PDA

View Full Version : Elections Voter ID Bill now before PA Senate

The Mad Crapper
06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
The Pennsylvania House of Representatives, June 23, passed, 108-88, a bill requiring most voters to present photo identification at every election.

The bill is now before the Senate.

HB 934 was introduced, March 4, by Daryl Metcalfe (R-12) and 47 co-sponsors including Steve Barrar (R) whose 160th District includes much of southwest Delaware County.

The bill requires "electors" i.e. voters to present a document issued by either the State of Pennsylvania or the United States which has a photograph of the individual to whom the document was issued along with an expiration date.

It also requires that the name of the individual to whom the document was issued conform to the name of the individual as it appears in the district register -- a point which could be an annoying surprise to many long-time voters.

http://blog.billlawrenceonline.com/2011/06/27/voter-id-bill-now-before-pa-senate.aspx

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't know if that is law in Virginia or Colorado but in 18 years of voting I have had to produce ID every time...or you don't get to vote.

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know if that is law in Virginia or Colorado but in 18 years of voting I have had to produce ID every time...or you don't get to vote.

Why would anyone have a problem with this?

Jaric
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Why would anyone have a problem with this?

Some people claim it's racist.

I still am waiting for that explaination as to how or why that would be. To me it seems like a reasonable precaution against voter fraud.

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Some people claim it's racist.

I still am waiting for that explaination as to how or why that would be. To me it seems like a reasonable precaution against voter fraud.

How far have we fallen?

Jaric
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
How far have we fallen?

The closest I've recieved to an explaination was that a long time ago we had laws with requirements designed specifically to keep black people from voting.

:shrug:

vailpass
06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh for the good old days.

Garcia Bronco
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
The closest I've recieved to an explaination was that a long time ago we had laws with requirements designed specifically to keep black people from voting.

:shrug:

Yes...this is true. 30 years after the Civil War the Democrats regained power in the South and starting barring blacks from voting using poll taxes and other forms of discrimination. These days have passed.

In another vein...between 1870 and 1902 some 30 black men served in the US House and 3-4 served in the Senate.