PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Feed a Homeless Person in Orlando..........Get Arrested.

durtyrute
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Apparently it's illegal to feed homeless people in Orlando now. I know some of the heartless bastards on here will say "they deserve it" or whatever stupid shit, but this is fucked up.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZDD6FtNMpNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/06/20-orlando-police-steal-food-from.html

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Anonymous is on the case.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
fuck them.

Fish
06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I have no sympathy for hobos. They're homeless because they're lazy as fuck and choose to be that way. We allow them to take from society while contributing nothing but turds and empty bottles in our local parks. I understand that people feel sorry for them. But they're nothing but parasites. They prey on your guilt, while taking that $5 you gave them to go buy booze or drugs. They don't want a normal life. If they did, they could find it somewhere. They just want your money so they can continue to be lazy.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Apparently it's illegal to feed homeless people in Orlando now. I know some of the heartless bastards on here will say "they deserve it" or whatever stupid shit, but this is ****ed up.

This is so wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

Detoxing
06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I have no sympathy for hobos. They're homeless because they're lazy as **** and choose to be that way. We allow them to take from society while contributing nothing but turds and empty bottles in our local parks. I understand that people feel sorry for them. But they're nothing but parasites. They prey on your guilt, while taking that $5 you gave them to go buy booze or drugs. They don't want a normal life. If they did, they could find it somewhere. They just want your money so they can continue to be lazy.

That's not always true and that's a very narrow minded way to look at poverty. I was homeless for years and yes, there are many who fit that description. My father and I never panhandled, never stole, never begged or asked for anything from anyone.

Because of that, as i got older, I developed disdain for homeless beggers. I hated homeless people because I knew that they didn't have to be that way.

But then I remembered that that's not fair. Not everyone is like that and sometimes some people really do need help.

I always remember this lady i met in a shelter when i was a kid. She was in her 40's, white woman, had white hair. She was also deaf and couldn't speak. She was the sweetest woman. She was my best friend. Every night we would write stuff to each other on her etch a sketch. She was homeless because she had no family and no one to help her with her disabilities. Her SSA check wasn't enough to pay rent & food.

She always kept herself clean, you'd never know she was homeless. So when I see homeless people and I get mad at them for being in the situation that they're in, I always remember her and it reminds me that it's not always the way you think it is and these people don't always deserve your criticism and meanness.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 11:49 AM
That's not always true and that's a very narrow minded way to look at poverty. I was homeless for years and yes, there are many who fit that description. My father and I never panhandled, never stole, never begged or asked for anything from anyone.

Because of that, as i got older, I developed disdain for homeless beggers. I hated homeless people because I knew that they didn't have to be that way.

But then I remembered that that's not fair. Not everyone is like that and sometimes some people really do need help.

I always remember this lady i met in a shelter when i was a kid. She was in her 40's, white woman, had white hair. She was also deaf and couldn't speak. She was the sweetest woman. She was my best friend. Every night we would write stuff to each other on her etch a sketch. She was homeless because she had no family and no one to help her with her disabilities. Her SSA check wasn't enough to pay rent & food.

She always kept herself clean, you'd never know she was homeless. So when I see homeless people and I get mad at them for being in the situation that they're in, I always remember her and it reminds me that it's not always the way you think it is and these people don't always deserve your criticism and meanness.

And yet i over hear the assholes around her brag about how they get SS,VA,ect to the tune of 700+ a month.

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Think what we could do for the truly needy if nobody abused the system.

Garcia Bronco
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I used to work at a bank in the lobby...we'd have this stupid african-american come in and bang on the door before the place even opened on the 1st of every month so she could withdraw her welfare check to go get her hair and nails done to keep up with her tricks. **** those people.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I think the purpose of this thread was to discuss whether or not their should be laws preventing us tax paying citizens from buying food (which we're also taxed on) and choosing to help the homeless with it. NOT what we think about homeless people in general.

It's weird, to me, to think that a large percentage of my taxes (20-35 percent roughly) goes to overseas occupancy whether I like or not, supporting "non profit" organizations whether I like it or not, and to put cameras at every intersection to watch us whether I like or not. Now they're being used to pay for conrgressmen to pass laws that pay for police officers to arrest people for spending their hard earned money purchasing LEGAL goods that support their FELLOW AMERICANS?

I think a lot of homeless people are lazy too, but that's not American, that's not freedom, and that's not life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Fish
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM

I understand that. But 99.999% of hobos are not of the type you describe above. The vast majority of the homeless I've encountered have refused help from friends and family when it was available. They'd rather be the way they are. Help is there for the people that actually need it and want to take advantage of it.

blaise
06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I didn't watch the video, but don't these usually boil down to people serving food in an area that isn't zoned for food service? Or needing some kind of permit to do so?
I'm sure there's places in Orlando that serve people food with no problems from the police. They're able to do so according to local rules and regulations.

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the purpose of this thread was to discuss whether or not their should be laws preventing us tax paying citizens from buying food (which we're also taxed on) and choosing to help the homeless with it. NOT what we think about homeless people in general.

It's weird, to me, to think that a large percentage of my taxes (20-35 percent roughly) goes to overseas occupancy whether I like or not, supporting "non profit" organizations whether I like it or not, and to put cameras at every intersection to watch us whether I like or not. Now they're being used to pay for conrgressmen to pass laws that pay for police officers to arrest people for spending their hard earned money purchasing LEGAL goods that support their FELLOW AMERICANS?

I think a lot of homeless people are lazy too, but that's not American, that's not freedom, and that's not life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

A more succinct way of prrasing this would be to ask whether or not people should need a license in order to serve food. Its a health issue as far as the city is concerned.

ForeverChiefs58
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
This is close to where I live. I am very familiar with it, and I'll tell you that is a very upscale park that many people love to go to and relax, read, walk or rent a paddleboat around the small lake. It has a large childrens play area and lots of ducks and kids around.

These not very bright people that may have good intentions choose to set up a feed the homless and set up a few tables without any permit or permission. Well, of course this then brings hundreds of homeless people from all over the area and guess what happens when they take away the tables? The homeless don't leave, cause they don't have a home to go back to. They hang around the playground where all the children are playing. I took my kids there and had a homeless man come up and beg me for money and start telling me his sob story wreaking of alcohol while I was trying to play with my kids.

Where homless people hang out, begging and crime will inevitably happen and nobody wants that there.

If you want to mass feed the homless that's great, but you need to rent out a place or have it where it doesn't interfere with everyone else. Homeless or anyone else also are not allowed to beg without a permit. That is why the firemen/anyone else can beg/stand out with a boot because they follow proper procedure. Get a permit, there is no issue. Pretty sick to break the law, have the state of mind to create an issue and grab a camera and some kids, but not the state of mind to follow proper procedure.

blaise
06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
If all the people in that video gave $5 a month they could probably cover the rent on some place to serve that food.
Instead they apparently think it's better to keep yelling at the cops who don't make the policy and letting all their food get thrown in the trash on a weekly basis.

And I wonder how a lot of people complaining would react if they started serving homeless people food twice a week in a playground across the street from their house.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I didn't watch the video, but don't these usually boil down to people serving food in an area that isn't zoned for food service? Or needing some kind of permit to do so?
I'm sure there's places in Orlando that serve people food with no problems from the police. They're able to do so according to local rules and regulations.

You really think they were keeping the homeless persons best interests at heart when they handcuffed these people?

I agree, there probably are lots of places in Orlando that serve people food without problems from the police. Places where the state governemnt makes the rules on who it staffs, regulates what gets served at what time and to whom (I know a shelter in Lawrence won't serve anyone that can't pass a breathalizer), and most importantly, gets to keep books on how much money is spent staffing and feeding so they account for every last dollar.

With that many protesters filming this incident I have a feeling those serving weren't breaking any sanitation laws. I could be wrong...

FishingRod
06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
If I want to spend my own money on fatty foods, cigarettes, a gas guzzling SUV, a sandwich for a homeless guy, or God forbid a John Elway friggin bobble head, the Government has no place in protecting me from myself.

blaise
06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
You really think they were keeping the homeless persons best interests at heart when they handcuffed these people?

I agree, there probably are lots of places in Orlando that serve people food without problems from the police. Places where the state governemnt makes the rules on who it staffs, regulates what gets served at what time and to whom (I know a shelter in Lawrence won't serve anyone that can't pass a breathalizer), and most importantly, gets to keep books on how much money is spent staffing and feeding so they account for every last dollar.

With that many protesters filming this incident I have a feeling those serving weren't breaking any sanitation laws. I could be wrong...

I don't think repeatedly getting handcuffed and having them throw your food out because you won't go through the proper channels is really looking out for the best interests of the homeless.

ChiTown
06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
The quick solution to all of this is to get a permit. If not, then you deserve to have your ass tossed in jail. No questions asked.

ChiTown
06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't think repeatedly getting handcuffed and having them throw your food out because you won't go through the proper channels is really looking out for the best interests of the homeless.

These people are more about making points, than solving problems. At the end of the day, they are just fucking idiots looking for a cause to place their jail sentence against.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

If they were purposely breaking sanitation laws and going out of their way to cause a stink than I agree with you.

If they weren't breaking sanitation laws and were just wanting to help out others IMO they should be able to buy food for whoever they want. Don't like homeless people at a public park? Don't go there.

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
If I want to spend my own money on fatty foods, cigarettes, a gas guzzling SUV, a sandwich for a homeless guy, or God forbid a John Elway friggin bobble head, the Government has no place in protecting me from myself.

So its cool if I set up shop in front of your driveway and hand out cash to recently reseased child molesters?

go bowe
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM

watch the early part of the clip again...

one of the signs said jesus didn't need a permit...

blaise
06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
If they were purposely breaking sanitation laws and going out of their way to cause a stink than I agree with you.

If they weren't breaking sanitation laws and were just wanting to help out others IMO they should be able to buy food for whoever they want. Don't like homeless people at a public park? Don't go there.

Well, it seems like enough taxpayers and policy makers in Orlando don't agree with that philosophy, and unlike the people in the video, they went through the proper channels to get what they want.

And they were breaking some kind of sanitation law it seems, hence the handcuffs.

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 01:03 PM

one of the signs said something along the lines of jesus didn't need a permit...

They didn't need permits back in Jesus's day. Of course, millions died due to sack of sanitation, food-borne illnesses, etc., so I don't really get the point of the sign.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Well, it seems like enough taxpayers and policy makers in Orlando don't agree with that philosophy, and unlike the people in the video, they went through the proper channels to get what they want.

And they were breaking some kind of sanitation law it seems, hence the handcuffs.

I've conceded already if they're breaking sanitation laws they should be arrested.

Couldn't the handcuffs have come based on not going through the proper channels alone?

Sorry, I disagree that the state government or law has the right to tell me I can't feed who I want to with the legal food I bought and payed state taxes on with the money I legally earned and paid state And federal taxes on, and that only they can decide who gets fed for free.

FishingRod
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
So its cool if I set up shop in front of your driveway and hand out cash to recently reseased child molesters?

Cool? About as cool as an Elway Bobble-head.

FishingRod
06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
For what it is worth I can’t see the video. If they are violating sanitation laws then fine. But if someone wants to feed a dude a sandwich or give them money to guy buy one how can that be anyone else’s business.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 01:18 PM

one of the signs said jesus didn't need a permit...

ya, thats bullshit. Last i heard he was nailed to a cross for not havin one.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=ForeverChiefs58;7719816]This is close to where I live. I am very familiar with it, and I'll tell you that is a very upscale park that many people love to go to and relax, read, walk or rent a paddleboat around the small lake. It has a large childrens play area and lots of ducks and kids around.

Well, of course this then brings hundreds of homeless people from all over the area and guess what happens when they take away the tables? The homeless don't leave, cause they don't have a home to go back to. They hang around the playground where all the children are playing. I took my kids there and had a homeless man come up and beg me for money and start telling me his sob story wreaking of alcohol while I was trying to play with my kids.

Where homless people hang out, begging and crime will inevitably happen and nobody wants that there.

\QUOTE]

So go to a private park. Upscale or not, it's still public, and they have every but as much right to be there as you do.

As for the begging, if that happens, then have them arrested for it. You won't have to deal with that at a private park.

go bowe
06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
They didn't need permits back in Jesus's day. Of course, millions died due to sack of sanitation, food-borne illnesses, etc., so I don't really get the point of the sign.

my inference was that the reason they were arrested is because they didn't have a permit, and that they were intentionally defying the law to get publicity for their cause...

Iowanian
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM

I don't think they are doing that. It appears to me the "govt" is protecting law abiding citizens and children from an influx of vagrants and shady bastards to a public park, used by families and children.

There are already shelters and places to feed the homeless, there is no need to have hobos taking dumps on the jungle gym.

Fish
06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Don't like homeless people at a public park? Don't go there.

That's awfully easy for you to say. I happen to live directly across the street from a public park. Several hobos live in that park. It's part of my neighborhood, so I can't really just not go there. It's part of why I moved into the neighborhood.

A year ago or so, my daughter was playing on the playground there at the park, when I heard her say "Daddy, what's this?" And I look, and she's got a used hypodermic needle in her hand. I've stepped in hobo shit in the middle of the park, because they'll just drop trou wherever they are and blast away. Have you ever stepped in hobo shit in your neighborhood? I've picked up countless booze bottles. Most of them in pieces. My daughter is a little hippy and hates to wear shoes. But I can't let her go barefoot in the damn park because of broken glass, needles, and hobo shit. It's also fun to explain to my daughter why the guy on the park bench is covered in his own dook, throwing up on the ground at 9am in the morning.

So go ahead and piss off saying "Don't go there."

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
That's awfully easy for you to say. I happen to live directly across the street from a public park. Several hobos live in that park. It's part of my neighborhood, so I can't really just not go there. It's part of why I moved into the neighborhood.

A year ago or so, my daughter was playing on the playground there at the park, when I heard her say "Daddy, what's this?" And I look, and she's got a used hypodermic needle in her hand. I've stepped in hobo shit in the middle of the park, because they'll just drop trou wherever they are and blast away. Have you ever stepped in hobo shit in your neighborhood? I've picked up countless booze bottles. Most of them in pieces. My daughter is a little hippy and hates to wear shoes. But I can't let her go barefoot in the damn park because of broken glass, needles, and hobo shit. It's also fun to explain to my daughter why the guy on the park bench is covered in his own dook, throwing up on the ground at 9am in the morning.

So go ahead and piss off saying "Don't go there."

Hobos don't feel motivated enough to earn the money (or spend the money) to buys themselves homes so they shoot up in the park across the street.

You don't feel motivated enough to earn the money (or spend the money) to take your daughter to a private park where there aren't dirty needles lying around.

Piss off? Our capitalistic system has given you every oppotunity for you to advance in life and go to a place where you're guaranteed not to ever step in a hobos sh*t again. Don't like it? Move to communist China.

blaise
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I've conceded already if they're breaking sanitation laws they should be arrested.

Couldn't the handcuffs have come based on not going through the proper channels alone?

Sorry, I disagree that the state government or law has the right to tell me I can't feed who I want to with the legal food I bought and payed state taxes on with the money I legally earned and paid state And federal taxes on, and that only they can decide who gets fed for free.

It appears they have the right, and going through proper channels and getting permits are part of the sanitation laws.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
It appears to me the "govt" is protecting law abiding citizens and children from an influx of vagrants and shady bastards to a public park, used by families and children.

So long as they aren't breaking any laws, those vagrants and shady bastards are as every bit as law abiding as anyone else. And most of them have familes and children of their own. Hell, an insanely high number of them (like20-30 percent) are Veterans. Like it or not, and believe me sometimes I don't like it either, they have as much a right to be there as anyone else.

blaise
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
So long as they aren't breaking any laws, those vagrants and shady bastards are as every bit as law abiding as anyone else. And most of them have familes and children of their own. Hell, an insanely high number of them (like20-30 percent) are Veterans. Like it or not, and believe me sometimes I don't like it either, they have as much a right to be there as anyone else.

They didn't arrest the homeless people though, did they? They arrested the people for serving food.

Fish
06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
OK. I've just realized I'm arguing with a complete idiot.

And for the record..... there are curfews at public parks. Making it illegal to stay overnight.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
They didn't arrest the homeless people though, did they? They arrested the people for serving food.

Duh

ChiTown
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Duh

:spock:

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
OK. I've just realized I'm arguing with a complete idiot.

And for the record..... there are curfews at public parks. Making it illegal to stay overnight.

Hey, I'm not the one propping my kids up as an example why homeless shouldn't be allowed to use public parks even though it's their right to do so and you and I both know it. Of course if they stay there overnight they'll arrested, tell me something I don't know.

As I've stated (for like the third time) YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER THERE. You have the CHOICE to earn enough money to take her to a private park. Instead you choose to ignore that choice, and bitch about how the public parks are crawling with homeless people on the internet. That's some great parenting there.

But I'm the idiot.

go bowe
06-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey, I'm not the one propping my kids up as an example why homeless shouldn't be allowed to use public parks even though it's their right to do so and you and I both know it. Of course if they stay there overnight they'll arrested, tell me something I don't know.

As I've stated (for like the third time) YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER THERE. You have the CHOICE to earn enough money to take her to a private park. Instead you choose to ignore that choice, and bitch about how the public parks are crawling with homeless people on the internet. That's some great parenting there.

But I'm the idiot.

self-awareness is the first step on the path to inner peace, grasshopper...

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 02:12 PM
self-awareness is the first step on the path to inner peace, grasshopper...

I have inner peace, enough not trade insults with people who wanna trash talk the way our capitalistic society runs.

If don't like the point I made about earning enough money to take your kid someplace better than a park full of dirty needles, you have the right to leave. I see you already have some Eastern Philosophy knowledge....

Fish
06-28-2011, 02:14 PM
But I'm the idiot.

We can agree.

Fish
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM

But I'm the idiot.

Propping my kid up? How so?

This park I was using as an example is a public park in a nice middle class neighborhood. It also happens to be within a school zone, as there is an elementary school on the other side of the park. It is frequented by many children, not just mine. There just happens to be a few vagrants who try to make their home there, and trash an otherwise beautiful park.

Now your brilliant solution is to just forget about the park across the street, and let the vagrants do what they will. I should work harder so I can afford to take my daughter to a "private park". Never mind the fact that I've never heard of a "private park". But anyway... You're suggesting that this park should just be handed over to hobos, who break the law by living there and bringing drugs, booze, and trash into the park. If my neighborhood should do as you suggest, this beautiful park would get even more trashed, and eventually be unusable to everyone. Completely wasted space all due to some vagrants who don't contribute a single thing to the neighborhood they trash.

Nice plan dipshit. That really solves the underlying problem doesn't it? The park is trashed, and no one can use it. But hey, everyone can just work harder and go to private parks cause this is capitalist America.

And on top of that, you attempt to criticize my parenting? I'm trying to provide a nice place for my daughter to play, and you call me a bad parent because I don't want hobos trashing it? Better parents would abandon their neighborhood to the vagrants and move.

Do you see how completely foolish you look by saying this? Fuck the hobos.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 02:47 PM
We can agree.

Dude, don't you see I'm trying to HELP you with your problem.

I take it don't want your daughter picking up any more dirty needles, correct? I'm giving you advice on how to prevert that from EVER happening again - take her someplace else. You tell me to piss off. I ignore your disrespect, and give you reasons why our society makes it impossible for you to safely guarantee taking her to public park without dirty needles and broken bottles and dookie, you call me an idiot. I sacrastically agree (not really) and tell you a good parent would do would they needed to do to get their kid into a needle free park instead of whining about it on the internet, and all you can do is agree with my fake insult to myself.

I'm not an idiot for trying to give you advice on how to prevent your daughter from coming across dirty needles. But you come across as a sh*tty parent to me for calling somebody names who's trying to help you and your kid. And I'd much rather be an idiot than a sh*tty parent any day. JMO.

blaise
06-28-2011, 02:50 PM

I take it don't want your daughter picking up any more dirty needles, correct? I'm giving you advice on how to prevert that from EVER happening again - take her someplace else. You tell me to piss off. I ignore your disrespect, and give you reasons why our society makes it impossible for you to safely guarantee taking her to public park without dirty needles and broken bottles and dookie, you call me an idiot. I sacrastically agree (not really) and tell you a good parent would do would they needed to do to get their kid into a needle free park instead of whining about it on the internet, and all you can do is agree with my fake insult to myself.

I'm not an idiot for trying to give you advice on how to prevent your daughter from coming across dirty needles. But you come across as a sh*tty parent to me for calling somebody names who's trying to help you and your kid. And I'd much rather be an idiot than a sh*tty parent any day. JMO.

Kind of like whining on the internet about not being able to feed homeless people in a park instead of petitioning Orlando policy makers?

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM

1. I should work harder so I can afford to take my daughter to a "private park".

2. Never mind the fact that I've never heard of a "private park". But anyway...

3. You're suggesting that this park should just be handed over to hobos, who break the law by living there and bringing drugs, booze, and trash into the park.

4. Completely wasted space all due to some vagrants who don't contribute a single thing to the neighborhood they trash.

5. But hey, everyone can just work harder and go to private parks cause this is capitalist America.

6.**** the hobos.

1. If they bother you so much, yes.

2. They're out there. You heard of private property?

3. If they're breaking the law they shouldn't be there. And they deserve to be arrested.

4. As of right now, they have as much right to be there as you do.

5. Yes they can.

6. A lot of those hobos have kids too.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Kind of like whining on the internet about not being able to feed homeless people in a park instead of petitioning Orlando policy makers?

I'm not whining about the homeless, I'm arguing that a tax paying American I should be able to feed whoever I want to with the food I legally bought from the job I legally earned the money at. So long as I'm following sanitation laws and get a permit for it, though personally I don't think a permit should be required to spend my money how I choose. JMO. Maybe I will petition the Orlando policy makers...

blaise
06-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm not whining about the homeless, I'm arguing that a tax paying American I should be able to feed whoever I want to with the food I legally bought from the job I legally earned the money at. So long as I'm following sanitation laws and get a permit for it, though personally I don't think a permit should be required to spend my money how I choose. JMO. Maybe I will petition the Orlando policy makers...

But for now you'll just whine on the internet.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
But for now you'll just whine on the internet.

No, now i'm gonna try and find a petition to sign to prove the point I care about my right to spend my money how I want. If I can post the link I will, though I'm not sure I wanna post my real name on here. Appently I've really upset some people for suggesting not earning enough money to play away from the homeless is as lazy as the homeless not earning enough money to buy homes. Even though everyone knows a gym or country club membership is far cheaper than most year lease rentals, nevermind the cost of actually buying property. Isn't it ironic?

loochy
06-28-2011, 03:17 PM

But obviously those people didn't do that. If they did, they wouldn't have been arrested...

I'm confused as to why you would argue about this.

blaise
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
No, now i'm gonna try and find a petition to sign to prove the point I care about my right to spend my money how I want. If I can post the link I will, though I'm not sure I wanna post my real name on here. Appently I've really upset some people for suggesting not earning enough money to play away from the homeless is as lazy as the homeless not earning enough money to buy homes. Even though everyone knows a gym or country club membership is far cheaper than most year lease rentals, nevermind the cost of actually buying property. Isn't it ironic?

No, not really.

Fish
06-28-2011, 03:22 PM

If everyone had your attitude, there would be no clean public parks for most neighborhoods. If you just let people do whatever they wanted in public places, those places get run down and trashed and unusable. That's why the authorities take action against vagrants in public places. That's why they use minor issues like sanitation to keep people from bringing masses of homeless people to public parks. Your solution of "make more money and better yourself" does nothing to address existing neighborhoods. Many people in the neighborhood have worked most of their lives to afford some of the nice houses nearby. Abandoning their neighborhood because of a few vagrants is an illogical solution.

Our neighborhoods are not disposable. Obviously you know nothing of taking pride in where you live and what you've got. Your "help" as you call it, is nothing more than suggesting I give up trying to better my neighborhood, and find something better. Which again, does nothing to address the root of the problem. And the way you simplify it tells me you've never carried much responsibility for yourself or those around you.

loochy
06-28-2011, 03:34 PM
If everyone had your attitude, there would be no clean public parks for most neighborhoods. If you just let people do whatever they wanted in public places, those places get run down and trashed and unusable. That's why the authorities take action against vagrants in public places. That's why they use minor issues like sanitation to keep people from bringing masses of homeless people to public parks. Your solution of "make more money and better yourself" does nothing to address existing neighborhoods. Many people in the neighborhood have worked most of their lives to afford some of the nice houses nearby. Abandoning their neighborhood because of a few vagrants is an illogical solution.

Our neighborhoods are not disposable. Obviously you know nothing of taking pride in where you live and what you've got. Your "help" as you call it, is nothing more than suggesting I give up trying to better my neighborhood, and find something better. Which again, does nothing to address the root of the problem. And the way you simplify it tells me you've never carried much responsibility for yourself or those around you.

LOL don't pay attention to that guy. He probably owns a nice house somewhere near 41st and Paseo.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
1. If everyone had your attitude, there would be no clean public parks for most neighborhoods. If you just let people do whatever they wanted in public places, those places get run down and trashed and unusable. That's why the authorities take action against vagrants in public places. That's why they use minor issues like sanitation to keep people from bringing masses of homeless people to public parks. Your solution of "make more money and better yourself" does nothing to address existing neighborhoods. Many people in the neighborhood have worked most of their lives to afford some of the nice houses nearby. Abandoning their neighborhood because of a few vagrants is an illogical solution.

Attitude Shmattiude. I've never owned a credit card, am not in debt, am employed, have my rent paid months in advance and have a 10 plus year work history with one 2 month gap as my biggest hole. Tell yourself whatever you want about my me and my attitude.

Bust this : You and the people who work in your neighborhood to afford those nice houses you speak of DON'T OWN THE PARK. Know who does? The general public. Know who makes up a large percentage of the gerneral public? Homeless people. If the government passes a law saying the only people who turn in x amount of money can use the public park, guess what, it ceases to be a public park. As long it's a public park, there will be broken beer bottles and dirty needles. The fastest way to fix that is to go to a private club. And that is the most logical solution, like or not. You've certainly yet to come up with a better one, cause your "abandoning the neighborhood is an illogical solution" comment is flat wrong, considering you'd only be abandoning the park, not the whole neighborhood lol.

Obviously I know nothing of taking pride in where I live and what I've got? i've lived in Kansas City for almost 23 years and I guarantee I take more pride in what I have than you do, considering I'm working towards self employment and used my two bare hands to literally make myself my most valued positions. Slander me all you want. I was trying to help. My suggestion wasn't the most honorable thing according to you, fine, but it was the quickest fix to your problem. Again, you've yet to come up with a better one.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
LOL don't pay attention to that guy. He probably owns a nice house somewhere near 41st and Paseo.

I don't, but if I did would that make me less of a person than you? Would that make my rights any less valuable? Should that disqualify me walking through public parks my tax dollars helped fund?

The sense of self righteousness in this thread against the poor and downtrodden is staggering to me.

loochy
06-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't, but if I did would that make me less of a person than you? Would that make my rights any less valuable? Should that disqualify me walking through public parks my tax dollars helped fund?

The sense of self righteousness in this thread against the poor and downtrodden is staggering to me.

It would make your opinion regarding taking pride in your neighborhood less valuable.

If that was the case, then you actually paid fewer tax dollars than someone with a higher income or more expensive house. Therefore you deserve less enjoyment out of the park than your higher tax paying counterpart. :D

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 03:50 PM
It would make your opinion regarding taking pride in your neighborhood less valuable.

ROFL

Touche

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
If that was the case, then you actually paid fewer tax dollars than someone with a higher income or more expensive house. Therefore you deserve less enjoyment out of the park than your higher tax paying counterpart. :D

No I wouldn't, but I'm glad you have the balls to actually say what you mean instead of dressing it up in a self righteous lecture about morality and neighborhood pride and your precious children before insinutating my attitude implies things it doesn't.

I apprecitate the honesty.

Cannibal
06-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Agreed.

I think people need to realize that in many cases in addition to people with physical disabilities, people who are homeless are mentally disabled or disturbed and cannot function in a normal work environment due to the mental disability.

There are also quite a large number veterans of foreign wars who are homeless.

ForeverChiefs58
06-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Not like this was a 1 time thing either. This happens very regularly at this park. A lot of officers have to get tied up with this bullshit cause some idiots like to waste the food instead of having it served at a shelter. They know the rules and they choose to break them. Instead of law obiding citizens having to go anywhere different why don't stupid people learn to follow the fucking rules.

go bowe
06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Not like this was a 1 time thing either. This happens very regularly at this park. A lot of officers have to get tied up with this bullshit cause some idiots like to waste the food instead of having it served at a shelter. They know the rules and they choose to break them. Instead of law obiding citizens having to go anywhere different why don't stupid people learn to follow the fucking rules.

this, pretty much...

Detoxing
06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
ya, thats bullshit. Last i heard he was nailed to a cross for not havin one.

ha!

Okie_Apparition
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe puplic parks should be a thing of the past. A strip mall & it's tax revenue would be better than grass full of needles & broken glass. THe tax dollars for the upkeep ain't worth it

vailpass
06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Don't feed them it only makes them hang around.

Backwards Masking
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Don't feed them it only makes them hang around.

Just like that episode of South Park.

"Change?....change?...change?..."

Baby Lee
06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
These people are more about making points, than solving problems. At the end of the day, they are just fucking idiots looking for a cause to place their jail sentence against.

Looks like the whole thing is an attempt to bring attention to their 'Food Not Bombs' banner.

The Ordinance was enacted due to citizen complaints about aggressive panhandling, littering and public urination/defecation.

An organization [including this one] can obtain 2 permits per year for each of 25 parks downtown.

Further, there are 10 different facilities serving 3 free meals a day within walking distance of this park.

Baby Lee
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='512' height='340'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-20-2011/new-york-city-outdoor-smoking-ban'>New York City Outdoor Smoking Ban</a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:512px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:390002' width='512' height='288' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

HonestChieffan
06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
If they are in your park, why not organize a feed in a different neighborhood in their park? It would be like bum baiting. Feed them and they will come.

Direckshun
06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I haven't read the thread, but I think this is actually a pretty good idea.

The homeless panhandle because they can make more money doing so than they can taking advantage of the state's services for the homeless.

Saul Good
06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Attitude Shmattiude. I've never owned a credit card, am not in debt, am employed, have my rent paid months in advance and have a 10 plus year work history with one 2 month gap as my biggest hole. Tell yourself whatever you want about my me and my attitude.

Bust this : You and the people who work in your neighborhood to afford those nice houses you speak of DON'T OWN THE PARK. Know who does? The general public. Know who makes up a large percentage of the gerneral public? Homeless people. If the government passes a law saying the only people who turn in x amount of money can use the public park, guess what, it ceases to be a public park.

This is a public park. The public voted on how they wanted this situation to be handled, and the powers that be made it so. Ergo: shut the fuck up.

HonestChieffan
06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Can you blame hobos for wanting to hang out in nice neighborhoods with nice parks? Who would leave Johnson County to move into a city park on Troost?

Fish
06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Looks like the whole thing is an attempt to bring attention to their 'Food Not Bombs' banner.

The Ordinance was enacted due to citizen complaints about aggressive panhandling, littering and public urination/defecation.

An organization [including this one] can obtain 2 permits per year for each of 25 parks downtown.

Further, there are 10 different facilities serving 3 free meals a day within walking distance of this park.

Well.... this is just shocking information...

I just feel sorry for all those people who will have to find private parks now...

ForeverChiefs58
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
now these community concerned cockroaches are hacking city websites each day until their demands are met. what a fine group.

The computer hacker group Anonymous the same group credited with crashing the websites of Visa and MasterCard in support of Wikileaks launched what it calls "Operation Orlando" this morning.

In news releases and emails to the Orlando Sentinel, the loose-knit group promises to bring down a different Orlando-related website every day.

Today, the group chose an odd target: orlandofloridaguide.com, a privately owned tourism site that has no apparent affiliation with City Hall. That website went offline shortly before 10 a.m.; the group's news release indicated it would remain disabled until 6 p.m.

The attacks are in retaliation for the city's arrest of members of Orlando Food Not Bombs, an anti-poverty group that has been feeding large groups of homeless people in Lake Eola Park.

The food distribution is in defiance of a controversial ordinance that requires permits to feed large groups in downtown parks, and limits any group to no more than two permits per year, per park.

The cyber attacks follow attacks last week on the websites for the Orlando Chamber of Commerce and Universal Studios.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/hacker-anonymous-attacks-orlando-websites-over-food-not-1567198.html?showComments=true

ClevelandBronco
06-28-2011, 11:56 PM
...I always remember this lady i met in a shelter when i was a kid. She was in her 40's, white woman, had white hair. She was also deaf and couldn't speak. She was the sweetest woman. She was my best friend. Every night we would write stuff to each other on her etch a sketch. She was homeless because she had no family and no one to help her with her disabilities. Her SSA check wasn't enough to pay rent & food...

It seems to me that you could have helped this particular woman out if you'd written on her Etch-a-Sketch, "Honey, have you ever thought about getting your sweet, 40-something, white, deaf ass the hell out of SoCal so your check might cover some rent?"

But yeah, I hear you.

ForeverChiefs58
06-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Why would a homeless person live where it gets real cold? When I would see people living in KC under a bridge in the winter I would wonder to myself why they don't go to where it is warm if they are living outside.