PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Gladiator Round 1, Match 2: listopencil vs. MOhillbilly

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
listopencil:

M-1 Garand semiautomatic rifle with bayonet (8 bullets)

No backup knife

Prep Time: 19 seconds

MOhillbilly

Saturday Night Special .22 semiautomatic handgun (6 shot, 6 bullets)

No backup knife

Prep Time: 67 seconds

Venue:

A "Robot Wars" cage with 4 armored and bladed robots battling it out, all completely oblivious to your presence in the cage. (30x54 asphalt rectangle, starting 54 feet apart)

No special factors

As a rule going forward, let's assume that everybody is handed their weapon when the clock starts, so we don't have two guys with guns aiming ahead of time and killing each other in the first second.

As a clarification to everybody, "prep time" is the time before the match starts where a person enters the venue, learns about the weapons and the starting distance, and learns about any special factors. That gives them time to strategize.

So in this case, mohillbilly is in the arena looking at the robots, learning about his and listopencil's weapons 67 seconds before he is handed his weapon.

46 seconds later (at T minus 19 seconds), listopencil enters the other side of the arena and does his learning.

They then each get their weapons at the same moment.

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I would think Mo's death stare would be enough.

ClevelandBronco
07-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Don't shoot him, listo. It'll only piss him off.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
This is an odd one where I think the weapon that would generally be considered the better weapon may not match the venue. Starting 54 feet apart, I think you might want the cheap handgun over the bulkier rifle. Even with fewer bullets and a lower caliber, I think MOhillbilly puts more shots on target faster than listopencil with his bigger gun.

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't shoot him, listo. It'll only piss him off.ROFL Whatever listo does the first thing I'd do is distract MO by asking him how his tomatoes are doing.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not voting against Mo, he might find me and beat the shit out of me

loochy
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I've heard that there is a special spot on the back of MO's head where he can be incapacitated. If listo is a good shot, he can take out MO from distance. If he misses, it'll be like shooting a rhino with a .22.

loochy
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
This is an odd one where I think the weapon that would generally be considered the better weapon may not match the venue. Starting 54 feet apart, I think you might want the cheap handgun over the bulkier rifle. Even with fewer bullets and a lower caliber, I think MOhillbilly puts more shots on target faster than listopencil with his bigger gun.

But he doesn't...his prep time is 67 seconds.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Unless listo is a miserable shot, Mo is a dead man.

mlyonsd
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Don't forget about the robots. MO could hunker down and hide behind one during his prep time.

DJ's left nut
07-01-2011, 02:29 PM
But he doesn't...his prep time is 67 seconds.

"Prep Time" is nothing more than the pre-game warmup.

MoHillbilly was put in the cage as Listo at the same time. The match takes as long as it takes for someone to die. Mo just had another minute or so to digest his strategy. Rainman made it seem as though there is a freeze on hostilities until the prep time lapses for both parties.

I saw 'garand' and thought "Game over; sorry Mo" until I realized they were in a small cage full of vicious robots.

I see it playing out with the whistle blowing and Mo taking off in a sprint. Listo will probably waste a shot or two trying to hit the moving target. He'll have the rifle shouldered and dialing in his 3rd shot just as a lawnmower bladed robot inadvertantly takes his foot off (If anyone's ever seen those things, they're actually quite big in person). Listo simply had tunnel vision and never saw it coming.

Mo avoids a flamethrower bot just as he hears Listo's cry of anguish. He turns, sees his fallen foe and plants 3 rounds into his chest. As listo lays in shock, Mo approaches (gun raised), wrenches the rifle from Listo's hands and finishes the job.

If they were falling from an airplane and landing in a swamp - edge Listo. But the environment really !@#$ed him. Having an enclosed space full of 3rd party hazards makes a shoulder mounted long-rifle a decided disadvantage.

ClevelandBronco
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Given that MO can't get his weapons in gear for 67 seconds, I figure he takes 19 seconds to cross the cage and kill listo with his bare hands before listo can ready his weapon.

ClevelandBronco
07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
"Prep Time" is nothing more than the pre-game warmup.

MoHillbilly was put in the cage as Listo at the same time. The match takes as long as it takes for someone to die. Mo just had another minute or so to digest his strategy.

I saw 'garand' and thought "Game over; sorry Mo" until I realized they were in a small cage full of vicious robots.

I see it playing out with the whistle blowing and Mo taking off in a sprint. Listo will probably waste a shot or two trying to hit the moving target. He'll have the rifle shouldered and dialing in his 3rd shot just as a lawnmower bladed robot inadvertantly takes his foot off (If anyone's ever seen those things, they're actually quite big in person). Listo simply had tunnel vision and never saw it coming.

Mo avoids a flamethrower bot just as he hears Listo's cry of anguish. He turns, sees his fallen foe and plants 3 rounds into his chest. As listo lays in shock, Mo approaches (gun raised), wrenches the rifle from Listo's hands and finishes the job.

If they were falling from an airplane and landing in a swamp - edge Listo. But the environment really !@#$ed him. Having an enclosed space full of 3rd party hazards makes a shoulder mounted long-rifle a decided disadvantage.

Ah. Now I understand the prep time element.

KurtCobain

This is why this tourney won't work. It's a popularity contest.

If you put Bwana with a bouncy ball against an unknown n00b with a fucking bazooka, Bwana will still get enough votes to win.

SNR
I think you need to further explain the prep time aspect, Rain Man. People have different ideas of what it means.

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Unless listo is a miserable shot, Mo is a dead man.

Hard to be a good shot with angry robots trying to kill you.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
As a clarification to everybody, "prep time" is the time before the match starts where a person enters the venue, learns about the weapons and the starting distance, and learns about any special factors. That gives them time to strategize.

So in this case, mohillbilly is in the arena looking at the robots, learning about his and listopencil's weapons 67 seconds before he is handed his weapon.

46 seconds later (at T minus 19 seconds), listopencil enters the other side of the arena and does his learning.

Dayze
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM

If you put Bwana with a bouncy ball against an unknown n00b with a fucking bazooka, Bwana will still get enough votes to win.

well, yeah...
:D

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
well, yeah...
:D

That's fucking stupid.

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Hard to be a good shot with angry robots trying to kill you.
FAIL!

Learn how to read.
A "Robot Wars" cage with 4 armored and bladed robots battling it out, all completely oblivious to your presence in the cage. (30x54 asphalt rectangle, starting 54 feet apart)

Groves
07-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure MO just picks up 2 robots in each hand and jams them down LPs throat.

Then on the way back to the truck he shoots a stray cat, 2 raider fans (1 bullet), and 4 deserving hobos.

Game over. Gun empty.

4th and Long

They then each get their weapons at the same moment.
:facepalm:

KurtCobain
FAIL!

Learn how to read.

I read that. I just worded my post wrong, they're not trying to kill you, but they have a pretty good shot at doing so trying to kill each other. By time he mounts his weapon, like nut said, he probably will have a leg chopped off or atleast have been ran into by an angry little robot.

scott free
Heres how it'll go down... listo gets the action started with two shots right off the bat, one takes out the robot that Mo's hiding behind & the other grazes his arm, leaving a nasty wound.

This royally pisses Mo off, so he reaches over the cage & pulls one of the nerd robot operators in... he charges across the cage at listo using the nerd as a shield, the nerd takes two grievous, deadly shots on the way across but Mo is unscathed as he reaches listo & beats him to death with the nerds corpse.

Joe Rogan comes in & says 'great job! lets take a look at your handiwork on the monitor...'

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
That's ****ing stupid.

Nah, I think people will vote reasonably, but also taking into account a person's reputations. If it's a one on one bare-fisted fight, some of our resident tough guys are pretty clearly going to win. But if they have different weapons and different conditions affecting them, it's perfectly reasonable that the toughest one-on-one individual (which is me) won't win.

If you're in the tourney, feel free to point out your real-life strengths when your match comes up, too. If you bench 500 and run a 4.2 40, let us know. Or if you quit the SEAL team because it wasn't a challenge, let us know.

Dayze
That's fucking stupid.

I'm telling Bwana you said that.

Pestilence
Given that MO can't get his weapons in gear for 67 seconds, I figure he takes 19 seconds to cross the cage and kill listo with his bare hands before listo can ready his weapon.

This.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
:facepalm:

What? What'd I do?

DJ's left nut
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Pants
I don't see an obvious advantage or disadvantage in this case. I think MO has better maneuverability with the handgun so the edge goes to him.

SNR
Thanks, Kevin.

So in this case MOhillbilly is an adept marksman and will clearly use those extra seconds' worth of knowledge to his advantage. The terrain helps him out a whole lot and he knows it.

This one definitely goes to Mo

KurtCobain
If you bench 500 and run a 4.2 40, let us know. Or if you quit the SEAL team because it wasn't a challenge, let us know.

Well that's the whole planet.

K, whatever happens in this it should be a good ride, thanks RM, you do alot around here.

How many of these matches a night?

SNR
07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
That's fucking stupid.You're fucking stupid

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 02:46 PM

That's where I ended up. I'm not a gun expert, but it seems like 50 feet is relatively close range, and with people running and machines running, the key is to be able to maneuver your weapon quickly. At 50 feet and closing (presumably MO will be closing while listo won't, but listo can't retreat), angles will change fast. In this particular setting the handgun is an advantage even if it's not the "better weapon" in an objective sense.

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
You're fucking stupid

Well you're fucking captain obvious today, aren't you?

Pants
07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
This is a much closer match.

Almost too intense for me.

Sofa King
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Listo has this one. Rifles have far more accuracy, even at 54 feet, not to mention way way more damage. M1's are a super powerful gun, if he hits him at all, it's game over.

Plus they both have only 6 shots....

This should be a listo win, but i'm sure MO will win just based on him being him.

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
You, they're both going to be on the move dodging robots. So I figure there's a chance theycould both miss with all bullets. Then it comes down to a man fight with said weapons.

scott free
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
If i was Mo, i'd first go after Rainman for giving me a popgun 22 against a high powered rifle, he'd be better off throwing it at listo to make him miss his first shot as he charged.

Detoxing
This should be a listo win, but i'm sure MO will win just based on him being him.

This. Mo gets a few shots off but gets only some flesh wounds. Listo Puts a round right though Mo while Listo is in Second Chance. Listo dies a minute later after the robots decapitate him.

Old Dog

Saved me the effort of typing it.

Pestilence
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
How much experience does listo have with a gun?

4th and Long
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
This. Mo gets a few shots off but gets only some flesh wounds. Listo Puts a round right though Mo while Listo is in Second Chance. Listo dies a minute later after the robots decapitate him.
Actually listo dies because he's a donkey fan. They aint too durn bright! :D

DJ's left nut
07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
You, they're both going to be on the move dodging robots. So I figure there's a chance theycould both miss with all bullets. Then it comes down to a man fight with said weapons.

Ever fire, say, a Ruger MK II? It's essentially a point and play weapon. You don't really need to even use the sights unless you're shooting at a beer can. If you're shooting center mast on a person, it's pretty hard to miss.

A Saturday Night Special is going to probably weight less than a pound. Mo will be much more maneuverable and much MUCH faster acquiring his target.

The odds of missing all 6 shots from 50 feet are pretty remote if you've ever fired a handgun.

Now, have you ever fired a Garand? A legitimate M1 is likely going to have a big wooden stock. Even if the stock is composite, it's still going to have a damn heavy 'upper' (it's not really an upper on a Garand, but close enough). They're bulky, they're unwieldy and they're not terribly easy to shoot. They're not close-combat weapons by any stretch.

Seriously - folks are disregarding how much harder it would be for Listo to operate with a 10 lb rifle that's about 4 ft long.

If he wins it would be because Mo !@#$ed up. If Mo stays in any kind of constant, erratic motion, Listo's probably boned.

Pestilence
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.capitanhipower.com/Photos/M1Rifle.jpg

Douche Baggins
07-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Better accuracy and more chances to hit with the rifle ad 8 bullets. Listo takes it.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM

If that happens, advantage listo with the bayonet and essentially a spear. I don't think it'll get to that stage, though.

If I'm listo, I hang back and try to snipe MO before the distances get closer between us. I move into a corner and snipe. If I can get one good shot, I win.

If I'm MO, I use my time advantage to find a robot headed toward listo (hopefully there's one going his way) and I hide behind it while I close in. Once I'm close, I start moving laterally as quickly as possible across his range of fire, zigzagging, and empty my clip. If I keep him from getting one good shot, I win.

Douche Baggins
07-01-2011, 03:35 PM
The rifle is also an effective club if ammo runs out. Longer reach could be the deciding factor.

Pants
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
The rifle is also an effective club if ammo runs out. Longer reach could be the deciding factor.

Why would you club someone when you can stab them with a bayonet? Dumbass.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 03:49 PM
If listo can knock off mo it'll rock the entire city of Las Vegas for this whole tournament. And right now it's almost a dead heat.

Douche Baggins
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Why would you club someone when you can stab them with a bayonet? Dumbass.

The bayonet could get knocked off by a robot or something. Maybe it breaks off in Mohillbilly's filthy hide and listo has to start clubbing him.

Guru
07-01-2011, 04:14 PM

If you put Bwana with a bouncy ball against an unknown n00b with a ****ing bazooka, Bwana will still get enough votes to win.

I don't think that will be the case. I think enough of us are going to respect the rules of the competition to keep that from happening.

Bugeater
07-01-2011, 04:20 PM
This is the only right answer.

AustinChief
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Can we hurry and post matches 3 and 4... I'm ready for battle dammit!

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Can we hurry and post matches 3 and 4... I'm ready for battle dammit!

Do we want #3 already? (Looking at the audience.)

bevischief
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Don't shoot him, listo. It'll only piss him off.

ROFL

bevischief
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM

I agree.:D

Pestilence
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM

We should create a separate forum for this....and then you can post the entire first round. :D

AustinChief
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Hell yeah!!! I think we can handle 4 contests at a time! Pretty standard to run 4 at the same time during the first round of a 64 team tourney!

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Hell yeah!!! I think we can handle 4 contests at a time! Pretty standard to run 4 at the same time during the first round of a 64 team tourney!

(Grinning).....oh, okay! First four. I like seeing how they pop up.

Okie_Apparition
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't pay enough attention or am to strung out to know who any of these people are in half these polls

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
You all should be aware that I am an absolute dead solid perfect shot with a rifle. I have been since around 12 years old.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
How much experience does listo have with a gun?

Dead solid perfect with any rifle. Not so hot with a pistol at more than 25 yards, but I can lay a round in your eye socket with a rifle at any range.

Pestilence
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
You all should be aware that I am an absolute dead solid perfect shot with a rifle. I have been since around 12 years old.

That would have been nice to know before I voted.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
To be more specific: I can hold a two inch group at 100+ yards and I can quickly pop into stance for close up work. Mo's a dead man.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Sorry. The exterminator showed up for monthly spray and he's an old friend of mine. I was bullshitting with him while he sprayed. Just logged back on.

Rain Man
07-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Ah. Let's see if this lets you rally. It's a close one.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
"The M1 Garand, invented by the Canadian firearms designer John Garand, was the first semi-automatic service rifle to be adopted by the armed forces of any nation. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the rifle would serve the United States (http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_of_America) throughout World War II, Korea, and to some extent, Vietnam. It uses the .30-06 Springfield round and was accurate. It was replaced by the M14 Rifle (http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/M14_Rifle) in the late 1950s"

LOL, semi auto? Dead man walking, Mo.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Do you know what a .22 would do to me? Even at semi auto? It would just piss me off enough to make me put my third shot into your nuts after I double tapped your forehead.

Pants
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Do you know what a .22 would do to me? Even at semi auto? It would just piss me off enough to make me put my third shot into your nuts after I double tapped your forehead.

Too bad I had already voted.

Sorry. :(

listopencil
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Too bad I had already voted.

Sorry. :(

Ah well. Had I been online I would have pointed out that I was born in Virginia (lived in rural areas) where my Grandpa was a Game Warden. Then moved to Texas where my step family were all MP's. Then back to Virginia. Then to Colorado with my biological father who was an avid hunter and lifetime NRA member. I have his muzzle loader now that he has passed away, we ate some nice venison dishes courtesy of that gun and my father's aim. He used to take me out to the range for target practice every Saturday. I never did get a chance to go hunting with him as he wouldn't allow anyone under 25 on those trips and I joined the Navy out of High School.

Pants
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Ah well. Had I been online I would have pointed out that I was born in Virginia (lived in rural areas) where my Grandpa was a Game Warden. Then moved to Texas where my step family were all MP's. Then back to Virginia. Then to Colorado with my biological father who was an avid hunter and lifetime NRA member. I have his muzzle loader now that he has passed away, we ate some nice venison dishes courtesy of that gun and my father's aim. He used to take me out to the range for target practice every Saturday. I never did get a chance to go hunting with him as he wouldn't allow anyone under 25 on those trips and I joined the Navy out of High School.

Yeah, lol, you should probably be winning this in a landslide, then.

AustinChief
07-01-2011, 05:18 PM

No joke.

alnorth
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
To be more specific: I can hold a two inch group at 100+ yards and I can quickly pop into stance for close up work. Mo's a dead man.

woops. I'd change my vote if I could.

Think next time I'll read more than page 1 before voting.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
woops. I'd change my vote if I could.

Think next time I'll read more than page 1 before voting.

Argh. Railroaded, I tell ya, railroaded I was. Ah well. At least I won't have any bugs in my house.

KurtCobain
07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Tough luck listo, sad to hear you're dead.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Tough luck listo, sad to hear you're dead.

I'll be waiting for the zombie rematch round.

DeezNutz
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM

How many times have you fired with a blood-crazed hillbilly rushing you with everything (your life) on the line?

listopencil
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
How many times have you fired with a blood-crazed hillbilly rushing you with everything (your life) on the line?

I'd have 19 seconds to stand there and my plan my first shot. It would be over pretty quickly. Hillbillys don't scare me. My Mom's side of the family ran moonshine down from the hills of western Virginia. I'm half hillbilly.

DeezNutz
07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm half hillbilly.

:hmmm: Blood vs. blood in this round.

Completely flawed poll, Rainman.

listopencil
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
:hmmm: Blood vs. blood in this round.

Completely flawed poll, Rainman.

Yep. I'm probably related to him.

Bump
07-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I'd think a sat night special in close quarters would be better than the COD rifle. Plus, ya know, it's motherfuckin MoHillbilly yo.

Rain Man
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Okay, calling the fight in favor of MOhillbilly, with apologies to listopencil, who could've been the Alvin York of chiefsplanet if we'd known earlier.

Bugeater
07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
DIE BRONCO SCUM

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2011, 12:11 AM
MO would Ted Nugent 3/4's of this board to early grave.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Mo hasn't ripped that filthy donks fan's arms off and beaten him to death with them yet?

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-03-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm only posting here so I will have made the last 4 posts on cp at this time.

Gonzo
07-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Mo would win this if no matter what. You could've given him a No. 2 pencil and a rubber band, and listo a fully automatic 10 gauge shotgun with a flamethrower attachment. Mo still gets the vote on this board.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
you know for funsies we shoot beer cans w/ .22 single action revolvers.1 hand, 1 shot each from across the yard.

steps over your dead ass donco fan corpse.....