PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NBA vs. NFL

Direckshun
06-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Your average football team from 2011 is bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than your average football team from 1991.

It's not even freaking close.

Yet I'd say the size, strength, speed, and athleticism in professional basketball has remained pretty much consistent, even dropping off periodically, over the past 30 years.

What happened? Why are football players getting bigger and faster, but not basketball players?

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2011, 06:49 AM
The best athletes have always been in basketball.

Now some of them are migrating to football because the game is becoming more wide open.

whoman69
06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
What surprises me is how few real centers there are in the league anymore. Zone defenses and match up zones are making it harder to get the ball in the low post. Points are scored by outside shots and drives to the basket.

There is more competition from an increasing number of revenue sports. Basketball is making the difference from Europe.

Much of the difference from football is from year round training and pound packing during college. The big hulking 300 lb guys have to drop weight when they retire or get a heart attack. Its really not healthy what they are doing.

BigCatDaddy
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Now some of them are migrating to football because the game is becoming more wide open.

That really doesn't explain the increase in the size of lineman though. I believe in 85 Perry was the only guy in the league over 300lbs.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I believe in 85 Perry was the only guy in the league over 300lbs.

Whats funny is, when you watch those old highlights of Perry now, he looks pretty slim compared to alot of guys today.

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2011, 09:31 AM
That really doesn't explain the increase in the size of lineman though. I believe in 85 Perry was the only guy in the league over 300lbs.

Well, that has nothing to do with other sports, and more to do with the evolution of the game of football. And probably the 70s Steelers.

BigCatDaddy
06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, that has nothing to do with other sports, and more to do with the evolution of the game of football. And probably the 70s Steelers.

It has more to do with a tainted food supply and increasing the amount of food all people now consume. It's bigger, no pun intended, then just football.

I would also argue basketball players have increased in speed and athletism as well. It's just being big and fat isn't a desired attribute in basketball.

suds79
06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I think in football there's a benefit for guys to get thicker and bigger and add more lbs.

Basketball I don't necessarily see that.

Take the center position. You have a 7 footer who's say 260. Is it really going to benefit him much more to be 300? At that height it's hard enough for those guys to just run and move without tripping over themselves. I don't think the added weight would help.

Mr. Laz
06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
NFL players are getting 'fatter' and NBA players don't want to get fat

getting fatter can be effected by environmental factors not just genetics

i imagine if you just look at height the size of the two leagues have grown comparably.

Detoxing
06-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Basketball requires players to be a certain size. There isn't as much range there for athletes. They need to be quick and lanky. If they get too big and pack on too much muscle, that could severely alter their cardio. Also, a lot of that cardio probably keeps some of these guys from packing on a ton of muscle.

Now even though the players have remained the same size, I highly doubt that the athleticism has remained the same.

You can be more athletic w/o being bigger.

Pitt Gorilla
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I would also argue basketball players have increased in speed and athletism as well. It's just being big and fat isn't a desired attribute in basketball.I would too. I don't care for LeBron, but I'm not sure I've seen a better athlete in the NBA.

Garcia Bronco
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Your average football team from 2011 is bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than your average football team from 1991.

Disagree. Slightly bigger...but if they are that much bigger...they might not be faster...further...I'd put up the 1990 9ers against most teams today and I'd think they'd win hands down playing with 1990 rules.

Brock
06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Disagree. Slightly bigger...but if they are that much bigger...they might not be faster...further...I'd put up the 1990 9ers against most teams today and I'd think they'd win hands down playing with 1990 rules.

If so, it would only be because of incredible depth.

DJJasonp
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM

You are kidding, right?

Larry Bird, one of the greatest to ever play the game, is widely known as one of the least athletic sports figures ever.

He wasnt strong, wasnt fast, couldnt jump for squat....

There's plenty of directions that this discussion go, but the best combination of strength, speed, and hand-eye coordination belongs to football players (with hockey players being second).

If you want to discuss the most difficult, athletic skills......I think you have to consider hitting a 95mph fastball/80mph curveballl as the most difficult skill to master.

Garcia Bronco
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
If so, it would only be because of incredible depth.

who today is better than Jerry Rice, Marcus Wiley, Bill Romo, Joe Montana, Charles Haley, Brent Jones, Matt Millen, Ronnie Lott and so on? Very few.

Chief Chief
06-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Check out MLB: Used to have a couple of guys in the late 90's suddenly breaking home run records left and right. Nowadays, nuthin' even close to that. WTF, man?

Garcia Bronco
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Check out MLB: Used to have a couple of guys in the late 90's suddenly breaking home run records left and right. Nowadays, nuthin' even close to that. WTF, man?

They were juicing.

Even the so called best team of the 2000's NFL got caught cheating.

Count Alex's Losses
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
There's plenty of directions that this discussion go, but the best combination of strength, speed, and hand-eye coordination belongs to football players (with hockey players being second).

Not overall and certainly not at the top end.

Bird is an exception.

Bambi
06-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Steroids help in football,

they don't in basketball.

Plus football doesn't take much skill save a few positions. The point is to get bigger, stronger, and faster.

Basketball is really hard to play if you have no skills.

Brock
06-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Steroids help in football,

they don't in basketball.

LOL