PDA

View Full Version : Football Why not release each team's NFL season on DVD?

Direckshun
06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Would it not be cheap to make?

Would it not make a killing off the diehard fans?

Would it not provide the fans a valuable resource for appreciating and learning about their teams?

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 05:56 PM
I've always wondered about this. It seems stupid not to.

Bewbies
06-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Would it not be cheap to make?

Would it not make a killing off the diehard fans?

Would it not provide the fans a valuable resource for appreciating and learning about their teams?

It makes too much sense.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
would it not be $100 I'd spend elsewhere? cuz I can and do watch the season here;

http://www.kcchiefsgames.com/

Guru
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
As cool as it would be, I know I would never pay the premium they would ask for it. Are we talking complete games or just a quick 2 hour recap of the season?

Direckshun
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
would it not be $100 I'd spend elsewhere? cuz I can and do watch the season here;

http://www.kcchiefsgames.com/

That website's a great service, if you have the computer for it.

If you don't, a $50 replay of all 17 games (plus preseason? Super Bowl? Pro Bowl?) would be a deal.

Plus you can't fastforward or skip entire quarters.

Brock
06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Playoff teams maybe.

BossChief
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
The NFL charges for that service on their website.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
You'd need 32 different DVD collections that would mostly only sell regionally, and the buyers would be a very small subset of fans, plus teams having bad years would probably not sell very well at all. Who'd want to buy the Lions 0-16 season, for example?

Now, find a way to offer the "all 22" game film online with some functionality and interactivity, and you might see some people pony up for that.

Ace Gunner
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM

If you don't, a $50 replay of all 17 games (plus preseason? Super Bowl? Pro Bowl?) would be a deal.

you can do those functions once the stream is fully loaded, but I get what you're saying. I just don't think there's a big market for the DVD SET kind of thing. even the ones they do for champ teams don't fly off the shelves. one thing I would pay for would be a stream site of NFL FILMS stuff. his stuff is at least a different level of entertainment. I always enjoy watching that stuff, especially the real old stuff. the corny stuff ppl did back when ... nowadays, the only way anything is funny is at somebody else's expense

Bump
06-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I bet it has something to do with the TV networks and greed.

Guru
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
The NFL charges for that service on their website.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform

19.99 for all of 2010 in the offseason isn't bad at all if you like going back to view all those games.

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd only buy it if I got a free team towel and a football phone, (with cord).

loochy
06-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Boy, you are just full of sunshine today, aren't you?

Greed this, greed that, money corrupt blah blah.

Did something happen to you recently?

CoMoChief
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM

WTF doesn't have a computer?

Valiant
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
It makes too much sense.

No one would want nfl channel then.. Well more then now..

Valiant
06-21-2011, 08:04 PM
You'd need 32 different DVD collections that would mostly only sell regionally, and the buyers would be a very small subset of fans, plus teams having bad years would probably not sell very well at all. Who'd want to buy the Lions 0-16 season, for example?

Now, find a way to offer the "all 22" game film online with some functionality and interactivity, and you might see some people pony up for that.

Big whoop.. It is not like they have to send them to stores.. They could make the sets online only and only make them when they are wanted.. Hell they are probably already sitting somewhere in disc format..

Al Bundy
06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Big whoop.. It is not like they have to send them to stores.. They could make the sets online only and only make them when they are wanted.. Hell they are probably already sitting somewhere in disc format..

I imagine NFL Films has most of it not every complete game since they start filming sitting somewhere.

Fish
06-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Exactly.... Fox owns the rights to one game, ABC the other, ESPN another... getting them all to agree on licensing would be impossible...

Brock
06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Exactly.... Fox owns the rights to one game, ABC the other, ESPN another... getting them all to agree on licensing would be impossible...

I don't think broadcast rights are the same thing as reproduction rights. Just a guess. ?

prhom
06-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I don't think broadcast rights are the same thing as reproduction rights. Just a guess. ?

I think you're right about that. At the end of each game they always say something to the effect of "This game is the property of the NFL and broadcast or reproduction without it's consent is prohibited". I think that's why the weekly replay games during the season are only shown on NFL network. I'm pretty sure it's the NFL that owns the rights to game footage. If that is the case, then it wouldn't make much sense for the NFL to sell games that people could watch over and over without getting any ad revenue from them. The big money in sports is advertising on TV. I'll bet the NFL network could replay only the "good" games (read: only games that involve big TV market teams) from the previous season and make more money than selling DVDs of each team's games for $100 each.

Mojo Jojo
06-22-2011, 04:00 AM
Wrong...FOX, CBS, NBC, NFL Network and NFL Films all have different deals...each team could have 5 different distribution issues to deal with. While the owners have the rights they sell them to different outlets. It could be an issue in the next round of broadcast rights, but each outlet is staggered for renewal...keeps the price up. There are all sorts of Intellectual Property issues also involved. This would be in court for years.

58kcfan89
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I imagine NFL Films has most of it not every complete game since they start filming sitting somewhere.

Mount Laurel, NJ to be exact. And if I remember correctly, they've got every NFL game since the merger, plus every championship game since '56 (I think) and plenty of games in between. They've also got footage (supposedly) shot by Thomas Edison from the late 1800s of a college game in their gigantic film vault.

As far as the season thing goes, someone hit on it earlier with the costs being as high as they are plus it being a regional thing. NFL Films does 30 minute season highlights for every team every year (plus everything else they do...) and they usually aren't done with them until early or mid-summer. That said, it'd probably take someone even longer to go through every game and clean up the network logos (because I'm sure there'd be a bunch of legal crap involved with taking them out) and sponsorships and whatever, not to mention the distribution costs & whatnot.

The All 22 footage was a nice suggestion, but they'll need to get higher quality video for it to sell to anyone, much less hardcore football fans, as it's tough to even see the ball (much less figure out which player is which), even with an HDTV. And as has been mentioned, I don't know that there would be that big of a market for it. It's fun to watch if you're a big football nerd (spent my summer last year doing so), but I don't know that I'd pay that much to watch it.