PDA

View Full Version : Man robs store for a dollar so he can get health care in prison for medical problems

-King-
06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
A North Carolina (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/North+Carolina) man robbed a local store for a dollar just so he could get health care in prison, he said.

James Verone (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/James+Verone), 59, handed the teller a note demanding $1 and claimed he had a gun, ABC News reported (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/nc-man-allegedly-robs-bank-health-care-jail/story?id=13887040).

He then walked away and sat down, waiting for police.

"I started to walk away from the teller, then I went back and said, I'll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police," he said, according to local television station 9News (http://www.9news.com/news/sidetracks/204061/337/Man-robbed-bank-for-1-to-cover-jail-health-care). "I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons."

Verone, who committed the robbery on June 9, does not plan to pay his bail, which was recently reduced to $2,000.
With little money to his name and many medical problems, including a growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and an unidentified problem with his left foot, he said the "robbery" was his last resort.
"The pain was beyond the tolerance that I could accept," he told the Gaston Gazette (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/bank-58397-richard-hailed.html). "I kind of hit a brick wall with everything."
He calculated that a non-violent crime like the bank hold-up would land him in jail, and even enable him to collect Social Security (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Social+Security) benefits upon his release.

"I'm sort of a logical person and that was my logic, what I came up with," he said.

On the day he committed the felony, Verone mailed a letter to the Gaston Gazette explaining his logic.

"When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me. This robbery is being committed by me for one dollar," he wrote. "I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/06/21/2011-06-21_north_carolina_man_robs_store_for_a_dollar_so_he_can_get_health_care_in_prison_f.html#ixzz1Pv8vox Uv

doomy3
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Damn, that's sad.

Gonzo
06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Sad, but brilliant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
That sounds about right.

JD10367
06-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Prison health care? I'd buy that for a dollar!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj5r63QTyx1qbo4dlo1_500.jpg

blaise
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd rather suffer with health problems outside prison than be in one with free health care.

loochy
06-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I'd rather suffer with health problems outside prison than be in one with free health care.

I kind of agree with this. Prison is not a happy place.

-King-
06-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Suffering from pain every day isn't a happy thing either.

JD10367
06-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Maybe he's gay, so prison would be a happier place for him than for us. :shrug:

http://shaggysooners.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-sex011.gif

HMc
06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
We don't want the gummint takin ova our health cair! free market!!

blaise
06-21-2011, 09:17 AM

If you're so concerned, maybe you could send a check right to the guy to help cover his medical costs.

PGM
06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
As long as he likes jelly with his tossed salad, he'll be fine.

Brock
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
He might be getting his prostate examined regularly.

Frazod
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Well, chances are he'll be in the infirmary most of the time he's there. Will probably cut down on the rump rangers.

Cave Johnson
06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
He calculated that a non-violent crime like the bank hold-up would land him in jail, and even enable him to collect Social Security benefits upon his release.

Common misconception.

The irony is, with 2 ruptured discs and his age, he'd likely qualify for SSD and Medicaid.

Dartgod
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I see a move to the DC forum in this thread's future.

It's unavoidable.
Posted via Mobile Device

HMc
06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
If you're so concerned, maybe you could send a check right to the guy to help cover his medical costs.

I would happilly pay for 1/200000000 (or however many american taxpayers there are)of it, yeah.

Brock
06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I would happilly pay for 1/200000000 (or however many american taxpayers there are)of it, yeah.

Well, you don't get a vote.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM

As unfathomable as it is to the rest of the World, we're raised to not give a shit about anyone but ourselves and close family members here in America. The I am my Brother's keeper line is either outdated, or complete bullshit.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM

When we need another countries opinion on our affairs we will give it to you.

loochy
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
As unfathomable as it is to the rest of the World, we're raised to try to game the system and not take responsibility for ourselves. We have so many scammers and cheaters that we automatically assume that someone in need is just trying to pull a fast one on us. My brother can keep himself, thank you very much.

loochy
06-21-2011, 10:11 AM

You're right, we don't.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
As unfathomable as it is to the rest of the World, we're raised to try to game the system and not take responsibility for ourselves. We have so many scammers and cheaters that we automatically assume that someone in need is just trying to pull a fast one on us. My brother can keep himself, thank you very much.

We also manipulate others and ourselves to try and justify our selfish viewpoints. It would be an outrage to let someone die in the street, so we villify them in order to sleep better at night. We're great at it!

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
As unfathomable as it is to the rest of the World, we're raised to not give a shit about anyone but ourselves and close family members here in America. The I am my Brother's keeper line is either outdated, or complete bullshit.

Yeah, how do we sleep while our beds are burning?

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM

He's just one sick person, and not all Americans pay taxes. Why don't you just contact the prison and send a check for $100 to the guy?

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Big business wouldn't think twice of taking any advantage available. Why should the individual be any different?

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
We also manipulate others and ourselves to try and justify our selfish viewpoints. It would be an outrage to let someone die in the street, so we villify them in order to sleep better at night. We're great at it!

That, or we can say we care about them, and ask why isn't anyone helping them as we sit on our asses and watch TV.

loochy
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Big business wouldn't think twice of taking any advantage available. Why should the individual be any different?

Oh, I think he should take advantage if that's what he really wants...but I don't think his logic is well thought out.

Bump
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
It's really sad that this guy had to do this just to get some fucking help. I'm sure the hospitals and pharma told this guy, either you pay us $100,000 or more for our 3 hours of work on you, or you die. I bet this guy even had insurance but it already dropped them.

The only crime committed here is the health care profit system. It should be a human right to get help when you need it, not a money issue. The people who get rich off of our suffering need to be put down.

Cave Johnson
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Those pathetic fundraisers on convenience store counters would beg to differ.

Valiant
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Good for him. Many said for years prisoners have it too easy. 3 meals a day, health careand a roof over your head. Someone actually weighed the consequence and decided it is a better life.

loochy
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Have you SEEN how many pennies are in those things?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
That, or we can say we care about them, and ask why isn't anyone helping them as we sit on our asses and watch TV.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone who advocates taking better care of our poor and downtrodden are poor and downtrodden themselves. LOL, whatever helps you sleep better at night. As an American it's your right to be selfish and not give a shit about anyone but yourself. I'm not sure why you're so bothered by my comments.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
It's really sad that this guy had to do this just to get some ****ing help. I'm sure the hospitals and pharma told this guy, either you pay us $100,000 or more for our 3 hours of work on you, or you die. I bet this guy even had insurance but it already dropped them.

The only crime committed here is the health care profit system. It should be a human right to get help when you need it, not a money issue. The people who get rich off of our suffering need to be put down.

Your powers of deduction are uncanny.

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm sure everyone who advocates taking better care of our poor and downtrodden are poor and downtrodden themselves. LOL, whatever helps you sleep better at night. As an American it's your right to be selfish and not give a shit about anyone but yourself. I'm not sure why you're so bothered by my comments.

I have no idea what most of that means. You're saying people justify not helping by blaming the poor. I'm saying others do nothing themselves and then justify not helping by asking why others don't.

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

So would the lines of homeless people being fed by churches.

Bump
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Your powers of deduction are uncanny.

ya, everything is fine and dandy in your world. Nothing wrong with the health care system is there? You're doing just fine? just wait until you or a loved one gets cancer and the insurance drops you and you die over money. Shit doesn't need to be so expensive and put people in bankruptcy over a little bit of medical help, but it does. All they care about is their profits and they can charge whatever the hell they want. Until Americans wake the fuck up and take a stand, this corruption will never end.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
ya, everything is fine and dandy in your world. Nothing wrong with the health care system is there? You're doing just fine? just wait until you or a loved one gets cancer and the insurance drops you and you die over money. Shit doesn't need to be so expensive and put people in bankruptcy over a little bit of medical help, but it does. All they care about is their profits and they can charge whatever the hell they want. Until Americans wake the **** up and take a stand, this corruption will never end.

What's good about your posts is that you don't engage in any outrageously overzealous hyperbole which would completely discredit you.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I have no idea what most of that means. You're saying people justify not helping by blaming the poor. I'm saying others do nothing themselves and then justify not helping by asking why others don't.

LOL that's shortsighted, ignorant, and selfish. Individuals are powerless to the health care system. It takes action by voters. Saying everything is fine, and villifying people who genuinely need help because they lost the genetic lottery is the problem. I know, regulation is NEVER necessary. One day it may hurt your profit line.

blaise
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
LOL that's shortsighted, ignorant, and selfish. Individuals are powerless to the health care system. It takes action by voters. Saying everything is fine, and villifying people who genuinely need help because they lost the genetic lottery is the problem. I know, regulation is NEVER necessary. One day it may hurt your profit line.

You're responding to arguments I'm not even making. It's ignorant to say some people sit on their ass and ask why others aren't doing anything, but reasonable for you to say we're a nation of people that says, "F-you" to the poor?
You're not making much sense.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
What do people think could be voted on? Premium health care and medicine isn't some static quantity that will always be there no matter what the cost.
If the financial incentive is taken away then the overall quality of doctors and pharmaceutical progress will decrease accordingly.

If they want to set something up where low income people can go into low-cost clinics, say those staffed by medical interns, then fine if it is cost effective.
But to tear down a health care system that offers as much quality as ours does would be a huge injustice to the majority.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
You're responding to arguments I'm not even making. It's ignorant to say some people sit on their ass and ask why others aren't doing anything, but reasonable for you to say we're a nation of people that says, "F-you" to the poor?
You're not making much sense.

I think you're clearly deflecting. Who gives a shit if some people sit on their ass? What does that have to do with my original statement? Meh, whatever. It's clearly turned into a dog and pony show thread, now.

Cave Johnson
06-21-2011, 10:49 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KbVHbEGerRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cave Johnson
06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
If they want to set something up where low income people can go into low-cost clinics, say those staffed by medical interns, then fine if it is cost effective.
But to tear down a health care system that offers as much quality as ours does would be a huge injustice to the majority.

The rub is that the lack of preventative/basic care for 30% of the population cancels out the net benefit from our advances in medical techniques and drugs.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
What do people think could be voted on? Premium health care and medicine isn't some static quantity that will always be there no matter what the cost.
If the financial incentive is taken away then the overall quality of doctors and pharmaceutical progress will decrease accordingly.

At least that is thinking outside the box. Maybe cap malpractice suits on low income cases and allow students to take a live final by performing a much needed operation on someone in need. That would be a start anyways.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
The rub is that the lack of preventative/basic care for 30% of the population cancels out the net benefit from our advances in medical techniques and drugs.

Yes, which is why carriers offer preventative care for 0 premium.
I'm all for finding a cost effective way to make that work, as I mentioned maybe subsidized clinics staffed by interns/med students/physician assistant interns.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
At least that is thinking outside the box. Maybe cap malpractice suits on low income cases and allow students to take a live final by performing a much needed operation on someone in need. That would be a start anyways.

Yes 100% to tort reform in the medical field.

There has to be a way to get some form of healthcare to those who can't afford all of their own without sabotaging the existing high level of care we have built over the past almost 300 years.

Dartgod
06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I see a move to the DC forum in this thread's future.

It's unavoidable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heh.

ClevelandBronco
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
LOL that's shortsighted, ignorant, and selfish. Individuals are powerless to the health care system. It takes action by voters...

Yeah, well, in my world voters wouldn't be able to do jack shit about the health care system. Consumers, on the other hand, would wield considerable power.

You shouldn't get a Cadillac just because "we" know how to build one. You shouldn't get health care just because "we" know how to provide it.

Bump
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
the dirt poor can get better health care than a middle class, hard working family guy. In a lot of states, the extremely poor can get everything they need for free. But a person who works for it will be screwed over eventually and will die over money.

Brock
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
the dirt poor can get better health care than a middle class, hard working family guy. In a lot of states, the extremely poor can get everything they need for free. But a person who works for it will be screwed over eventually and will die over money.

Yeah, no.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 12:27 PM

ya, everything is too affordable......

Chocolate Hog
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
He just did it so he could get a waiver from Obamacare.

blaise
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
He just did it so he could get a waiver from Obamacare.

He'll be an anecdote in the next campaign.

Saul Good
06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Everyone should have thr right to health care, food, shelter, and reliable transportation just for being born.

Its so hard to get health insurance that only a few hundred million people in the US have it.

go bowe
06-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah, well, in my world voters wouldn't be able to do jack shit about the health care system. Consumers, on the other hand, would wield considerable power.

You shouldn't get a Cadillac just because "we" know how to build one. You shouldn't get health care just because "we" know how to provide it.are you suggesting that health care is a luxury like a cadillac?

that's harsh...

Dave Lane
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Quoted for truth. America cares less about it's citizens than anywhere I am aware of. Not sure if this me me me is religious based, the lord helps those that helps themselves, or just a weird greed thing. Probably the latter.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
are you suggesting that health care is a luxury like a cadillac?

that's harsh...

It is easy to say people who can't pay for it should have the same health care as people who can but after that can you tell me how to pay for it?

In a world of limited resources there are some harsh realities which call for practical measures. Government clinics for the poor?

vailpass
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Quoted for truth. America cares less about it's citizens than anywhere I am aware of. Not sure if this me me me is religious based, the lord helps those that helps themselves, or just a weird greed thing. Probably the latter.

Catholic charities provide more assistance to the sick, orphaned and poor than any other organization in the world and it isn't even close.
Self reliance isn't a religious thing comrade, it is an American thing.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
ya, like medical care is affordable by the majority of americans

vailpass
06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
ya, like medical care is affordable by the majority of americans

By all means sulk about what you can't afford on an internet board instead of taking your ass out and making it happen.

go bowe
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
It is easy to say people who can't pay for it should have the same health care as people who can but after that can you tell me how to pay for it?

In a world of limited resources there are some harsh realities which call for practical measures. Government clinics for the poor?
harsh realities and practical measures apply to things that can be cut like the epa or congressional expenses or unneeded weapons programs that are too expensive to use in actual combat...

it's all a matter of priorities...

if aid to foreign countries is more important than the well-being of the least among us, then cut health care...

if tax cuts for the wealthy are more important, then cut health care...

there are cuts that can be made and need to be made, but i would cut lots of things before i would further reduce health care for the poor...

government clinics exist already through local non-profit organizations that serve the poor and who receive most of their support from the government...

cuts in support for these clinics directly impacts the poor as lower guidelines necessitated by budget cuts means fewer people qualify including the working poor who would no longer be able to get health care of any kind...

and imo government operated health clinics are not the answer, just look at the va hospital system...

the (sort of) private sector local nonprofits should contiune to be funded at the current levels if not higher investments to keep pace at least with inflation...

and the private sector always performs better than government, right guys?

go bowe
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
By all means sulk about what you can't afford on an internet board instead of taking your ass out and making it happen.

don't you think that tens of millions out of work and the i think it is 1 in 4 americans who are on foodstamps would be taking their ass out and making jobs happen if they could?

jobs that simply don't exist in today's economy: how do you make something happen with no job and no real hope of getting one for the foreseeable future?

how many of those miliions of people do you think actually prefer no heath insurance, no income, foodstamps and government assistance?

vailpass
06-21-2011, 01:40 PM
don't you think that tens of millions out of work and the i think it is 1 in 4 americans who are on foodstamps would be taking their ass out and making jobs happen if they could?

jobs that simply don't exist in today's economy: how do you make something happen with no job and no real hope of getting one for the foreseeable future?

how many of those miliions of people do you think actually prefer no heath insurance, no income, foodstamps and government assistance?

No , I do not think anything of the kind. Do you?
I think a large percentage of those who are unemployed and/or on foodstamps choose to be so.
I think that if tomorrow they were all told they had to pay their own bills within 8 weeks or they would be executed a large percentage would suddently find work. Maybe not what they want to be doing, maybe working two jobs, but a large percentage would get off that 4th generation welfare roll or that stopped-looking-for-work line and make it happen.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 01:49 PM

america. make it so........

vailpass
06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
america. make it so........

Damn right. You disagree?

Don't take it hard n00b I'm an asshole to everyone here. Ask anybody. Except Donger, you don't ask Donger. Donger asks you.

go bowe
06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
No , I do not think anything of the kind. Do you?
I think a large percentage of those who are unemployed and/or on foodstamps choose to be so.
I think that if tomorrow they were all told they had to pay their own bills within 8 weeks or they would be executed a large percentage would suddently find work. Maybe not what they want to be doing, maybe working two jobs, but a large percentage would get off that 4th generation welfare roll or that stopped-looking-for-work line and make it happen.

i know of a number of people, including family members who lost everything when they lost their jobs and who have never stopped looking for work...

people with skills and/or education don't get hired for the menial jobs or other minimum wage jobs because they are over-qualified and because there are lots of people out of work who have only done those types of jobs and who don't have any prospect at all of leaving for a better job once the economy turns around...

i guess i just fundamentally disagree with your assessment that there is a large percentage of people who are unemployed and/or on food stamps who choose to be on government assistance...

in addition to personal experiences i worked with disabled people for over 20 years and virtually all of them were poor, even those who were doing well before getting laid off...

not one, not one of those people wanted to be on any kind of government assistance, they all wanted to work but couldn't because of medical problems...

and their friends and relatives who were unemployed were the same way, they wanted to work but there is no work available...

sure, some take advantage if you will of the system, but it is no rosy life with cadillacs...

those situations are really rare, it's the drug dealers and gang members who drive those cars, not welfare queens...

unless of course the driver is an educated employed black person, then they still shouldn't be driving a cadillac, they should be driving a beamer or a porche ;)...

Bump
06-21-2011, 02:11 PM

people who do pay for it get screwed at some point. You can pay your premium for health insurance every month for 20 years, but once something bad happens, that million dollar limit will be blown in 2 days of care and that's when you get fucked. People who do everything the right way, but aren't billionaires, will get screwed. Insurance companies do every little thing they can to make sure they don't have to pay when the going gets real tough, then they drop you, then you're dead and it's all because of greed.

Bump
06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

is it really that high?

Saul Good
06-21-2011, 02:26 PM
people who do pay for it get screwed at some point. You can pay your premium for health insurance every month for 20 years, but once something bad happens, that million dollar limit will be blown in 2 days of care and that's when you get ****ed. People who do everything the right way, but aren't billionaires, will get screwed. Insurance companies do every little thing they can to make sure they don't have to pay when the going gets real tough, then they drop you, then you're dead and it's all because of greed.

I'm assuming that you don't pay them more than what they charge you for premiums. Why should they pay you in excess of $1,000,000 if that's the policy max?

Want a higher max? Buy a better policy.

Bump
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm assuming that you don't pay them more than what they charge you for premiums. Why should they pay you in excess of $1,000,000 if that's the policy max?

Want a higher max? Buy a better policy.

right, that's the answer to it all huh? Too many morons like you who can't see things for what they really are.

ClevelandBronco
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM
are you suggesting that health care is a luxury like a cadillac?

that's harsh...

Absolutely. It's a thing you can decide to purchase if you have the means.

Bump
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Absolutely. It's a thing you can decide to purchase if you have the means.

My God, right wings are fucking idiotic. They are soooooo clueless most of the time and believe everything they are told, the bible and any republican politician's words are golden to them always and they would never lie or be made up.

ClevelandBronco
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
My God, right wings are ****ing idiotic. They are soooooo clueless most of the time and believe everything they are told, the bible and any republican politician's words are golden to them always and they would never lie or be made up.

Parasite.

Dave Lane
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Catholic charities provide more assistance to the sick, orphaned and poor than any other organization in the world and it isn't even close.
Self reliance isn't a religious thing comrade, it is an American thing.

Less than .007% of what they take in.

Saul Good
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
right, that's the answer to it all huh? Too many morons like you who can't see things for what they really are.

That's not the answer to it all, but its the answer to the $1,000,000 max. I don't buy a hamburger at McDonalds and expect them to feed my entire family for the rest of our lives in exchange for the $1.00 they charge me, either.

I don't expect a cheap insurance policy to pay a billion dollars to keep me alive. It sucks that there are a finite amount of resources in this world, but that is reality. Every dollar's worth of time, energy, and resources spent on caring for one person is a dollar's worth that isn't spent on another person. If you don't like the situation, become a doctor and work for free.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
i know of a number of people, including family members who lost everything when they lost their jobs and who have never stopped looking for work...

people with skills and/or education don't get hired for the menial jobs or other minimum wage jobs because they are over-qualified and because there are lots of people out of work who have only done those types of jobs and who don't have any prospect at all of leaving for a better job once the economy turns around...

i guess i just fundamentally disagree with your assessment that there is a large percentage of people who are unemployed and/or on food stamps who choose to be on government assistance...

in addition to personal experiences i worked with disabled people for over 20 years and virtually all of them were poor, even those who were doing well before getting laid off...

not one, not one of those people wanted to be on any kind of government assistance, they all wanted to work but couldn't because of medical problems...

and their friends and relatives who were unemployed were the same way, they wanted to work but there is no work available...

sure, some take advantage if you will of the system, but it is no rosy life with cadillacs...

those situations are really rare, it's the drug dealers and gang members who drive those cars, not welfare queens...

unless of course the driver is an educated employed black person, then they still shouldn't be driving a cadillac, they should be driving a beamer or a porche ;)...

I do not refer to the disabled or infirm. Until I can't find a single job advertised in the paper, on the myriad of internet job sites, in employment offices, then I will believe there are a large percentage of able bodied people w ho could be working but choose not to because it is easier for them to do so. Because they feel they can collect almost the same in government charity without working for it.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Less than .007% of what they take in.

Loon less talky more quiety from you boy. Keep your made-up bullshit to yourself.
Unless you want to explain to us why you think self-reliance is some sort of evil thing and not a vital, basic American trait?

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Back in my day. We just gave the doc a chicken & let him watch through the window when the kids bathed on saturday night.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Back in my day. We just gave the doc a chicken & let him watch through the window when the kids bathed on saturday night.

LMAO

Dunit35
06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
They should PR him out. In Oklahoma, if a person has pre existing medical issues the jail doesn't have to pay the bills.

Ace Gunner
06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
I do not refer to the disabled or infirm. Until I can't find a single job advertised in the paper, on the myriad of internet job sites, in employment offices, then I will believe there are a large percentage of able bodied people w ho could be working but choose not to because it is easier for them to do so. Because they feel they can collect almost the same in government charity without working for it.

maybe do a lil more research on those jobs. as a biz owner, I can tell you every time I put an ad out the past few years I expect several hundred emails and hundreds of interviews - which is paired down from literally a thousand responses.

it'sa owner's dream these last 10 years, I don't pay what I used to cuz there's a ton of ppl out there that will work for a lot less. I feel badly for my fellow americans, I pay well once my employees have passed 1 year and my ppl compliment me for it. I work in human services so to speak, I manage ppl and help them improve their entertainment value, tho I'm not an agent or manager.

the areas where I think america would improve would be to lower taxes across the board & deregulate the insurance industry. those two moves would create tons of jobs in america. the regs on insurance help those companies do lil and earn a lot. the gov't needs to go back to inforcing basic business law & end forcing americans to pay into the industry that has done nothing to make costs come down, but in fact has made costs go up and performance way too costly.

FishingRod
06-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Ones natural reaction is of course that a country as wealthy as ours, things like this happening is a disgrace. Without any real background on the man or his situation it is hard to say if he was a victim of circumstances beyond his control or not. This writer decided to tell it in a manner sympathetic to the bank robber, what might it sound like if they decided to go for the opposite way?.

James Verone 59 handed the teller a note demanding money $1 claiming he was armed. The teller a mother of two small children has been unable to work since the incident claiming traumatic stress. She was quoted as saying I feared for my life, anyone crazy enough to Rob a bank for a dollar is certainly crazy enough to shoot you just for being in the wrong place. Verone, who committed the Robbery has shown no remorse for the crime and has bragged that it was his way of milking the system out of free shelter food and medical care and bragged that he had no plans of working once he was released from jail but, plans on continuing to leach off society by collecting social security. ďIím sort of a logical person and by my logic I donít really see any reason to get a job or work for a living while I can take advantage of the Government. Itís not like Iím stealing from a real person.Ē

vailpass
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
maybe do a lil more research on those jobs. as a biz owner, I can tell you every time I put an ad out the past few years I expect several hundred emails and hundreds of interviews - which is paired down from literally a thousand responses.

it'sa owner's dream these last 10 years, I don't pay what I used to cuz there's a ton of ppl out there that will work for a lot less. I feel badly for my fellow americans, I pay well once my employees have passed 1 year and my ppl compliment me for it. I work in human services so to speak, I manage ppl and help them improve their entertainment value, tho I'm not an agent or manager.

the areas where I think america would improve would be to lower taxes across the board & deregulate the insurance industry. those two moves would create tons of jobs in america. the regs on insurance help those companies do lil and earn a lot. the gov't needs to go back to inforcing basic business law & end forcing americans to pay into the industry that has done nothing to make costs come down, but in fact has made costs go up and performance way too costly.

If you are able bodied and want to work you can work. If one job isn't enough work 2. There are many out there doing it right now.
If you don't like working 2 jobs make the necessary changes to achieve your goals.
I won't ask you to pay my way, don't ask me to pay yours if you are able to do so yourself.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
...I won't ask you to pay my way, don't ask me to pay yours if you are able to do so yourself.

I don't have a problem with someone asking. I have a huge problem with people who think they have some kind of a right to take other people's property.

It's the difference between panhandling and mugging.

vailpass
06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't have a problem with someone asking. I have a huge problem with people who think they have some kind of a right to take other people's property.

It's the difference between panhandling and mugging.

Point well taken.

Ace Gunner
06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
If you are able bodied and want to work you can work. If one job isn't enough work 2. There are many out there doing it right now.
If you don't like working 2 jobs make the necessary changes to achieve your goals.
I won't ask you to pay my way, don't ask me to pay yours if you are able to do so yourself.

the thing is, you do pay the way and as an american, you're supposed to feel good about it. I understand what you're driving at, but you don't seem to grasp the reality of socialism. you're already there, america. you just don't want to admit it. instead, you play this blame game saying it's all the poor ppl's fault.

ya. right. the poor ppl have taken over. sure.

Hydrae
06-22-2011, 12:30 PM

I have contended for a long time that things like our welfare system make this worse.

"I don't have to wonder if Joe down the street has food to eat, the government will pay for it. And I don't even have to feel guilty because I pay taxes to cover that. I no longer have any responsibility to my fellow man thanks to the government."