PDA

View Full Version : News Don't speed... at all... through a work zone in Illinois

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I know there are a couple other Illinoisians on here or if you ever travel through our lovely state... starting now basically (July 1st)... anyone who drives through a freeway work zone at even 1 mph over the speed limit will get a $375 ticket mailed to them for the first offense. Second offense is $1000, a 90 day liscense suspension and points against your insurance so those rates can go up too.

Pictures will be taken of your car, plates and face and you'll find the gift from our bankrupt state in your mail.

Happy driving.

veist
06-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Makes me glad I'm not living in Chicago anymore.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
This has already passed the snopes test btw. I work in radio and we got the official statement from the state police today finally. They didn't want word to get out too soon I suppose.

Bump
06-30-2011, 10:41 PM
expect to see a lot more "work zones" with some barrels and cones but no evidence of work ever being done.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
expect to see a lot more "work zones" with some barrels and cones but no evidence of work ever being done.

No doubt.

Bugeater
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't mind these laws when THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WORKING on the roads. But this bullshit where they put up work zone signs several weeks before a project begins and then they drag their feet for months putting the last finishing touches on things in order to keep it as a work zone longer...well then it's just a fucking revenue grab.

Fish
I see no problem with this. A work zone is the last place you should be speeding.

Backwards Masking
This has already passed the snopes test btw. I work in radio and we got the official statement from the state police today finally. They didn't want word to get out too soon I suppose.

You suppose? I can imagine how much money was made off the 1 mph over people between the time this policy started and when the word was publicly announced.

You know what they say? Freedom isn't free....

Backwards Masking
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't mind these laws when THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WORKING on the roads. But this bullshit where they put up work zone signs several weeks before a project begins and then they drag their feet for months putting the last finishing touches on things in order to keep it as a work zone longer...well then it's just a ****ing revenue grab.

I like when they have a two lane highway restricted to one for four miles backed up with cops up and down the thing during 8am and 5pm rush hours and when you do actually get to the "construction" it's 10 guys, 7 of which are stadning around waving traffic through for, for 3 guys fixing potholes.

veist
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't mind these laws when THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WORKING on the roads. But this bullshit where they put up work zone signs several weeks before a project begins and then they drag their feet for months putting the last finishing touches on things in order to keep it as a work zone longer...well then it's just a fucking revenue grab.

They did that before this law was passed so yeah.

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
There should be a 3-5 mph buffer.

No speedometer is perfect.

Fish
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
You suppose? I can imagine how much money was made off the 1 mph over people between the time this policy started and when the word was publicly announced.

If you don't like it, you could always get a better job and drive on the Autobaun. You choose to drive on a highway with high fines.

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't mind these laws when THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WORKING on the roads. But this bullshit where they put up work zone signs several weeks before a project begins and then they drag their feet for months putting the last finishing touches on things in order to keep it as a work zone longer...well then it's just a fucking revenue grab.They do this shit in Ohio a lot.

Backwards Masking
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
1. If you don't like it, you could always get a better job and drive on the Autobaun.

2. You choose to drive on a highway with high fines.

1. I can get a better job, but I can't drive on an autobaun that doesn't exist.

2. I sure do!

SNR
06-30-2011, 10:50 PM
How Illannoying

Dr. Facebook Fever

Well they haven't made any yet because it starts tomorrow (15 minutes). All 8 of the Illinois stations my company owns were announcing it today but yes there will be people who have no idea and get caught.

I have no problem with strict work zone speed limit enforcement, in fact I think it's a good thing. But the fact that 1mph over by a person who was complying/slowing down as they got to the work zone and a person who is just a dipshit is different imo I find it to be a little less than fair.

But this is Illinois not a fair state.

MIAdragon

sounds about right for every road way "work zone" I've ever seen.

Bearcat
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't mind these laws when THERE ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE WORKING on the roads. But this bullshit where they put up work zone signs several weeks before a project begins and then they drag their feet for months putting the last finishing touches on things in order to keep it as a work zone longer...well then it's just a ****ing revenue grab.

Yep... on vacation, there was one place that had signs threatening a huge fine and 30 days in jail for speeding in a construction zone, and for all the miles I drove through that zone, I barely saw evidence they were working on the road, much less seeing a worker (during the day on weekdays both ways). Granted, I didn't see any cops around at the time, but I'm sure they would point out the sign to any speeder.

Guru
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM

THIS :mad:

Topeka is a damn orange barrel zone right now and it is really pissing me off.

EDIT

Oh and I am also sick of seeing the signs stating "Your dollars hard at work" How much of our dollars was wasted on your damn ad campaign for making our streets worse than they already were.

Hog Rider
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Why do they call it a "work zone" when half the mf'ers aren't doin' anything?

Anyway, I always slow down to the posted speed limit - nevertheless, Quinn is a "dick-head"

from the heart of Illinois

JP

Fish
1. I can get a better job, but I can't drive on an autobaun that doesn't exist.

2. I sure do!

1. Of course the Autobaun exists. It's as popular as private parks. They're all over. I don't understand why you are complaining.

2. I'm just trying to help you.

KCrockaholic
I think it's funny how when Olathe does DUI checkpoints they put up signs that say road construction ahead, and things like that. Then you get closer and see hundreds of cops along the road. I'm sure that's how it is everywhere else though too.

Yes I know this is off topic.

Backwards Masking
06-30-2011, 10:55 PM
1. Of course the Autobaun exists. It's as popular as private parks. They're all over. I don't understand why you are complaining.

2. I'm just trying to help you.

1. Cause I like the idea of an autobaun.

2. Thanks!

rockymtnchief
06-30-2011, 10:57 PM

I'll agree with that part 100%. I wont argue there.

However, if you've ever worked along side the road you'd understand why it should be enforced heavily. That tiny little pebble that cracks your windshield so easily is annoying as hell when it hits you in the ear hole. Yup, you didn't know you did it, but I did. And the dipshit that doesn't slow down at all...and swerves to miss slow traffic always ends up going to the shoulder where you're standing.

There is actually a lot of science that goes into sign and flagger placement. If a wreck happens, believe it or not, highway patrol may look at the construction sign placement before looking at the wreck because of liability issues.

bowener

My favorite is when you drive through a 20+ mile long work zone where they are only doing work on a 100 yard section at most, but its single lane the whole fucking way. I've run into this a lot in the Dakotas on I29 the last few summers.

DaFace
I admittedly know nothing about this, but it sounds like much ado about nothing to me. Technically, they can ALWAYS pull you over for going 1 mph over. The construction zone thing isn't special in that regard. But they'll still lose in court because radar guns aren't precise enough to prove guilt at only 1-2 mph over.

The fines are steep, but I'm OK with that.

rockymtnchief
06-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Agreed. No leeway is stupid.

Backwards Masking
06-30-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll agree with that part 100%. I wont argue there.

However, if you've ever worked along side the road you'd understand why it should be enforced heavily. That tiny little pebble that cracks your windshield so easily is annoying as hell when it hits you in the ear hole. Yup, you didn't know you did it, but I did. And the dipshit that doesn't slow down at all...and swerves to miss slow traffic always ends up going to the shoulder where you're standing.

There is actually a lot of science that goes into sign and flagger placement. If a wreck happens, believe it or not, highway patrol may look at the construction sign placement before looking at the wreck because of liability issues.

Yep. Construction workers are just people doing their jobs in these scenarios. So are the police. It's the policitans that collaborate the two whether they like it or not for the sake of frustrating drivers (endandering workers) and bilking them of their hard earned money (which contributes to a distrust of law enforcement) that are the real criminals.

Backwards Masking
06-30-2011, 11:03 PM

This x 1000.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I admittedly know nothing about this, but it sounds like much ado about nothing to me. Technically, they can ALWAYS pull you over for going 1 mph over. The construction zone thing isn't special in that regard. But they'll still lose in court because radar guns aren't precise enough to prove guilt at only 1-2 mph over.

The fines are steep, but I'm OK with that.

You won't get off in Illinois. This state is broke and they look for reasons to pull you over. You can't prove their radar gun was wrong and you're going to pay the ticket.

I got a no seat belt ticket and took photo evidence to traffic court proving that the officer who said my daughter wasn't wearing her seat belt was wrong. They never looked at it. I got off only because the officer didn't show up to court... but we waited 20 minutes for him and the prosecutor actually called the station to see if he was on his way. He was off that day and didn't show so they let me go. You think they would have waited 20 minutes to convict me if I was late? You think they'd have called me to see if I was on my way? I'd have paid the ticket and probably another for failure to appear.

rockymtnchief
06-30-2011, 11:12 PM
BTW...somedays, I hate to admit it, I wish they'd make the speed limit FASTER through work zones. All the rubberneckers wouldn't be slowing down to 5 mph and gawking at what you're working on and causing rear end collisions that shut the whole road down.

Same goes for school zones. Make them 65 mph so the pedos cant stalk their prey. Anyone going less than 55 goes directly to jail. (sarcasm)

Frazod
06-30-2011, 11:32 PM
My favorite is when you drive through a 20+ mile long work zone where they are only doing work on a 100 yard section at most, but its single lane the whole fucking way. I've run into this a lot in the Dakotas on I29 the last few summers.

And then when you get to that 100 yard section, the lazy cocksuckers are all standing around smoking.

I'll have to check on this - nothing the Peoples Republik of Illinois does at this point would surprise me.

The good thing is that the automatic photo radar is easily picked up by a radar detector.

SNR
06-30-2011, 11:42 PM
My favorite is when you drive through a 20+ mile long work zone where they are only doing work on a 100 yard section at most, but its single lane the whole fucking way. I've run into this a lot in the Dakotas on I29 the last few summers.That stretch of fucking nothing interstate from Watertown, SD to Fargo, ND is just killer. And that's also conveniently the section they are always repairing.

Driving that makes you wish you had a sound barrier-breaking vehicle. But nope. You have to go 45 in that 10 miles of construction

Guru
06-30-2011, 11:50 PM
You won't get off in Illinois. This state is broke and they look for reasons to pull you over. You can't prove their radar gun was wrong and you're going to pay the ticket.

I got a no seat belt ticket and took photo evidence to traffic court proving that the officer who said my daughter wasn't wearing her seat belt was wrong. They never looked at it. I got off only because the officer didn't show up to court... but we waited 20 minutes for him and the prosecutor actually called the station to see if he was on his way. He was off that day and didn't show so they let me go. You think they would have waited 20 minutes to convict me if I was late? You think they'd have called me to see if I was on my way? I'd have paid the ticket and probably another for failure to appear.

They let you off? Here in Topeka they fucking reschedule the hearing when the officer doesn't show up. BUT, if YOU don't show up, wellllll... thats another story.

OnTheWarpath58
07-01-2011, 07:06 AM
And then when you get to that 100 yard section, the lazy cocksuckers are all standing around smoking.

I'll have to check on this - nothing the Peoples Republik of Illinois does at this point would surprise me.

The good thing is that the automatic photo radar is easily picked up by a radar detector.

I'm actually considering picking one up. That, or taking the fucking train to Chicago next month, otherwise the trip is going to take forever. Last time we came up, over 125 miles of a 300 mile trip were work zones - 45 MPH.

Saulbadguy
07-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Wrong. You really think that law enforcement is in cahoots with the construction/maintenance department?

ReynardMuldrake
07-01-2011, 07:31 AM

You're lucky. When the trooper who was supposed to appear no-showed on my court date, all they did was schedule another one.

ILChief
07-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Why do they call it a "work zone" when half the mf'ers aren't doin' anything?

Anyway, I always slow down to the posted speed limit - nevertheless, Quinn is a "dick-head"

from the heart of Illinois

JP

He fits right in with Rod and Ryan

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
My favorite is when you drive through a 20+ mile long work zone where they are only doing work on a 100 yard section at most, but its single lane the whole ****ing way. I've run into this a lot in the Dakotas on I29 the last few summers.

My life. Every...single....day.

And something else, when the speed limit in a construction zone is posted at 65 why are there people that drive 55?

And yes, part of this stretch uses radar cameras. You'd be surprised how many people when driving the posted speed limit slam on the breaks when they come to one.

Frazod
07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I checked the Snopes article - the July 1 in question was last year, not today. These cameras have been in force for a while now, and the areas where they're in use are clearly identified by signs. Over the past year I've driven through numerous construction zones, following the flow of traffic which often exceeds the construction speed limit, and I've yet to get a ticket in the mail.

This is nothing new. And no, they don't issue tickets to everybody who goes 1 mile over the limit.

The stats in the Snopes article (last updated a year ago) say that since 2006, 8,000 tickets have been mailed to people who got nailed by these things. 8,000 tickets over a 3-4 year period isn't shit, considering the volume of traffic we have.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I checked the Snopes article - the July 1 in question was last year, not today. These cameras have been in force for a while now, and the areas where they're in use are clearly identified by signs. Over the past year I've driven through numerous construction zones, following the flow of traffic which often exceeds the construction speed limit, and I've yet to get a ticket in the mail.

This is nothing new. And no, they don't issue tickets to everybody who goes 1 mile over the limit.

The stats in the Snopes article (last updated a year ago) say that since 2006, 8,000 tickets have been mailed to people who got nailed by these things. 8,000 tickets over a 3-4 year period isn't shit, considering the volume of traffic we have.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Like I said the release from the State Patrol came to us yesterday and said it started today. That release did say that some were already in use. It's apparently state wide now.

OnTheWarpath58
07-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Like I said the release from the State Patrol came to us yesterday and said it started today. I'm sure you saw what you saw... I also saw what I saw.

I'm guessing you're both right, and that the State Police re-issues the notice every year on July 1st - right before the holiday.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm guessing you're both right, and that the State Police re-issues the notice every year on July 1st - right before the holiday.

As well as my edit above... because I went back and looked... some were in use before... apparently it's state wide now. Was news to us in my part of the state. Just hoping to save a few people a few bucks.

Swanman
07-01-2011, 08:55 AM
If my memory is correct, the huge fines started after there were a few terrible incidents with workers getting killed. The common denominator, as I remember it, wasn't necessarily speed. It was that the drivers who killed workers were driving drunk. The real problem is that you have people with 3-4 dui's still driving. Make the drunk driving penalties a lot more steep and you solve the problem more effectively than retarded fines for going 50 in a 45. But that wouldn't raise revenue for the assholes in our state to spend corruptly.

DJ's left nut
07-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I know there are a couple other Illinoisians on here or if you ever travel through our lovely state... starting now basically (July 1st)... anyone who drives through a freeway work zone at even 1 mph over the speed limit will get a $375 ticket mailed to them for the first offense. Second offense is $1000, a 90 day liscense suspension and points against your insurance so those rates can go up too.

Pictures will be taken of your car, plates and face and you'll find the gift from our bankrupt state in your mail.

Happy driving.

Good for Illinois.

I mean hell, they've already started stealing from charities to pay off their budget deficit (yes, this is actually true; they're diverting charitable tax donations into 'loans' to general revenue), why not just go to outright gouging your citizens?

Next up - $1,000 fine for drinking spoiled milk.

Easy 6
07-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Welcome to Illinois! Now Go **** Yourself!

listopencil
07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
They do a similar thing in Cali but I haven't ever seen cops hanging out there without "workers" present. And I'm sure they have the extra 30,000 "workers" holding signs because too many dipshits went flying through a work zone, two feet from a fellow human being, and got off because their scumbag lawyers argued for it. "My client couldn't have possibly known what was going on. There were only 73 signs posted and 200 sign wavers. That's clearly not enough."

I hate bullshit speed traps and such but out here (Cali) it's a corrupt judicial system vs. an underfunded public works system, often with the people out on the work sites caught in the middle. Too bad our DMV fees get hijacked by every level of government in the state or maybe it wouldn't take 50 years to fix a road.

HemiEd
07-01-2011, 10:43 AM
If my memory is correct, the huge fines started after there were a few terrible incidents with workers getting killed. The common denominator, as I remember it, wasn't necessarily speed. It was that the drivers who killed workers were driving drunk. The real problem is that you have people with 3-4 dui's still driving. Make the drunk driving penalties a lot more steep and you solve the problem more effectively than retarded fines for going 50 in a 45. But that wouldn't raise revenue for the assholes in our state to spend corruptly.

I am not sure how much stiffer you can make the DUI fines. They are pretty darn strong now, life changing for a lot of people.

The problem is, if a person drinks, their decision making is impaired. So they usually make bad decisions. After the first DUI, they should have that breathalizer hooked up to the car, so it won't run unless the driver passes the test.

HemiEd
07-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Good for Illinois.

I mean hell, they've already started stealing from charities to pay off their budget deficit (yes, this is actually true; they're diverting charitable tax donations into 'loans' to general revenue), why not just go to outright gouging your citizens?

Next up - $1,000 fine for drinking spoiled milk.

Well the place is run by democrats, what do you expect?

Okie_Apparition
07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I didn't catch the state, maybe Kansas. No more blowing in a tube for a DUI, it's a blood test that will cost you $200. All up to the patrolman's discretion of who needs it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Well the place is run by democrats, what do you expect?

LOL.... you're right our Republican Governor Ryan was so much better. Ya know, the one who went to jail.

Swanman
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I am not sure how much stiffer you can make the DUI fines. They are pretty darn strong now, life changing for a lot of people.

The problem is, if a person drinks, their decision making is impaired. So they usually make bad decisions. After the first DUI, they should have that breathalizer hooked up to the car, so it won't run unless the driver passes the test.

The fact that you can even keep your license at all after a 3rd or 4th dui blows my mind. I think in Great Britain you pretty much lose your license for life after 1 dui. Granted that's a bit harsh but there is a middle ground.

Brock
07-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I didn't catch the state, maybe Kansas. No more blowing in a tube for a DUI, it's a blood test that will cost you $200. All up to the patrolman's discretion of who needs it.

Platte Co, Missouri. I don't know that you have to pay for it if you're clean. I doubt it.

Demonpenz
07-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I hate kc traffic

I drove for 10 miles on I-70 through work ahead, and the only work being done was putting up the "work ahead" signs.

then this fat bitch asked me "How far am I away from 435?" I told her "oh.... about a couple of hot dogs"

HemiEd
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
LOL.... you're right our Republican Governor Ryan was so much better. Ya know, the one who went to jail.

And that is different than the other Illinois Governers in what way, the fact that he was a Republican?

The fact that you can even keep your license at all after a 3rd or 4th dui blows my mind. I think in Great Britain you pretty much lose your license for life after 1 dui. Granted that's a bit harsh but there is a middle ground.

I know of one guy that got two of them, and it took three years to get it back. One, is pretty much a mulligan (lots of money and time), if you do all the right things, but I am not sure anyone gets their license back after 3, or at least I haven't heard of it.

3 years, driving on a purchased bogus license, should be enough punishment for anyone. :D Not sure what he would do now, since Rod and Ryan are gone.

Valiant
07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Have thekids paintball the cameras.

As for modot, those worthless turds deserve to get hit. They can blame politicians all they want for doing what they d. But bottom line is 75% don't do shit when on the job. Get paid 20+ an hour to stand there wit there dicks in each other hands. Don't fix shit, just repatch a hole that will degrade in 4 months. Same with the roads, maybe use some concrete that will last a decade instead of that tar/tireshit that does not last a year.

Then the fact they will block off 100% more space then needed. Well we are fixing a ten foot spot we need 3 days and two miles.

Sorry, no sympathy for modot workers.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
And that is different than the other Illinois Governers in what way, the fact that he was a Republican?

Your comment was pointed at the Dems by name so I was just pointing out the Reps aren't any better... they all suck. But I have no interest in taking this to DC so I'm off the topic now.