PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Digital camera advice please

RedNeckRaider
06-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I am wanting to buy a digital camera and have not a clue where to start. I have been checking out the Nikon D5100. I would like something along that line. It is a bit too pricey and exceeds my budget and ability. I would like a camera that can take some cool photos with some decent zoom capability without breaking the bank for something that is at best going to be a hobby~

Iowanian
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm in the same market.

I'm looking at the Nikon and Cannon stuff. My range is 500-1k and I want a quality camera for mostly family type and activity pics....Kids, T-ball type stuff.

If I'm adding 1 lens, which one?

Bwana
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I have this one, along with an extra lens or two :) and love it.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_xsi_ef_s_18_55is_kit

Otter
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
First thing you need to do is ask yourself what you'll be taking pictures of. That right there will help determine what you need.

I spent a grand on a professional camera a couple years ago. Setting up the camera for each particular shot was a pain in the ass and usually when I wanted to take a picture there was a short window that didn't allow for setup so the pic came out like shit.

I have one of these now http://alturl.com/x37kt and I shit you not 99% of my photos come out better looking than with $1000 professional camera.

Don't make things more complicated than you need to because it will come back to bite you in the ass.

rtmike
06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
All of the family's are Olympus.

Anything over 4-5 megapixels only benefits printing over 8.5 x 11.

Saul Good
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
It doesn't matter what you buy. It will be obsolete as soon as this thing hits the market. Holy shit!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110622/tc_digitaltrends/lytrothecamerathatcouldchangephotographyforever

Dave Lane
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I highly recommend the SBIG STX-16803, its really the camera of the future with ethernet, USB and firewire connections. Its 16 MP monochrome and the price has finally dropped to under $15k

You can use adaptive optics and a remote guiding head and with filters still be under $20,000. Great ccd camera.

Oh wait wrong board :)

Dartgod
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I got the Nikon D3100 for Christmas last year and just recently bought a 55-300 zoom lens for it. I'm very happy with both purchases.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+D3100+14.2-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+-+Black/1222817.p?id=1218237704411&skuId=1222817

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+AF-S+DX+Nikkor+55-300mm+f/4.5-5.6+VR+Zoom+Lens+for+Nikon+SLR+Cameras/1230528.p?id=1218239171002&skuId=1230528

btlook1
06-23-2011, 02:18 AM
We purchase a Nikon D5000 with the extra I think 300mm lens or something like that. WE are very happy with our purchase and would recommend it to others. Software is ok not great but works. If I was doing it over again I would get a bigger zoom lens to start with. Just my 2cents.

Virtua Chief
06-23-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm a Canon guy and I shoot a lot of video mostly (7D) and I heard that Nikon D5100 is gangbangers. Canon Rebel T3i is awesome looking as well.
For a smaller cam, those highend Canon's like the G12 are awesome too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Predarat
06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I have always have good luck with Cannon, and they seem to have a good range from beginner to advanced.

Dartgod
06-23-2011, 06:12 AM
A lot of opinions in this thread, but I don't think you can go wrong with any mid-level Canon or Nikon camera. $1,000 should get you a decent camera and lens, plus a good telephoto zoom lens.

ReynardMuldrake
06-23-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm in the same market.

I'm looking at the Nikon and Cannon stuff. My range is 500-1k and I want a quality camera for mostly family type and activity pics....Kids, T-ball type stuff.

If I'm adding 1 lens, which one?

If you only buy one lens, get a 50mm prime.

DaKCMan AP
06-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Very happy with my Nikon D5000. I have an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens.

I bought it right before I went to Israel. Some of the pictures I took are here:
Starting post #320 - raw images (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221953&highlight=photo+geek&page=11)

Starting post #369 - post-processed images (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221953&highlight=photo+geek&page=13)

Trench
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
If you're looking at a DSLR (which seems to be what you're looking at), keep in mind that there's a multiplication factor associated with it that will change the effective length of most lenses you use. Most of the cheaper DSLRs will turn a 50mm lens into something more like a 75mm lens. So while a 50mm lens is considered "normal" on a standard SLR, it's going to be longer on your consumer-level digital. There are some lenses (Canon's EFs line, I think, for example) that are designed for DSLRs and will deliver something close to their stated focal length.

Personally, I'm a Canon guy, but I've used Nikon too, and you can't really go wrong with either one. For Canon, the Rebel line is the consumer line. The 60D is their current prosumer body, I think. Good luck.

RedNeckRaider
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
First thing you need to do is ask yourself what you'll be taking pictures of. That right there will help determine what you need.

I spent a grand on a professional camera a couple years ago. Setting up the camera for each particular shot was a pain in the ass and usually when I wanted to take a picture there was a short window that didn't allow for setup so the pic came out like shit.

I have one of these now http://alturl.com/x37kt and I shit you not 99% of my photos come out better looking than with $1000 professional camera.

Don't make things more complicated than you need to because it will come back to bite you in the ass.
This is what I am worried about. I want a cool camera with some decent zoom capability. I do not want a camera that requires a pros knowledge to operate. I will mainly use it for family videos and pictures. I also plan on taking random shots on vacations and road trips. Thanks for all the advice~

Ace Gunner
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM

good advice. something like that and a decent quality wide angle attachment lens, pretty much point & shoot away

Ace Gunner
06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
This is what I am worried about. I want a cool camera with some decent zoom capability. I do not want a camera that requires a pros knowledge to operate. I will mainly use it for family videos and pictures. I also plan on taking random shots on vacations and road trips. Thanks for all the advice~

I'd suggest you use the camera for stills and get a HD video camera. I have one of these I like;

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&authuser=0&cp=7&gs_id=26&xhr=t&q=sony+hdr-cx160&qe=c29ueSBoZA&qesig=Ij2VOE9IYHb4Ply2DksxOw&pkc=AFgZ2tnEWoZQ0FJM_pWp1KFRk50c0KmTNMUoYEl-EtEd1NibJAa77y263qo8V6VVDVyJUQ5MeIZBusqkzd0pwLFO71Z5sLTbEA&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1195&bih=594&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16436565574848274721&sa=X&ei=y2UDTsTIBIyasAOh0NzoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA

and again, I have a wide angle lens that I attached, it pretty much stays on the camera all the time

Demonpenz
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
someone must be busy cosmic bowling

RedNeckRaider
06-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Well I settled on a beginners camera. It has everthing I want and is easy to use. If I start getting serious I will move up to a big boy camera later. It is a Cannon SX130IS. Serious photographer's will most likely roll their eyes at it but for my skill set it is great. It takes great pictures and has pretty good zoom~

Otter
06-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Well I settled on a beginners camera. It has everthing I want and is easy to use. If I start getting serious I will move up to a big boy camera later. It is a Cannon SX130IS. Serious photographer's will most likely roll their eyes at it but for my skill set it is great. It takes great pictures and has pretty good zoom~

Don't feel bad for a point and shoot, their what you want unless you got Zach skills and they've made huge strides in the last couple years.

When you're a Raiders game and 9mm's are flying past your ears because Tamba just snapped your QB's spine and some ex-con starts letting shit fly you won't have time to adjust for low light and moving picture. You're gonna want that fools pic on the run son!

RedNeckRaider
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Don't feel bad for a point and shoot, their what you want unless you got Zach skills and they've made huge strides in the last couple years.

When you're a Raiders game and 9mm's are flying past your ears because Tamba just snapped your QB's spine and some ex-con starts letting shit fly you won't have time to adjust for low light and moving picture. You're gonna want that fools pic on the run son!

LMAO asshole~

Bump
06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
don't buy a samsung, those things are shit

|Zach|
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
There is a strange purgatory when it comes to camera spending between the $500 and oh...about $1400 range in my opinion. Because an investment in a DSLR means more than the camera it is getting the lenses. If you aren't gonna drop that higher number (or more) more your return on investment can get iffy.

The cool thing is point and shoots are getting awesome...absolutely awesome. Lots of good value to be had.

|Zach|
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM

This is absolutely good advice.

|Zach|
06-25-2011, 04:52 PM
It is sort of funny. I don't focus a whole lot on selling individual photos most of my business is from projects or my services but 2 of the 3 highest paying single photo licensing deals have been from shots taken with a point and shoot.

If the shot is there the shot is there.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Ok the Cannon Power Shot SX130IS is a fun little camera, but once again I am looking for advice to step up to the next level. When trying to take pictures of the grandchild or a sporting event, I have found it incredibly difficult to capture "the shot". It has a very slow lag between shots. I most often miss the shot that caught my eye. This camera is great for still shots, but is not so great for movement shots.

I am looking into buying a rapid fire camera, to compensate for my lack of ability. I have found that I delete 70 to 80% the pictures I take in movement situations. I am looking at a Sony Alpha a35 16.2MP DSLR Camera with included 18–55mm zoom lens and an extra 55–200mm telephoto zoom lens. Has anyone used this camera? I have read great, and not so great reviews. The not so great reviews seemed to be from pro's who carry 2k worth of gear~

blazzin311
06-03-2012, 06:58 AM
I've got the Cannon 7D and let me tell you this thing is a fricken beast! It should more than fit anything you're going to use it for should you choose to get one. Can't say enough good things about it really, you can't go wrong there.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=canon+7d&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=aCW&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvnsr&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=669&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18127173202209546038&sa=X&ei=4F7LT6DeLKbm0QGI__R8&ved=0CK8BEMIVMAA

Ace Gunner
06-03-2012, 07:22 AM

good advice.

the one thing I can add is that DSLR's are slow between frames because the mirror has to flip up out of the way internally. the result is poor "sequential capture" where, say you are shooting a band or sports or action stuff.

I have a couple cheapo cameras I like, but when I want rapid sequence ability I use a sony a77. I use it for action shots and it is an amazingly fast shooting camera with xlnt quality.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I've got the Cannon 7D and let me tell you this thing is a fricken beast! It should more than fit anything you're going to use it for should you choose to get one. Can't say enough good things about it really, you can't go wrong there.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=canon+7d&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=aCW&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvnsr&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=669&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18127173202209546038&sa=X&ei=4F7LT6DeLKbm0QGI__R8&ved=0CK8BEMIVMAA

I actually looked at that camera. It is a little out of my price range, and ability. I just took an interest in this last year. I have never taken classes, and fall into the Andy Amateur category. I know enough to know how little I know of the hobby. I never intend to get real serious. The reviews I have read speak highly of your camera. In fact one of the people who wrote a review for the Sony I am looking at said it was a pretty good camera, but did not come close to stacking up to her Cannon 7D~

oldman
06-03-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm a semi-pro (not my full time job, but I make money at it), so take what what you will from this post.
For less than $1K, you can get the Canon T3i, a couple goods lenses, and some better memory cards. For clarity and motion, it's all about the glass. While some of the 3rd party lenses out there are fine, most aren't, so stay with the EF line if you go Canon. You'll also want to look at the cache size of the camera. If you're shooting a lot of motion, you'll want something that will let you take 3-5 fps. About the card. You can get the cheap ones for next to nothing, but look at the speed. You'll want to stay away from the low end ones and go for ones that will empty your camera cache quickly. I use Sandisk Extremes.
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the processing. I'd recommend you also invest $250 and buy Adobe Lightroom. It will allow you to quickly review your shots and do some very cool editing. It allows you to sharpen, reduce noise, crop, and even change the WB easily. If you have students at home (or are in the teaching profession), Adobe offers special editions of both PS and Lightroom at greatly reduced prices.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm a semi-pro (not my full time job, but I make money at it), so take what what you will from this post.
For less than $1K, you can get the Canon T3i, a couple goods lenses, and some better memory cards. For clarity and motion, it's all about the glass. While some of the 3rd party lenses out there are fine, most aren't, so stay with the EF line if you go Canon. You'll also want to look at the cache size of the camera. If you're shooting a lot of motion, you'll want something that will let you take 3-5 fps. About the card. You can get the cheap ones for next to nothing, but look at the speed. You'll want to stay away from the low end ones and go for ones that will empty your camera cache quickly. I use Sandisk Extremes.
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the processing. I'd recommend you also invest $250 and buy Adobe Lightroom. It will allow you to quickly review your shots and do some very cool editing. It allows you to sharpen, reduce noise, crop, and even change the WB easily. If you have students at home (or are in the teaching profession), Adobe offers special editions of both PS and Lightroom at greatly reduced prices.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I will take you up on that~

Oz_Chief
06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I photograph a lot. The vast majority of what I do is crime scene work, but I also like to take some pictures for fun.

Nowadays I think the fixed lens/bridge cameras are just as good as the DSLRs. Personally, I use a Fuji for work stuff. I use an HS-20 that has been modified to capture near infrared. I have also used the IS-1 extensively. The new Fuji is the XS-1 and I hear that it is awesome. I have a little Canon for my "carry around in my pocket" camera. I think I spent $150 dollars on it and it does a fine job for spontaneous photography. I like Canon and Fuji because of they manner in which they organize their settings. It just makes sense to me.

This might upset some people, but you do not need a DSLR to take great photographs. Look into bridge cameras where you can purchase filters rather than other lenses. I use 4 filters: cut filter (for normal color), infrared, orange, and deep yellow. The orange and deep yellow are for shooting with blue or purple light and a long shutter speed (15- 20 seconds).

Good luck!

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I photograph a lot. The vast majority of what I do is crime scene work, but I also like to take some pictures for fun.

Nowadays I think the fixed lens/bridge cameras are just as good as the DSLRs. Personally, I use a Fuji for work stuff. I use an HS-20 that has been modified to capture near infrared. I have also used the IS-1 extensively. The new Fuji is the XS-1 and I hear that it is awesome. I have a little Canon for my "carry around in my pocket" camera. I think I spent $150 dollars on it and it does a fine job for spontaneous photography. I like Canon and Fuji because of they manner in which they organize their settings. It just makes sense to me.

This might upset some people, but you do not need a DSLR to take great photographs. Look into bridge cameras where you can purchase filters rather than other lenses. I use 4 filters: cut filter (for normal color), infrared, orange, and deep yellow. The orange and deep yellow are for shooting with blue or purple light and a long shutter speed (15- 20 seconds).

Good luck!

Crime scene huh, there was a missed Raiders joke in there somewhere :) I am looking for a major frames per second upgrade~

oldman
06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I will take you up on that~

Sent you a response back. Let me know if you have further questions.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Sent you a response back. Let me know if you have further questions.

I got back with you. There are a couple people here that are pretty sharp about cameras. They are way above my head. There is one guy on here that I know does this for a living, our relationship here has been less than great. He took the time to give some advice to me. I appreciate you taking the time to dumb it down for me~

oldman
06-03-2012, 11:37 AM
pas de problème

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2012, 11:58 AM
bought a Nikon D3100 off Cameta camera a couple of weeks ago. They have factory refurbs with 1 yr warranty for $419 for the body, an 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200 telephoto lens. That's a great deal. Mine had a shutter count of 35 (meaning it had taken 35 photos) and they are rated for 100k.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
bought a Nikon D3100 off Cameta camera a couple of weeks ago. They have factory refurbs with 1 yr warranty for $419 for the body, an 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200 telephoto lens. That's a great deal. Mine had a shutter count of 35 (meaning it had taken 35 photos) and they are rated for 100k.

100k or 1k? :) I am going to do the work, as I out grew the first $400,00 camera fairly quickly~

mikeyis4dcats.
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
100k or 1k? :) I am going to do the work, as I out grew the first $400,00 camera fairly quickly~

Pawnmower
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
My personal opinion is to go with a really nice point & shoot. I would not recommend and SLR for you at this point...

Basically you want a really nice P&S with the largest optical zoom possible...

For example:

in a $400 range, something like this is pretty nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ40-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003WJR694/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1338748165&sr=1-6

A very versatile and powerful camera and a wide range of zoom options built in.

RedNeckRaider
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
My personal opinion is to go with a really nice point & shoot. I would not recommend and SLR for you at this point...

Basically you want a really nice P&S with the largest optical zoom possible...

For example:

in a $400 range, something like this is pretty nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ40-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003WJR694/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1338748165&sr=1-6

A very versatile and powerful camera and a wide range of zoom options built in.

I already have a Cannon SX130IS Power Shot~

RedNeckRaider
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Lol I ended up getting the Nikon D5100, the first camera I looked into. My daughter is happy because I gave her my Cannon SX30IS. I am only 300 hundred shots or so in and love it. I wish I would have started with it to begin with~

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Lol I ended up getting the Nikon D5100, the first camera I looked into. My daughter is happy because I gave her my Cannon SX30IS. I am only 300 hundred shots or so in and love it. I wish I would have started with it to begin with~

don't know what you paid but...

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Demo-62311.cfm

RedNeckRaider
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
don't know what you paid but...

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Demo-62311.cfm

New in the box, 18-55 lens, 55-200 lens, carrying case, 24gb high speed memory card for just shy $900 tax included~

Pawnmower
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
New in the box, 18-55 lens, 55-200 lens, carrying case, 24gb high speed memory card for just shy $900 tax included~

/drool

RedNeckRaider
06-05-2012, 03:03 PM
/drool

Wait until I am smart enough to use it properly lol~

Dartgod
06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Wait until I am smart enough to use it properly lol~

{insert raiderfan joke}

RedNeckRaider
06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
{insert raiderfan joke}

I swear to god Sonny never set up Cher as often as I do you guys :banghead:

vailpass
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Glad you are happy with your camera RNR.

Question for the group: my wife wants to move into a DSLR. She hasn't owned one before. My criteria for purchase are relative user friendliness for n00bs, then features/quality.

I just started looking, am comparing the Nikon D3100 to the Nikon D5100.

Any opinion on either of these for a n00b, or any other DSLR?

Thanks.

oldman
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Groovy, stay with the Nikor lenses then. BTW, make sure you get some Class 10 cards. Storage doesn't matter a whole lot. I've shot hundreds of pics in RAW mode and have never filled an 8 Gb card. For your new one, that's about 425 if you shoot RAW + large JPEG. You can pick them up for less than $10 each on Amazon.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
class 6 is sufficient for most video and all photos, so don't worry about upgrading if you already have class 6 cards.

I got a 64gb class 10 SXHC card a couple of weeks ago for $40 though.

RedNeckRaider
06-06-2012, 04:19 AM

Question for the group: my wife wants to move into a DSLR. She hasn't owned one before. My criteria for purchase are relative user friendliness for n00bs, then features/quality.

Thanks.

I would get the D5100, once she figures out the 3100 she will regret not buying the 5100~

|Zach|
06-06-2012, 04:26 AM

Quite a deal.

|Zach|
06-06-2012, 04:27 AM

Thanks.

A DSLR is like a jump from one side of the river to another. On the non DSLR side it is really easy for noobs. On the DSLR side it isn't.

That isn't to discourage the purchase. The learning curve isn't so great she couldn't enjoy it but once you cross over the "ease of use" factor is very similar because the modes you shoot in are pretty standard.

oldman
06-06-2012, 06:20 AM

Thanks.

I shoot a Canon, but Nikon is a fine line as well. I'd echo RNR's thoughts about the D5100. I'll give you the same advice I gave him. Go to a real camera store and try both. See what feels good in her hands. I'd recommend the T3i from Canon to compare. Unless you're doing a lot of crazy stuff, most of the functions and modes are easy to pick up. The other stuff--that's what you have a manual for.

RedNeckRaider
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks.
They are intermediate level. They are designed for someone who is fairly serious about the hobby and people like oldman who earn some money on the side. The next step up would be for someone like Zach who makes a living with a camera. It is a whole different skill, knowledge and price range. If she is just wanting to take great shots with some cool options, the a point and shoot is the answer. For $400,00 or less (much less) depending on what she wants, you can buy some amazing cameras, that will more than suffice for the casual photographer.

If you do go with a camera similar to mine, than I would suggest moving up to the D5100 over the D3100 in the case of a Nikon. As oldman has already said, have her play around with some different cameras. Do some research, read real reviews from users, and companies that rate them with no bias. If you do decide to get even a camera like mine be prepared to spend over $1000,00 by the time you get the basic accessories, tripod, backup batteries, high speed memory cards, additional lenses ect. It will provide countless memories and hours of entertainment. All things considered, I find it a great investment. Have fun~