PDA

View Full Version : News Don Lapre busted

PunkinDrublic
06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
The "King of Infomercials" may have pitched his last product.

U.S. Marshals arrested Don Lapre last night in Tempe, Ariz., after he failed to appear in court on fraud charges linked to his vitamin business.

Earlier this month, Lapre, of Phoenix, was indicted by a federal grand jury, which charged that his business, Greatest Vitamin in the World, signed up 226,794 people and promised them money for selling vitamins and recruiting others to the business. In the end, prosecutors say, investors and customers spent nearly $51.8 million, but received just $6.4 million in commissions. Between 2004 and 2007, they say, Lapre himself took in at least $2.2 million from the business.

The self-proclaimed infomercial king was charged with 41 counts of conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud, promotional money laundering and transactional money laundering. He has acknowledged that he "did not have the perfect company," but denied breaking the law.

Earlier, U.S. Marshals had circulated a wanted poster describing Lapre as suffering from anxiety and depression, and as possibly suicidal.

Don was pretty damned pursuasive in 90s. Sixteen year old Punkindrublic was dumb enough to buy a making money package back in the day. Needless to say I never made my millions placing tiny little ads in newspapers across the country.

stonedstooge
06-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds like we should put him in Congress

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I re-started my business in a tiny 8x10 prison cell.

Easy 6
06-24-2011, 11:20 PM
What the **** is wrong with people today, what is there not to understand about 'Greatest Vitamin in the World?'

milkman
06-24-2011, 11:25 PM
What the **** is wrong with people today, what is there not to understand about 'Greatest Vitamin in the World?'

I can't say that I don't understand it.

I can say, however, that I've never heard of it, or Don Lapre.

Easy 6
06-24-2011, 11:32 PM

Its funny, i havent heard that guys name in probably 5 years, he was like an even greasier Tony Robbins on coke. He was all over tv for a while, a wannabe Bernie Madoff.

ForeverChiefs58
06-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Remember this guy
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mubCkCAEiDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

''I found tiny classified ads that made $30 to $40 dollars profit in a week and I placed those ads in around a thousand other newspapers around the country.
'That's how I generated over $50,000 a week out of my one bedroom apartment'

milkman
06-25-2011, 11:20 AM
No, I don't.

Over-Head
06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Remember this guy
'

I do now

Fish
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Remember this guy
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mubCkCAEiDQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

''I found tiny classified ads that made $30 to $40 dollars profit in a week and I placed those ads in around a thousand other newspapers around the country.

Why wouldn't you take financial advice from a millionaire money guru living in a one bedroom apartment? Do you hate money or something?

Over-Head
06-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I still have my responce I got in the mail once.
Told my mother I was gonna be rich at the age of 14 by sending $2.00 in a self addresed envelope to some dude in this add in the paper.
He guaranteed me the secret of his success.
Mom went along with it, telling me I was wasting my cash bla bla bla.

Well, talk about a surprise when I DID get it returned a couple of weeks later. I opened it up beaming in surprise untill I read his hand written letter on a piece of loose leaf

Here was his secret:

Dear Jeff

Go find 499,999 other people to send you $2.00 in a self addressed stamped envelope just like I did, and you'll have your first miliion too.

ForeverChiefs58
06-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Remember this guy
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mubCkCAEiDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

never take financial advice from someone in a bugs bunny shirt. It is a subliminal message telling you he is looney tunes.

PunkinDrublic
10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
TV pitchman Donald Lapre dies in apparent suicide in federal custody
Oct. 2, 2011, 11:52 PM EST

PHOENIX (AP) -- A U.S. Marshals Service spokesman says a Phoenix-based TV pitchman charged with running a nationwide scheme to sell essentially worthless Internet-based businesses has died in an apparent suicide while in federal custody.

Spokesman Matt Hershey says Donald Lapre was found dead in his cell at a Florence facility Sunday morning. His trial was scheduled to begin Tuesday.

Hershey says the death remains under investigation.

A grand jury indicted Lapre in June on 41 counts of conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud and promotional money laundering. He was accused of overseeing and promoting the opportunity through his company called "The Greatest Vitamin in the World."

The government says at least 220,000 victims in the scheme were defrauded of nearly $52 million.

Lapre's death was first reported by Fox 10 News in Phoenix.

PunkinDrublic
10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
His funeral announcement should be placed in tiny little classified ads in newspapers across the country.

Crush
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
His funeral announcement should be placed in tiny little classified ads in newspapers across the country.

Which will generate $30 to $40 profit.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
New heard of or seen the guy before. Some king.

MahiMike
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I remember this guy now. Fascinating life.

Gonzo
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Him AND Billy Mays? Slap-chop guy better watch his ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I am going to need a blowflex and a flobie to get in shape for his funeral