PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Honest Question

Chocolate Hog
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Today NPR talked about John Huntsman being a contender. This is the same guy who polls 1% and supports global warming. Mitt Romney is a contender because of his polling numbers but why isn't he looked at as fringe? He supports things like abortion, gun control, and bailouts.

Simplex3
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Nobody could tell you for sure other than the NPR guy. Could be wishful thinking on getting a weak Republican candidate (not that I believe Huntsman is), could be that he's going out on a crazy limb in the hopes that a year from now he can point back and say "see, I'm brilliant!".

Chocolate Hog
06-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Nobody could tell you for sure other than the NPR guy. Could be wishful thinking on getting a weak Republican candidate (not that I believe Huntsman is), could be that he's going out on a crazy limb in the hopes that a year from now he can point back and say "see, I'm brilliant!".

This isn't just the NPR guy saying it.

HonestChieffan
06-24-2011, 07:49 PM
In a word, no. Huntsman aint a contender.

The Mad Crapper
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Remember how the media played up McAmnesty?

Yeah, well this time it's not working.

Bewbies
06-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Huntsman isn't a contender. Although Obama and his friends at NPR really wish he was.

alnorth
06-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Today NPR talked about John Huntsman being a contender. This is the same guy who polls 1% and supports global warming. Mitt Romney is a contender because of his polling numbers but why isn't he looked at as fringe? He supports things like abortion, gun control, and bailouts.

Mitt Romney is not fringe, because in a few days when the reporting deadline passes, he will completely and utterly blow everyone else away in fundraising. That, and he's strong in the polls.

I hope Rick Perry jumps in and grabs the nomination, but if he stays out too much longer, its either Romney or Obama. Everyone else is either a boring dud or a lunatic who doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Barack.

Chocolate Hog
06-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Mitt Romney is not fringe, because in a few days when the reporting deadline passes, he will completely and utterly blow everyone else away in fundraising. That, and he's strong in the polls.

I hope Rick Perry jumps in and grabs the nomination, but if he stays out too much longer, its either Romney or Obama. Everyone else is either a boring dud or a lunatic who doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Barack.

Mitt Romneys ideas are fringe.

Saul Good
06-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Mitt Romneys ideas are fringe.

Which ideas are those?

http://www.ontheissues.org/mitt_romney.htm

FD
06-25-2011, 04:03 PM
He's not very well known, but I think he is seen as a contender because his credentials are strong: successful in business, very successful conservative governor, and more foreign policy experience than anyone else. He is also seen as a natural political talent by people who follow him.

He is fairly moderate, at least on a couple issues, and the media always loves the moderate Republican in the primaries. Realistically, if he were to be nominated the fawning media coverage would quickly stop and he would be portrayed as a right-wing extremist.

Saul Good
06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
He's not very well known, but I think he is seen as a contender because his credentials are strong: successful in business, very successful conservative governor, and more foreign policy experience than anyone else. He is also seen as a natural political talent by people who follow him.

He is fairly moderate, at least on a couple issues, and the media always loves the moderate Republican in the primaries. Realistically, if he were to be nominated the fawning media coverage would quickly stop and he would be portrayed as a right-wing extremist.

Are we talking about McCain?

chiefforlife
06-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Republicans have no one, they are handing a second term to Obama. The party is lost right now and therefor has no leadership.

Bewbies
06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Republicans have no one, they are handing a second term to Obama. The party is lost right now and therefor has no leadership.

If the election were held today Obama would lose to every single R on the ticket right now. The economy is so bad he's got to hope for a miracle in the next 15 months.

alnorth
06-26-2011, 03:16 PM
If the election were held today Obama would lose to every single R on the ticket right now. The economy is so bad he's got to hope for a miracle in the next 15 months.

well, setting aside the fact that Obama beats every republican in the polls, except for Romney.

Obama loses to a generic unnamed republican, but once he or she is named, most of the current candidates will bring about a "a God, not that republican" reaction.

GWB has proven that an unpopular president who should lose wont lose to just any republican/democrat, if you nominate an unelectable dud, the president will likely win re-election.

chiefforlife
06-26-2011, 03:23 PM

If you believe that, you havent been paying attention. Getting Osama Bin Laden did wonders for his re-election bid.
Right now, none of those Republicans could even come close to beating him.

alnorth
06-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Hell, you only have to go back to November. Reid should have lost, and would have been blown out by any good, boring, or even just a merely semi-insane candidate. Instead the NV GOP nominated a completely bat-shit insane candidate who figured out a way with her hilarious retardery to lose to Harry freakin Reid.

Bachmann would be Sharon Angle v 2.0 on a national basis.

chiefforlife
06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Hell, you only have to go back to November. Reid should have lost, and would have been blown out by any good, boring, or even just a merely semi-insane candidate. Instead the NV GOP nominated a completely bat-shit insane candidate who figured out a way with her hilarious retardery to lose to Harry freakin Reid.

Bachmann would be Sharon Angle v 2.0 on a national basis.

A perfect example, NO ONE likes Harry Reid and yet...