PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Sacramento Bee: Let's Face it, the NFL is Life.

CosmicPal
06-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Interesting article about us Chiefs fans:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/25/3727497/lets-face-it-the-nfl-is-life.html

Let's face it, the NFL is life

By SAM MELLINGER
McClatchy Newspapers
Published: Saturday, Jun. 25, 2011 - 1:00 am
Last Modified: Saturday, Jun. 25, 2011 - 10:04 pm

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dear Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith and all the rest of you:

Don't mess with us. These insinuations and hints and anonymous sources saying you're close to ending this NFL lockout and making the season come off on time are cool to hear and all, but you better not be playing us.

Get something done, anything. Finish it now, because this is real. These are our lives you're fooling with, the happy moments we Kansas City football fans have come to love, tomahawk chopping at Arrowhead Stadium or Boulevard beer and beautiful high-definition at home.

The lives you're threatening to force upon us are grainy black-and-white by comparison.

Is that pathetic? Probably. But we've thought about what it will be without the NFL on Sundays, and it's not pretty. Hopefully our mothers don't judge us for that, but, oh heck, who are we kidding?

Most of our mothers feel the same way.

You have an unfair amount of power over us, like some evil combination of ex-girlfriend, current boss, and future wife. We can't quit you. Run out of gas and we have a bad day. Catch the significant other cheating and it's a bad week. But rob us of football and you've ruined our entire fall.

Especially here in Kansas City. Training camp is now a short drive up the highway. The Chiefs no longer stink, finally, with a newly renovated stadium and stars on both sides of the ball.

And now you're threatening to take it away from us?

"It would be DEPRESSING," is how Dan Deeble put it in an e-mail, and you might be interested to know that Dan is the head pastor at Heartland Community Church.

The key here is to be honest with ourselves. Right, guys? You're all rich. More than that, actually. You're all wealthy . Roger, that $1 salary you took when the lockout started is a good PR move, but really it just reminded us you make about $10 million. DeMaurice, you're a millionaire a few times over, too.

We're not questioning your dedication to the cause here, don't get us wrong. It's just that if this thing doesn't get settled, we imagine you'll be disappointed but also on an island somewhere while we're stuck at the cousins' without the distraction of football.

"Gosh, I don't know what I'd do without football," says Chiefs linebacker Andy Studebaker. "I'd probably go to church. That's something I haven't been able to do on Sundays. And I'd probably try to find some ways to help in the community."

Andy sounds like a good dude, right? We could sit here and tell you we'll do the same things, that Operation Breakthrough or Big Brothers Big Sisters would get a bump in volunteers if you're not there for us on Sundays, but, well, let's stick with honesty.

The truth is: Kansas City won't be a whole lot of fun this fall without the NFL. If that makes us boring, or without perspective, whatever. We can only be us.

There are ministers around town who think there will be more in the pews if the Chiefs aren't playing, but just between us, most of them will show up just to pray for football.

One of the best things about Kansas City is the smell of barbecue in the Truman Sports Complex parking lot on Sunday mornings. With no Chiefs to tailgate for, maybe we'll be eating mayonnaise sandwiches or Hot Pockets. Thanks, jerks.

Fall Sundays without the NFL mean time with family, but not the good kind. It means no fantasy football, fewer excuses to put off chores and meet up with friends, and the end of socially acceptable day-drinking on Sundays. Those waitresses at Tanner's would have to find other ways to pay for their tuition.

We hate that it's like this, honestly, and imagining life without the NFL is a bit of an uncomfortable reality check. On the one hand, maybe we should have more balance in our lives, more interests, more hobbies, more reasons to get together with friends and family and actually focus on said friends and family.

But on the other hand, what's the point of buying that gorgeous new LCD television if we can't have the fellas over for the game?

Kansas City is a lot like the rest of the country in this way, of course. The NFL is as embedded in our Sundays as church - more, for some people. Marketers sometimes make the point that from September to January, nobody in this country ever asks, "What's on TV?" on a Sunday.

Well, that goes double for Kansas City. Our interest is obsessive. Upwards of 70 percent of the televisions turned on Sunday afternoons are showing the Chiefs' game. The ratings here for Super Bowls and playoff games are often the highest in the country outside of the participating markets.

"Usually this time of year your articles and the talk is about the Chiefs," says Deron Cherry, the former star defensive back. "Considering the Royals are usually in last place, and they're back there again, people are anticipating football and what will they have now? There will be an empty hole."

Maybe you saw where Louis C.K. went on "The Tonight Show" last week and called Kansas City "a terrible place," and worse.

Those of us who love this place would like to show him the Country Club Plaza or take him for ribs at Oklahoma Joe's or an afternoon game at Kauffman Stadium, but if the Chiefs aren't playing this fall Louis' point becomes harder to argue against.

You're arguing over billions, but this means much more to us.

Sincerely,

Kansas City football fans

Count Zarth
06-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow. Mellinger wrote something worth reading.

Demonpenz
06-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Humans can adjust to some crazy ass shit. Being without the NFL is not a huge deal unless you suck and are boring.

BossChief
06-26-2011, 10:34 AM
"With no Chiefs to tailgate for, maybe we'll be eating mayonnaise sandwiches or Hot Pockets. Thanks, jerks."

ROFL

MIAdragon
06-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Humans can adjust to some crazy ass shit. Being without the NFL is not a huge deal unless you suck and are boring.

No shit, lets stroke their egos a lil more. JFC.

milkman
06-26-2011, 11:05 AM

I admit it.

I suck and am boring.

KCrockaholic
06-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Football is my life. Yeah I can live with just college football. But it wouldn't be the same. I love my Tigers. But my passion lies within the Chiefs.

Deberg_1990
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I admit it.

I suck and am boring.

Football is my life. Yeah I can live with just college football. But it wouldn't be the same. I love my Tigers. But my passion lies within the Chiefs.

heh, if there was no NFL, your lives would adjust, you would find something else to fill your time and life would go on....Humans are good like that.

But of course it would sting for awhile.....

Chocolate Hog
06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I admit it.

I suck and am boring.

We know.

milkman
06-26-2011, 11:37 AM
heh, if there was no NFL, your lives would adjust, you would find something else to fill your time and life would go on....Humans are good like that.

But of course it would sting for awhile.....

Now, you see, BP here is a real dumbass, but he was smart enough to jump on that.

You blew it.

We know.

I fully expected this.

Deberg was a disappointment.

lcarus
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I think the biggest disappointment for me personally (besides no Chiefs) would be the lack of fantasy football. My friends and family have been doing it for about 5 years now. I have back to back championships to defend! Lol, we really do have a great time with it though. Hope they sort this out soon.

Demonpenz
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Fantasy Football players are retarded. Go gamble for real.

lcarus
06-26-2011, 11:56 AM

I made 2000 bucks off of it and we had a great time at our "drafts" and playing throughout the season. So I really couldn't care less who knocks it.

Demonpenz
06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
"could care less"

MIAdragon
06-26-2011, 11:59 AM

LMAO

lcarus
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
"could care less"

Um....wrong. At least try to be right if you're gonna correct someone. It's a good way of doing things.

Count Zarth
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Imagine no NBA and no NFL this winter.

That would suck hardcore.

Demonpenz
06-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Imagine no NBA and no NFL this winter.

That would suck hardcore.

that would be good for you. 2 seasons as world champs

lcarus
06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
that would be good for you. 2 seasons as world champs

And it would save me 2 disappointments.

MIAdragon
06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Um....wrong. At least try to be right if you're gonna correct someone. It's a good way of doing things.

no he's insinuating that you could possibly care less.

lcarus
06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
no he's insinuating that you could possibly care less.

And I was insinuating that I couldn't possibly care any less.

Demonpenz
06-26-2011, 12:06 PM

I would think that you would respond at all if you couldn't possibly care less, like if someone started a thread about Condoms, I wouldn't even click on the thread. It's something that doesn't concern me or my penis.

MIAdragon
06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

I don't think he believes you. Just saying.

milkman
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I would think that you would respond at all if you couldn't possibly care less, like if someone started a thread about Condoms, I wouldn't even click on the thread. It's something that doesn't concern me or my penis.

Well, I guess we can hope that you've been snipped, then.

Okie_Apparition
06-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Interest in college football would pick up & people would do on sunday what they did on saturdays. Adapting might be fun. Who's the Mizzu QB?