PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Carr makes all-underrated team (defense)

ChiefGator
06-26-2011, 06:54 AM
A little Chiefs news... not sure if we are supposed to post that in this lounge anymore.. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Higher-Education-The-all-underrated-team-defen?urn=nfl-wp2907

The little bit about Carr:

Cornerbacks -- Ron Bartell(notes), St. Louis Rams/Brandon Carr(notes), Kansas City Chiefs

According to STATS, Inc's data, only five cornerbacks with 50 or more targets had a lower Burn Percentage (completions allowed) than Bartell's 45% (45 out of an even 100). Those five cornerbacks happened to be Darrelle Revis(notes), Stanford Routt(notes), Antonio Cromartie(notes), Tramon Williams(notes), and . Brandon Carr.

One of the reasons that the Chiefs were the AFC's surprise team last year was that their secondary really stepped up. Carr was the forgotten man as everyone started talking about Brandon Flowers(notes) and Eric Berry(notes), but per those numbers (and only sometimes covering the other team's #1 receiver, it must be said), Carr was the most effective man in that defensive backfield.

Bartell was Mr. Unlucky in one department. Effective as he was against the pass and the run (per FO's metrics, he was the Rams' best run-stopping cornerback as well), he didn't get a single pick in 2010 just 12 deflected passes. Carr had Bartell beat, there 24 deflections and just one pick. Moral: When you're looking at cornerbacks, don't let interceptions be your ultimate guide when it comes to effectiveness.

CosmicPal
06-26-2011, 07:07 AM
I believe this secondary is/will be better than the secondary we had with Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, and Dale Carter.

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2011, 07:11 AM
There are actually some morons here that don't think Carr is very good.

SNR
06-26-2011, 08:24 AM
There are actually some morons here that don't think Carr is very good.Defensive backs are worthless and expendable. The price of a new contract is irrelevant; it's simply not worth re-signing a mediocre guy who would be a 3rd/4th corner on a real championship team /haterz

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Defensive backs are worthless and expendable. The price of a new contract is irrelevant; it's simply not worth re-signing a mediocre guy who would be a 3rd/4th corner on a real championship team /haterzWE SHOULD HAVE KEPT POLLARD!

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-26-2011, 08:27 AM
There are actually some morons here that don't think Carr is very good.

He allowed a TD that one time. Fraud!!!

gblowfish
06-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I believe this secondary is/will be better than the secondary we had with Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, and Dale Carter.

Those guys only played together on one team, 1993.

Actually, two best Chiefs secondary lineups were:

Cherry, Burruss, Ross, Lewis
and
Marsalis, Thomas, Kearney, Robinson.

Okie_Apparition
06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
The Chiefs need to fill his tank & the price at the pump is only rising

ChiefGator
06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Those guys only played together on one team, 1993.

Actually, two best Chiefs secondary lineups were:

and
Marsalis, Thomas, Kearney, Robinson.

Heck, I thought Hasty, Carter, Tongue, and Woods were putty good... Again, that lineup didn't last all that many years, but Hasty brought some nastiness with him.

milkman
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Heck, I thought Hasty, Carter, Tongue, and Woods were putty good... Again, that lineup didn't last all that many years, but Hasty brought some nastiness with him.

They were pretty good.

But the two groups that George mentioned are among the best secondary groups of all time.

RedThat
06-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Throughout their history, the Chiefs have always been pretty fortunate to have good secondaries. Thats a positive to see.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2011, 09:50 AM

yea......the Chiefs really wasted some good defenses in the 80's.....our offense was horrible for the most part.

BossChief
06-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Next year will essentially be a contract year for him as well. We tendered him as a first rounder as his actual contract ended after last year but we will have his rights for at least another year. I'd love to see the CBA finalized with teams having rights for 5 years, though.

I bet Carr has a lot of picks next year with the team upgrading their pass rush talent and that being the next natural step in his maturation as a player coupled with a career year. I just hope he doesnt get burned more by going for the picks instead of just playing solid ball as he has.

milkman
06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Next year will essentially be a contract year for him as well. We tendered him as a first rounder as his actual contract ended after last year but we will have his rights for at least another year. I'd love to see the CBA finalized with teams having rights for 5 years, though.

I bet Carr has a lot of picks next year with the team upgrading their pass rush talent and that being the next natural step in his maturation as a player coupled with a career year. I just hope he doesnt get burned more by going for the picks instead of just playing solid ball as he has.

My guess is that the players will get UFA after their 4th year as a concession for giving up a little money in the revenue sharing agreement in this CBA when it's finally worked out.

As for Carr, the one area of his game he needs to improve on is ball skills.

He's becoming a lock down corner, but he has stone hands, which is why he is underrated, and will continue to be so, unless he improves his ball skills.

Phobia
06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I think some people are neglecting to mention Mark McMillan.

milkman
06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I think some people are neglecting to mention Mark McMillan.

He's pretty easy to overlook.

BigMeatballDave
06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
He's pretty easy to overlook.Stop being so short-sighted.

BossChief
06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
He didnt really even learn how to identify when the ball was in the air to get his head turned (in man coverage) until about the midway point of last year and when he started to do it with consistency, he started shuting down receivers.

He has the speed, hips, instincts and now experience to grow into the next step of improving his ball skills.

I bet that will/has been a focus for him because to this point he has grown by leaps and bounds over the guy that started right away in 2008.

If he has been putting in the work with jugs machines, he has a chance to blossom into a top five corner next year.

Milk, as a cornerback tandem, where would you rank Flowers and Carr at this point with other corner tandems we have had in KC over time?

milkman
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Stop being so short-sighted.

Can't help it.

McMidget and I can see eye to eye.

I like players that I can look up to.

He didnt really even learn how to identify when the ball was in the air to get his head turned (in man coverage) until about the midway point of last year and when he started to do it with consistency, he started shuting down receivers.

He has the speed, hips, instincts and now experience to grow into the next step of improving his ball skills.

I bet that will/has been a focus for him because to this point he has grown by leaps and bounds over the guy that started right away in 2008.

If he has been putting in the work with jugs machines, he has a chance to blossom into a top five corner next year.

Milk, as a cornerback tandem, where would you rank Flowers and Carr at this point with other corner tandems we have had in KC over time?

Right now, I'd say they have the feel of a young Lewis and Ross.

lcarus
06-26-2011, 11:47 AM
My guess is that the players will get UFA after their 4th year as a concession for giving up a little money in the revenue sharing agreement in this CBA when it's finally worked out.

As for Carr, the one area of his game he needs to improve on is ball skills.

He's becoming a lock down corner, but he has stone hands, which is why he is underrated, and will continue to be so, unless he improves his ball skills.

So Carr was the one that dropped about 9 easy INTs last season? I forgot about that. The year before I really didn't think Carr was all that good but 2010 proved me wrong. He was excellent for the most part. Gotta catch those picks though! I'd love for Pioli to keep Carr, Flowers, Berry, and Lewis together.

ChiefGator
06-26-2011, 11:52 AM
So Carr was the one that dropped about 9 easy INTs last season? I forgot about that. The year before I really didn't think Carr was all that good but 2010 proved me wrong. He was excellent for the most part. Gotta catch those picks though! I'd love for Pioli to keep Carr, Flowers, Berry, and Lewis together.

Carr has always been "right there" with the receiver, but he made great strides in turning his head around and finding the ball last year. Still didn't make the interceptions, but those aren't everything... and they will come with more experience.

Kudos to Emmitt Thomas.. he really did a phenomenal job with Carr last year.

Reaper16
06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
That's because you are stupid.

Rudy lost the toss
06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Im just glad Carr got over the Orton nightmares. Still waiting for his NFL Draft profile. Dammit Carl!

suzzer99
06-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Couldn't be more excited about our secondary going forward. I really hope we do what it takes to keep them together. I was around for Lewis/Ross/Cherry/Burruss and I never thought I'd see us with a chance to eclipse that.

DeezNutz
06-26-2011, 02:29 PM
We need to dig up the posts from the Denver game, when Mike Touchdown Brown's suck caused some anger to be directed toward Carr.

JohnnyV13
06-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey,

If Derrick Johnson caught only half of the balls that hit him in the hands last season, he would have made the pro bowl.

If Johnson could start catching the ball, he would be quickly recognized as the best coverage linebacker in the league.

Rudy lost the toss
06-26-2011, 03:23 PM
We need to dig up the posts from the Denver game, when Mike Touchdown Brown's suck caused some anger to be directed toward Carr.

His 1st game against Denver this year was worse

CrazyHorse
06-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Couldn't be more excited about our secondary going forward. I really hope we do what it takes to keep them together. I was around for Lewis/Ross/Cherry/Burruss and I never thought I'd see us with a chance to eclipse that.

Didn't we have Woods- Tongue - Hasty-Carter at one time? And don't forget mighty mouse. We were like +48 in TOs back then. It was sick. Awesome secondary in those days iirc.

suzzer99
06-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Woods, Tongue, Hasty and Carter were the second best I've seen. Albert Lewis would go entire seasons w/o getting burned for a TD. He really should be in the HOF. He's just getting screwed because he went to the Raiders and no one will take up his cause.