PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Police Tase Driver Suffering From Diabetic Shock

KILLER_CLOWN
06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Tori Brunetti | KXLY4 Anchor / Reporter

Posted: 5:35 pm PDT June 10, 2011Updated: 6:21 pm PDT June 10, 2011
Text Size
AAA
POST FALLS, Idaho -- A man suffering from diabetic shock while driving was inadvertently tased and handcuffed by Post Falls Police after he crashed his car in someone's front yard.

The man blacked out while in diabetic shock and his car went onto the front lawn of a house on the corner of 6th Avenue and Frederick.

This yard has a significant amount of damage as the car crashed through a fence, only being stopped from crashing into the home by a porch. The home owner, Donna Booker, says parts of trash cans, bikes and dog houses were all over her yard when she got home.

Around 5 p.m. Thursday Booker was at work when the car crashed into her yard. In retrospect, her work schedule probably was a lifesaver.

"At that time, in the afternoon my grandkids could have been out in the yard so I am glad it happened when everyone was gone," Booker said.

Before the driver landed his car in Booker's yard he was spotted driving around Post Falls.

"Our communications center received a call of an erratic driver," Post Falls Police Captain Greg McLean said.

Police tried to get him to pull him over but he ignored them and sped up.

"He is displaying all of the characteristics we don't like to see," McLean said.

After the driver crashed in Booker's front yard, police say he got aggressive. He wouldn't put his hands up, he started rummaging through his car, he got out of his car and then tried to get back in.

"A lot of things are going through the officers' mind at the time as to who I am dealing with and how is this going to end," McLean said.

It wasn't until after the officer tased and handcuffed the man he realize he wasn't dealing with an aggressive criminal but a man in diabetic shock.

"We just don't know at he time whether we have someone with a medical issue or someone being non-compliant," McLean said.

Donna Booker is just thankful everyone is OK.

"I am just glad my family isn't home and the guy is doing good," she said.

Post Falls police say the officer who tased the driver did everything right and will not receive any type of disciplinary actions.

As for the driver, he will not be charged with anything either. Police say he was driving to his hotel in Liberty Lake and said the last thing he remembered was eating lunch at Quiznos somewhere in North Idaho.

http://www.kxly.com/news/28202928/detail.html

Obamacare anyone?

jiveturkey
06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't understand the Obamacare angle here???

I also don't like the idea of everyone getting a free tazing with every police interaction. I can however see why the police did it in this situation and it's probably a good thing that they didn't shoot him.

This sentence usually winds up with bullets flying.
After the driver crashed in Booker's front yard, police say he got aggressive. He wouldn't put his hands up, he started rummaging through his car, he got out of his car and then tried to get back in.

durtyrute
06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
It's kinda strange that a while back they started putting scenes of people being tased in movies and commercials to get people to laugh at it (which most people did), now this shit is happening just about everyday and peoples reactions are .."heh" It's like we are all numb to it now.......just like war.

Ace Gunner
06-15-2011, 08:33 AM
in this case, diabetic psyche is no different than mind altering from drug use. this man used poor judgement. I'd say the cops did a good job here, tho the taser may have been omitted using other techniques to deescalate

KILLER_CLOWN
06-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't understand the Obamacare angle here???

I added that as a joke, at least i hope so.

vailpass
06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
It's kinda strange that a while back they started putting scenes of people being tased in movies and commercials to get people to laugh at it (which most people did), now this shit is happening just about everyday and peoples reactions are .."heh" It's like we are all numb to it now.......just like war.

You would rather people were shot than tazed?

Jaric
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Gotta say, if you're looking to expose police brutatiliy, these probably aren't the droids you're looking for.

durtyrute
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
You would rather people were shot than tazed?

Wow, just wow. Yes that is exactly what I meant. :thumb:

KILLER_CLOWN
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Gotta say, if you're looking to expose police brutatiliy, these probably aren't the droids you're looking for.

Nah it's just a very strange story, oh and this is what obamacare will look like. :p

KILLER_CLOWN
06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Tearful cop apologizes for threatening to Taser suspects' testicles

(Video at link)

A Toronto cop who threatened to Taser two burglary suspects in the testicles to force them to surrender a cohort wept on the witness stand Tuesday as he apologized to his victims.

Const. Christopher Hominuk burst into tears at his sentencing hearing before Justice Hugh Fraser on Tuesday, while reading letters of apology.

He said his judgment and behaviour was affected by a hypoglycemic incident, which is characterized by dangerously low blood sugar levels.

An expert medical witness testified Tuesday that Hominuk’s actions were “compatible with hypoglycemic” events that can dramatically — but temporarily — alter a diabetic’s behaviour from gentle to aggressive.

Hominuk said he felt “horrible and ashamed” after he vowed to use his Taser against the handcuffed suspects.

Hominuk, who was diagnosed at age 15 as a Type 1 diabetic, said he wanted to cry when he realized what he had done.

“I knew what I had done was wrong. You’ll always get more information from people by being nice than threatening them,” said Hominuk.

After being charged, he was stripped of his probationary sergeant status despite outstanding performance reviews for 11 months.

His 14-year career was exemplary and Hominuk was universally respected by both peers and commanding officers, court heard.

Hominuk’s actions were captured on in-cruiser cameras, which showed him slapping Robert James Bolgan, 47, in the face and forcing him to lay down in the backseat.

Hominuk, 38, pleaded guilty in January to one count of threatening bodily harm in a May 24, 2010 incident involving two suspects, who were both sitting alone in separate cruisers.

As soon as Hominuk opened the cruiser door, he shoved his Taser into Bolgan’s genital area.

Hominuk demanded to know the name of a missing suspect. Bolgan answered that he didn’t know.

“If you are lying to me, when I get back to the station, I’m Tasering you in the f---ing nuts,” Hominuk barked at Bolgan.

Bolgan had redness to the side of his face where he was struck, court heard.

Hominuk confronted his second victim, Roger William Bradshaw, 39, who was lying in a nearby cruiser’s backseat.

Hominuk pressed his Taser into Bradshaw’s neck and repeated his demand for the identity of the fugitive. When Bradshaw emphasized he didn’t know him, Hominuk snapped: “If I find out you’re lying, I’m going to f---ing Taser you in the nuts.”

Bradshaw was unharmed. The Taser was never activated or used on either man.

Hominuk and other officers were investigating a break-in of some tractor-trailers in Etobicoke when police arrested the two men and another suspect at 36 Taymac Rd.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/14/tearful-cop-apologizes-for-threatening-to-taser-suspects-testicles

KILLER_CLOWN
06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Long Island cop Garrett Mannerz arrested for allegedly forcing woman to grope him at traffic stop

BY Lukas I. Alpert
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

BY Lukas I. Alpert
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 1:16 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 3:44 PM

A Long Island cop was arrested Wednesday for forcing a woman to grope him in exchange for letting her and her pals out of a traffic ticket, authorities said.

Nassau County cop Garrett Mannerz, 34, pulled a car over carrying three women in their early 20s in East Meadow on Feb. 27, prosecutors said.

After performing field sobriety tests on the driver, Mannerz allegedly ordered the victim - a passenger - out of the vehicle and over to his patrol car.

He commented on what she was wearing, asked for her phone number and said he would let her and her friends go if she "did something for him," said Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice.

He then grabbed her wrist and "made her touch him sexually," Rice said. He also arranged to call her for a date and then let the women go without a summons.

A few hours later, Mannerz began making a series of sexually suggestive calls to the woman he had grabbed.

The woman ultimately recorded one of the calls and turned them over to police, and Mannerz - a five-year veteran - was arrested.

"This is a shocking case of a policeman abusing his power," Rice said. "This defendant was supposed to serve and protect the people, but chose instead to disgrace himself and the honest, hard-working members of the Nassau County Police Department."

Mannerz's lawyer, William Petrillo, called the charges wholly false.

"The absurdity of this false claim will become crystal clear as the case against this well-respected officer and family man unfolds," he said.

Mannerz was charged with receiving a bribe, official misconduct, coercion and sexual abuse. He was released without bail and is due back in court on June 29.

He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.

Prosecutors are asking anyone else who may have had a similar run-in with Mannerz to come forward and call the public corruption bureau at 516-571-2100.

In a similar scandal in 2001, a Suffolk County cop Frank Wright was busted for forcing several female motorists to strip in exchange for letting them out of tickets.

He pleaded guilty in 2003 and served five years in federal prison.

lalpert@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/06/15/2011-06-15_long_island_cop_garrett_mannerz_arrested_for_allegedly_forcing_woman_to_grope_hi.html#ixzz1PPr4oT cs

Couldn't he just go to the airport wearing a Bin Laden T-shirt? TSA would give him all the hj's he wants!

durtyrute
06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Long Island cop Garrett Mannerz arrested for allegedly forcing woman to grope him at traffic stop

BY Lukas I. Alpert
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

BY Lukas I. Alpert
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 1:16 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 3:44 PM

A Long Island cop was arrested Wednesday for forcing a woman to grope him in exchange for letting her and her pals out of a traffic ticket, authorities said.

Nassau County cop Garrett Mannerz, 34, pulled a car over carrying three women in their early 20s in East Meadow on Feb. 27, prosecutors said.

After performing field sobriety tests on the driver, Mannerz allegedly ordered the victim - a passenger - out of the vehicle and over to his patrol car.

He commented on what she was wearing, asked for her phone number and said he would let her and her friends go if she "did something for him," said Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice.

He then grabbed her wrist and "made her touch him sexually," Rice said. He also arranged to call her for a date and then let the women go without a summons.

A few hours later, Mannerz began making a series of sexually suggestive calls to the woman he had grabbed.

The woman ultimately recorded one of the calls and turned them over to police, and Mannerz - a five-year veteran - was arrested.

"This is a shocking case of a policeman abusing his power," Rice said. "This defendant was supposed to serve and protect the people, but chose instead to disgrace himself and the honest, hard-working members of the Nassau County Police Department."

Mannerz's lawyer, William Petrillo, called the charges wholly false.

"The absurdity of this false claim will become crystal clear as the case against this well-respected officer and family man unfolds," he said.

Mannerz was charged with receiving a bribe, official misconduct, coercion and sexual abuse. He was released without bail and is due back in court on June 29.

He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted.

Prosecutors are asking anyone else who may have had a similar run-in with Mannerz to come forward and call the public corruption bureau at 516-571-2100.

In a similar scandal in 2001, a Suffolk County cop Frank Wright was busted for forcing several female motorists to strip in exchange for letting them out of tickets.

He pleaded guilty in 2003 and served five years in federal prison.

lalpert@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/06/15/2011-06-15_long_island_cop_garrett_mannerz_arrested_for_allegedly_forcing_woman_to_grope_hi.html#ixzz1PPr4oT cs

Couldn't he just go to the airport wearing a Bin Laden T-shirt? TSA would give him all the hj's he wants!

TOUCH MY BALLS.........MY BALLS!!!!