PDA

View Full Version : Environment Poop Thread - Laws of Physics Trump Good Intentions

Baby Lee
06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/28/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL&tsp=1

San Francisco's big push for low-flow toilets has turned into a multimillion-dollar plumbing stink.

Skimping on toilet water has resulted in more sludge backing up inside the sewer pipes, said Tyrone Jue, spokesman for the city Public Utilities Commission. That has created a rotten-egg stench near AT&T Park and elsewhere, especially during the dry summer months.

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Now officials are stocking up on a $14 million, three-year supply of highly concentrated sodium hypochlorite - better known as bleach - to act as an odor eater and to disinfect the city's treated water before it's dumped into the bay. It will also be used to sanitize drinking water.

That translates into 8.5 million pounds of bleach either being poured down city drains or into the drinking water supply every year.

Not everybody thinks it's a good idea.

A Don't Bleach Our Bay alert has just gone out from eco-blogger Adam Lowry who argues the city would be much better off using a disinfectant like hydrogen peroxide - or better yet, a solution that would naturally break down the bacteria.

As for whether the supposedly environmentally friendly, low-flow toilets are worth the trouble? Well, according to Jue, they have helped trim San Francisco's annual water consumption by about 20 million gallons.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/27/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL#ixzz1PfrSIT00

Jaric
06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Can someone on the Eco side of things explain to me the need for these low flow toilets? My understanding was that our water treatment techniques are good enough to make running out of freshwater something that isn't inside the realm of reality.

My experience has been they're counter productive because I just end up having to flush twice which defeats the purpose of having a low flow toilet in the first place.

mlyonsd
06-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with me visiting SF in January.

BucEyedPea
06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with me visiting SF in January.

Are you saying you're full of shit? :p

Baby Lee
06-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Are you saying you're full of shit? :p

Not anymore, apparently.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm a big fan of charity, but I could care less if a million people die of thirst, I don't want streaks in my shitter.

SNR
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
When I was in Budapest, they had waterless toilets, and when you flushed them they were low-flow.

It really grossed me out. I've been to China where you shit in holes in the ground, and that's FAR more preferable to the toilets in Budapest.

San Francisco's full of shit.

notorious
06-19-2011, 08:33 AM
There are so many joke possiblities here it boggles the mind.