PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request The Church On Irish Creek - St Joseph's

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 11:48 AM
A little piece of WTI's history is being phased out by the Archdiocese in Kansas City.

All of the roots of my family in this country, from about 1840 can be traced directly to the area where this church was built. The original building and rectory were made of wood. Until more folks settled and donations brought about the building as it looks today.

The Archbishop sees it fit to close this place. There are still over 50 families that are members of this parish. To me, forcing your eldest parishioners to go elsewhere is a kick right in the teeth to the history of the area and the church, the life and Irish heritage that surrounds it.

It's one of the reasons I have a certain disdain for the church as it stands today. While I care that the church has it's legal troubles, I care more that the archdiocese is willing to cast aside it's own history. The church has always been a historical marker in society. And these people have stood by it in the most trying of times. It's sad to me that the Archbishop would see this historical marker fit for closure and ultimately, destruction.

It used to be about saving souls. But now it's about saving souls and big collection plates. [Yea, it's that personal.]

In the next post will be an image of where I used to spend summer Sunday mornings.

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Here's the photo.

Demonpenz
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
F Notre Dame

Sofa King
06-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Holy crap, that place looks awesome. They want to get rid of that????

If they did, you better buy that bitch and make yourself a castle house.

Fish
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
The giant new superchurches with the coffee and bakery outlet are the future of religion. Heritage and history can't compete with the superfluous mega church money makers.

Brock
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
That's a magnificent building. BUT, the maintenance on it is probably a nightmare.

KCUnited
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
That's a $hame.

Stewie
06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
The giant new superchurches with the coffee and bakery outlet are the future of religion. Heritage and history can't compete with the superfluous mega church money makers.

There have been two new Catholic churches and a Catholic High School built in my area in the past 10 years. All I can say is it's obscene.

A colleague of mine was on the board to build the HS and quit during construction because there was such demand for superfluous crap from the parents. What they wanted had nothing to do with educating kids, or helping others, but was nothing but a display of wealth.

Okie_Apparition
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Dave Lane
06-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Meh, the roof would be hard to open for an observatory. I guess you could put a couple scopes on the ends so maybe I will give it a double meh...

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Holy crap, that place looks awesome. They want to get rid of that????

If they did, you better buy that bitch and make yourself a castle house.

Isn't it though? Beautiful architecture. I look at that image and think of why they were built that way. It's a church and a fortress. I can imagine that all thoughout history, clans throwing rocks off the top in an attempt to ward off invaders like the Vikings. [Although the Vikings just used their superior technology of catapults to hurl stones and knock down the entire building]

Okie_Apparition
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Looks like alot of county courthouses here in BFE. Money pits

L.A. Chieffan
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
stuopid potatoe eaters, get with the times. people like their chruches like walmarts.

LiveSteam
06-27-2011, 01:14 PM
F Notre Dame

This x10

Valiant
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Why don't you all buy it?

I agree on most head church people being evil. My grandmas church is.

It is why I wish they would start taxing them. They are nothing but businesses that only help themselves for the majority.

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 01:46 PM
That's a magnificent building. BUT, the maintenance on it is probably a nightmare.

It's actually pretty reasonable. As most of the daily upkeep is done by volunteer parishioners. Actual upkeep on the structure is probably a bit pricey.

Still... The archdiocese has the money to maintain a structure this magnificent. At least I think they have the money.

Over-Head
06-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Crying shame, you'd think with all the cash the Vatican has they would help keep landmark parishes like this one open.

But I guess they need the extra cash to keep sending Cardnials and bishops to Rome, for retreats

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM

It is why I wish they would start taxing them. They are nothing but businesses that only help themselves for the majority.

Unfortunately that's been discussed. And what do you do with it? I understand the position the church is in. I really do. It's just that it sucks that it'll be torn down. Recently they tore down the building where my Dad went to school in his hometown. I managed to get a few bricks from that building.

My main goal, should the church be demolished is to get the cornerstone. No way is that going into the landfill.

Brock
06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately that's been discussed. And what do you do with it? I understand the position the church is in. I really do. It's just that it sucks that it'll be torn down. Recently they tore down the building where my Dad went to school in his hometown. I managed to get a few bricks from that building.

My main goal, should the church be demolished is to get the cornerstone. No way is that going into the landfill.

It should be considered historically significant.

Phobia
06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Most of that stone will probably be recycled. That stuff isn't cheap. You better go get it now, in the dark of night - while the priest is diddling alterboys.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Friends I have in Wales got ahold of a decommissioned church there that dates back to the 1600s. They're remodeling it and opening it up as a bed and breakfast. Beautiful building overlooking a river valley.

He said it was a pain to do the electrical wiring but those thick rock walls make great insulation for the heating/cooling. He's trying to keep it as close to the original design on the outside at least.

Dave Lane
06-27-2011, 02:30 PM

This times eleventy billion gillion. Balanced budget in one second.

pr_capone
06-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Six Flags over Jesus

Deberg_1990
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
while the priest is diddling alterboys.

Ouch

Chocolate Hog
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
You're a bad Catholic William.

Rain Man
06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Isn't it though? Beautiful architecture. I look at that image and think of why they were built that way. It's a church and a fortress. I can imagine that all thoughout history, clans throwing rocks off the top in an attempt to ward off invaders like the Vikings. [Although the Vikings just used their superior technology of catapults to hurl stones and knock down the entire building]

It will serve you well in the upcoming zombie wars if you buy it.

It's sad to see one's personal history disappear. Your church, my barbecue restaurant, it's all "progress" and we are but drops of water flowing in the river.

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
It will serve you well in the upcoming zombie wars if you buy it.

It's sad to see one's personal history disappear. Your church, my barbecue restaurant, it's all "progress" and we are but drops of water flowing in the river.

I understand the church has to make a decision. Like I said, it used to be about your soul. Now it's about revenue. That's the part that upsets me. The archdiocese has the money, they just don't care about what this church represents to the area.

And it does piss me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I know that in the long run, this doesn't deny my heritage or my love for the area. (Lillis, Wheaton, Blaine Kansas)

I think I'm realizing that, at almost 50 years old, I've lived most of my life already. Priorities change in life and seeing the area where my Dad went to school, worshipped, hunted, fished, knocked back a few cold ones becomes more important.

I dunno... Maybe I'm too sentimental.
Posted via Mobile Device