PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Gladiator Round 1, Match 1: alnorth vs. trndobrd

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 01:27 PM
alnorth:

BB gun with 50 BBs, each of which is coated with enough poison to slow a person down by 4 percentage points

Backup bowie knife

Prep Time: 73 seconds

trndbrd

Bowie knife (drew this as main weapon)

Special Factor: You have a really bad and painful sunburn

Prep Time: 13 seconds

Venue:

In free-fall at 20,000 feet, with parachutes, and with a snake and gator-filled swamp below you. Initial distance: 500 feet apart.

To figure out what's going on, go to Post 152 in this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246386

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
ROFL

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Are we to assume that they can maneuver around with the parachutes? Or are they just stuck where ever the wind takes them?

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I figure they can do whatever their real-person training lets them do. We'll assume that they're in the maneuverable parachutes. I don't know if either has ever skydived, though, or how well a rookie can maneuver them.

SuperChief
07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
The prep time, along with the venue and situation make this an easy one for trndbrd

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
The prep time, along with the venue and situation make this an easy one for trndbrd

How so?

If I'm alnorth....I'm shooting holes in his parachute.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't know how tough either of these guys are in a swamp with knives, but trndobrd has no shelter from the BBs on the way down and is sunburned to boot. Plus, alnorth has a little more time to plan a strategy. Gotta go with alnorth on this one.

SuperChief
07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
With a BB gun, given the situation, how accurate can alnorth be? How effective can a BB be with that sort of air resistance?

EDIT: Also, I misread the prep time for each person. Fuck.

loochy
Yeah, but TRNBRD can just free fall without using his parachute and he will be able to catch alnorth, latch on, and stab alnorth. Alnorth probably won't be able to hit anything with his BB gun wile drifting around in the air.

TNRBRD wins this one.

Detoxing
How so?

If I'm alnorth....I'm shooting holes in his parachute.

Alnorth takes this one.

He can shoot him up with poison. By the time trndobrd manuvers to him to stab him he'l already be feeling the effects of the poison. Besides, Alnorth also has a knife, so he has an equal chance at stabbing.

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, but TRNBRD can just free fall without using his parachute and he will be able to catch alnorth, latch on, and stab alnorth. Alnorth probably won't be able to hit anything with his BB gun wile drifting around in the air.

TNRBRD wins this one.

So Alnorth can't hit anything with his BB gun....but TRNBRD can free fall, latch on to his parachute and stab him to death? :rolleyes:

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
With a BB gun, given the situation, how accurate can alnorth be? How effective can a BB be with that sort of air resistance?

EDIT: Also, I misread the prep time for each person. ****.

Yeah, that's a good point. I wonder if he'd wait until he hit ground to use the BBs. I think it'd be too tempting to shoot in the open air, though.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Never take a knife to a bb gun fight.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
The BB gun gives an unfair advantage. Winner: alnorth.

Detoxing
07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The BB gun gives an unfair advantage. Winner: alnorth.

The wind resistance is a good point and one that I considered. But if each BB give a -4% movement, then it only takes a few shots to really slow him down. When it hits the swamp, it'll be a straight up knife fight...and a slower TRNDOBRD is easy game.

Pants
07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The sunburn makes this a complete gimme for alnorth, IMO. Sunburn makes you move at about 20% of your actual speed while still hurting like a mother****er everywhere. Getting stung by a BB whilst sunburned? No, thanks.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Unless they are on top of one another, or at least able to reach one another (if so, chutes will get tangled upon deployment and they both die) this is a zero damage fight.

:facepalm:

You can't slash a guy at 20,000 feet unless you can reach him (see above) and BBs don't fly well at terminal velocity.

:shake:

Personally I'm praying for double parachute failure and the snakes and gators get lunch.

:D

Why the hell isn't that an option anyway? :mad:

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm afraid the sunburn is the deciding factor here. Just another example of the need to always wear sunscreen.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 01:45 PM

TNRBRD wins this one.

I'm thinking alnorth free falls below trndbrd, shoots up into him. Each BB is 4% slowdown and he has 50 of them. If if he can even hit with 10/25 on the way down and hit 10/25 on the ground, trnbrd is slowed by 80%. That's a substantial advantage in a knife fight.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Unless they are on top of one another, or at least able to reach one another (if so, chutes will get tangled upon deployment and they both die) this is a zero damage fight.

You can't slash a guy at 20,000 feet unless you can reach him (see above) and BBs don't fly well at terminal velocity.

Personally I'm praying for double parachute failure and the snakes and gators get lunch.

You don't have to outrun the gator/snake, you just have to outrun the other guy. And the other guy is slowed down by poison. Even if alnorth eventually gets eaten anyway, he wins the fight.

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM

You do realize that they can fight once they get into the swamp right?

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm thinking alnorth free falls below trndbrd, shoots up into him. Each BB is 4% slowdown and he has 50 of them. If if he can even hit with 10/25 on the way down and hit 10/25 on the ground, trnbrd is slowed by 80%. That's a substantial advantage in a knife fight.They're BB's, not pellets. I'm guessing for the poison to be effective alnorth would have to hit bare skin.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
You do realize that they can fight once they get into the swamp right?
Well, ... there's that, ...

I'd be more afraid of being gator bait than having a sunburned, knife wielding tard chasing me.

:p

loochy
So Alnorth can't hit anything with his BB gun....but TRNBRD can free fall, latch on to his parachute and stab him to death? :rolleyes:

Yeah dude. You can manuver around and free fall. I'm assuming alnorth will pop his parachute early so he has a better shot at hitting something with his bb gun.

SuperChief
...who can shoot a BB gun accurately with the sort of velocity? The BB gun is getting too much emphasis, here. It's completely ineffective. During free fall, no shots can connect. After the free fall, there will be substantial water damage, rendering it useless. It's simply a one-on-one knife fight after that.

Also, the swamp water will have a cooling sensation on trndbrd's sunburn, giving him the comfort advantage.

Game over.

EDIT: The gun, however, can be used as a projectile. Interesting twist...

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Interesting idea.

If I'm Alnorth.....I'd wait until trndobrd is by a gator.....and then I'd start pegging the gator with the BBs. Piss that bitch off.

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2011, 01:51 PM
...who can shoot a BB gun accurately with the sort of velocity? The BB gun is getting too much emphasis, here. It's completely ineffective. During free fall, no shots can connect. After the free fall, there will be substantial water damage, rendering it useless. It's simply a one-on-one knife fight after that.

Also, the swamp water will have a cooling sensation on trndbrd's sunburn, giving him the comfort advantage.

Game over.

Because everybody knows that swamp water is just like Aloe.

4th and Long
You don't have to outrun the gator/snake, you just have to outrun the other guy. And the other guy is slowed down by poison. Even if alnorth eventually gets eaten anyway, he wins the fight.
I had no idea that ending up as a gator turd was considered a victory. ROFL

Pants
Are people on CP not familiar with sunburns? There's not even a need for the BBs, trnb is hindered enough.

Detoxing
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Game over.

Ok, assuming that they are both free falling and wearing neon green wind breakers, Alnorth will have to shoot him in the face in order to make use of his BB gun. But if he could even get 4 out of 50 shots to touch skin, that's a speed decrease of 16%. That's pretty sizable in knife fight.

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah dude. You can manuver around and free fall. I'm assuming alnorth will pop his parachute early so he has a better shot at hitting something with his bb gun.If he does that he'll never catch him. trnbrd would be waiting for him when he lands and shove that knife right up his goesinta.

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
It feels a little odd to be determining the fate of two people when they're not around.

SuperChief
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Are people on CP not familiar with sunburns? There's not even a need for the BBs, trnb is hindered enough.

I just had the worst one of my life thus far from my trip to SD - fight vs. flight would take over, dude. It's not THAT bad.

SuperChief
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Also, you'd have to think that while Alnorth is trying to maneuver his way towards trndbrd, trndbrd will be fleeing while in the air to avod the BBs. Equal manuverability advantage, there.

Pants
07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Also, you'd have to think that while Alnorth is trying to maneuver his way towards trndbrd, trndbrd will be fleeing while in the air to avod the BBs. Equal manuverability advantage, there.

You've never had a sunburn that makes your skin tight and makes you swell up in places? A real bad and painful sunburn = you're fucked no matter what.

Sofa King
07-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Alnorth wins. prep time doesn't matter in that short amount of time.

They both have a bowie knife, so that's a draw. once 73 seconds is up, game over. it'll take 73 seconds just to fall and get shute off, easily.

He can plink with the bb gun til he gets too close or he runs outta ammo, in which case the other dude is pretty much motionless.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
it'll take 73 seconds just to fall and get shute off, easily.
Well shute, ... errr, ... chute, ... errr, ...shoot.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok, assuming that they are both free falling and wearing neon green wind breakers, Alnorth will have to shoot him in the face in order to make use of his BB gun. But if he could even get 4 out of 50 shots to touch skin, that's a speed decrease of 16%. That's pretty sizable in knife fight.

..but gear wasn't specified. The scenario begins in free fall so you can assume that a lot of skin is covered, true. But yeah, 4% per hit is a huge advantage and he can save half his shots for the ground fight.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
..but gear wasn't specified. The scenario begins in free fall so you can assume that a lot of skin is covered,
Or you can assume they are buck ass naked.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Alnorth wins. prep time doesn't matter in that short amount of time.

They both have a bowie knife, so that's a draw. once 73 seconds is up, game over. it'll take 73 seconds just to fall and get shute off, easily.

He can plink with the bb gun til he gets too close or he runs outta ammo, in which case the other dude is pretty much motionless.

Aha. That's a brilliant strategy. If alnorth can hit the ground first, trndobrd is a sitting duck in that last bit of time.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM

Game over.

Depends on the BB gun. I'm assuming it's an "adult" BB gun. That means substantial air pressure and it's not going to malfunction on landing. As long as it isn't clogged with mud/debris up the barrel you are good to go. Not to mention that with minimal skill you can put distance between you and your target. So alnorth has a ranged wep with melee backup and trnbrd has no ranged wep, only melee. trnbrd's only chance is to use a combination of ninja skills and berzerker attacks on the ground. With the reduced speed on ANY hit...trnbrd is toast.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Or you can assume they are buck ass naked.

I like that. "Grab your 'nads, boys! That wind shear will rip yer nuts right off of you!"

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
The gear thing is a good point. We should probably assume that combatants are in street clothes plus any gear that's normal for their environment (in this case, for example, a helmet and harness stuff).

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Depends on the BB gun. I'm assuming it's an "adult" BB gun.
This BB gun thing has the potential to backfire.
http://silverliningopticians.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/316355152_e19b815bcd3.jpg
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

SuperChief
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
This BB gun thing has the potential to backfire.
http://silverliningopticians.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/316355152_e19b815bcd3.jpg
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Brilliant.

Bump
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
alnorth shoots at him and poison's him while they are coming towards each other, haha, I said cumming. Then alnorth cuts the shoots with his bowie knife while the other dude who I never heard of is slowed from the poison. But they both gonna die anyways, they dropping in a gator pit and them gators be hungry.

Sofa King
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
What if they both fall on their knives and get eaten by garter snakes?

Detoxing
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
So this match is pretty much decided.

NEXT.

SNR
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
It's all about options. trndobrd at his BEST luck would wind up in close range combat on the ground bowie knife vs bowie knife. And the odds of that happening are... eh...

alnorth

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
The gear thing is a good point. We should probably assume that combatants are in street clothes plus any gear that's normal for their environment (in this case, for example, a helmet and harness stuff).

So if they're in their street clothes they probably have their normal carry-along items such as a wallet or tech device, correct?

So in theory, trndobrd could use his cell phone to call his jetplane army buddies fly by and shoot alnorth out of the sky, correct?

Sofa King
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
So if they're in their street clothes they probably have their normal carry-along items such as a wallet or tech device, correct?

So in theory, trndobrd could use his cell phone to call his jetplane army buddies fly by and shoot alnorth out of the sky, correct?

You're bored aren't you....

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Imagine trndobrd's surprise when he realizes the tournament started and he's already dead.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Imagine trndobrd's surprise when he realizes the tournament started and he's already dead.

Yeah, he should've used sunscreen.

Old Dog
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
alnorth in a win vs trndobrd but the gators are gonna get him too

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
alnorth in a win vs trndobrd but the gators are gonna get him too

"Gators get them both" should have been a third option

Count Alex's Losses
07-01-2011, 04:12 PM
The sunburn making his skin scream in agony, trndobrd rips the cord on his parachute, only to draw his knife and slice the straps off. He welcomes the soothing coolness of the swamp on his epidermis as he plunges into the watery depths. His relief is enjoyed only momentarily as an alligator eats him. Witnessing the carnage, alnorth chuckles and says to himself, "Red 5 will tell this tale long after we are all dead and gone."

WINNER: ALNORTH

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I hadn't thought about this before, but another good strategy for either of them would be to try to get close and cut the other guy's parachute cords or parachute fabric. That'd be a great way for trndbrd to offset alnorth's advantages. At that point it wouldn't matter if he took a few poison BB's.

Pants
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I hadn't thought about this before, but another good strategy for either of them would be to try to get close and cut the other guy's parachute cords or parachute fabric. That'd be a great way for trndbrd to offset alnorth's advantages. At that point it wouldn't matter if he took a few poison BB's.

That's why you open your chute at the very last moment. DUH!

AndChiefs
07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Poor trndobrd.

Baconeater
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Hmmm...trndobrd has one less weapon...and is sunburned to boot? This isn't even close.

alnorth
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I had no idea that ending up as a gator turd was considered a victory. ROFL

Eh, I'll take it. Getting eaten by a gator 2nd is still a victory.

trndobrd got pretty well screwed by the random number generator. Less prep time, no weapon disadvantage, and horribly sunburned.

Rain Man
07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Okay, calling the fight in favor of alnorth.

Good fight, trndobrd. You just caught a tough break or two.

trndobrd
07-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Okay, calling the fight in favor of alnorth.

Good fight, trndobrd. You just caught a tough break or two.

Helluva a way to start off the 4th of July weekend. Probably too late for a recount since the thumb of Rainmanimus Maximus has pointed down, but....

Accurately shooting a BB gun during a freefall would be nearly impossible and once the chutes open, Alnorth would be able to EITHER shoot OR control his canopy, but not both at the same time. Having done some fencing and knife training, I'm OK with the Bowie knives.

You didn't specify if it was a really bad blistery sunburn or one of those that is kind of pink, then turns tan in a couple days. I really hope it was the latter.