PDA

View Full Version : Music Chuck Berry Statue Put Up in St. Louis

gblowfish
07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
One of Missouri's greatest artists, right up there with Mark Twain and Thomas Hart Benton. New statue just put up in University City across from Chuck's club "Blueberry Hill." Some cranky little old lady was fighting it, because Chuck "Was a Convicted Felon." Yeah, sixty years ago. Jeez...

Rock n Roll IS Chuck Berry. Great for Chuck, Great for Missouri. Story:

The man considered "The Father of Rock and Roll" now has a permanent tribute to him in University City.

An 8 foot bronze statue of Chuck Berry was installed in the Loop early Friday morning in a plaza across the street from Blueberry Hill, where Berry still performs once a month.

"I'm going to brag. They got a statue of my dad in U City," an excited Charles Berry Jr. told University City Patch after the installation. "My dad, he's the coolest dude on the planet to me."

Berry Jr. said he was overwhelmed by the beauty of the plaza and the statue.

"It's a great tribute to my father," said Berry Jr. "It's absolutely gorgeous. It exceeded my expectations."

The statue depicts a young Berry, wearing a tuxedo, guitar in hand.

"That's the way Chuck wanted it...lots of hair and a good dress," said sculptor Harry Weber, who oversaw Friday's installation of his sculpture. "I can't say my own work looks fantastic but I'm glad to see the final version of it," Weber said.

"It looks fantastic," said Joe Edwards, owner of Blueberry Hill and other Loop establishments,who helped spearheard the statue project. "You can almost feel Chuck moving even though that's a solid bronze statue."

Berry's son said University City is renowned for being an entertainment and fun mecca and the statue is yet another reason for people to come to the Loop. He said the statue adds a tremendous amount to his father's legacy.

"This is going to be a big deal," said Berry Jr.

An excited Earl Higgins of University City was on hand for the statue's installation.

"This is a wonderful day and I think the area will be changed for the positive forever because of this," said Higgins. "I think it (statue) will attract people from all over the world."

University City Raymond Moore said he's a huge fan of Berry's and woke up early to see the statue placed in the plaza.

I" think it's a great tribute to him and it's good for University City as a whole."

The statue wasn't without some obstacles. Winter weather delayed its installation for months. And more recently, a petition drive opposing the statue garnered 100 signatures.

Longtime resident and former University City Councilmember Elsie Glickert argued that the statue should not be placed on city owned property. Also, she said Berry's criminal record made him an inappropriate person to honor.

In Berry's defense, Edward noted that in 2000, Berry received a Kennedy Center Honor, considered by most to be the highest honor an artist can receive in America.

Berry has done stints in prison for robbery and prostitution violations. And in the 1980s, he settled a civil suit brought by women who accused him of videotaping them in the bathroom of his Wentzville restaurant.

"Let's accentuate the positive and separate the man's personal life from his artistic life," said Edwards. "That's what we're here to honor, not anything else."

The official dedication of the statue is slated for July 29 at 10:00am. Chuck Berry and his family will attend the ceremony.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2011, 02:01 PM
When does the "Nelly" statue go up?

ClevelandBronco
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm no particular fan of Berry, but he played better than the artist sculpts. That's for sure.

gblowfish
07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Some of my friends say the statue looks more like Andy Griffith than Chuck. Oh well, if you've ever seen the Stan Musial statue in St. Louis, you know that likeness is not a big deal when it comes to St. Louis statues...

BigCatDaddy
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I really liked the Gong Show.

Backwards Masking
07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm no particular fan of Berry, but he played better than the artist sculpts. That's for sure.

Not disagreeing it could have come a lot closer to looking like Chuck, but could you have done better? Sculpture, especially on that scale, is some HARD f**kin work.

ClevelandBronco
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Not disagreeing it could have come a lot closer to looking like Chuck, but could you have done better? Sculpture, especially on that scale, is some HARD f**kin work.

Well, yeah. Actually I could, but I get your point. You just asked the wrong guy.

-King-
07-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Real King of Rock and Roll

Cave Johnson
07-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Is he depicted peeping at a womens bathroom?

Backwards Masking
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Well, yeah. Actually I could, but I get your point. You just asked the wrong guy.

Awesome. I've never done a small one, ylet alone a big one, but glad to hear you're creative. And yes it is hard work, I've known several sculptors from jobs and art schools. My dad's actually working on a commission sculpture that's much bigger (and better!) than Chuck. I'll email or post some pics when he's through. I also have along the way pics.

I'm a painter, so we can make fun of each other's medium like I do with my sculptor freinds lol! That's 1/25th of one of my paintings in my avatar. The original is a 40" x 30", very detailed. I'll soon have my website, facebook and blog set up in the next month, been working on my collection and online promotion since 2004, so i'm excited.

Good luck on future projects.

Buck
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Everyone in St. Louis should go rub that statue's crotch. He wants you to.

Easy 6
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM

No doubt, it looks like Lloyd Bridges.

threebag02
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
When does the "Nelly" statue go up?

As soon as Iron Mike moves his pigeons to Missouri.

gblowfish
07-01-2011, 07:42 PM

It would have been a cooler statue if he was duck walkin...

Fruit Ninja
07-01-2011, 07:50 PM

The ones outside of the staples center are all really nice. They look like the person they were crafted after.

Psyko Tek
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
It would have been a cooler statue if he was duck walkin...

YUP
and I think it looks like mark twain with a guitar
cool image but not chuck berry

the GOD EMPEROR OF ROCK AND ROLL
only one close is buddy holly

elvis is a singer
with really good pr

Garcia Bronco
07-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Congrats Chuck

"left my home in Norfolk Virginia...."

Huffman83
07-02-2011, 06:30 AM
It's only a matter of time for the Ike Turner statue!

Fat Elvis
07-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't know why, but I pictured Chuck Barris when I read the thread title.

Ebolapox
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
statue looks like michael landon having a screaming orgasm with guitar in hand.

Okie_Apparition
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Can't wait for the Eric Berry statue in KC. The battle of the Berry statues is just what this state needs to keep the hate alive

Dave Lane
07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
It's St Louis, I hope they sculpted it out of fukushima waste rods...

gblowfish
07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Congrats Chuck

"left my home in Norfolk Virginia...."

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cK6MElklfvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>