PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues 1,033,000,

durtyrute
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
That is just an estimate of how many Iraqi men,women, and children have been killed since we started the "war on terror".

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gRd3Bi6CXI94ke9t9CgxqcZ1wPNw

More than one million Iraqis dead since 2003 invasion: study
(AFP) Jan 30, 2008

LONDON (AFP) More than one million Iraqis have died because of the war in Iraq since the US-led invasion of the country in 2003, according to a study published Wednesday.

A fifth of Iraqi households lost at least one family member between March 2003 and August 2007 due to the conflict, said data compiled by London-based Opinion Research Business (ORB) and its research partner in Iraq, the Independent Institute for Administration and Civil Society Studies (IIACSS).

The study based its findings on survey work involving the face-to-face questioning of 2,414 Iraqi adults aged 18 or above, and the last complete census in Iraq in 1997, which indicated a total of 4.05 million households.

Respondents were asked how many members of their household, if any, had died as a result of the violence in the country since 2003, and not because of natural causes.

"We now estimate that the death toll between March 2003 and August 2007 is likely to have been in the order of 1,033,000," ORB said in a statement.

The margin of error for the survey was 1.7 percent, making the estimated range between 946,000 and 1.12 million fatalities.

The highest rate of deaths throughout the country occurred in Baghdad, where more than 40 percent of households had lost a family member.

According to a July 2007 estimate by the United States, Iraq's population is around 27 million.

The country has been wracked by conflict since the March 2003 invasion which deposed dictator Saddam Hussein, with United Nations estimates putting the number of displaced people from the conflict at more than four million, nearly half of which have fled to neighbouring countries.

A small number of those refugees have begun returning to Iraq -- around 20,000 arrived from Syria in December -- the Iraqi Red Crescent said earlier this month, suggesting an improved security situation.

Copyright 2011 AFP. All rights reserved.

Carry on

Simplex3
06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Wonder how many have died as a result of the war on drugs. Or the war on poverty. Or how many would have died in Iraq at the hands of Hussein. Or how many have died because DDT was outlawed for no good scientific reason.

But yeah, these people are the ones to start caring about.

Hog Farmer
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd like to know how many of those deaths were a result of the dumbass people killing themselves. Those suicide bombers are/were taking a lot of innocent people out.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Wonder how many have died as a result of the war on drugs. Or the war on poverty. Or how many would have died in Iraq at the hands of Hussein. Or how many have died because DDT was outlawed for no good scientific reason.

But yeah, these people are the ones to start caring about.

People are people, since when did Americans stop realizing that. Americans aren't the only people that deserve to live ya know. Yea people are dying over here too, but we haven't had planes dropping bombs on us for the past eight years.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 05:52 AM
I'd like to know how many of those deaths were a result of the dumbass people killing themselves. Those suicide bombers are/were taking a lot of innocent people out.

Probably not as many as our bombers

HonestChieffan
06-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Probably not as many as our bombers

2008 news. Any good sports stories from back then?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 06:18 AM
2008 news. Any good sports stories from back then?

Yea, you're right, the number is probably MUCH higher now.

Barak Obuttocks
06-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Yea, you're right, the number is probably MUCH higher now.

Looky here.

I know that I said I would end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, repeal the patriot act, and close Gitmo.

Let me be perfectly clear. I will definitely get to all that stuff in my second term.

Do you have any idea how long it took me to replace the food pyramid? It was like pulling teeth.

Otter
06-17-2011, 06:39 AM
While I agree it's terrible I often wonder where the outrage and venom from the liberals who demanded Bush's impeachment every time a civilian casualty made the news now that Barry is doing the same thing in Iraq, Afghanistan and new to the lineup: Libya.

Fill in the blanks: most libs are agenda driven h_poc_ri_ts who don't give a shit about the people they claim to be trying to defend with their rhetoric.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Looky here.

I know that I said I would end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, repeal the patriot act, and close Gitmo.

Let me be perfectly clear. I will definitely get to all that stuff in my second term.

Do you have any idea how long it took me to replace the food pyramid? It was like pulling teeth.

LMAO

ChiTown
06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
People are people, since when did Americans stop realizing that. Americans aren't the only people that deserve to live ya know. Yea people are dying over here too, but we haven't had planes dropping bombs on us for the past eight years.

The only good Iraqi is a dead Iraqi. Sounds like we left some unfinished business...........

Simplex3
06-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Way to completely miss the point of my post.

It's people like you that only care about death when it serves some political goal. Liberals are all for a lot of policies that harm and kill 3rd world people.

Saul Good
06-17-2011, 07:33 AM
While I agree it's terrible I often wonder where the outrage and venom from the liberals who demanded Bush's impeachment every time a civilian casualty made the news now that Barry is doing the same thing in Iraq, Afghanistan and new to the lineup: Libya.

Fill in the blanks: most libs are agenda driven h_poc_ri_ts who don't give a shit about the people they claim to be trying to defend with their rhetoric.

Let's add Syria to that list. Its hard to keep track of all the wars Mr. Obama has us fighting.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM

We don't hear about Barry's killing because it's now a kinetic action, if we get an 'R' in there the stories will come back. Either way it's horsesh!t in my book, As is the war on drugs, poverty, TSA and all other Thug related activity.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Way to completely miss the point of my post.

It's people like you that only care about death when it serves some political goal. Liberals are all for a lot of policies that harm and kill 3rd world people.

You completely missed the point of the entire thread. I don't give two fucks about some political goal. Over one million people have died because we are bombing the shit out of their country. There is nothing that can be said to justify that in any way, politcal or not. And oh yea, please refrain from putting me in one of your little categories.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
What the hell is wrong with you guys. This isn't a Rep or Dem thing. These are people who are being blown to bits for what? Bush was a fuck up and so is O Dammit, and the next one and the next one. Since when did people care more about politics than they do about other people, foreign or not?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
The only good Iraqi is a dead Iraqi. Sounds like we left some unfinished business...........

Why don't you go be on the front line then? They would welcome you with open arms.

stevieray
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
You completely missed the point of the entire thread. I don't give two ****s about some political goal. Over one million people have died because we are bombing the shit out of their country. There is nothing that can be said to justify that in any way, politcal or not. And oh yea, please refrain from putting me in one of your little categories.

...freedom isn't free...anything worthwhile is not easily obtained.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human" -aldous huxley

HonestChieffan
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Wars are that way. Bombs get dropped and the other guys ket killed. Sherman said War is Hell. Seems thats the case. Somewhere I read about Truman, Japan, the bomb and not sure if it was Harry or some General at the time who observed that the role of casualties was to make the people upset enough they force the leaders to end the war.

Cant have war without casualties. Just part of it.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 08:59 AM
...freedom isn't free...anything worthwhile is not easily obtained.

I don't get what you are saying. "Freedom comes from killing a million people?" Okay, done. Are we free now? Can you travel the world without having some sort of passport or i.d card? Can you go to the store without passing aleast five cameras watching you? Can you say you hate the president on national t.v.? Can you put you kids in school without manditory vaccinations or without some letter approving that action? Can you walk naked down the street? I know some of those are over the top but, let's not confuse being "more free" with being "free".

RNR
06-17-2011, 08:59 AM
What the hell is wrong with you guys. This isn't a Rep or Dem thing. These are people who are being blown to bits for what? Bush was a **** up and so is O Dammit, and the next one and the next one. Since when did people care more about politics than they do about other people, foreign or not?

Many people always have and their entire viewpoint on any issue created by party loyalty~

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Wars are that way. Bombs get dropped and the other guys ket killed. Sherman said War is Hell. Seems thats the case. Somewhere I read about Truman, Japan, the bomb and not sure if it was Harry or some General at the time who observed that the role of casualties was to make the people upset enough they force the leaders to end the war.

That's the thing, this isn't a war. It's us going over to another country and blowing shit up. Hell, most of the time that's how it always is. Don't you find that odd. If it was a true "war" wouldn't they send some sort of army over here.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human" -aldous huxley

THIS..........FUCKING .............THIS.............

HonestChieffan
06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
That's the thing, this isn't a war. It's us going over to another country and blowing shit up. Hell, most of the time that's how it always is. Don't you find that odd. If it was a true "war" wouldn't they send some sort of army over here.

What was WW2?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Many people always have and their entire viewpoint on any issue created by party loyalty~

Madness

stevieray
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't get what you are saying. "Freedom comes from killing a million people?" Okay, done. Are we free now? Can you travel the world without having some sort of passport or i.d card? Can you go to the store without passing aleast five cameras watching you? Can you say you hate the president on national t.v.? Can you put you kids in school without manditory vaccinations or without some letter approving that action? Can you walk naked down the street? I know some of those are over the top but, let's not confuse being "more free" with being "free".

...there is no such thing as more free.

stevieray
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
THIS..........****ING .............THIS.............

...was Huxley was a propogandist?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
What was WW2?

I wasn't there, but going over to another country and bombing the shit out of them when they have no army on your soil doesn't seem like a war to me. Yea it's a battle cause it's army against army, but isn't it just a little strange that these things never take place over here. Disaters here and there but no armies, no bombers, nothing. It's just us blowing people up left and right. Shit look at what we are doing now.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
...there is no such thing as more free.

Exactly and if can't answer yes to all of those questions then we aren't "free" either. We just have this illusion of freedom when you compare our country to others.

stevieray
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Exactly and if can't answer yes to all of those questions then we aren't "free" either.
can you travel the world? yes. freedom.
can you go to the store? yes. freedom.
can you state your opinion on TV? yes. freedom
can you put your kid in any school? yes. freedom

why would want to walk naked down the street?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
can you travel the world? yes. freedom.
can you go to the store? yes. freedom.
can you state your opinion on TV? yes. freedom
can you put your kid in any school? yes. freedom

why would want to walk naked down the street?

Those weren't the questions and it doesn't matter why the point is you can't

stevieray
06-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Those weren't the questions and it doesn't matter why the point is you can't
sure you can.

can you go the movies without paying? why not?

Saul Good
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
I wasn't there, but going over to another country and bombing the shit out of them when they have no army on your soil doesn't seem like a war to me. Yea it's a battle cause it's army against army, but isn't it just a little strange that these things never take place over here. Disaters here and there but no armies, no bombers, nothing. It's just us blowing people up left and right. Shit look at what we are doing now.

So your idea of a war is where our army goes to their country and their army goes to ours? Is it just some sort of swap? Do they wave when the pass each other on the way to each others' countries? Who do they fight if they aren't in the same country as the other army?

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
What was WW2?

Nowadays it's referred to as Kinetic World Action number 2, that sounds great on NPR.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
So your idea of a war is where our army goes to their country and their army goes to ours? Is it just some sort of swap? Do they wave when the pass each other on the way to each others' countries? Who do they fight if they aren't in the same country as the other army?

Not only armies but bombers, subs, something. Isn't it odd that no armies are ever over here?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
sure you can.

You can, well then please do and make sure to write us from jail.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
sure you can.

I looked up freedom on dictionary.com and thought I'd share with you.

frankness of manner or speech.

the power to determine action without restraint.

exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc

general exemption or immunity: freedom from taxation.

Those are just some of the defintions. The opposite of slavery is one so I guess in that sense we are free, but.......

Saul Good
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Not only armies but bombers, subs, something. Isn't it odd that no armies are ever over here?

No. I don't find that odd.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
No. I don't find that odd.

Really, okay, carry on

Simplex3
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
You completely missed the point of the entire thread. I don't give two ****s about some political goal. Over one million people have died because we are bombing the shit out of their country. There is nothing that can be said to justify that in any way, politcal or not. And oh yea, please refrain from putting me in one of your little categories.

Millions and millions of people died last year. Iraq isn't even the most deadly country to live in. So why exactly is it you picked them to be sad for?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
The millions that you speak of didn't die from our bombs that's why I picked them. Another reason is because that stat started after 9/11, in 03 I believe. We were supposed to be going after Osama in Afgan, but somehow things switched and we started after Suddam again. We were trying to prevent Saddam from using WMD's on his people and people over here. And to prevent him from killing one million Iraqis we did it for him. Brilliant. :thumb:

Simplex3
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

How many foreign troops were in America during WWI or WWII?

Dave Lane
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
It's a good start /DC forum

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Please enlighten me

AndChiefs
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Don't let Pearl Harbor know.

Donger
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I wasn't there, but going over to another country and bombing the shit out of them when they have no army on your soil doesn't seem like a war to me.

LMAO

Donger
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Please enlighten me

None.

Jaric
06-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Not really. When you think about the logistics of attempting to invade the United States (especially by sea) it's essentially all but impossible.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
None.

Thanks

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Not really. When you think about the logistics of attempting to invade the United States (especially by sea) it's essentially all but impossible.

See, the reply stating don't tell that to pearl harbor

AndChiefs
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM

And even that stretched Japan's capability to the max. They never would've attempted it if they weren't running low on oil.

But you're right...since Germany's armies weren't in Maine, D.C., or Florida we probably shouldn't of gotten involved and just let them take over the UK and Russia. :rolleyes:

After all, it's only worth fighting a war if they have armies on your soil to inflict damage as well.

Jaric
06-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Considering that bombing an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean ranks as the closest the United States has come from being invaded for at least the past...200 years, that pretty much proves my point.

We are in no danger of invasion. What we do have to worry about is missle strikes. That's really about it.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 10:05 AM
And even that stretched Japan's capability to the max. They never would've attempted it if they weren't running low on oil.

But you're right...since Germany's armies weren't in Maine, D.C., or Florida we probably shouldn't of gotten involved and just let them take over the UK and Russia. :rolleyes:

After all, it's only worth fighting a war if they have armies on your soil to inflict damage as well.

That was ONE of the reasons we entered the war, no?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Considering that bombing an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean ranks as the closest the United States has come from being invaded for at least the past...200 years, that pretty much proves my point.

We are in no danger of invasion. What we do have to worry about is missle strikes. That's really about it.

Exactly, and with all of these "wars" how many missile strikes have there been?

Pants
06-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Desert Storm was 100% justified, this abortion of a "conflict" was not. I'm not an Iraqi, but I'm guessing 99% of the Iraqi people would say they'd rather live under Saddam at this point in time. IDK.

Jaric
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Exactly, and with all of these "wars" how many missile strikes have there been?

Listen, you don't have to convince me we need to stop bombing people in the middle east. Or really anywhere for that matter. History hasn't been kind to empires that try to nationbuild in the middle east

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Listen, you don't have to convince me we need to stop bombing people in the middle east. Or really anywhere for that matter. History hasn't been kind to empires that try to nationbuild in the middle east

Yea, sorry, I started this thread just becase I was amazed when I saw the numbers. So many people died, for what? Then people jumped on saying "that's what they get" and "it's war so what" and that was like WOW.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM

the idea is to find alternatives to war. but then, war is an occupation now according to that tuff job thread, so that changes everything doesn't it lol

stevieray
06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
You can.

you can? why?

Donger
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
That was ONE of the reasons we entered the war, no?

We entered WWII by declaring war on Japan after they attacked Pearl Harbor.

Jaric
06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Can we include all the japanese people we rounded up and put into camps because we thought they might be spies?

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
you can? why?

Sorry about that, it was meant to be a question. You said you can walk down the street naked and I said ,you can? Write us from jail and tell us what happened. Meaning it is possible to walk the street naked, yes, but you can't do it without being arrested. Please see the defintions of freedom that I posted. The only way to describe our state would be to say that we have more freedoms compared to others, but we are not completly free. It's a lot more open but this is still a prison. And I'd imagine that we could have those same freedoms without killing a million people.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
We entered WWII by declaring war on Japan after they attacked Pearl Harbor.

On time as always El Dongo, thank you

stevieray
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
The only way to describe our state would be to say that we have more freedoms compared to others, but we are not completly free. It's a lot more open but this is still a prison.

never said you could, I asked why would you want to? and if you can't, you think that means you aren't free?

prison? ya, ok... good luck with that.

it appears to me that you can't comprehend just how good we have it, and if you do, it seems you don't /can't appreciate it.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
never said you could, I asked why would you want to? and if you can't, you think that means you aren't free?

prison? ya, ok... good luck with that.

it appears to me that you can't comprehend just how good we have it, and if you do, it seems you don't /can't appreciate it.

I'm not even sure how we got here. This thread was about something completely different

ChiTown
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not even sure how we got here. This thread was about something completely different

Agreed. This is about dead Iraqi's. Let the celebration commence.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Agreed. This is about dead Iraqi's. Let the celebration commence.

You go right ahead

Backwards Masking
06-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Just to remind all you bleeding hearts crying about this...

1. Suddam Hussien excecuted thousands of people before we got there.

2. Our dependence on foreign oil has dropped significantly, as have the prices.

3. Our economy is as a whole is way better off today than it is was 8 year ago.

Oh wait...

Brock
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry about that, it was meant to be a question. You said you can walk down the street naked and I said ,you can? Write us from jail and tell us what happened. Meaning it is possible to walk the street naked, yes, but you can't do it without being arrested. Please see the defintions of freedom that I posted. The only way to describe our state would be to say that we have more freedoms compared to others, but we are not completly free. It's a lot more open but this is still a prison. And I'd imagine that we could have those same freedoms without killing a million people.

A prison? Nobody is keeping you here.

teedubya
06-19-2011, 02:13 PM
The US has killed over 10 million people in the past 60 years of wars... not including Hiroshima or Nagasaki... AFTER that.

That's asinine. And in those 60 years, we've spent over 20 TRILLION on war and the Dept of Defense.

20 TRILLION. WTF.