PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Buck Foston

Stewie
06-30-2011, 06:09 AM
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J., June 28 (UPI) -- A New Jersey man said he has hired a constitutional lawyer for the potential fight over the planned name of his new bar -- Buck Foston's.

Larry Blatterfein of New Brunswick, a lifelong fan of Boston Red Sox rivals the New York Yankees, said the name is "all in fun" and designed to "engender an emotional response," the Boston Herald reported Tuesday.

However, he said Mayor Jim Cahill, an avowed Red Sox fan, is attempting to prevent the name by withholding a liquor license.

Blatterfein said he has hired a constitutional lawyer for a potential First Amendment court battle.

Okie_Apparition
06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Is CP Buck's last name Frees

Brainiac
06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't really have a problem with a mayor trying to ban a name that is obviously based on a word that most people consider obscene. It doesn't matter if he's a Red Sox fan or not. Larry Blatterfein needs to grow up.

blaise
06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Just name the bar something else and put up the, "Buck Foston" sign out front.

Does the bar sign have to match the name? I used to go to a bar that had no name on it at all.

BigRichard
06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Reported.

tooge
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't really have a problem with a mayor trying to ban a name that is obviously based on a word that most people consider obscene. It doesn't matter if he's a Red Sox fan or not. Larry Blatterfein needs to grow up.

It's a great name for a rival sports bar. Don't be so effin serious

Dave Lane
06-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Muck Fizzou!!!

SNR
06-30-2011, 09:41 AM
This guy should be banned from the US. Word filter evasions are no joke

EDIT: Too late :grr:

JD10367
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Hell, I'm from Boston and I think it's pretty funny.

Bump
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I'd like to see a Muck Fizzou bar open up in Columbia, it would be awesome.

JD10367
06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
The name works because "Buck" is a man's first name. So they really have no cause to gripe or make him change it. "Foston" is not a swear, and he apparently even wants to make it possessive so it truly looks like a name ("Buck Foston's"). Just let the guy do it, it's pretty clever.

Stewie
06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

It's a far better name than the Mexican chain of restaurants on the west coast... "The Pink Taco."

loochy
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
It's a far better name than the Mexican chain of restaurants on the west coast... "The Pink Taco."

It's a better name than Sick Duck's.

Mr. Laz
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
lol wut?

the name isn't obscene and the mayor is being a douche

Brainiac
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
The name works because "Buck" is a man's first name. So they really have no cause to gripe or make him change it. "Foston" is not a swear, and he apparently even wants to make it possessive so it truly looks like a name ("Buck Foston's"). Just let the guy do it, it's pretty clever.
lol wut?

the name isn't obscene and the mayor is being a douche

The last time I checked, **** was considered to be an obscene word. The word is even censored on this forum. So don't pretend that nobody knows that Buck Foston really means **** Boston. Fuck Boston is offensive.

Some people aren't offended by the word. Others are.

Would the mayor be a douche if he prevented somebody from opening a bar named Nuck Figgers? How is that different?

BigRichard
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
The last time I checked, **** was considered to be an obscene word. The word is even censored on this forum. So don't pretend that nobody knows that Buck Foston really means **** Boston.

Would the mayor be a douche if he prevented somebody from opening a bar named Nuck Figgers?

Is the guys name Nuck Figgers?

Predarat
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
He could start a strip joint name Hkanky Sos.

Stewie
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
The last time I checked, **** was considered to be an obscene word. The word is even censored on this forum. So don't pretend that nobody knows that Buck Foston really means **** Boston. Fuck Boston is offensive.

Would the mayor be a douche if he prevented somebody from opening a bar named Nuck Figgers? How is that different?

Man! You're really smart! My whole life has been changed!

loochy
06-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Man! You're really smart! My whole life has been changed!

His name is Brainiac for a reason.

Mr. Laz
06-30-2011, 03:46 PM

yea, because a racial epithet is the same thing as sport rivalry smack.

Chiefless
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Why not just name it Budge Foston's...or better yet Boston's Fudge. But then again everyone know's when you say fudge you really mean ****.

Baby Lee
06-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Anyone who could figure out the wordplay is grown up enough to take the joke. Particularly if there isn't any Boston related imagery or references attendant to it. Didn't even click with me until I clicked on the thread and read the header.

salame
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Nuck Figgers made me laugh my ass off

Brainiac
06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Is the guys name Nuck Figgers?

No. Is the other guy's name Buck Foston?

Brainiac
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
yea, because a racial epithet is the same thing as sport rivalry smack.

The point is that each name contains a word that is either obscene or extremely offensive to a large segment of the population. Transposing the first letters doesn't magically make it OK to use EITHER as a business name.

loochy
06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
The point is that each name contains a word that is either obscene or extremely offensive to a large segment of the population. Transposing the first letters doesn't magically make it OK to use EITHER as a business name.

Why not? If it's so offensive, let that take care of itself. People won't go there if they are offended.

WTF is wrong with this country? Why are we so worried about offending someone? JFC!

Brainiac
06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Why not? If it's so offensive, let that take care of itself. People won't go there if they are offended.

WTF is wrong with this country? Why are we so worried about offending someone? JFC!

There are plenty of things wrong with this country. Insisting that a public tavern doesn't include an obscenity in its name ranks pretty low on the list of things that most people get upset about.

loochy
06-30-2011, 07:26 PM
There are plenty of things wrong with this country. Insisting that a public tavern doesn't include an obscenity in its name ranks pretty low on the list of things that most people get upset about.

But it's against Boston so its ok!

el borracho
06-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Fuddruckers!

JD10367
06-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Fuddruckers!

Paul Rudd is readying the lawsuit as we speak.