PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

KILLER_CLOWN
06-16-2011, 11:21 PM
BETHESDA, Md (WUSA) You can make a fortune selling parking spots outside the US Open, but don't even dream of setting up a lemonade stand.

A county inspector ordered the Marriott and Augustine kids to shut down the stand they set up on Persimmon Tree Rd, right next to Congressional. And after they allegedly ignored a couple of warnings, the inspector fined their parents $500.

"This gentleman from the county is now telling us because we don't have a vendors license, the kids won't be allowed to sell their lemonade," Carrie Marriott told us, her voice trembling.

The kids can't seem to understand it. "I don't agree, I think the county is wrong." "We're sending the money to charity."

Jennifer Hughes, the director of permitting for the county, says it's technically illegal to run even the smallest lemonade stand in the county, but inspectors usually don't go looking for them. She said this one was unusually large. Hughes also says they've warned all kinds of other vendors they couldn't operate near the US Open because of concerns about traffic and safety.

But that did little to console Carrie Marriott. "Does every kid who sells lemonade now have to register with the county?" she asked the inspector.

"Cute little kids making five or ten dollars is a little bit different than making hundreds. You've got coolers and coolers here," the inspector responded. "To raise money for pediatric cancer," Marriott replied.

What's funny is that the county has given scores of other neighbors permits to let golf fans park on their front lawns. The permits cost almost $300, but prices per car run as much as $60 a day. And some neighbors are reportedly raking in tens of thousands of dollars.

"I'm a little upset with the rip off that's going on," said Ron Simpson, who was getting ready to pay $50. One cop says a neighbor told him he'd made enough charging for parking at big golf events at Congressional that it had paid one of his kid's college tuition.

Carrie Marriott is having a hard time reconciling the two different perspectives on entrepreneurship at the US Open. "The message to kids is, there's no American dream."

Written by Bruce Leshan
9News Now & wusa9.com

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/155167/158/County-Shuts-Down-Kids-Lemonade-Stand-500-Fine

BCD
06-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes, lets rape people on parking. What? Some kids are operating a lemonade stand without a permit? Fuck them kids. Shut em down.

durtyrute
06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Damn, how big was the stand?

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Rules are rules. Just because they're kids doesn't mean they're immune to them. Don't blame the justice system, blame the parents who told their kids it was okay. If they got away with it, what's to stop parents from making a quick buck by sending their innocent kids to sell shit.

Barak Obuttocks
06-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Looky here. Everyone has to get some skin in the game.

kstater
06-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Hard to fel bad for the cunt when she apparently got several warnings before getting the fine

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
I guess everyone missed this

"Cute little kids making five or ten dollars is a little bit different than making hundreds. You've got coolers and coolers here," the inspector responded. "To raise money for pediatric cancer," Marriott replied.

Ace Gunner
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
....the fuck?? kids don't set up lemonade stands for a $10 anymore.. duh

nowadays, you couldn't pay a kid 15c to put gum on your shoe

cosmo20002
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm sure there will be a lot of whining about oppressive govt shutting down a kid's lemonade stand. But this wasn't a little stand in the kid's front yard. It was on a busy street outside a major event.

I guess people should just be able to set up shop to sell whatever they want, where ever they want. Just make sure kids are involved and claim you are giving the proceeds to charity.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm sure there will be a lot of whining about oppressive govt shutting down a kid's lemonade stand. But this wasn't a little stand in the kid's front yard. It was on a busy street outside a major event.

I guess people should just be able to set up shop to sell whatever they want, where ever they want. Just make sure kids are involved and claim you are giving the proceeds to charity.

I know right? Lemonade could net these future punk...err kids a nice tidy profit. Before you know it they may be stepping up to mowing lawns, kids these days...sheesh.

KC native
06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Looky here. Everyone has to get some skin in the game.

Good ol' shitty, has already found his way back to CP. :rolleyes:

Barak Obuttocks
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
We can't have these kids competing with our corporate sponsors.

Backwards Masking
06-18-2011, 04:14 PM
This is great way to motiviate kids to grow up and participate in our Capitalistic Society. Should be a good lesson that trying to make an honest buck is the right way to go about supporting yourself and your family, the economy is fair and balanced and that crime doesn't pay.

Backwards Masking
06-18-2011, 04:17 PM
We can't have these kids competing with our corporate sponsors.

It is a free maket system and all.

Barak Obuttocks
06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
It is a free maket system and all.

Everybody will buy a Trabant--- err, ah--- I mean, a Volt.

orange
06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
This was the last "outraged over lemonade stand fascism thread" about a year ago:

Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231614&highlight=lemonade+stand&page=2

Cutting to the chase, this is how it turned out:

When Julie Murphy first decided to sell lemonade, she just wanted a little money to buy some treats. The 7-year-old's plans are a lot grander now.

After county health inspectors shut down her lemonade stand last month because she didn't have a food-safety license, radio station 105.1 and Les Schwab Tire Centers set her up in business for an afternoon.

Now, she has $1,838.31 -- enough to bankroll a trip to Disneyland for her mother and her at the end of this month.

"We just really appreciate everything that everyone did," said Julie's mother, Maria Fife. "She got her lemonade stand, she had a good experience and that's all she wanted in the first place. And she met some really cool people."

Plus, the girl gets to go on a vacation that her mother, who recently got a new job, had promised earlier would happen only "someday."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/girl_at_the_center_of_lemonade.html

Somehow, I just can't work up any tears.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-18-2011, 06:35 PM
This was the last "outraged over lemonade stand fascism thread" about a year ago:

Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231614&highlight=lemonade+stand&page=2

Cutting to the chase, this is how it turned out:

When Julie Murphy first decided to sell lemonade, she just wanted a little money to buy some treats. The 7-year-old's plans are a lot grander now.

After county health inspectors shut down her lemonade stand last month because she didn't have a food-safety license, radio station 105.1 and Les Schwab Tire Centers set her up in business for an afternoon.

Now, she has $1,838.31 -- enough to bankroll a trip to Disneyland for her mother and her at the end of this month.

"We just really appreciate everything that everyone did," said Julie's mother, Maria Fife. "She got her lemonade stand, she had a good experience and that's all she wanted in the first place. And she met some really cool people."

Plus, the girl gets to go on a vacation that her mother, who recently got a new job, had promised earlier would happen only "someday."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/girl_at_the_center_of_lemonade.html

Somehow, I just can't work up any tears.

I'm so happy the "Regulators" are sticking it to these well meaning kids.