tried to piss in someone's cheerios for recollecting good days gone by.

That's pretty funny considering all the bitching and moaning you do around here.

Pants
06-14-2011, 01:11 PM

He's just providing him with perspective.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
That's pretty funny considering all the bitching and moaning you do around here.

What you call bitching and moaning I call the Fantastic Rainbow Bridge to Enlightenment.
Climb on board!

vailpass
06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
He's just providing him with perspective.

I guess you are right. Still seems like trying to bring clouds on a sunny day. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your past so long as you are living your present.

Brock
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I guess you are right. Still seems like trying to bring clouds on a sunny day. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your past so long as you are living your present.

It's nostalgic bullshit.

vailpass
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
It's nostalgic bullshit.

Did somebody not get enough hugs when he was little?

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I honestly can't imagine how someone could look back a few decades and call that era "the good old days."

I honestly can't imagine looking ahead and seeing the poor, poorer, the richer, richer and the countries debt being gazillions of dollars instead of just a few 14 trillion unless we can get this ship turned around.

I can understand the modern technology making things simple, it's made the political crooks simpler to destroy the country. It's made outside hackers a lot simpler to accent somebody's account, destroying Americans one at a time. The moral decay of Americans, just people in general is worst, people wanted their lives simple. Looking ahead we don't have to let the government protect people of religious faith, we can let the government protect the people from religious faith.

No, but we still have senseless wars. Some are still currently going on because of the "Good Old Days " To Come !

Yes, things were much simpler then, but do not rule out the "Now Crowd ", things are better and will only get better.;)

oldandslow
06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
From 100 million years ago until 1850, human population stayed under 1 billion. By 1930 it was 2 billion, by 1960 3 billion, 1980 4 billion and today 7 billion. By 2050 we will be at 11 billion.

If you think better times are in front of us, then you haven't been paying attention.

The good Reverand Malthus didn't count on the 1960's agricultural revolution, but no matter. It just pushed up the date a few years.

Too much of a specie amidst declining resources has been played out in nature a zillion times. Always with the same results. The idea of human exceptionalism just proves that psychological denial is a powerful force.

Brock
06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
From 100 million years ago until 1850, human population stayed under 1 billion. By 1930 it was 2 billion, by 1960 3 billion, 1980 4 billion and today 7 billion. By 2050 we will be at 11 billion.

If you think better times are in front of us, then you haven't been paying attention.

Malthus didn't count on the 1960's agricultural revolution, but no matter. It just pushed up the date a few years.

Too much of a specie amidst declining resources has been played out in nature a zillion times. Always with the same results. The idea of human exceptionalism just proves that psychological denial is a powerful force.

What with all the starving people and water shortages and riots in the streets I can barely make it to work every day. LOL at scared people.

oldandslow
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
What with all the starving people and water shortages and riots in the streets I can barely make it to work every day. LOL at scared people.

Yeah, you hit that housing collapse on the nose as well. Cornucopians never cease to amaze me.

jiveturkey
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I would image that there will come a day when the planet can't support all of us. That will be followed by a long period of terribleness, which we'll learn from and be better for in the future.

Either way I more often than not look forward to tomorrow instead of yesterday.

Brock
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, you hit that housing collapse on the nose as well. Cornucopians never cease to amaze me.

Yeah, and you thought Obama was one of your fellow sobsisters. If you really believe your population bomb bullshit, why did you have kids?

Donger
06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

The good Reverand Malthus didn't count on the 1960's agricultural revolution, but no matter. It just pushed up the date a few years.

Yes, I miss the days of mass deaths due to a lack of sanitation and basic medical care.

HonestChieffan
06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Are there no work houses? And the prisons still in operation?

loochy
06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
9/11

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

that was the sixties. I'm referring to the seventies. you know something about any of this from being there? or are you going by what you can google... cuz man, times in america were a lot lot better.

after vietnam vets came home, the country began to changed. the older generation thot they were bums for losing. the gov't wouldn't take any extra effort to help, vets lined some streets in wheelchairs and boxes.. things were still cheep, but change was occuring. america didn't give a shit about vietnam after it was over. then came the eighties. the economy crashed, corporate taxes went sky high, outsourcing & downsizing became the thing to do. a few got rich while many mortgaged everything in hopes there would b better times again. we been plugging holes with false hope every since.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Well on that front its only a billion years till the sun explodes. We ARE ALL DOOMED!!!!

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
that was the sixties. I'm referring to the seventies. you know something about any of this from being there? or are you going by what you can google... cuz man, times in america were a lot lot better.

after vietnam vets came home, the country began to changed. the older generation thot they were bums for losing. the gov't wouldn't take any extra effort to help, vets lined some streets in wheelchairs and boxes.. things were still cheep, but change was occuring. america didn't give a shit about vietnam after it was over. then came the eighties. the economy crashed, corporate taxes went sky high, outsourcing & downsizing became the thing to do. a few got rich while many mortgaged everything in hopes there would b better times again. we been plugging holes with false hope every since.

I don't even know what to say to this sack of bullcrap.

Radar Chief
06-14-2011, 04:51 PM
that was the sixties. I'm referring to the seventies.

:facepalm: We didnít pull out of Saigon until í75.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, I miss the days of mass deaths due to a lack of sanitation and basic medical care.

and don't forget when the world was flat, some fell to their deaths

Brock
06-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Good grief. You must have been living in a bubble.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM

most of the 60k deaths occured during the sixties. the seventies were mere occupation

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Good grief. You must have been living in a bubble.

how old are you?

Brock
06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
how old are you?

Old enough to remember Nixon, recessions, gas lines, religious kooks committing mass suicide, towelheads holding americans hostage, etc.

You must be a Boomer.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:58 PM

March 31, 2004
American History Blog Archives

ę March 30, 2004 | Main

United States Leaves Vietnam

On March 29, 1973, two months after signing the Vietnam peace agreement, the last U.S. troops leave South Vietnam when Hanoi freed the remaining American prisoners of war. Seven thousand U.S. Department of Defense employees remained in South Vietnam to help aid in the ongoing battle with North Vietnam.

drama much?

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Old enough to remember Nixon, recessions, gas lines, religious kooks committing mass suicide, towelheads holding americans hostage, etc.

You must be a Boomer.

how old are you, cuz I don't think you remember shit about vietnam or the seventies

jiveturkey
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Violent crime and property crime were both on the raise during the good ole 70's.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/06/US_Violent_Crime_Rate.jpg/800px-US_Violent_Crime_Rate.jpg
The violent crime rate of the United States, 1960 to 2005.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/33/US_Property_Crime_Rate.jpg/800px-US_Property_Crime_Rate.jpg
The property crime rate of the US, 1960 to 2005.

And Jimmy Carter was President for a portion of the decade.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
coincedentally, america's economy turned to shit during the seventies. wonder if there's correlation... nah, that would b conspiracy talk.....

Brock
06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
how old are you, cuz I don't think you remember shit about vietnam or the seventies

You're going to have to elaborate. Feel free to tell me what was so great about the seventies, and try to keep the Boomer nostalgia bullshit to a minimum.

WilliamTheIrish
06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
The 70's brought the country Wage and Price controls. Four years worth in all. The oil embargo followed that. Waiting in line to be told you could buy $5 worth of gas or they were dry.
Hostage crisis in Iran. The decade was still great. I was a kid. That stuff didn't affect me.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
You're going to have to elaborate. Feel free to tell me what was so great about the seventies, and try to keep the Boomer nostalgia bullshit to a minimum.

Damn dude, are you seeing someone who let you lay down on a couch while you talk 2 or 3 times a week?

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I'll tell you something else about the seventies that only ppl that were paying attn at the time knew; the gov't closed most mental health facilities & put those fuckstix on the streets. that's when shit got outta hand. crime went way up. suddenly there were tens of thousands of wackos to sell narcotics to & it was convenient since they lived on the streets. next thing you know, projects go up & so does drugs - both in use & co$t..

it's funny to read all the experts talk about how the crack times were most violent, cuz cocaine was heavily used by the disco dance generation just a decade b4 & well, not really know as a violent crowd those disco freeks...

lol ya, when times go bad, shit gets bad... imagine that

Jenson71
06-14-2011, 05:15 PM
In the next century, I think we're going to enter a period of downsizing government and social safety nets. American workers are going to struggle with increasing globalization. Everything, including business, is going to become more international. It's going to be a time of uncertainty and less stability than Americans have come to know.

Other countries, including Brazil, China, India, are going to increase as major players on the world scene. Terrorism, the Middle East, and nuclear weapons in the hands of our enemies will remain a concern, and we will still budget a lot of money for that.

Meanwhile, cultural institutions will decrease in influence and prestige. Commerce will challenge nation-states for political and economic supremacy.

Is this good or bad? It depends on what you think is good or bad, obviously. From my point of view, I think Post-World War II was probably the greatest era to live in. Our nation was one of the two strongest nations in the world, we knew our enemy and we shared a common cultural heritage with them, almost everyone worked well and could support a family if they wanted to.

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Every generation is going to coin theirs was the best. It was cheaper to live in the 60's vs 70's, likewise the 70's vs 80's and so on. But the fall of America started in the 70's economic wise. Sure there were hard times in the Great Depression all the way up to the 50's. Many old timers I know claim the Good Old Days started around 1950 to 1965.

However,just like many young people here will tell us the current time is the Good Days in America History, as well the even younger yet will tell us the future is the best of times.

I just thought it would be interesting to get everybody's perspective on where are / is America's Best days ?

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 05:23 PM

dude I luv your abbey road avitar - seventies rawk.. that's what. hell, your pants are likely a seventies knock off. the new mustang? 70 fastback knock off. need I go on? no

Jenson71
06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
In the next century, I think we're going to enter a period of downsizing government and social safety nets. American workers are going to struggle with increasing globalization. Everything, including business, is going to become more international. It's going to be a time of uncertainty and less stability than Americans have come to know.

Other countries, including Brazil, China, India, are going to increase as major players on the world scene. Terrorism, the Middle East, and nuclear weapons in the hands of our enemies will remain a concern, and we will still budget a lot of money for that.

Meanwhile, cultural institutions will decrease in influence and prestige. Commerce will challenge nation-states for political and economic supremacy.

Is this good or bad? It depends on what you think is good or bad, obviously. From my point of view, I think Post-World War II was probably the greatest era to live in. Our nation was one of the two strongest nations in the world, we knew our enemy and we shared a common cultural heritage with them, almost everyone worked well and could support a family if they wanted to.

If you are raising a child at this time, I advise you to seriously concern yourself with their education in science, math, and languages like Russian, Chinese/Mandarin, or Spanish.

|Zach|
06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
However,just like many young people here will tell us the current time is the Good Days in America History, as well the even younger yet will tell us the future is the best of times.

I just thought it would be interesting to get everybody's perspective on where are / is America's Best days ?

I don't really think of society as a whole and the way it trends having as much effect on me as some others do.

You make your own good days and bad days by the decisions you make.

Life is what you make of it not what the consensus of people feel like it is.

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't really think of society as a whole and the way it trends having as much effect on me as some others do.

So true on a personal note, but the OP was in reference to America.

Ace Gunner
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM

this is living life in a bubble NTTAWWT

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Every generation is going to coin theirs was the best. It was cheaper to live in the 60's vs 70's, likewise the 70's vs 80's and so on. But the fall of America started in the 70's economic wise. Sure there were hard times in the Great Depression all the way up to the 50's. Many old timers I know claim the Good Old Days started around 1950 to 1965.

You really did reproduce didn't you? Wasn't that like the downturn moment?

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 08:43 PM
this is living life in a bubble NTTAWWT

My life has never been better. Does that mean I'm living in a bubble too?

patteeu
06-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Before I answer your poll, I need to know a couple of things. Do voters really support the idea of deficit reduction, even if it means significant reform to the tax code, medicare, and social security and does Obama win re-election?

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
You really did reproduce didn't you? Wasn't that like the downturn moment?

You should ask this of yourself when looking in the mirror, daily.

Simplex3
06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
America is clearly in a decline. It's spending record amounts of money it doesn't have and the standard of living is still dropping.

Now ask the better question: Am I going down with it or am I willing to jump ship and leave?

Jaric
06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Meh. All empires fall eventually.

:shrug:

Saul Good
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Housing collapsed because there were too many people in need of houses, and supply couldn't keep up with demand, right?

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
America is clearly in a decline. It's spending record amounts of money it doesn't have and the standard of living is still dropping.

Now ask the better question: Am I going down with it or am I willing to jump ship and leave?

I don't think leaving is the answer. America has been down before and came back. The will of the people has to stick together and stand up to our elected officials.

But you clearly hit it dead on with the America is clearly in the decline.

Simplex3
06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't think leaving is the answer. America has been down before and came back. The will of the people has to stick together and stand up to our elected officials.

But you clearly hit it dead on with the America is clearly in the decline.

Why the hell not? My allegiance isn't to some notion of a physical place, it's to my wife and kids. If their lives (and mine) will be better off in some other country then I'll wave on the way out.

"The American people" won't ever take their country back. By the time things are so bad the welfare queens and CEOs are feeling the pinch there won't be anything left to save.

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Why the hell not? My allegiance isn't to some notion of a physical place, it's to my wife and kids. If their lives (and mine) will be better off in some other country then I'll wave on the way out.

"The American people" won't ever take their country back. By the time things are so bad the welfare queens and CEOs are feeling the pinch there won't be anything left to save.

I understand your resentment, I do. But honestly, I couldn't afford to leave!;)

Jaric
06-14-2011, 09:39 PM
The list of places I could see myself living outside of America is incredibly short. Like possibly 2 or 3 places.

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks to the escalation of war on the middle class by the privileged elite...and the cooperation by politicians from both parties....they could be "behind us."

:shake:

I never believed I would live to say that. But it's true. :huh:

Backwards Masking
06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm a noob poster, but a longtime lurker. Never thought I'd live to see the day when Cotter would say such a thing. What a sad state of affairs. Not much I can offer in terms of optimism.

ROYC75
06-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks to the escalation of war on the middle class by the privileged elite...and the cooperation by politicians from both parties....they could be "behind us."

It is sad that BIG GOVERNMENT is the biggest reason leading us down this road. But at the same time, we Americans are at fault FOR not realizing that crooked politicians were the reasons of BIG GOVERNMENT.

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm a noob poster, but a longtime lurker. Never thought I'd live to see the day when Cotter would say such a thing. What a sad state of affairs. Not much I can offer in terms of optimism.

I'm with you, I'm with you.... :huh:

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
It is sad that BIG GOVERNMENT is the biggest reason leading us down this road. But at the same time, we Americans are at fault FOR not realizing that crooked politicians were the reasons of BIG GOVERNMENT.

Bullshit.

The Babyboomers are the ones leading us down this road. YOUR generation, and "mine." We suck Bad.

How bad? We are not only the generation of me-me-me and entitlement, but worse...we have passed it on to our kids.

That is the ONLY reason politicians pander and cow-tow to voters....to preserve the entitlement trap.

Shame on politicians for "buyin' in" and pandering.

But, worse, shame on us for refusing to realize what "we" have done to the nation.

Dave Lane
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM

I basically agree it is the lesser of two evils. The R's throw money to the elite in basket fulls. The Dem's do it with buckets.

Simplex3
06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
I understand your resentment, I do. But honestly, I couldn't afford to leave!;)

"I can't afford to" isn't "nobody should".

KILLER_CLOWN
06-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Our best days were towards the beginning not the end.

Fishpicker
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
I gotta go with the currently option. We've plateaued for sure but there are still vestiges of opulence and prosperity. we've got a long way to go before we bottom out and we might never re-emerge. So, it's okay to say that good days are in the past, but the past includes 11:59 P.M. yesterday

oldandslow
06-15-2011, 08:26 AM
I really buy into a theory presented by a social theorist and economist Joseph Tainter (book is Why Complex Societies Collapse) concerning societies and why they decline. He argues that once they become too large and complex it takes more and more resources to solve any single problem. Think the law of diminishing return on a grand scale.

Anyway, I think we have reached that point. Too many people, not enough resources, and inherent complexity in problems (education, health care, etc) that take more and more resources with less and less return.

durtyrute
06-15-2011, 09:02 AM
If we continue to suck the earth dry then.....

loochy
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Our best days were towards the beginning not the end.

But who knows? Maybe we still are towards the beginning. Difficulties now don't necessarily mean the end.

Simplex3
06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I really buy into a theory presented by a social theorist and economist Joseph Tainter (book is Why Complex Societies Collapse) concerning societies and why they decline. He argues that once they become too large and complex it takes more and more resources to solve any single problem. Think the law of diminishing return on a grand scale.

Anyway, I think we have reached that point. Too many people, not enough resources, and inherent complexity in problems (education, health care, etc) that take more and more resources with less and less return.

Too bad the founders didn't set up the government so that local government was more important than remote governance.

oldandslow
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Too bad the founders didn't set up the government so that local government was more important than remote governance.

touche'

Simplex3
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
touche'

I do agree that things have simply gotten too big to manage, and more to the point you simply can't begin to please 300M people. What's right for NYC isn't right for New Orleans, but thanks to equal protection we all get to pay for what they each want.

patteeu
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Bullshit.

The Babyboomers are the ones leading us down this road. YOUR generation, and "mine." We suck Bad.

How bad? We are not only the generation of me-me-me and entitlement, but worse...we have passed it on to our kids.

That is the ONLY reason politicians pander and cow-tow to voters....to preserve the entitlement trap.

Shame on politicians for "buyin' in" and pandering.

But, worse, shame on us for refusing to realize what "we" have done to the nation.

How do you reconcile these two seemingly contradictory posts?

Mr. Kotter
06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
How do you reconcile these two seemingly contradictory posts?

The only way those two posts are "contradictory" is if you are lame brained. Just sayin'. :shrug:

Boomer "privileged elites" are leading us into the downward spiral. Folks like you, it would seem. Just sayin'.

:hmmm:

Jenson71
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
The only way those two posts are "contradictory" is if you are lame brained. Just sayin'. :shrug:

Boomer "privileged elites" are leading us into the downward spiral. Folks like you, it would seem. Just sayin'.

No, he's right; they do seem contradictory. In one post, you complain about the political elite making war on the middle class. In the other post, you complain about the political elite being devoted to the granting of entitlements.

Entitlements like social security, unemployment benefits, health care, are usually championed as benefits to the lower, working, and middle classes. So if the political elite are still providing these entitlements, how exactly is the War on the Middle Class occurring? What does that War look like?

boogblaster
06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
incase ya havent noticed .. they broke the middle class a couple years back .. now its elite and poor mofos ....

patteeu
06-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Are you one of these privileged elites? If not, why do you say "we" when you're really whining about what "they" are doing to poor old "you"?