PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Wookie Kills Tony the Tiger

HonestChieffan
06-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Government in your cereal bowl. We will tell you what to eat. When to eat. While Michelle eats ribs and fries.
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44343

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/frosted-flakes.jpg
(Human Events) — Tony the Tiger, some NASCAR drivers and cookie-selling Girl Scouts will be out of a job unless grocery manufacturers agree to reinvent a vast array of their products to satisfy the Obama administration’s food police.

Either retool the recipes to contain certain levels of sugar, sodium and fats, or no more advertising and marketing to tots and teenagers, say several federal regulatory agencies.

The same goes for restaurants.

It’s not just the usual suspected foods that are being targeted, such a thin mint cookies sold by scouts or M&Ms and Snickers, which sponsor cars in the Sprint Cup, but pretty much everything on a restaurant menu.

Although the intent of the guidelines is to combat childhood obesity, foods that are low in calories, fat, and some considered healthy foods, are also targets, including hot breakfast cereals such as oatmeal, pretzels, popcorn, nuts, yogurt, wheat bread, bagels, diet drinks, fruit juice, tea, bottled water, milk and sherbet.

Food industries are in an uproar over the proposal written by the Federal Trade Commission, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“The most disturbing aspect of this interagency working group is, after it imposes multibillions of dollars in restrictions on the food industry, there is no evidence of any impact on the scourge of childhood obesity,” said Dan Jaffe, executive vice president of the Association of National Advertisers.

vailpass
06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I would hate it if obama and that sasquatch he breeds with were abducted by aliens tonight, never to be seen again. Really.

Bwana
06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Hope and Change! LMAO

Discuss Thrower
06-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Because most kids between 3 and 18 are the ones buying groceries.

Brock
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
See you in the town square tomorrow morning for mandatory calisthenics, citizen!

Jenson71
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Because most kids between 3 and 18 are the ones buying groceries.

So you think the administration's food advertising will be pointless and ineffective?

I think there must be something to it. If kids 3-18 didn't have some influence, then why would there be advertising directed towards them?

Brock
06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
This kind of shit really pisses me off. Nosey cock suckers.

bowener
06-21-2011, 07:34 PM
The Left is just trying to meet the Right in the middle... afterall RW's are the ones placing bans on nude strip clubs and telling grown men what they can and can't look at/spend their money on.

LiveSteam
06-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I would like to drowned Michelle in a bowl of me lucky charms.

HonestChieffan
06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
So you think the administration's food advertising will be pointless and ineffective?

I think there must be something to it. If kids 3-18 didn't have some influence, then why would there be advertising directed towards them?

WUT? The administrations food advertising? WTF does that have to do with telling Kellogg's how to make Frosted Flakes and where they can advertise it? You support government telling marketers of products they can't advertise to a target market?

mlyonsd
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
WUT? The administrations food advertising? WTF does that have to do with telling Kellogg's how to make Frosted Flakes and where they can advertise it? You support government telling marketers of products they can't advertise to a target market?Kellogg's is the new Phillip Morris. Duh. I thought that was obvious.

Reaper16
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I have no problem with warning labels on sugarfied junk food. There are lots of dumbass parents who don't realize that they are dooming their children to a life of terrible health.

HonestChieffan
06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
"If the food is not reformulated, no more ads or promotions on TV, radio, in print, on websites, as well as other digital advertising such as e-mail and text messaging, packaging, and point-of-purchase displays and other in-store marketing tools; product placement in movies, videos, video games, contests, sweepstakes, character licensing and toy branding; sponsorship of events including sport teams and individual athletes; and, philanthropic activity tied to branding opportunities."

This is good....

"Although the intent of the guidelines is to combat childhood obesity, foods that are low in calories, fat, and some considered healthy foods, are also targets, including hot breakfast cereals such as oatmeal, pretzels, popcorn, nuts, yogurt, wheat bread, bagels, diet drinks, fruit juice, tea, bottled water, milk and sherbet."

How do you reformulate Oatmeal? It's oats smashed flat. Or steamed, the smashed. Or cracked, nor smashed. Popcorn. Its kernels of corn. Nuts. Lets get those almond trees to change the nuts. You too peanut. Oh, walnut, you too.

While Michelle grows her ass another ax handle wide, we get this crap from the government.

Brock
06-21-2011, 08:05 PM
I have no problem with warning labels on sugarfied junk food. There are lots of dumbass parents who don't realize that they are dooming their children to a life of terrible health.

Meh. I grew up on that stuff.

orange
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I can't help but notice - nobody's said a word about the Frosted Flakes box. Hmmm. Here are more:

http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/rice+krispies+box.jpg

http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Froot_Loops.jpg

The result of the last great "Obama going to kill the food industry" CP scare. And no one even notices.

Oh, the humanity!

CoMoChief
06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Mmmm Cinnamon Toast Crunch

HonestChieffan
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I can't help but notice - nobody's said a word about the Frosted Flakes box. Hmmm. Here are more:

http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/rice+krispies+box.jpg

http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Froot_Loops.jpg

The result of the last great "Obama going to kill the food industry" CP scare. And no one even notices.

Oh, the humanity!

Once again, the whole point eludes you.

LiveSteam
06-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Captain Crunch.

FD
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
How has everyone in this thread missed the fact that this proposal is for guidelines that would be completely VOLUNTARY? Doesn't that seem relevant?

Brock
06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
How has everyone in this thread missed the fact that this proposal is for guidelines that would be completely VOLUNTARY? Doesn't that seem relevant?

Either retool the recipes to contain certain levels of sugar, sodium and fats, or no more advertising and marketing to tots and teenagers, say several federal regulatory agencies.

Yeah, a totally free will kinda thing, man.

stonedstooge
06-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah, a totally free will kinda thing, man.

Made an offer they couldn't refuse

HonestChieffan
06-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Nothing that involves 4 agencies and sets of rules are voluntary. Voluntary stuff does not have defined "consequences" for failure to comply.

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
No more marketing to tots and teenagers? Oh no...wait. I don't give a fuck

Discuss Thrower
06-21-2011, 10:55 PM

It can have all the influence in the world.

Shouldn't matter if parents actually tried to do, you know, their fucking job in making responsible choices about what their health.

orange
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0910/cereal_cinn_toast_nv_1102.jpg

And there it is again. Looks like Obama didn't kill the Cap'n, either.

SNR
06-21-2011, 11:12 PM
My mom never bought my sister and me sugar cereals. I can remember my first grade teacher creating classroom polls for us to conduct. One of the questions was "What do you usually have for breakfast?" All the cool kids ate Frosted Flakes, Sugar Smacks, Froot Loops, and Count Chocula. Next to Raisin Bran there was one vote. And that was mine.

I swore that if/when I had kids I would let them eat all the sugar cereal they want to. But now if I have to feed them this new and improved crap, I don't even want to bother following up on my promise I made to myself. I may as well give them Fiber One. It's better tasting.

lostcause
06-22-2011, 12:15 AM
“The Interagency working group recommends that the food industry, through voluntary self-regulatory efforts, make significant improvements in the nutritional quality of foods marketed to children and adolescents ages 2 to 17 years,” the proposal says.

I'm trying to see how this is legislation.

lostcause
06-22-2011, 12:20 AM
"honest chief fan, I recommend you find a life beyond skimming conservative web sites to find entertaining, yet overly biased to the point of misleading articles to post on Chiefs Planet 24/7."

While the above may be a good suggestion, much like improving the nutritional quality of children's cereal, it is obvisously not mandated, nor will it be heeded. Thus it is hard to see how the wookie killed tony the tiger.

redsurfer11
06-22-2011, 05:16 AM

How many Federal agencies to watch over it? Soon the only cereal product you'll be able to buy is Obama O's.

stevieray
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
get a life, orange.

orange
06-22-2011, 10:26 AM
get a life, orange.

http://www.laughparty.com/funny-pictures/Angry-Orangutan-961.jpg

vailpass
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
get a life, orange.

Apparently he has and this is it.
Schilling for that step-and-fetch puppet of the DNC and his America hating bitch.

patteeu
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
The Left is just trying to meet the Right in the middle... afterall RW's are the ones placing bans on nude strip clubs and telling grown men what they can and can't look at/spend their money on.

Maybe so, but if you had to choose which form of nanny-state was more offensive, the food police or the stripper police, which would you choose? I don't approve of much of the morality enforcement favored by social conservatives, but I find the intrusions of the left into almost everything else to be far worse.

Iowanian
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.laughparty.com/funny-pictures/Angry-Orangutan-961.jpg

Someone should drop a deuce on your face.

The Mad Crapper
06-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Someone should drop a deuce on your face.

Obama does every night.

orange loves it.

VAChief
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I see DC is classy as usual tonight.

The Mad Crapper
06-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I see DC is classy as usual tonight.

Is Trent Green going to grace us with his presence tonight?

alpha_omega
06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
... foods that are being targeted, such a thin mint cookies sold by scouts

Obama hates girl scouts.

Huffmeister
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I hate Big Cereal.

Seriously, Frosted Mini Wheats are where it's at. Screw those big brillo pad shaped regular sized wheat bars.

Bewbies
06-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Tony the Tiger is dead and someone needs to poop on the orangutan that's flipping me off. I love this place. LMAO

Baby Lee
06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
“The Interagency working group recommends that the food industry, through voluntary self-regulatory efforts, make significant improvements in the nutritional quality of foods marketed to children and adolescents ages 2 to 17 years,” the proposal says.

I'm trying to see how this is legislation.

“When regulators strongly suggest a course of action, it’s treated as a rule, not a suggestion,” said Scott Faber, vice president of federal affairs for the Grocery Manufacturers Association. “Industry tends to heed these suggestions from our regulators, and this administration has made it clear they are willing to regulate if we don’t implement their proposal.”

Saul Good
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM

Yep. And those same stupid parents that don't know that junk food is bad for kids will suddenly see the light. Hallelujah

Baby Lee
06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.ftc.gov/os/2011/04/110428foodmarketproposedguide.pdf

Actual proposal

For those with the time and interest.

stevieray
06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Yep. And those same stupid parents that don't know that junk food is bad for kids will suddenly see the light. Hallelujah

...while being parented by a government who is convinced if they tell you enough times that you're too stupid to figure it out on your own, you'll eventually believe it.

listopencil
06-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Captain Crunch.

Oh fuck, that shit is like crack, I can't keep it in my house. It's just too good.