PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Criticizing Obama, Kucinich credits Bush for asking Congress to go to war

petegz28
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) on Thursday ripped President Obama while giving credit to former President George W. Bush for asking Congress to authorize the war in Iraq.

The anti-war Democrat, criticizing Obama's handling of the conflict in Libya, noted that Bush formally consulted Congress on the Iraq war in 2002.

"President Bush came to Congress ... President Obama doesn't feel like he needs to come to Congress," Kucinich said during an interview on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" program. Kucinich pointed out he was strongly opposed to the Iraq war.

Along with other lawmakers, Kucinich this week filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration on the Libyan conflict, claiming the president violated the law by not securing congressional approval.

The White House has claimed it has complied with the Constitution and the War Powers Act.

Kucinich said U.S. drone attacks in foreign lands are akin to war. Citing the attack on Pearl Harbor, Kucinich said that if a bomb dropped on the U.S., it would be labeled a war. He added the U.S. needs to significantly change its foreign policy, saying, "We can't be global cop."

The Ohio Democrat also said he will not run for president in 2012, adding he hopes to stay in the House. Redistricting could cause Kucinich to leave Ohio and seek a House seat in Washington state.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/166789-criticizing-obama-kucinich-credits-bush-for-asking-congress-to-go-war

orange
06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
"The problem is: These policies of preemption license a war. Preemption, by virtue of international law, is illegal. Bush has already violated international law. The war in Iraq is illegal. Even planning for the war against Iran is illegal. We’re here in Philadelphia, the birthplace of democracy. I want to know when this democratic Congress is going to stand up for the Constitution and hold the president accountable with Article II, Section 4, an impeachment act. Our democracy is in peril." - Denny One-Note (D-Ohio)

petegz28
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
"The problem is: These policies of preemption license a war. Preemption, by virtue of international law, is illegal. Bush has already violated international law. The war in Iraq is illegal. Even planning for the war against Iran is illegal. We’re here in Philadelphia, the birthplace of democracy. I want to know when this democratic Congress is going to stand up for the Constitution and hold the president accountable with Article II, Section 4, an impeachment act. Our democracy is in peril." - Denny One-Note (D-Ohio)

What does this have to do with Bush going to Congress?

orange
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
What does Kucinich have to do with anything?

petegz28
06-16-2011, 01:35 PM

:facepalm:

Bewbies
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM

He's loony as hell, I can't believe you don't like him.

HonestChieffan
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Lets make this a random quote thread.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2011, 03:41 PM
"Both Bush administrations claimed, in 1991 and 2002 respectively, that even though Congress enacted resolutions authorizing force, they still exercise independent executive authority to continue and expand wars and are not bound by the actions of Congress. They articulated broad theories of presidential power, under which the President alone can use force in a broad array of circumstances.

As President George H. W. Bush put it, 'I didn’t have to get permission from some old goat in the United States Congress to kick Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait.'"

http://www.libertytreefdr.org/publications/ccr_amend_war_powers

NewChief
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
His ideas may be out of the mainstream, but I respect Kucinich for being principled. Does anyone have any glaring examples of him giving in to corruption or being hypocritical/breaking his standards?

BucEyedPea
06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
His ideas may be out of the mainstream, but I respect Kucinich for being principled.
I do too.

Does anyone have any glaring examples of him giving in to corruption or being hypocritical/breaking his standards?

Nope.

NewChief
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I do too.

Nope.

I think we've talked about this before, but there are parts of me that would love to see something insane like a Kucinich/Paul ticket. Most other governments forge coalitions of divergent ideas in order to win elections. We, instead, pick one of two teams and cheer them on to the bitter end.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I didn't remember this but we probably did.

I think we've talked about this before, but there are parts of me that would love to see something insane like a Kucinich/Paul ticket. Most other governments forge coalitions of divergent ideas in order to win elections. We, instead, pick one of two teams and cheer them on to the bitter end.

Hmmmm, well I think we see this with Maher already, because said he'd vote for Ron Paul if he had to pick —believe it or not.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/15/bill-mahers-favorite-gop-candidate-i-would-vote-for-ron-paul-if-i-had-to-pick/

Barak Obuttocks
06-17-2011, 05:36 AM
I told Dennis the Menace I don't need permission from congress! I got permission from NATO!

Bewbies
06-17-2011, 08:36 AM
His ideas may be out of the mainstream, but I respect Kucinich for being principled. Does anyone have any glaring examples of him giving in to corruption or being hypocritical/breaking his standards?

I feel the same way. :thumb: