PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs rookies finding it difficult to launch their NFL careers

Tribal Warfare
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Chiefs rookies finding it difficult to launch their NFL careers (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/24/2973801/chiefs-rookies-finding-it-difficult.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Like the other Chiefs rookies, Jonathan Baldwin and Rodney Hudson have yet to take the field in any kind of official capacity because of the ongoing NFL lockout.

Nonetheless, they’re doing what they can to become part of the community. Baldwin and Hudson, the Chiefs two top draft picks, were both in Joplin this week as part of the team’s relief effort to help the tornado-torn town.

Shane Bannon, the Chiefs’ seventh-round pick, also went to Joplin.

“I’m trying to help out the (best) I can,” said Baldwin, a wide receiver who was making his second visit to Joplin. He and quarterback Matt Cassel also made a trip shortly after last month’s tornado. “A lot of people down here need some help.”

Contributing in a football sense has been much more difficult. The Chiefs have been unable to hold any of their usual offseason practice sessions because of the lockout.

Baldwin has been in Kansas City for some sporadic throwing sessions with Cassel. He and Hudson were in town for last week’s three-day player-run minicamp.

“We can’t really do anything right now, so we’re just doing it on our own,” Baldwin said. “We’re just trying to stay as sharp as we can until the lockout is over. I’ve been working out, running all the routes we need to run, staying in great shape. So when the lockout is over, and they tell us it’s time to go, I’ll be ready to go.

“(The player minicamp) was the first time I got to be out there with the majority of the guys. It definitely means a lot, communication with the other receivers, the quarterbacks, everybody. It felt good to get out there with my new teammates.”

Hudson, an offensive lineman, said the minicamp and the trip to Joplin were his only involvement with the Chiefs since he was drafted two months ago. Otherwise, he said he’s been working out in Tallahassee, where he played in college at Florida State.

“I’ve missed being around my (new) teammates,” he said. “That’s important, getting to know your teammates. I can’t say I’ll be ready when training camp starts because I don’t know what’s in front of me.”

The Chiefs need both Baldwin and Hudson ready whenever camp begins. The Chiefs drafted for need with both picks. They have no obvious starter at wide receiver other than Dwayne Bowe, meaning the other spot is there for Baldwin’s taking.

The Chiefs would similarly like Hudson to be their starting center.

“You’ve got to make the best out of what time you’re given,” said Hudson, who was speaking for himself but could have been talking for Baldwin as well. “I’m trying to work out, stay in shape and do the best I can.”

milkman
06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
This might be Teicher's most insightful article ever.

I mean, who'da guessed that making the transition from college to the NFL would be more difficult when there's a lockout?

Count Alex's Losses
06-25-2011, 11:38 AM
It'll be interesting to see what effect the lockout has on NFL rookies as a whole.

BigMeatballDave
06-25-2011, 11:38 AM
LMAO

BigMeatballDave
06-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Teicher actually gets paid for this.

cabletech94
06-25-2011, 12:02 PM
oh yea, that's right. lock-out bad for rooks. worse than a holdout imho.
didn't FAX call teicher eagle-eye? classic FAX.

Okie_Apparition
06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I just think it will be an injury plagued year across the board