PDA

View Full Version : Life It's dead.

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
It's dead.

Gone.

I just heard that Johnny's Smoke Stack, my college-years mecca and the best barbecue place on the planet, is closed. I don't know what happened. I don't know why it happened. All I know is that barbecue will never be the same again.

I weep for the unborn generations who will never taste the sweet tang of the beef brisket sandwich. I am wracked with pain that I didn't get to go there one last time to say goodbye, and to feel its touch upon my lips.

People, hear my words. Go to your favorite barbecue place now. Go to it, and order a beef brisket sandwich, and tell it that you love it. Because you never know when it could be gone forever.

Buck
06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Phew. For a second I thought this thread was about the Apricot BMW.

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
This is sad and fucked up.

Bowser
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
No, you have to say it properly - "It's dead, Jim".

RIP Johnny's. I imagine for me it would be like if the Gladstone Bowl ever closed, and I could never get another of their artery clogging burgers ever again.

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
It takes a while for those ovens to cool down...there's time

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I will never eat barbecue again without tears in my eyes.

JD10367
06-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Nothing gold can stay, Ponyboy.

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Is it possible that this is God's way of telling me to eat more vegetables?

I can't believe this is happening. It's like a bad dream, but I'm awake.

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe it is a dream.

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Maybe it is a dream.

I can only hope. But I can't imagine a part of my brain that would be cruel enough to inflict this upon me.

"Beef brisket sandwich, please. With fries and a Dr. Pepper."

I will never say those words again.

JD10367
06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Felt the same way about a Chinese restaurant I'd been going to for over 20 years, just outside Kenmore Square in Boston. The place had the most amazing Schezuan food. Hot and sour soup was incredible, anything with a sauce was incredible (best garlic sauce, best Schezuan sauce, best orange sauce, etc.,.). Peking ravioli were to die for. Tangerine crispy beef, General Gao's chicken, whatever. This place was so good that you actually saw a lot of Asians eating there. Then, after over 20 years, they decide they want to give up the business and spend more time with their families. Selfish bastards.

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:47 PM
You should do a text. Get a pencil and stab yourself in the eye and twist. Get it in there deep.

If you're dreaming you'll float into the air while exhaling helium out of your ass and brisket will fly by your hands, just out of reach. Then giant boobied women will start dragging you to their cloud of hot steamy sex.

If you're not dreaming then you fucked up, man. Go to a doctor.

bowener
06-21-2011, 10:53 PM
You should do a text. Get a pencil and stab yourself in the eye and twist. Get it in there deep.

If you're dreaming you'll float into the air while exhaling helium out of your ass and brisket will fly by your hands, just out of reach. Then giant boobied women will start dragging you to their cloud of hot steamy sex.

If you're not dreaming then you fucked up, man. Go to a doctor.

Did you mistakenly think you were dreaming with that whole shotgun incident?

KurtCobain
06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Did you mistakenly think you were dreaming with that whole shotgun incident?

I opened my eyes and a big red guy with horns told me I fucked up.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Felt the same way about a Chinese restaurant I'd been going to for over 20 years, just outside Kenmore Square in Boston. The place had the most amazing Schezuan food. Hot and sour soup was incredible, anything with a sauce was incredible (best garlic sauce, best Schezuan sauce, best orange sauce, etc.,.). Peking ravioli were to die for. Tangerine crispy beef, General Gao's chicken, whatever. This place was so good that you actually saw a lot of Asians eating there. Then, after over 20 years, they decide they want to give up the business and spend more time with their families. Selfish bastards.

For me, it's been 4 places like that:

Golden Palace in Chinatown

Cafe Budapest by the Copley Square Hotel

Captain Leo's Fish and Chips in Fall River

McCray's Fried Clam Shack in Westport

bowener
06-22-2011, 12:04 AM
I opened my eyes and a big red guy with horns told me I fucked up.

But now you're here, so all is good...

Stewie
06-22-2011, 06:50 AM
I remember when my favorite pizza joint closed its doors. We hung out there in our HS and college days. They had the best pizza ever and there's been nothing I've found that even comes close. I feel your pain Rain Man.

kepp
06-22-2011, 06:53 AM

RIP Johnny's. I imagine for me it would be like if the Gladstone Bowl ever closed, and I could never get another of their artery clogging burgers ever again.

It must be a thing with bowling alleys making awesome burgers. I grew up in a small town and the bowling alley there made the best burgers ever. Maybe it was because I was 12 and had been riding my bike around all day, but whatever.

Groves
06-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Rolla may not recover.

You best take an early flight out and see if you can buy it up, Rain Man. If you need a business partner let me know.

How fat would we get if we OWNED a BBQ joint? I don't do that run across america thing like you do, so maybe I'd be the only fat one. I can handle that.

rageeumr
06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
I never really liked Johnny's that much. Of course it wasn't open at 2 AM, either.

Gonzo
06-22-2011, 09:51 AM
A BBQ joint by my house closed down recently. I hadn't been there in a while but now that it's gone, I'm pissed.

They had beer so fricken cold that ice would form inside the mug, they head great brisket and pork sammiches, featherbones that actually had meat on them and the best cornbread in the world.

Fucking famous daves ran them out. Fuck you, famous dave. Your ribs suck balls.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
did a Wal-Mart recently move in and take out all of the small businesses?

Rain Man
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Rolla may not recover.

You best take an early flight out and see if you can buy it up, Rain Man. If you need a business partner let me know.

How fat would we get if we OWNED a BBQ joint? I don't do that run across america thing like you do, so maybe I'd be the only fat one. I can handle that.

Hmm, whether we buy it or not, do you think they'd sell us their secret recipe?

Groves
06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Hmm, whether we buy it or not, do you think they'd sell us their secret recipe?

It's worth a shot. I'll straight up exchange the Maid-Rite recipe for theirs. Deal.

Rain Man
06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
It's worth a shot. I'll straight up exchange the Maid-Rite recipe for theirs. Deal.

Y'know, I never got the whole Maid-Rite thing. It was quite popular, but I could never dissociate it with the sloppy joes that were served in the high school cafeteria. If I wanted a burger-type thing I'd go anywhere else. I only went to Maid-Rite if my parents were paying for it.

Groves
06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Y'know, I never got the whole Maid-Rite thing.

Here's the "secret recipe".

Ground beef, steamed until powdery.
Cheapest buns you can find.
Some colorful condiments.
Make everyone wait just a bit too long, so they feel like they're getting real americana food.

I do like their fries, I admit.

I tried the joint a few years back, seeing if it was as good as I remembered.

It wasn't. Shoulda gone to the smokestack while I still had the chance.

patteeu
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I didn't like Johnny's Smoke Stack that much (sauce was too sweet for me), but I'm sorry for your loss.

Valiant
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Hays will always be there.

burt
06-23-2011, 06:38 AM
While I never considered it a mecca, It WAS very good barbeque that was inexpensive...... it will be missed.