View Full Version : Obama Obama's Amnesty for Illegals Sidesteps the Law Again

HonestChieffan
07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Law means zero to the O

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44571

Amnesty for Illegals Sidesteps the Law Again
by Roger Hedgecock
07/01/2011

The only announced Democrat candidate for President has repeatedly called for complete immigration reform while consistently failing to enforce the federal immigration laws on the books now.

Large majorities of Americans in repeated polls want border security first, jobs for Americans first and "path to citizenship" last. Obama wants amnesty first to get the undocumented Democrats to the polls in 2012, has bullied Republican employers with workplace raids to get their support for amnesty, and will never secure the border any more than his immediate predecessor did.

Senators Dick Durbin (D.-Ill.) and Bob Menendez (D.-N.J.) have introduced in Congress Obama's "comprehensive immigration reform," and Durbin introduces his Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act legislation every year, but the only ones dreaming are those two.

Because the public opposes these Obama priorities, Congress won't pass his amnesty agenda. In fact, Congress wants to pass mandatory E-Verify for employers to check whether job applicants are legally in the country. Obama opposes it.

Not to worry, big employers looking for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor. Not to worry, Democratic Party desperately looking for a way to win in 2012. Obama has simply dictated the amnesty. Mission accomplished. On to wiping out corporate jets. How did amnesty for illegals happen?

Failing to get support for Obama's legislative agenda in Congress, La Raza and other open-border advocate groups have long pressured Obama to issue an Executive Order to implement the DREAM Act (placing illegals ahead of citizen students in college), and the "path to citizenship" (illegals get an immediate green card while learning English and paying back taxes at their leisure). Obama publicly refused to do so, proclaiming, "That's not how democracy works."

But this is how dictatorship works. An "Executive Order is not even necessary. On June 17, 2011, Obama's Director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) John Morton issued new guidelines to ICE agents, basically calling off deportation prosecutions of other than criminal aliens.

In school? Don't worry. No deportation even if caught. (DREAM Act accomplished.) Longtime illegal resident? Don't worry. No deportation. (Amnesty accomplished). Got an illegal job? Don't worry. No deportation.

Keep in mind that the Border Patrol might catch 25% to 50% of illegal aliens. ICE will detain for prosecution a small percentage of those rounded up. Most of those who are detained are let then go on their own recognizance pending a court date for a deportation hearing, never to be seen again.

So only a sliver of illegal aliens are ever prosecuted for breaking into the country. Those found guilty are almost all deported to the annoying and expensive task of sneaking right back into the U.S. about a day later.

Now that sliver of prosecutions just got reduced even more by Morton. And not for the first time.

Last August 2010, the Houston Chronicle, through a Freedom of Information Act request, caught the Houston ICE office doing the same type of "backdoor amnesty," as the Chronicle put it. Reminiscent of the later Operation Gun Walker scandal, higher-ups at first denied any such prosecutorial discretion memo had been issued, then denied (when the memo was made public) that anyone up the chain of command had seen or approved the memo, then withdrew the memo and said they would never do it again.

Well, they've done it again. This time, congressional investigators have a draft memo from Homeland Security that describes the goal as to "reduce the threat of removal" for illegals and calls it "a nonlegislative version of amnesty."

How much more clear does dictatorship have to be?

Obama's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified CO2 as a "pollutant" subject to regulation and taxation despite the failure of cap-and trade legislation to pass Congress. His National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) has relaxed the rules governing employee elections for unionization despite the failure of card check, or majority sign-up, to pass Congress. Obama's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has pushed Net Neutrality rules despite any authorization from Congress and explicit court rulings denying FCC jurisdiction without congressional action.

Through nonenforcement of the law (Defense of Marriage Act, immigration), through regulation without authorization by Congress (EPA, NLRB, FCC), and now through "prosecutorial discretion," Obama does not govern, he rules.

mikey23545
07-01-2011, 11:20 PM
"How much more clear does dictatorship have to be?"

Indeed.

Do dems and libs really care so much more about winning an election than they do about their freedom and their country that they will stand by and watch things like this without saying a word? What will it finally take to make them raise their voices against this little dictator-wannabe?

Frankie
07-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Obama's Amnesty for Illegals Sidesteps the Law Again

"How much more clear does dictatorship have to be?"

Indeed.

Do dems and libs really care so much more about winning an election than they do about their freedom and their country that they will stand by and watch things like this without saying a word? What will it finally take to make them raise their voices against this little dictator-wannabe?

Yep. Ronald Reagan was one bad-ass outlaw dictator. ROFL

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2011, 07:53 AM
They should have been doing this all along...

Landry Presides Over House, Blocks Recess Appointments
Millard Mulé
Jul 1, 2011 Issues: Congressional Issues
WASHINGTON, DC – Continuing his efforts to prevent President Obama from making another recess appointment, Congressman Jeff Landry (R, LA-03) today presided over a pro forma session in the United States House of Representatives. After his service as Speaker Pro Tempore, Congressman Landry released the following statement:

"This morning - under the instruction of Speaker Boehner, Leader Cantor, and Whip McCarthy - I presided over a pro forma session in the United States House of Representatives, preventing Congress from going into recess and blocking President Obama from issuing recess appointments.

Let me begin by saying that under normal circumstances, the House of Representatives should not involve itself nomination fights. The Founding Fathers clearly intended the Senate to handle the nominees through a vetting process. However, when liberal lobbyists, unions, and community organizers direct the White House to subvert the will of the Senate, extraordinary steps must be taken to return transparency to our government and sanity to our political appointees.

Recess appointments are intended to maintain the continuity of our government during periods when the Senate is not in session. They are for situations when nominees cannot be considered or confirmed, not for political expediency. This isn’t 1852; Congress isn’t out of session for 4 months at a time; it doesn’t take a week for members to come back to Washington.

The last recess appointment President Obama made was Craig Becker to the National Labor Relations Board. Becker’s nomination was rejected by the Senate. He is a man who argues that employers should have no say in union formations and who ruled that a private company could not relocate to a non-union state.

It is widely anticipated that the President will use a recess appointment to name Elizabeth Warren the head of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, soon-to-be one of the most powerful positions in the Federal government. This is very troubling considering Warren wants the government to approve every credit transaction that citizens enter into. If President Obama really wants to fill a position, he should make his nomination and send it to the Senate.

The American people sent a loud message last November that America needs to end Washington practices that are fundamentally wrong. They elected a strong group of conservative freshmen to return accountability to the American people. And they sent us to end the status quo in Washington. So to those who will argue that past presidents have also made recess appointments, I say the fact that Administrations have long abused the recess appointment process doesn’t make it right.

That is why patriots like Representatives Tom Marino, Ben Quayle, Allen West, and 73 other freshmen have joined my efforts to hit the “kill switch” – a provision the Founding Fathers gave the House to utilize when the Senate’s advice and consent is being circumvented by a hostile Administration. This kill switch comes in the form of adjournment resolutions.

Under Article 1, Section 5 of the Constitution, the House of Representatives can prevent the Senate from recessing by withholding its consent. Simply put: we do so by voting down, or not considering, a Senate adjournment resolution. And when we do so, we block the Administration’s ability to make recess appointments.

My actions today are just the beginning. Representative Jeff Duncan will be in Washington on Tuesday, leaving his home district to ensure Congress stays in session. And Republican leaders will be here to ensure Congress does not recess for the rest of President Obama’s term.

I applaud Speaker Boehner, Leader Cantor, and Whip McCarthy for their leadership and for their commitment to a transparent government - a government that belongs to We the People. I thank them for listening to our freshman coalition and taking the appropriate steps necessary to block President Obama from making recess appointments."

Recently, Congressman Landry led a coalition of 77 freshmen in a letter to House leadership requesting all appropriate measures be taken to prevent any recess appointment by the President for the remainder of the 112th Congress.

http://landry.house.gov/press-release/landry-presides-over-house-blocks-recess-appointments

RNR
07-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Would you admit the problem is more severe now? The crime overlap at the boarder, the burden on our tax dollars along with the mass amount of people here illegally in the work force while unemployment continues to be high? Or would you rather keep playing the "they did it to" game. As someone who looks at both parties flaws and refuses to blindly follow either one I find this type of statement as pathetic~

BucEyedPea
07-02-2011, 08:04 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again, Obama has taken the unitary executive concept much further than Bush, but builds on what Bush left him and Clinton on EO abuse that he left. This is a BIG problem we are on the path to dictatorship and Obama is acting like a dictator.

BucEyedPea
07-02-2011, 08:09 AM
This isn't about immigration policy alone. Or RR's immigration policies it's about deliberately and intentionally by passing the legislative process. That's what a dictator prefers.

Ronald Reagan did NOT use Executive Orders or commands the way Obama is —or even as Clinton did. Obama is changing law through the executive branch to by-pass the legislative process. Reagan used EOs more for administrative purposes which is how they are supposed to be used.

Obama is not a wanna-be dictator he is acting as a dictator and in more than on legislative area.

He really should be impeached for this.

chiefforlife
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Here is the part I dont understand, these people cant vote. So, how is giving them amnesty going to help in an election?

Mr. Kotter
07-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Amazing that not too many on the Right whined too loudly about it when Reagan signed, basically, the same bill in 1986...

Just sayin'

RNR
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Amazing that not too many on the Right whined too loudly about it when Reagan signed, basically, the same bill in 1986...

Just sayin'
I am not a righty and this is what I said to frankie when he posted the same thing... Just sayin'

"Would you admit the problem is more severe now? The crime overlap at the boarder, the burden on our tax dollars along with the mass amount of people here illegally in the work force while unemployment continues to be high? Or would you rather keep playing the "they did it to" game. As someone who looks at both parties flaws and refuses to blindly follow either one I find this type of statement as pathetic~"

Mr. Kotter
07-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I am not a righty and this is what I said to frankie when he posted the same thing... Just sayin'

"Would you admit the problem is more severe now? The crime overlap at the boarder, the burden on our tax dollars along with the mass amount of people here illegally in the work force while unemployment continues to be high? Or would you rather keep playing the "they did it to" game. As someone who looks at both parties flaws and refuses to blindly follow either one I find this type of statement as pathetic~"

To some extent, yeah...you have a point. It's the partisan hypocrisy that is just stupid.

However, we ain't gonna deport 12-16 million folks. Ain't gonna happen. We ain't gonna amend the Constitution to change jus soli. Not anytime soon anyway. Instead of partisan sniping and demagoguery, we should be focused on stemming the tide--and, yes, tightening the borders. More importantly, we ought to be serious about enforcing present and EXISTING laws. First and foremost, we'd punish corporations and businesses that hire illegals. You stop their reason for coming here in the first place, you stop the problem.

Radical right wingers refuse to admit that solving the problem is that simple....because, too many of them and their friends benefit from and profit handsomely from illegals--the ones they continue to demonize as a drain on our society, when research clearly shows they put more back into the system than they take out. Of course, you'll never hear the right wing radio demagogues or FOX ever admit the truth of that.

Heaven forbid that we punish corporations and businesses for their, in some cases, deliberate skirting of the law--or hold them accountable. No, no--we can't do THAT.

RNR
07-02-2011, 09:19 AM
To some extent, yeah...you have a point. It's the partisan hypocrisy that is just stupid.

However, we ain't gonna deport 12-16 million folks. Ain't gonna happen. We ain't gonna amend the Constitution to change jus soli. Not anytime soon anyway. Instead of partisan sniping and demagoguery, we should be focused on stemming the tide--and, yes, tightening the borders. More importantly, we ought to be serious about enforcing present and EXISTING laws. First and foremost, we'd punish corporations and businesses that hire illegals. You stop their reason for coming here in the first place, you stop the problem.

Radical right wingers refuse to admit that solving the problem is that simple....because, too many of them and their friends benefit from and profit handsomely from illegals--the ones they continue to demonize as a drain on our society, when research clearly shows they put more back into the system than they take out. Of course, you'll never hear the right wing radio demagogues or FOX ever admit the truth of that.

If both parties would agree to simply start enforcing the laws already in the books and crack down on people who hire them they would not need to be deported. If we started controlling our southern boarder for real instead of the fence publicity stunt bullshit we could keep them out. I have said several times the only thing the right has done is bitch about the left not doing anything. The right has turned a blind eye to this for years. Bush in his term did nothing. The "it is too late excuse is silly" If we take away the motives for them being here and enforce the laws we already have this problem will cure its self. Neither side is interested in that~

Mr. Kotter
07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
If both parties would agree to simply start enforcing the laws already in the books and crack down on people who hire them they would not need to be deported.... If we take away the motives for them being here and enforce the laws we already have this problem will cure its self. Neither side is interested in that~

Agreed. However, the right's exploitation of the racist angle on the issue, for political gain...while at the same time refusing embrace the easiest and most effective way to "fix" the problem (holding corporations and businesses accountable) is a clear indicator that they aren't really interested in "fixing" the problem. So they need to just S.T.F.U.

Until the right embraces serious enforcement, fines, and accountability for employers...they have no credibility. Period. Democrats aren't much better, but they are more sincere in their search for a real solution.

RNR
07-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Agreed. However, the right's exploitation of the racist angle on the issue, for political gain...while at the same time refusing embrace the easiest and most effective way to "fix" the problem (holding corporations and businesses accountable) is a clear indicator that they aren't really interested in "fixing" the problem. So they need to just S.T.F.U.

Until they embrace serious enforcement, fines, and accountability for employers...they have no credibility on the issue. Period.

Agreed but the left is doing the same trying to increase their base. And you are silly to think only righties have companies doing this~

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Here is the part I dont understand, these people cant vote. So, how is giving them amnesty going to help in an election?

It will mobilize naturalized citizens to vote who are in solidarity with them.

Also, don't underestimate the illegals ability to thwart our voting laws.

I myself have posted many articles over the years where dem operatives engaged in notorious voter fraud.

Personally, I think it is treason to engage in voter fraud and should be punishable by death.

chiefforlife
07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
It will mobilize naturalized citizens to vote who are in solidarity with them.

Also, don't underestimate the illegals ability to thwart our voting laws.

I myself have posted many articles over the years where dem operatives engaged in notorious voter fraud.

Personally, I think it is treason to engage in voter fraud and should be punishable by death.

I dont know about death but I do think its a very serious offense.

Frankie
07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Would you admit the problem is more severe now? The crime overlap at the boarder, the burden on our tax dollars along with the mass amount of people here illegally in the work force while unemployment continues to be high? Or would you rather keep playing the "they did it to" game. As someone who looks at both parties flaws and refuses to blindly follow either one I find this type of statement as pathetic~

I only play the "they did it too" game because there is massive shameless hypocrisy going on by the Righties here and by their leaders. It has escalated dramatically since 01/2009. I wonder what happened then! :hmmm:

chiefforlife
07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Its isnt close the boarders OR crack down on business's its BOTH. Thats the solution. Its so simple I dont see why there is a problem agreeing on how to proceed. Illegal activity should be treated as such, if you are here illegally you need to go home, whether its school or job or jail.

fan4ever
07-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Why do you think there is such widespread resistance in being required to provide identification/citizenship by the liberals when voting? These people need to be able to reward their redeemer and what better way than to pad the votes cast?

Chiefshrink
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Ever hear of the "slippery slope"?

Here is something you need to learn about the Dem party that has been hijacked by the "Marxists" who call themselves "Progressives" in order to avoid the label "Marxist" and make it sound "cutting edge". These "know-it-alls" who "supposedly" :rolleyes: know better "We The People" what's best for us and that we should never "question" their direction or motive and end game:rolleyes:.

These "know-it-alls" that have never worked an honest damn day in their life who do not live in the "real world" who are totally out of touch with "reality" calling the shots without any accountability who want so much to "destroy", whoops! I mean "transform" America into their Marxist Socialistic Utopia. Under the guise, to rid America of her "transgressional stains" caused by the 'white evil capitalistic liberty and freedom seeking male racists' but in reality to really destroy capitalism not only in America but around the world in order to bring a "one world socialistic government" . You get my point.:thumb:

You see if the "Progressive Marxists" can't win honestly in an election. Did I just say that? Progressive and honesty? That's an oxymoron!!ROFL

They then try to commit voting fraud(see Al Franken). If that doesn't work then will try to "bully the courts". Basically 'skirt' the majority opinion from the election results and just legislate around "We The People"(see supposedly gay rights and gay marriage-a la California). To make this easier to do in the courts they have successfully stacked the courts with a bunch of a Marxist Libs who have "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROBLEM" flipping the political bird to "We The People" because they have the same worldview of America as the Marxist Liberal Dems do because they are themselves as well.:thumb:

If the courts don't cooperate as the Marxist Dems would like then the "Mob Thugs" come out. You are beginning to see alot of this now through the what I like to call "Marxist "useful idiots" unions(see Wisconsin, GM, etc.....)

All it takes is just a little "give" in the wrong way and I assure the Marxist Dems will have these "illegals" voting supposedly "legal" in no time:thumb: Thus the "slippery slope" to "surfdom":thumb:

You need to read Marx,Lenin,Alinsky and Cloward & Piven if want to be able to understand "Obama and Marxist Dem party's TRUE AGENDA:thumb: Just ask Direckshun he will totally fill you in on the political game plan of his Marxist minions:D

Then all of what you see will make total sense of Obama's political and legislative moves.:thumb: Even Clinton did not ignore the "95" takeover of the House by Republicans. But Obama acts as though there wasn't even a hint of a takeover of the "House" by Repubs let alone that there was even an election that occurred in 2010. This is the difference between a Lib(Clinton) and a radical Left Marxist(Obama) plain and simple.

chiefforlife
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Why do you think there is such widespread resistance in being required to provide identification/citizenship by the liberals when voting? These people need to be able to reward their redeemer and what better way than to pad the votes cast?

I cant believe that you don't have to show ID to vote. That is absurd, it basically encourages voting fraud. Why haven't both sides fixed this long ago?

Chiefshrink
07-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I cant believe that you don't have to show ID to vote. That is absurd, it basically encourages voting fraud. Why haven't both sides fixed this long ago?

Hello, McFly!!!! Time to wake up and smell the coffee!!!

The Marxist Dems have successfully "Alinskyized" conservatism to the point where most Repubs in both the House and Senate will not "toe the conservative line" because they are afraid of being demagogued by the Marxist Media.

The Tea Party "We The People" are dragging most Repubs to the fight for our country which is very sad. But as I have stated before a bigtime "house cleaning" of RINOs needs to occur before we will truly fight for "We The People" and not be afraid of these Marxist Dems and Marxist Media when they attempt to "Alinskyize" conservative isssues.

And THIS is how you get both parties not to support the Constitution and let voting fraud occur!!!!!

Frankie
07-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hello, McFly!!!! Time to wake up and smell the coffee!!!

The Marxist Dems have successfully "Alinskyized" conservatism to the point where most Repubs in both the House and Senate will not "toe the conservative line" because they are afraid of being demagogued by the Marxist Media
News flash:

"Repubs in both the House and Senate will not toe the conservative line because they are afraid of being demagogued by" the fringe Right crazies led by Sean Limbeck and financed by Koch brothers and other super billionaires. There is no more old fashion "conservative" line in practice anymore. They are all labeled Marxist Liberals by you and your crazy crowd.

Before you condescend someone and call him McFly, make sure you have pissed the cool-aid out of your own system. :rolleyes:

LiveSteam
07-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Its isnt close the boarders OR crack down on business's its BOTH. Thats the solution. Its so simple I dont see why there is a problem agreeing on how to proceed. Illegal activity should be treated as such, if you are here illegally you need to go home, whether its school or job or jail.
Frankie is sent back to the Middle east ?

fan4ever
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
News flash:

"Repubs in both the House and Senate will not toe the conservative line because they are afraid of being demagogued by" the fringe Right crazies led by Sean Limbeck and financed by Koch brothers and other super billionaires. There is no more old fashion "conservative" line in practice anymore. They are all labeled Marxist Liberals by you and your crazy crowd.

Before you condescend someone and call him McFly, make sure you have pissed the cool-aid out of your own system. :rolleyes:

Since you seem to really like using the "cool-aid" term, you may as well start spelling it correctly. It's "Kool-Aid". You're welcome.

HonestChieffan
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Well said

KCBOSS1
07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
This guy has every intention of securing power and collapsing capitalism, totally installing socialism. He will try to install amnesty. Total vote/power grab. If he is re-elected, he will try to debolish or at least extend presidential term limits, or possibly marshall law depending on how bad things get over the next few years. We are in a crucial time. I have never been a conspiracy theorist, always willing to believe in the best in people, even liberal presidents' simple stupidity. But this isn't stupidity, it is diabolical. I wish I wasn't exaggerating.

Ugly Duck
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Remember the extensive 5-year investigation that the Bush admin undertook to do after "Dem voter fraud?" They got 86 convictions. In 5 years of investigation. 86 out of 283,295,566 voters. That works out to 0.00003%. Not enough to sway an election for dogcatcher in a small town, let alone a national election. Its a red herring.

He will try to install amnesty. Total vote/power grab. But this isn't stupidity, it is diabolical.

Reagan granted amnesty to 4 million illegals - is he a diabolical communist now, too?

VAChief
07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
But this isn't stupidity, it is diabolical. I wish I wasn't exaggerating.

Then don't.

Frankie
07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
This guy has every intention of securing power and collapsing capitalism, totally installing socialism. He will try to install amnesty. Total vote/power grab. If he is re-elected, he will try to debolish or at least extend presidential term limits, or possibly marshall law depending on how bad things get over the next few years. We are in a crucial time. I have never been a conspiracy theorist, always willing to believe in the best in people, even liberal presidents' simple stupidity. But this isn't stupidity, it is diabolical. I wish I wasn't exaggerating.

:spock: Are you for real?

The Mad Crapper
07-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Remember the extensive 5-year investigation that the Bush admin undertook to do after "Dem voter fraud?" They got 86 convictions. In 5 years of investigation. 86 out of 283,295,566 voters. That works out to 0.00003%. Not enough to sway an election for dogcatcher in a small town, let alone a national election. Its a red herring.

http://verybadfrog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Meanwhile-in-Alternate-Universe.jpg

Chiefshrink
07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
http://verybadfrog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Meanwhile-in-Alternate-Universe.jpg

Hey the "useful idiots" !!!!!!!!:thumb:

fan4ever
07-03-2011, 02:07 PM

That's misleading; these convictions by a large degree were for people who helped generate multitudes of fraudulent votes, not for just casting a single fraudulent vote of their own.

RNR
07-03-2011, 02:08 PM
That's misleading; these convictions by a large degree were for people who helped generate multitudes of fraudulent votes, not for just casting a single fraudulent vote of their own.

Never let the facts get in the way~

orange
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
"A handful of convictions involved people who voted twice. More than 30 were linked to small vote-buying schemes in which candidates generally in sheriff’s or judge’s races paid voters for their support."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/washington/12fraud.html

Yessirree, facts.

30 linked to vote-buying schemes in sheriff or judge's races. Sure sounds like a Federal matter to me.

The Mad Crapper
07-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I didn't want to go back too far, I figured election night, Cook County Illinois, November 1961 would be a good place to start.

At least three people were sent to jail for election-related crimes, and 677 others were indicted before being acquitted by Judge John M. Karns, a Daley crony. Many of the allegations involved practices that wouldn't be detected by a recount, leading the conservative Chicago Tribune, among others, to conclude that "once an election has been stolen in Cook County, it stays stolen." What's more, according to journalist Seymour Hersh, a former Justice Department prosecutor who heard tapes of FBI wiretaps from the period believed that Illinois was rightfully Nixon's. Hersh also has written that J. Edgar Hoover believed Nixon actually won the presidency but in deciding to follow normal procedures and refer the FBI's findings to the attorney general—as of Jan. 20, 1961, Robert F. Kennedy—he effectively buried the case.