PDA

View Full Version : General Politics More John McCain FAIL

Chocolate Hog
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-mccain-chastises-2012-republican-field-isolationism/story?id=13878570

Former Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) took aim at his party for what he called its growing movement towards isolationism, chastising the current GOP presidential field for not supporting U.S. military intervention in Libya and calling for speedy troop withdrawals from Afghanistan.

"This is isolationism. There's always been an isolation strain in the Republican party, that Pat Buchanan wing of our party," McCain told "This Week" anchor Christiane Amanpour. "But now it seems to have moved more center stage."

At the first major Republican presidential primary debate in New Hampshire last week, several candidates criticized U.S. military involvement in Libya, while on Afghanistan former Mass. Governor Mitt Romney said, "It's time for us to bring our troops home as soon as we possibly can" based on the advice of military commanders.

"I wonder what Ronald Reagan would be saying today?" questioned McCain, saying the isolationism is a stark departure from traditional Republican foreign policy positions. "That is not the Republican party that has been willing to stand up for freedom for people for all over the world."

An ABC News-Washington Post poll released last week showed that 47 percent of respondents were not satisfied with the current Republican primary candidates. While McCain said he will not endorse any primary candidate until a nominee emerges, he said he is satisfied with the candidates currently in the field, and others who may enter in the coming weeks.

Afghanistan Troop Withdrawal Watch Video

"It's a tough process, but I'm confident that we will come up with a candidate that will be very competitive with President Obama," McCain said.

But he reiterated his warning against the current GOP presidential field abandoning U.S. oversees commitments.

"I do want to send a message and that is that we cannot move into an isolationist party," McCain said. "We cannot repeat the lessons of the 1930s when the United States of America stood by while bad things happened in the world."

Intervention in Libya

While McCain is best known as President Obama's rival during the 2008 presidential election, the Arizona senator and ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee has been a strong proponent of President Obama's intervention against the regime of Libyan President Moammar Gadhafi, who McCain described as "crumbling."

President Obama has come under fire recently for the U.S. involvement in Libya, which is taking place without congressional approval. Although McCain criticized Obama for "leading from behind" by having NATO take charge of the operation, he encouraged Congress to pass his co-sponsored resolution with Senator John Kerry (D-MA) giving congressional authorization for U.S. military involvement in Libya, which reached the 90-day mark today.

"If we do not continue this effort in Libya, if Gadhafi remains in power, it could have profound consequences," McCain warned.

McCain acknowledged that war weariness is a factor in opposition to U.S. involvement in Libya, but he disagreed with Republican candidates like Michele Bachmann who said at last week's GOP debate that the U.S. had "no vital national interest" there.

"I strongly disagree with her and others," McCain said. "The fact is our interest are our values. And our values are that we don't want people needlessly slaughtered by the thousands if we can prevent such activity."

Chocolate Hog
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
He forgot to mention Reagan pulled the troops out of Lebanon.

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
he's playing the bleeding heart liberal now. the dude is a crook. should have gone to jail for his role in the s/l rip off.

chiefzilla1501
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. A few years ago they bashed Obama for wanting to withdraw from Iraq, and now they suddenly got religion because it's a different President.

As a guy who sides with conservatives on wanting to slash budget, I don't understand why the party has taken it to the extreme stance that this also means majorly slashing our defense budget.

orange
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM

And you seem to have forgotten something, too.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223334&highlight=paul+reagan+lebanon

Chocolate Hog
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
He also said illegal aliens started the wildfires. What an old coot.

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. A few years ago they bashed Obama for wanting to withdraw from Iraq, and now they suddenly got religion because it's a different President.

As a guy who sides with conservatives on wanting to slash budget, I don't understand why the party has taken it to the extreme stance that this also means majorly slashing our defense budget.

because our defense budget is abused as is our military misused

SNR
06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
"I do want to send a message and that is that we cannot move into an isolationist party," McCain said. "We cannot repeat the lessons of the 1930s when the United States of America stood by while bad things happened in the world."

Bad things happened HERE, John. Screw the rest of the world

Ace Gunner
06-20-2011, 11:13 PM
more nonsense from this fuckstick;

Grijalva: McCain comments a 'new low' in discourse

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) lashed out at Sen. John McCain for speculating that illegal immigrants may have caused the recent wildfires in their home state, calling the senator’s remarks a “new low” in political discourse.

McCain said over the weekend that there was “substantial evidence” that some of the recent wildfires that have raged in Arizona may have been sparked by illegal immigrants. But U.S. Forest Service officials say there’s no evidence backing McCain’s claim, and the senator and three fellow Arizona Republicans blamed an unnamed senior Forest Service official for giving them that information.

Grijalva lamented that the Arizona culture is now “as toxic as I have ever seen it” in his five terms in Congress, saying “every misfortune is blamed on undocumented immigrants.”

“Senator McCain’s comments continue to provoke an extreme anti-immigrant and anti-Latino atmosphere in Arizona,” said Grijalva, who is co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. “This level of intolerance has reached a new low.”

Immigration has remained a contentious issue in Arizona since the state passed SB 1070, one of the nation’s toughest anti-immigration laws, in 2010. The Obama administration has sued the state of Arizona over the law and the Supreme Court recently upheld one provision of the law that punishes employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Grijalva faced backlash of his own during the immigration debate when he suggested that businesses boycott the economically-struggling state over the law.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2011, 08:38 AM

But, but....BUT that's supposed to be a fabrication spun outta whole cloth! o:-) LMAO

BucEyedPea
06-21-2011, 08:39 AM
And you seem to have forgotten something, too.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223334&highlight=paul+reagan+lebanon

Did Reagan not pull out of Beirut or not?

Chiefshrink
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
McCain is a very confused man who along with Lindsay Graham stick there fingers in the Mainstream Marxist Media air everyday and figure out what they want to hear everyday.

And yet the Repub elites want guys like this to represent us in 2012 (a la John Huntsman) who is another sure fire candidate with no spine to fight for "We The People" and will lose for sure.

Chiefshrink
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Give me a Perry/Bachman ticket at this point.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Give me a Perry/Bachman ticket at this point.
Why not Bachman/Perry? Isn't supposed to be ladies before gentlemen?

Pssst! Perry is a statist too. He is being persuaded by the big govt Establishment interests of the GOP! Probably because he will continue to bankrupt us with permanent wars in the ME.

oldandslow
06-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Why not Bachman/Perry? Isn't supposed to be ladies before gentlemen?

Pssst! Perry is a statist too. He is being persuaded by the big govt Establishment interests of the GOP! Probably because he will continue to bankrupt us with permanent wars in the ME.

And Bachman won't?

Radar Chief
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I’ll take “Reasons I didn’t vote for him first time around” for $1000, Alex.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
pretty much. I can't vote for a crook that stole from my senior neighbors. I'll never forget that s/l thing. it was the first real evidence of banks and politicians in collusion to rip off americans. old ppl too. I had an old couple renting a place at the time and they lost everything, all their savings were taken by mccain and co. they moved out, I let them stay a few months free but they were starving and moved back east to their children's home. I heard a few months later the old man died. just can't help thinking mccain and those banks had something to do with that.

I'm a republican, but I did not vote for mccain. I didn't vote for a president this time. frankly, as much a fascist obama is, I believe mccain would advance the agenda more if given the opp.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
more nonsense from this ****stick;

Grijalva: McCain comments a 'new low' in discourse

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) lashed out at Sen. John McCain for speculating that illegal immigrants may have caused the recent wildfires in their home state, calling the senator’s remarks a “new low” in political discourse.

McCain said over the weekend that there was “substantial evidence” that some of the recent wildfires that have raged in Arizona may have been sparked by illegal immigrants. But U.S. Forest Service officials say there’s no evidence backing McCain’s claim, and the senator and three fellow Arizona Republicans blamed an unnamed senior Forest Service official for giving them that information.

Grijalva lamented that the Arizona culture is now “as toxic as I have ever seen it” in his five terms in Congress, saying “every misfortune is blamed on undocumented immigrants.”

“Senator McCain’s comments continue to provoke an extreme anti-immigrant and anti-Latino atmosphere in Arizona,” said Grijalva, who is co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus. “This level of intolerance has reached a new low.”

Immigration has remained a contentious issue in Arizona since the state passed SB 1070, one of the nation’s toughest anti-immigration laws, in 2010. The Obama administration has sued the state of Arizona over the law and the Supreme Court recently upheld one provision of the law that punishes employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Grijalva faced backlash of his own during the immigration debate when he suggested that businesses boycott the economically-struggling state over the law.

When you say "fuckstick" here I hope you are talking about Grijalva. I'm dissapointed in McCain but Grijalva should be strung up on an American flag pole and left to the coyotes.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
And Bachman won't?

I have said before, I'd have to know her FP stands. I was merely being facetious by putting her name in front of Perry's and saying ladies first.

orange
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Did Reagan not pull out of Beirut or not?

Getting your butt kicked out of Lebanon because of operational stupidity does not equal non-interventionism.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/ghapama/nj-1984beirut.jpg
Ronald Reagan non-intervening in Lebanon.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 12:34 PM
When you say "****stick" here I hope you are talking about Grijalva. I'm dissapointed in McCain but Grijalva should be strung up on an American flag pole and left to the coyotes.

who gives a shit about the mexican. nobody obviously, with exception to you. nobody listened to the dude when he called for a boycott.

cops checking ID's one at a time is the stupidest fucking idea anyone can come up with. we do that at the border. they do that within the state too, waste of policing, bad for public safety.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
who gives a shit about the mexican. nobody obviously, with exception to you. nobody listened to the dude when he called for a boycott.

cops checking ID's one at a time is the stupidest ****ing idea anyone can come up with. we do that at the border. they do that within the state too, waste of policing, bad for public safety.

LMAO
I love when some yokel living in the landlocked middle of BFE tells me what people in the state in which I live care about.

Are you saying you think it is okay for an elected US government official to call for a boycott of HIS OWN STATE?

Chief Faithful
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Getting your butt kicked out of Lebanon because of operational stupidity does not equal non-interventionism.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/ghapama/nj-1984beirut.jpg
Ronald Reagan non-intervening in Lebanon.

Interesting picture, true story, one of those 16" shells destroyed the kitchen of my father's home and killed 3 family members.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 02:27 PM
LMAO
I love when some yokel living in the landlocked middle of BFE tells me what people in the state in which I live care about.

Are you saying you think it is okay for an elected US government official to call for a boycott of HIS OWN STATE?

you must be a gov't worker

go bowe
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
LMAO

uhhhh...

not to be too picky here, but isn't arizona also landlocked, or did california fall off already?

Coyote
06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
A fairly accurate timeline-I think.
10 September -- Battleship USS New Jersey (BB-62) was alerted for deployment to the Eastern Mediterranean.

19 September -- USS John Rodgers and USS Virginia (CGN-38) fire 338 five-inch rounds to help Lebanese Army troops retain hold on strategic Shouf Mountains village of Suq al Gharb. American role shifted from "presence" to direct support of Lebanese Armed Forces, in perception of rebel factions.

20 September -- Residence of U.S. ambassador was shelled; USS John Rodgers and USS Virginia responded.

21 September -- USS John Rodgers and USS Arthur Radford (DD-968) responded to shelling of Marines at Beirut International Airport.

At this point the US shifted from being strictly part of a “ peacekeeper” UN force to being an active participant siding with the Lebanese government in their civil war. Regardless of whether we should have or not, the idea was to get SOME group back in control of the country, and the UN clearly was not able to do it. The best chance for stability was to support the already-existing government.

26 September -- Cease-fire went into effect at 0600. Announced by Saudi Arabian and Syrian officials in Damascus, supported by Druze. Talks begin on formation of new coalition government for Lebanon. Marine casualties to date: five killed, 49 wounded.

1 October -- 31st MAU departed Mediterranean for Indian Ocean, in response to threatened crisis near Strait of Hormuz.

5 October -- Two Marine helicopters hit by ground fire.

8 October -- Two Marines wounded by sniper fire.

13 October -- One Marine wounded by grenade fragments.

14 October -- One Marine killed, three wounded by sniper fire. Marine snipers responded, setting off three-hour fire-fight. Ceasefire of 26 September still in place.

15 October -- Marine snipers kill four snipers.

16 October -- One Marine killed, five wounded by sniper fire.

23 October -- Suicide truck loaded with equivalent of 12,000 pounds of explosives destroyed headquarters building of BLT 1/8 at Beirut International Airport. Almost simultaneous suicide attack destroyed building occupied by French paratroopers. U.S. casualties: 241 killed, 70 wounded. French casualties: 58 killed. Marine replacement airlifts, via 13 C-141 aircraft, begin the same day.

4 November -- Department of Defense established commission headed by Admiral Robert L.G. Long (USN (Ret.), to investigate 23 October suicide attack at Beirut International Airport. Suicide driver blows up Israeli headquarters in Tyre, killing 29 soldiers and 32 prisoners.

22 November -- Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger stated that the 23 October suicide attack on the Marines was carried out by Iranians with the "sponsorship, knowledge, and authority of the Syrian government."

4 December -- Marines at Beirut International Airport came under heavy fire from gun positions in Syrian-held territory. Marine casualties: eight killed, two wounded. Naval gunfire missions fired in retaliation. Earlier in the day, a 29-plane raid was conducted on Syrian antiaircraft positions in the mountains east of Beirut, in retaliation for Syrian fire directed at American aerial reconnaissance missions. Two U.S. aircraft are downed, in this first combat mission over Lebanon.

15 December -- The battleship USS New Jersey delivered 16-inch gunfire on antiaircraft positions in the Syrian-occupied mountains southeast of Beirut, as the Syrians continue to fire at U.S. reconnaissance flights over the area. This was the USS New Jersey's first action off Lebanon.

1984:

15 January -- Druze gunners closed Beirut International Airport for three hours with intense 23mm fire on Marine positions east and southeast of the airport. U.S. forces responded with small arms fire, mortars, rockets, tank fire, and naval gunfire from the battleship USS New Jersey and destroyer USS Tattnall. No U.S. casualties.

6 February -- Druze and Moslem militiamen seized much of Beirut.

7 February -- President Reagan announced decision to redeploy Marines from Beirut International Airport to ships offshore, leaving a residual force behind to protect the U.S. Embassy and other American interests. Increased reliance on air strikes and naval gunfire support indicated.

8 February -- USS New Jersey bombarded Druze and Syrian gun positions as part of the heaviest naval gunfire support since the arrival of the Marines in 1982.

10-11 February -- American civilians and other foreign nationals were evacuated from Beirut by helicopter.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
uhhhh...

not to be too picky here, but isn't arizona also landlocked, or did california fall off already?

Arizona is bordered on one side by a sea of mexicans. Forgive me, I used 'landlocked' to refer to non-border states. You are of course correct.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
you must be a gov't worker

You must not be psychic.

Rooster
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm still mad at him for starting all this Palin bullshit. If it wasn't for him that bitch would still be hunting moose in Alaska and nobody would know who she is.

Damn it McCain:cuss:

go bowe
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
You must not be psychic.
LMAO LMAO LMAO

fan4ever
06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm still mad at him for starting all this Palin bullshit. If it wasn't for him that bitch would still be hunting moose in Alaska and nobody would know who she is.

Damn it McCain:cuss:

That's funny...that's the only thing I liked about him...and I'm from AZ, so I know this sorry old man pretty well.

Here's a hint; Palin will go away as soon as liberals and the media let her. She's their favorite thing to hate...at least until the Republican candidate emerges.

Radar Chief
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
That's funny...that's the only thing I liked about him...and I'm from AZ, so I know this sorry old man pretty well.

Same here, and I'd take her in a heart beat over the Teleprompter.

patteeu
06-21-2011, 08:33 PM
But, but....BUT that's supposed to be a fabrication spun outta whole cloth! o:-) LMAO

No, your quote suggesting that Reagan's entire worldview changed as a result of our Lebanon experience is what was fabricated. Reagan really did pull our Marines out of Lebanon when he realized that putting them into a conflict without sufficient rules of engagement to secure their environment was a mistake.

Chocolate Hog
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Reagan would be a isolationist by McCains standards.

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
What does the chipmunk carry in his cheek pouches

Dave Lane
06-21-2011, 10:31 PM
What does the chipmunk carry in his cheek pouches

Most of the posters in DC?

patteeu
06-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Reagan would be a isolationist by McCains standards.

LOL Not likely.

Chocolate Hog
06-22-2011, 02:06 AM
LOL Not likely.

Reagan pulled out of Lebanon.

patteeu
06-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Reagan pulled out of Lebanon.

At the same time Reagan was pulling out of Lebanon, he was authorizing naval and air bombardment of rebels in that country. Just a few months earlier, he sent US forces to invade Grenada. Reagan also fought a covert war in Nicaragua and bombed Libya. I doubt that McCain would call him an isolationist.

Radar Chief
06-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I doubt that McCain would call him an isolationist.

I don’t but that’s because Gramps is crazy not because there’s any truth to it.

patteeu
06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I don’t but that’s because Gramps is crazy not because there’s any truth to it.

Well you've got a point there.