PDA

View Full Version : Environment Monsanto Raises Forecast as Net Gains 77%

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
The Evil empire has never been stronger.

Eat your GMO round up ... er I mean soybeans boys and girls cause if that doesn't get you the runoff will.

Monsanto Co. (MON), the world’s largest seed company, raised its full-year profit forecast and posted third-quarter earnings that topped analysts’ estimates on higher sales of Roundup weed killer and genetically modified seeds.

Net income climbed 77 percent to $680 million, or $1.26 a share, in the three months through May 31, from $384 million, or 70 cents, a year earlier, St. Louis-based Monsanto said today in a statement. That beat the $1.10 average estimate of 17 analysts in a Bloomberg survey.

Profit excluding some items will rise to $2.84 to $2.88 a share in the fiscal year through August, compared with a previous prediction of $2.72 to $2.82. The average estimate of 20 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg was $2.82. Monsanto also said the Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating customer incentives for Roundup.

Roundup, the world’s best-selling herbicide, and other crop chemicals returned to profit after a $175 million loss before interest and tax in the year-ago quarter. Gross profit from seeds and genetics rose 21 percent after Chief Executive Officer Hugh Grant cut prices of new corn and soybean seeds in an effort to stop gains by DuPont Co.’s Pioneer unit.

“Soybeans had better sales and gross profit than expected, which was probably the most upside in seeds,” Chris Shaw, a New York-based analyst at Monness Crespi Hardt & Co. who rates the shares “neutral,” said in an interview. “It will be interesting to see whether the market rewards them for better Roundup earnings or discounts that as a bonus.”

SEC Probe

Monsanto rose $2.30, or 3.4 percent, to $69.20 as of 9:35 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares declined 3.9 percent this year before today.

Monsanto said the SEC probe involves customer-incentive programs relating to glyphosate products, the generic name for Roundup, in fiscal years 2009 and 2010. Monsanto said it received a subpoena for documents and is cooperating. John Nester, a SEC spokesman, declined to comment.

The company planned to spend as much as $150 million “of incremental price concessions or trade incentives” in the Roundup business to establish the brand in Latin America, North America and Europe, Carl M. Casale, Monsanto’s former chief financial officer, said in a February 2010 conference call.

Sales in the fiscal third quarter rose 21 percent to $3.59 billion, as crop chemicals such as Roundup gained 57 percent and seeds and gene license fees climbed 12 percent.

Fourth Quarter

Monsanto’s loss in the fourth-quarter, traditionally a money-losing period because of crop-planting seasonality, will be 26 cents to 30 cents a share, the company said in a presentation posted on its website. The average estimate of 16 analysts surveyed was for a loss of 18 cents.

Roundup Ready 2 soybeans and reduced refuge corn, Monsanto’s newest modified seeds, will meet forecasts for planting on mid-teens millions of acres in the U.S. this year, the company said.

High crop prices are generating record income for U.S. farmers, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. That typically helps boost demand for pricier seeds that Monsanto engineers to kill pests and tolerate applications of weed killer.

DuPont last year tied Monsanto for the lead in North American corn-seed market share, and the Wilmington, Delaware- based company said on June 14 that it gained more share this year in corn and soybeans.

mlyonsd
06-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Off topic but there is nothing more satisfying than spraying Roundup on something you want killed.

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a company worth investing in. Thanks for the tip, BD.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a company worth investing in. Thanks for the tip, BD.

There nothing quite like the feeling of investing in ones own demise.

Saul Good
06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
There nothing quite like the feeling of investing in ones own demise.

It won't be my demise. Thanks to the vigilance of my CP brethren, I know better than to fall into their traps.

While the rest of the world perishes, my unvaccinated kids and I will be laughing while we fly around in our water-fueled jet, free to live in a world where sprinklers don't create rainbows when light hits them.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
It won't be my demise. Thanks to the vigilance of my CP brethren, I know better than to fall into their traps.

While the rest of the world perishes, my unvaccinated kids and I will be laughing while we fly around in our water-fueled jet, free to live in a world where sprinklers don't create rainbows when light hits them.

Your welcome and water-fueled jet? rainbows and unicorns?

HonestChieffan
06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Great technology that fits usually generates excellent rewards.

vailpass
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Serious question BD: what is wrong with Monsanto?

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Serious question BD: what is wrong with Monsanto?

I've posted a ton on Monsanto in the past. They have been putting farmers out of business for years. They produce roundup which somebody already said is great if you want to kill something and expose it to GMO crops for consumers. The runoff hits our water. There is a great documentary on them called the future of food.
http://thepiratebay.org/search/future%20of%20food/0/99/0

Here is a little on them:

http://bestmeal.info/monsanto/company-history.shtml

Do your own due diligence on it.

vailpass
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I've posted a ton on Monsanto in the past. They have been putting farmers out of business for years. They produce roundup which somebody already said is great if you want to kill something and expose it to GMO crops for consumers. The runoff hits our water. There is a great documentary on them called the future of food.
http://thepiratebay.org/search/future%20of%20food/0/99/0

Here is a little on them:

http://bestmeal.info/monsanto/company-history.shtml

Do your own due diligence on it.

Thanks, sorry to have you repeat yourself. I hadn't read anyh of this, will have to look at it.

HonestChieffan
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
The bullshit that the crazies have come up with and accuse Roundup for is never ending and is creative. It has no basis in fact but that is not the point.

One of the interesting things about chemistry is it is quite quantifiable. And the components of a molecule easy to identify and to monitor and find the metabolites when the molecule does breakdown. Half life is easy to determine in any environment...soil, air, water.

Glyphosate is safe to fish and amphibians and in water dissipates rapidly...thats why it is labeled as an aquatic herbicide.

Glyphosate for use as a herbicide in corn and other crops has reduced the total pounds of pesticide by a huge amount. 25 years ago Corn would get 2 or 3 pounds per acre of atrazine plus 1-2 pounds of alachlor or metolachclor. That is now replaced by 1 pound of glyphosate. Thats a huge benefit environmentally. The same numbers apply to soybeans with different products.

Monsanto the evil is just another fringe deal with a mission.

The anti GMO crowd will always need a giant to point to. Monsanto, DuPont, Dow, whoever. Same old song.

Stewie
06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
They have been putting farmers out of business for years.

Really? How? Our family farm is as strong as ever.

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Really? How? Our family farm is as strong as ever.

By suing them. How you can be a farmer and not know that is beyond me. Do you use GMO seeds from Monsanto?

Stewie
06-29-2011, 04:21 PM
By suing them. How you can be a farmer and not know that is beyond me. Do you use GMO seeds from Monsanto?

Suing farmers? Over what? This is news to me. No, we use Garst seed.

kstater
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Licensing agreement. Can't re-use seed. They sue the ones that do. Patent protection issue. It's the farmers fault for violating the agreement.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-01-13-biotech-pirates_x.htm

Stewie
06-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Licensing agreement. Can't re-use seed. They sue the ones that do. Patent protection issue. It's the farmers fault for violating the agreement.

Ah, I didn't know that, but it seems arbitrary. We don't use Monsanto seed.

HonestChieffan
06-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Monsanto, and the other developers of the gene technology, each are paid for the use of the technology weather the seed comes from Monsanto, Dekalb, Pioneer, or whomever. Monsanto is just one of the players. They have focused on herbicide tolerance more than any other trait.

Dupont, Dow, and a host of others have developed the traits that are now "stacked" in a variety that will allow for no insecticide to be used...example is boll worms in cotton, root worms in corn, replacing millions of pounds of pesticide with a single gene trait.

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-01-13-biotech-pirates_x.htm

Congratulations you figured out why they are being sued. Google is wonderful. Rock on.

BIG_DADDY
06-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Really it was news to you that I could get raw whole milk when you can get it legally off of a farm just about anywhere in the country as well as in stores in many states. How is that even possible for you to not know that you being a farmer and all? I need to go back to just posting on sports, this is ridiculous.

chiefzilla1501
06-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Ah, I didn't know that, but it seems arbitrary. We don't use Monsanto seed.

I'm not a farmer, but my understanding is that the seed blows with the wind into other Farms a ton. They'll sue you in those instances. And in many cases, they'll make the legal burden so heavy that it's cheaper to settle and admit guilt, even if you did nothing wrong.

Again, not in the business, but that's what I keep hearing. Crooked as hell.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm not a farmer, but my understanding is that the seed blows with the wind into other Farms a ton. They'll sue you in those instances. And in many cases, they'll make the legal burden so heavy that it's cheaper to settle and admit guilt, even if you did nothing wrong.

Bingo!

HonestChieffan
06-30-2011, 06:03 AM

We see corn blowing in the wind a lot. And the drifts of soybeans are a major hazard in rural areas. City folk beware.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
PERCY SCHMEISER - DAVID VERSUS MONSANTO

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPKoSrc99p4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPKoSrc99p4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Stewie
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Really it was news to you that I could get raw whole milk when you can get it legally off of a farm just about anywhere in the country as well as in stores in many states. How is that even possible for you to not know that you being a farmer and all? I need to go back to just posting on sports, this is ridiculous.

OK, sit back and make judgements. I'm not a farmer, my cousin farms our land. We aren't dairy farmers either, so I don't give a fuck about raw milk.

All I know is that my cousin is really good at what he does and cares about the land more than some grocery store shopper that reads radical, stupid media releases.

Stewie
06-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Corn kernels and soybeans flow freely in the air? Really?