PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues The American Police State is the 'New Normal'

teedubya
06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110625/us_ac/8696821_the_american_police_state_is_the_new_normal

According to The New York Times, the FBI just raided a data center in Virginia and seized many of its servers, causing websites owned by "tens of clients" to go offline -- including those belonging to people who hadn't broken a law, and were not suspected of any crime.

It may seem silly to get upset about the police taking down websites you don't use. A certain quote may come to mind, though, as we look at other ways that the police in America abuse their power.

Tasering nonviolent people to death
A 72-year-old woman named Kathryn Winkfein got tasered not too long ago after she lost her temper at the cop who pulled her over. Her offense? Shouting at him.

Luckily, she "learned her lesson" about talking back to America's authority figures. She was also awarded $40,000 in damages, which her County Constable, Richard McCain, complained was a reward for "bad behavior." Apparently putting 50,000 volts through the heart of someone's great-grandma is not bad behavior, as long as you wear a police uniform.

Winkfein was lucky. In what Digby calls the "Taser Atrocity Of The Day," a man who took groceries without having paid for them was tasered continuously for 37 seconds, after he became "aggressive and was communicating loudly." He died in the hospital.

The police officer who killed him was suspended for five days.

Stealing your cellphone (and its data)
Recordings of government workers performing their duty are, by law, in the public domain. So if you think a police officer is going to do something untoward, try filming him so you have evidence. Right?

Not so fast. Prepare to have your cellphone taken from you and stomped on. The Miami Beach, Fla., police in particular have a history of doing this, and they aren't alone. But the people who have their phones stolen and vandalized by the police are lucky; a man named Michael Allison faces up to 75 years in prison for trying to record a judge, and was arrested without any warning.

Meanwhile, the Michigan State Police is taking people's cellphones when they pull them over for traffic violations, and using "extraction" devices on the phones. The ACLU is trying to find out why they're doing that, but the police department placed a price tag of over $500,000 on their Freedom of Information request. How much justice can you afford?

Arresting nonviolent activists
Want to feed homeless people free meals in the park? Prepare to be arrested. Or how about dancing in front of the Jefferson Memorial? Prepare to get tied up and beat up.

Our country's police has a long history of suppressing nonviolent activists, and it hasn't stopped with the Civil Rights Era. Environmental activists like Tim DeChristopher are served 10-year prison sentences for civil disobedience, that harms no one but impedes oil companies' profits. Meanwhile, the FBI labels nonviolent activists as "domestic terrorists."

They were recently granted more power to go through your trash and your data, so expect things to only get worse. Actually, expect things to get worse in general. The police state is the new normal.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
NAZIs will soon be knockin on your door.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Shit is getting ridiculous. Why does the public allow it? Because they're scared, fucking, pussies who think the government can protect them from the evils of the world, and if that costs us a little freedom, so what?

BucEyedPea
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Shit is getting ridiculous. Why does the public allow it? Because they're scared, ****ing, pussies who think the government can protect them from the evils of the world, and if that costs us a little freedom, so what?

It's really gotten out of hand.

BIG_DADDY
06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Shit is getting ridiculous. Why does the public allow it? Because they're scared, ****ing, pussies who think the government can protect them from the evils of the world, and if that costs us a little freedom, so what?

Pretty much. The new generation will never understand how cool it was to be a kid when we were.

durtyrute
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again. I remember when we started seeing tasers in movies, (Men at Work is the first one I can remember). Everyone would laugh, myself included, because we like to see people get hurt, whether it's boxing, ufc, football, or whatever. Now, there is a huge increase in the number of people being tasered and everyone is like "man, that's fucked up, oh well what's coming on next". We've been desensitized (s/p)j to the point to where there has been a some kind battle going on for the majority of all of our lives and all we do is talk about it then it's on to the next thing.

The Mad Crapper
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Not trying to be antagonistic, but what are you personally doing about it?

I hear people crying about the TSA (rightfully so) but they continue to subsidize their operation by flying. If enough people stopped flying, maybe the TSA would be removed.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Shit is getting ridiculous. Why does the public allow it? Because they're scared, fucking, pussies who think the government can protect them from the evils of the world, and if that costs us a little freedom, so what?

I am certainly not one of these people that believe that government is evil and is out to destroy us. And I usually take the side of the police in most cases with that being said..

IMVHO since 9/11 our rights have slowly eroded away and the expansion of police power has taken over all in the name of "security". It started with the Bush Administration and the passing of the patriot act when the AG sat in front of Congress and said either you vote for the bill or you are with the terrorists to the current Obama Administration who is going to argue in front of the Supreme Court that they don't need a warrant to track people via GPS. Really? Really?

The Mad Crapper
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I am certainly not one of these people that believe that government is evil and is out to destroy us. And I usually take the side of the police in most cases with that being said..

IMVHO since 9/11 our rights have slowly eroded away and the expansion of police power has taken over all in the name of "security". It started with the Bush Administration and the passing of the patriot act when the AG sat in front of Congress and said either you vote for the bill or you are with the terrorists to the current Obama Administration who is going to argue in front of the Supreme Court that they don't need a warrant to track people via GPS. Really? Really?

No doubt. I said it back in 2001 after it happened that I was more than angry and dissapointed that Bush, after two federal beauracracies, the FBI and CIA, failed, his solution was to create a 3rd, Homeland Security. I was against it then, and I'm against it now. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I also hold Bush responsible for the TSA, another of his boondoggles.

And all the neo-cons (I can't believe I used that in a sentence LOL shout out to BEP) that were cheering Bush on I always told them, you think it's fine now but what if a leftist takes over? I was jeered and ridiculed.

Well, they got it now, don't they?

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
No doubt. I said it back in 2001 after it happened that I was more than angry and dissapointed that Bush, after two federal beauracracies, the FBI and CIA, failed, his solution was to create a 3rd, Homeland Security. I was against it then, and I'm against it now. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I also hold Bush responsible for the TSA, another of his boondoggles.

And all the neo-cons (I can't believe I used that in a sentence LOL shout out to BEP) that were cheering Bush on I always told them, you think it's fine now but what if a leftist takes over? I was jeered and ridiculed.

The problem was everyone was scared that we were going to be attacked again and the administration knew it and took advantage of it.

I was hoping Obama would reverse the trend but in fact he has kept and now is trying to expand the police power.

And there is no doubt in my mind the Supreme Court is to blame for a large part of the problem as they have routinely favored expansion of police power. And they will again when they rule in their favor that there doesn't have to be warrants to track somebody via GPS and it will come down to a 5-4 decision.

donkhater
06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
The problem was everyone was scared that we were going to be attacked again and the administration knew it and took advantage of it.

I was hoping Obama would reverse the trend but in fact he has kept and now is trying to expand the police power.

And there is no doubt in my mind the Supreme Court is to blame for a large part of the problem as they have routinely favored expansion of police power. And they will again when they rule in their favor that there doesn't have to be warrants to track somebody via GPS and it will come down to a 5-4 decision.

This won't be the most popular statement ever written, but I believe it to be the absolute truth:

Bin Laden won. I have no doubt he knew that attacks on US soil would trigger hysteria to the point that American freedoms would start to erode. Politicians in particular jump all over these rhetorical talking points about the need for safety when in fact they have no idea what they are talking about.

So...Trillions spent on overseas operations on the 'War on terror' and erosion of our civil liberites now built into the machine that is the federal government so that no end is in sight. Let's face it. Bin Laden may be dead, but I believe the US acted predictably and exactly as he thought it would.

durtyrute
06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

That's because they all have the same agenda and the next one will too. But, people will forget when it comes time to vote and one of the candidates, with their fancy marketing, will look like he is the one and he will be the greatest ever. But, it will just be more of the same and people will say the same thing that you just said.

On another note, did you guys know that the O'Dammit campaign won a marketing award for best ads.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 10:11 AM
And the dems have this position they stand for civil liberty. Obama ran on it. The national Recovery Act should have told us what the left will do to achieve their goals. We never learn.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
This won't be the most popular statement ever written, but I believe it to be the absolute truth:

Bin Laden won. I have no doubt he knew that attacks on US soil would trigger hysteria to the point that American freedoms would start to erode. Politicians in particular jump all over these rhetorical talking points about the need for safety when in fact they have no idea what they are talking about.

So...Trillions spent on overseas operations on the 'War on terror' and erosion of our civil liberites now built into the machine that is the federal government so that no end is in sight. Let's face it. Bin Laden may be dead, but I believe the US acted predictably and exactly as he thought it would.

I actually agree. He maybe dead and we may have decimated AQ but he changed America drastically with 9/11.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
And the dems have this position they stand for civil liberty. Obama ran on it. The national Recovery Act should have told us what the left will do to achieve their goals. We never learn.

And what do the Republicans stand for? They claim they are for small government yet they created the largest bureaucracy in American history.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
And what do the Republicans stand for? They claim they are for small government yet they created the largest bureaucracy in American history.

Does that excuse the democrats? That seems to be the answer for every single thing that this administration and the Pelosi Reed era has screwed up.

No matter what the issue, its always well hell someone else did something different.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Does that excuse the democrats? That seems to be the answer for every single thing that this administration and the Pelosi Reed era has screwed up.

No matter what the issue, its always well hell someone else did something different.

I am not excusing anything but I noticed you didn't answer the question. I stated multiple times that Obama has kept and is expanding the police power and I disagree with it.

The fact is the Bush administration created this mess and the Obama administration has continued\expanded it all in the name of "security."

donkhater
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I am not excusing anything but I noticed you didn't answer the question. I stated multiple times that Obama has kept and is expanding the police power and I disagree with it.

The fact is the Bush administration created this mess and the Obama administration has continued\expanded it all in the name of "security."

Slowly, but surely, people are waking up to the fact that the only thing that differs between the two parties is their rhetoric.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM

So you feel its ok then since Bush created it and Obama has expanded it?

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Slowly, but surely, people are waking up to the fact that the only thing that differs between the two parties is their rhetoric.

I think that is somewhat true when it comes to certain issues. When it comes to national security I am afraid we will never go back because no POTUS will want a terrorist attack to happen on his watch in fear of being branded weak if they roll back some of the policies.

So you feel its ok then since Bush created it and Obama has expanded it?

No

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I think that is somewhat true when it comes to certain issues. When it comes to national security I am afraid we will never go back because no POTUS will want a terrorist attack to happen on his watch in fear of being branded weak if they roll back some of the policies.

No

OK, since GWB is incapable of fixing the issue and since Obama is the President, can we have any expectation of him that is not countered with yea but Bush?

KILLER_CLOWN
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Ron Paul is the answer, but most can/will never see it.

durtyrute
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Ron Paul is the answer, but most can/will never see it.

I'm of the belief that whether it is Ron Paul or Ru Paul the same shit is going to happen, but that's just me so I ask you, what makes him so different?

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
OK, since GWB is incapable of fixing the issue and since Obama is the President, can we have any expectation of him that is not countered with yea but Bush?

expectation of doing what? He certainly isn't and won't change any significant national security policies because of the reason I stated to donkhater.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
expectation of doing what? He certainly isn't and won't change any significant national security policies because of the reason I stated to donkhater.

So we can't be critical or have higher expectations?

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Those weren't Republicans.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM

I hear people crying about the TSA (rightfully so) but they continue to subsidize their operation by flying. If enough people stopped flying, maybe the TSA would be removed.

What can any one person do about it? I talk to anyone who will listen. I won't fly, and it's because of TSA. Anywhere I can affect the bottom line, I will.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM

This is your finest post.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM

No one ever wants to hold their own party accountable. It's always "The other side does it too!" Or "The other side is worse!" Politicians love you all for it. They're happy to take turns being the bad guy. The agenda moves forward. Regardless of who is "in charge".

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 11:37 AM

The very second we hear some Yeah, Bush fucked us.

Chief Faithful
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM

That is why the Republicans lost their base and were tossed out. Now that Obama and gang are accelerating the growth of that largest bureaucracy in history for the last 3 years it seems strange Bush is still being blamed.

Chief Faithful
06-27-2011, 11:44 AM
The very second we hear some Yeah, Bush ****ed us.

Every conservative I know has already made that statement when it comes to spending and growing government.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Every conservative I know has already made that statement when it comes to spending and growing government.

Fair enough. I voted for Obama, and I'm fucking embarrassed to admit it. He is rivaling Bush as the worst President of my lifetime.

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Yep.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Those weren't Republicans.

The Speaker of the House isn't a Republican? I am sure he will be glad to hear that.

That is why the Republicans lost their base and were tossed out. Now that Obama and gang are accelerating the growth of that largest bureaucracy in history for the last 3 years it seems strange Bush is still being blamed.

He hasn't really accelerated it. The DHS budget their first year was $3.5 billion and the last budget of Bush they allocated $50 billion. The 2012 DHS budget is $56 billion

BucEyedPea
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM

I stopped flying. Wish I could be Peter Pan or Wendy though.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
TSA is now Unionized so it will only get worse

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Learn something new every day. They've ALREADY unionized? Disgusting.

vailpass
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
The Speaker of the House isn't a Republican? I am sure he will be glad to hear that.

Not in the true sense of the word, no. The way I was raised to think of a Republican has little in common with most of those who call themselves Republicans today.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Not in the true sense of the word, no. The way I was raised to think of a Republican has little in common with most of those who call themselves Republicans today.

I echo these sentiments.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Learn something new every day. They've ALREADY unionized? Disgusting.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/tsa-chooses-afl-cio-branch-as-its-union/

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Fuck, man. You nailed it. It's why I've become so disenfranchised with the party in the last 10 years.

Chief Faithful
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM

He hasn't really accelerated it. The DHS budget their first year was $3.5 billion and the last budget of Bush they allocated $50 billion. The 2012 DHS budget is $56 billion

I was responding to your general comment about government size and largess of bureaucracy not specifically the DHS budget. For example, nothing during Bush's tenure can come close to approaching Obamacare when it comes to growing the bureaucracy or size of government. Nothing under Bush comes close to the amount of wasteful spending as the Stimulus produced by the Democrats and signed by Obama.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM

meh. The Border Patrol and Customs have been unionized for years and I don't believe that has caused any problems.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Interesting. Was Reagan a real Republican?

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
meh. The Border Patrol and Customs have been unionized for years and I don't believe that has caused any problems.

Been through customs lately?

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I was responding to your general comment about government size and largess of bureaucracy not specifically the DHS budget. For example, nothing during Bush's tenure can come close to approaching Obamacare when it comes to growing the bureaucracy or size of government. Nothing under Bush comes close to the amount of wasteful spending as the Stimulus produced by the Democrats and signed by Obama.

I was talking about DHS outside the military is the largest department in the government. It is a monstrosity.

dirk digler
06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Been through customs lately?

Nope

vailpass
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
****, man. You nailed it. It's why I've become so disenfranchised with the party in the last 10 years.

You should hear my Dad and uncles hold forth on this subject. Dear God.

HonestChieffan
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Nope

Shipped anything through customs? Been to Customs at KCI?

Easy 6
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Shit is getting ridiculous. Why does the public allow it?

Because most people dont really know & dont wanna know.

Just throw cheeseburgers at'em, give'em some brain-numbing tv to watch & tell'em everythings fine.

durtyrute
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Just throw cheeseburgers at'em, give'em some brain-numbing tv to watch & tell'em everythings fine.

Throw cheeseburgers at em........LMAOLMAOLMAO

RNR
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8-4P1WPE-Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mad Crapper
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8-4P1WPE-Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yeah, pretty much. Don't know if I should laugh or cry.

OK, I laughed.

LMAO

RJ
06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
In Albuquerque we welcome a good tasering. It's one less person shot by APD.

Sad but true. According to local leaders our police force is in need of training.

Backwards Masking
06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Don't know how true this is or not, and I'm not meaning to offend anyone, but I heard that when you apply to become a police officer you have to take an IQ test and if you score too high you can't become one. The reason being is they don't you playing the system.

Anyone know if that's true?

blaise
06-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't know how true this is or not, and I'm not meaning to offend anyone, but I heard that when you apply to become a police officer you have to take an IQ test and if you score too high you can't become one. The reason being is they don't you playing the system.

Anyone know if that's true?

I don't know. I doubt that's true. I would believe a personality test that might show you're not a good fit.