PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Romney - Net Worth Over $200 Million - Tells Unemployed People ‘I’m Also Unemployed’

KILLER_CLOWN
06-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Mitt Romney - Net Worth Over $200 Million - Tells Unemployed People ‘I’m Also Unemployed’

http://dailybail.com/storage/mitt-romney-1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308257673227

Mittens Muttney is lucky he wasn't mugged at today's Tampa campaign stop.

---

Source - NYT

TAMPA, Fla. — Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

“I should tell my story,” Mr. Romney said. “I’m also unemployed.”

He chuckled. The eight people gathered around him, who had just finished talking about strategies of finding employment in a slow-to-recover economy, joined him in laughter.

“Are you on LinkedIn?” one of the men asked.

“I’m networking,” Mr. Romney replied. “I have my sight on a particular job.”

The references to Mr. Romney’s own unemployment status added yet another humorous, but occasionally awkward, moment to his ever-growing catalog of off-the-cuff remarks that he makes as he seeks the Republican presidential nomination. He spent the morning doing more listening than talking — a woman in the crowd openly urged him to talk about the deficit — and it was unclear whether he persuaded any voters to join his effort.

Tom Yarranton, 55, lost his job in March 2010. He had spent 31 years as an internal auditor at a manufacturing company. He said he liked Mr. Romney’s mind-set as a businessman, but added that he did not blame Mr. Obama for still being unemployed.

“I’m not mad at him,” Mr. Yarranton said in an interview after the session ended. “It’s amazing in politics. They’re all into pointing fingers at each other. The Republicans right now are so mad at the Democrats, but nobody is doing anything.”

The sentiment illustrated the long-term challenge for Mr. Romney and other Republican candidates as they try to win over independent voters — and, perhaps, even some conservative Democrats — to accomplish their ultimately goal on Election Day in November 2012.

In the conversation with voters, Mr. Romney modulated his criticism of the president, saying, “I won’t be too partisan here.” A few moments later, as he stood before television cameras, he ratcheted up his disapproval.

“We have all been distressed by the policies that this administration has put in place over the last two years,” Mr. Romney said. “We have seen the most anti-investment, antigrowth, antijob strategy in America since Jimmy Carter. The result has been it’s harder and harder for people to find work.”

Joan Savage, who described herself as a die-hard Republican, said she was uncertain whether her party could win back the White House. She said that she walked away with a favorable impression of Mr. Romney, but added, “I don’t know that anyone can beat Obama right now.”

The path to that fight will begin here in Tampa, where Republicans will hold their national convention next summer and formally crown their nominee to challenge Mr. Obama.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/romney-im-also-unemployed/

Bewbies
06-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Unwittingly tells them "I'm also completely detached from reality."

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
I hate this time, when the candidates start revving up and thats all you hear about. How they're all going to "SAVE THE DAY", like any of them are any different than the rest. I know I know, "this guy is different, he cares about America". That's what they all say till they get in, then it's "FUCK YOU PAY ME. Oh you have kids, FUCK YOU PAY ME, Oh you're about to lose your house, FUCK YOU PAY ME, Oh you're a patriot huh, FUCK YOU PAY ME.

InChiefsHell
06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
you know, making a joke like that is fine if you are not running for president. Clueless...

Dave Lane
06-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Pretty tone deaf but it doesn't bother me. A little self deprecating humor is good, maybe not in front of people really having a tough time. Had he added I'll pick up your check today thanks for the laugh, maybe it goes down easier.

BucEyedPea
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
I think it's pretty funny but inappropriate to the scene. Anyhow, perhaps I'll hit him up for a charitable donation for the balance of my kid's tuition.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 10:01 AM
coincedentally, many millionaires are unemployed - in effect...

Saul Good
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
The worst part about the election cycle is that people make a big deal out of every little innocent remark.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2011, 10:19 AM
The worst part about the election cycle is that people make a big deal out of every little innocent remark.

He's a big boy, he can live with the stupid things that come out of his mouth.

RedNeckRaider
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
It would seem while most of us have been struggling others seem to strive in these times. Insider trading for a 1000 Alex~
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's wealth grows 62% to $35.2M, Boehner, Reid's worth increases too

BY ALIYAH SHAHID
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 11:14 AM

Mark Wilson/Getty
Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) had a minimum net worth of $34.2 million in 2010, up 62% from 2009, according to financial disclosure forms released Wednesday.
TAKE OUR POLL
In the money
What do you think about rank-and-file members of Congress receiving an annual salary of $174,000 in 2010?

This is way too much. Pay them less.
Sounds about right to me.
It's not enough. Give them more.

What recession?

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's net worth skyrocketed 62% last year, to a jaw-dropping $35.2 million, according to financial disclosure forms released Wednesday.

Pelosi, the former House speaker, wasn't alone.

The California Democrat's gavel-gripping successor, Republican John Boehner, also saw his wealth get a boost, with the Ohio GOPer's net worth increasing from $1.8 million in 2009 to $2.1 million last year.

Pelosi's drastic growth, from an initial $21.7 million in 2009, is attributed to recent stock gains and smart investments. Her husband reported raking in $1 million to $5 million last year from a sale of Apple stocks.

The couple also has a commercial property in San Francisco and a home in St. Helena, Calif., each valued between $5 million and $25 million. She also has a stake in some valuable residential real estate in Sacramento.
Boehner, too, has a portfolio of stocks in oil companies, financial firms, communication companies and pharmaceuticals.

None of the newly acquired cash violates congressional ethics rules, though members can't use their official positions for personal gain and are limited to earn a maximum of $26,100 outside Congress, personal investments are allowed.

All rank-and-file members of Congress received salaries of $174,000 last year. As speaker last year, Pelosi was paid $223,500, and House and Senate majority and minority leaders garnered $193,400.

Among the findings:

-- Darrell Issa (R-Calif), inventor of the Viper car alarm system, is among the richest members of Congress. He reported holdings of between $150 million and $500 million.

--Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), who was censured by the House last year for failing to pay taxes on income from a villa in the Dominican Republic, sold the residence for $250,001 to $500,000.

-- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has a net worth of $3.4 million - a nearly 10% increase from 2009 to 2010.

-- Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says he has a minimum net worth of $9.8 million, nearly a 30% increase from last year.

-- 101 House members and 20 senators were given extensions to file their forms. That includes No. 2 Senate Democrat Dick Durbin of Illinois, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, (R-Mich.), House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) and Tea Party presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann, (R-Minn.).

With News Wire Services

ashahid@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/06/16/2011-06-16_house_minority_leader_nancy_pelosis_wealth_grows_62_to_352m_boehner_reids_worth_.html#ixzz1PY0tZ5 Yb

Brainiac
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
He's a big boy, he can live with the stupid things that come out of his mouth.
This thread is what's stupid. That was a pretty inoffensive remark, except to people who are looking for something to be offended by.

RedDread
06-17-2011, 05:24 PM
This thread is what's stupid. That was a pretty inoffensive remark, except to people who are looking for something to be offended by.

This.

Fishpicker
06-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Only the immediate audience can determine if a joke flies or not. apparently it did.

orange
06-17-2011, 07:07 PM
To thunderous applause, Herman Cain got the audience going with his opening statement: "I have a dream — I have two dreams. In 2012, conservative Republicans are going to take back the House and the Senate." "And I got another dream for 2012, and that dream is you are looking at the next president of the United States of America."

http://www.c-span.org/Events/2012-Candidates-Address-GOP-Conference/10737422341/

orange
06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Only the immediate audience can determine if a joke flies or not. apparently it did.

Sorry, but his audience is national. That's what happens when you aim for the Big Hizzy.

Fishpicker
06-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Sorry, but his audience is national. That's what happens when you aim for the Big Hizzy.

well, we're missing something, context and tone. I wish we could see a video of his telling of that joke. I don't like Romney's brand of conservatism and I cant really identify or sympathize with him at all but, I'm not going to criticize him for making an effort to identify with others. I'm assuming that was the purpose of his joke. And as far as the audience goes, I'm pretty sure the intended audience were the people within earshot.

Der Flöprer
06-18-2011, 01:37 AM
The only thing dumber than that remark are the dumbshits defending him. Yeah, its hilarious that I can afford toilet paper and you can't. Especially when it's because of policies congress has made to protect it's richest citizens at the expense of it's poorest. It's all aboht campaign dollars after all. WAKE THE FUCK UP! You're next.

SNR
06-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Voter: "I had an abortion a few years ago."
Romney: "What a coincidence! I had an abortion a few years ago too. An abortion.... of a campaign!"

patteeu
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah, those jobless people he was talking to looked/sounded like they were really offended when he said that. All the smiles and the good natured laughs can't fool me. :rolleyes:

Ace Gunner
06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
mitt - he's just like you & me

Barak Obuttocks
06-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Romney is a cornball.

patteeu
06-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Romney is a cornball.

I'm not saying that Romney=Reagan, but Reagan was a cornball too at times. It's part of what sets them apart from the average know-it-all, upper-crust, elitist.

BucEyedPea
06-19-2011, 03:32 PM
mitt - he's just like you & me

What if Mitt was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

Chocolate Hog
06-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Mitt Romney like the rest of the Republican establishment is out of touch.

JD10367
06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
http://24ahead.com/sites/default/files/michael-dukakis-tank.jpg?1243121099

Barak Obuttocks
06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
What if Mitt was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

LMAO