PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Favorite Slasher movie series or film

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Kind of bored on a Saturday afternoon so I decided to watch a Sleep Away Camp Movie and it brought this question to mind. What is your favorite Slasher series or film? I listed only series that I have seen all of the movies, not individual films, if I missed any list them in your post.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Its very important to mention that Halloween 1 and 2 are the only ones I recognize in the series. The rest were dog shit.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't remember Sleepaway Camp.

Predarat
07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Halloween 1 and 2, Friday the 13th 1 and 2 were good as well. Nightmare on Elm Street wasn't bad, but not as good as the 1st two Halloweens of F13ths.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
This is just too damn hard.

Nightmare was great because of the humor and personality of Robert England.
Friday has the most creative kills
TCM and Black Friday are the two most legitimately scary
Halloween set the standard for slasher films
Sleepaway Camp has the most mind-fuckingly disturbing ending of any of them
Psycho is just a great film beyond the genre

Can I pick most of them?

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I consider Saw way more a psychological horror movie than a slasher film, slasher films, to me, represent farily mindless violence and limited storyline. NTTATWWT, I just feel Saw is on a whole higher level than most of the films nominated on this list (though I'm a big fan of House of a Thousand Corpses and Child's Play).

Saw's definitely my favorite on here though, at least the orignal. I'd agree that the sequels might qualify as slashers.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
This is just too damn hard.

Friday has the most creative kills

have you seen all of the Saw movies and some of the machines Jigaw uses to kill with? talk about disgustingly creative....

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I consider Saw way more a psychological horror movie than a slasher film, slasher films, to me, represent farily mindless violence and limited storyline. NTTATWWT, I just feel Saw is on a whole higher level than most of the films nominated on this list (though I'm a big fan of House of a Thousand Corpses and Child's Play).

Saw's definitely my favorite on here though, at least the orignal. I'd agree that the sequels might qualify as slashers.

The Saw movies are so far down my list compared to most of the films here I can't even find them. Perfect example of an interesting concept done poorly and then mercilessly run into the ground.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Friday the 13th 1 and 2 were good as well.

I thought friday 2 was garbage, at least at the end. The blonde girl has like seven opporunties to actually kill Jason, and doesn't. That and Jason has wounds that, while maybe not mortal, would leave him unconscious for at least hours, yet gets back up for more like 5 times. Very lame IMO.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I like Sleepaway Camp mostly because of the absurdity in the sequels, heads getting taken off by lawnmowers, faces being blown off by Firecrackers.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
have you seen all of the Saw movies and some of the machines Jigaw uses to kill with? talk about disgustingly creative....

Well Saw cheats a little since the entire premise is have the victim set up in a room of the killer's design. Jason improvises, makes it more fun to me. Plus I don't really consider Saw a true slasher film anyway.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I like Sleepaway Camp mostly because of the absurdity in the sequels, heads getting taken off by lawnmowers, faces being blown off by Firecrackers.

That pedophile cook in the first one might be my favorite character in film history.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
That audiophile cook in the first one might be my favorite character in film history.

Yep, and you were right about the ending of Sleepaway Camp 1.

Dicky McElephant
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Saw would have been perfect had it stopped after the first one.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Can't entirely disagree considering how special I thought that first one was. 2,4 and 5 were decent, but nothing great or new. the last one was downright awful. but 3 and 6 i thought were pretty damn good, there's a scene in 6 involving a park carousel that's especially disturbing.

KCUnited
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Friday the 13th and Halloween represent my favorite type of slasher flick. I like my slashers mute.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I was annoyed by Saw simply because before I saw them in theatres I would have to watch each previous one before hand.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I have a hard time giving Friday the 13th (1980) and Halloween I (1978) props due to Last House On The Left (1972) coming out so long before them, and IMO, being more graphically violent.

Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) had the dream thing going on, Hellraiser (1987) had the S & M and trapped souls idea, and Child's Play (1989) and Pet Semetary (1989 also) had the Turn Innocent Things Into Possessed Works concept.

In my mind those are all better than Friday and Halloween.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I was annoyed by Saw simply because before I saw them in theatres I would have to watch each previous one before hand.

I know, I followed them yearly because I was so impressed with the original, but I could rarely get someone to see the new ones with me because (unlike Friday and Halloween) you had to know what happened in the prior one not to get confused.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Quick PSA:

If you haven't seen Black Christmas, see it. It predates all of these except TCM and Psycho and is widely considered the first true slasher film. It holds up incredibly well and I, who rarely get scared by movies, was pretty freaked out a couple times. Also has some famous scenes and lines in it that you probably didn't know were from that film.

That is all.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a hard time giving Friday the 13th (1980) and Halloween I (1978) props due to Last House On The Left (1972) coming out so long before them, and IMO, being more graphically violent.

Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) had the dream thing going on, Hellraiser (1987) had the S & M and trapped souls idea, and Child's Play (1989) and Pet Semetary (1989 also) had the Turn Innocent Things Into Possessed Works concept.

In my mind those are all better than Friday and Halloween.

Not really slasher films, though.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:43 PM

I know, I was guilty of getting off topic. Not sure if Hellraiser is a slasher film either, (though Pinhead uses that guy's ex wife to slice the sh*t outta some people), I kinda consider that a Psychological Horror Film as well.

BTW, Last House On The Left preceeded both TCM and Black Christmas, and there's not a lot of psychology or story to it, just violence and murder. have to disagree - I think that one's definitely a slasher (though I admit it's been ahwile and can't remember how the girls or their attackers were offed, so they may not have been offically "slashed").

Deberg_1990
07-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Really enjoyed "The Stangers" from a few years ago. Really creepy and scary.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I know, I was guilty of getting off topic. Not sure if Hellraiser is a slasher film either, (though Pinhead uses that guy's ex wife to slice the sh*t outta some people), I kinda consider that a Psychological Horror Film as well.

BTW, Last House On The Left preceeded both TCM and Black Christmas, and there's not a lot of psychology or story to it, just violence and murder. have to disagree - I think that one's definitely a slasher (though I admit it's been ahwile and can't remember how the girls or their attackers were offed, so they may not have been offically "slashed").

It's violent, no doubt, but I think a slasher film needs a lone killer, occassionally aided by others (TCM), but either a mysterious killer that doesn't reveal till the end or one that is the face of the franchise. There's more to the genre than just violent kills.

KChiefs1
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Saw was incredible.

kysirsoze
07-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Really enjoyed "The Stangers" from a few years ago. Really creepy and scary.

I think "home invasion" movies are kind of their own thing. That one was creppy as hell, though. What made it scary to me, is that usually in a horror movie, the victims act so stupidly that it's easy to disassociate and say, "That would never happen to me." In The Strangers, I thought the protagonists acted pretty much how I would act. It's a seemingly small difference, but it made it a lot more frightening, IMO.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Silent Night Deadly night was particularly brutal too.

Backwards Masking
07-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I think a slasher film needs a lone killer, occassionally aided by others (TCM), but either a mysterious killer that doesn't reveal till the end or one that is the face of the franchise. There's more to the genre than just violent kills.

Hard to disagree with that definition.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 03:32 PM

In my mind those are all better than Friday and Halloween.Halloween and Friday the 13th started the slasher genre.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Child's play is a Fucking joke.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Child's play is a ****ing joke.

It did suck. I am of course partial to Halloween and Friday the 13th, but I did really like Sleepaway Camp and the Silent Night Deadly Night.

Simply Red
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I own Terror-Train - which is an awesome eighties flick w/ Jamie Lee Curtis. The memories that movie brings back are very powerful. I voted halloween here - I like the shamrock one.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I own Terror-Train - which is an awesome eighties flick w/ Jamie Lee Curtis. The memories that movie brings back are very powerful. I voted halloween here - I like the shamrock one.

I vaguely remember that movie.

Simply Red
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
http://tinyurl.com/4ypuykw

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Gage's grandpa would disagree :p

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
http://tinyurl.com/4ypuykw

That's awesome.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I voted for Rob because I like where he's taking the genre, and he eats, sleeps, and breathes all things horror.

Nightmare gets major props though; that movie saw several pairs of pants get pissed back in the day.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I voted for Rob because I like where he's taking the genre, and he eats, sleeps, and breathes all things horror.

Nightmare gets major props though; that movie saw several pairs of pants get pissed back in the day.Rob Fucking Zombie? That motherfucker RUINED Halloween. I never saw the 2nd one because the 1st one was a shitfest on a par with Jurassic Park 2.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Rob ****ing Zombie? That mother****er RUINED Halloween. I never saw the 2nd one because the 1st one was a shitfest on a par with Jurassic Park 2.

I would never compare that Rob Zombie halloween to Jurassic 2. I wasn't a big fan of it. but it wasnt that bad.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Rob Fucking Zombie? That motherfucker RUINED Halloween. I never saw the 2nd one because the 1st one was a shitfest on a par with Jurassic Park 2.

It was still better than ANYTHING that God-Awful 'Lions Gate' studio( with their never-ending assembly line of horror suck )EVER put out( unless they did the original 'Saw' ).

"Oh look! It's Lindsay Lohan getting eating by plants in the jungle"!

Oh yeah, QUALITY work that studio...ROFL

SDChiefs
07-02-2011, 08:18 PM

This could be said for most of them. Find something successful, run it into the ground, rinse, repeat.

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
This could be said for most of them. Find something successful, run it into the ground, rinse, repeat.

#3 is usually the kiss of death for slasher films.

SnakeXJones
07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Rob ****ing Zombie? That mother****er RUINED Halloween. I never saw the 2nd one because the 1st one was a shitfest on a par with Jurassic Park 2. Im a big halloween fan I think Rob did a good job on his version of a halloween but the second was garbage just shit. He made Myers fucking talk for fuck sakes

Al Bundy
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Im a big halloween fan I think Rob did a good job on his version of a halloween but the second was garbage just shit. He made Myers ****ing talk for **** sakes

I didn't even waste my time addressing that pile of shit movie.

SnakeXJones
07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I didn't even waste my time addressing that pile of shit movie. We'll if we did we would be here all goddamn day

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Saw would have been perfect had it stopped after the first one.Yep. I enjoyed the 1st one. I stopped after 3.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 08:59 PM
#3 is usually the kiss of death for slasher films.No way! Halloween 3 pwned!

:)

SLAG
07-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Scream or big mama's house

Sent via tapatalk from the EVO 4G

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Event Horizon

Not a slasher, but it scares the shit outta me to this day

The Bad Guy
07-02-2011, 09:14 PM
How could Fright Night be considered a series? The 2nd one was quite possibly the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. I really enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to the remake out in August.

malachi47000
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Of my top horror movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original movie NOT THE REMAKE) has to be in my top 5 of all time. For being a "B" movie it really did well. Exorcist and Shining are my favorite.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Saw would have been a legendary, all-time, Horror Hall of Fame, must-see classic had they not made it a series.

Simply Red
07-02-2011, 09:58 PM
That's awesome.

Ty - yes - you should really look into 'eight films to die for' Afterdark Hourfest. Movie stop carries them by the boatload - they're cheap too, most all good.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll chime in too the the first Saw was awesome... and there were moments in the others that were good... i.e. the creativity of the torture and death methods... but I too think it needed to stop long before it did. I still like the premise overall though.

I also don't consider it a slasher movie/series persay. But I voted for it anyway.

Simply Red
07-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Hellraiser was a nice movie to have playing in the background - once you're good and stoned and focusing on anything OTHER than the movie - but the effects are pretty nice.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Saw would have been a legendary, all-time, Horror Hall of Fame, must-see classic had they not made it a series.Yeah, the final scene fucking blew me away. I had the 2nd one pegged 30 min in. The 3rd one was funny with the liquefied pigs. :LOL:

SDChiefs
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM
#3 is usually the kiss of death for slasher films.

No argument here.

SDChiefs
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Rob Fucking Zombie? That motherfucker RUINED Halloween. I never saw the 2nd one because the 1st one was a shitfest on a par with Jurassic Park 2.

He made halloween watchable. Never could as a kid. It was horrible.

SDChiefs
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Im a big halloween fan I think Rob did a good job on his version of a halloween but the second was garbage just shit. He made Myers fucking talk for fuck sakes

I agree. Didn't like the second but his first was much better than the original halloween.

Bump
07-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Rob Zombie rules, he's a mad genius. I love his work and he is the best IMO. I do really enjoy the Texas Chainsaw stuff too.

SDChiefs
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Event Horizon

Great movie!

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Rob Zombie rules, he's a mad genius. I love his work and he is the best IMO. I do really enjoy the Texas Chainsaw stuff too.He was fine until he fucked up Halloween.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I agree. Didn't like the second but his first was much better than the original halloween.Blasphemy! The original Halloween is a classic. Rob's remake was a turd.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 12:12 AM
He made halloween watchable. Never could as a kid. It was horrible.Did you grow up thru the 80s? I dont know anyone who doesnt like the original Halloween.

Psyko Tek
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Kind of bored on a Saturday afternoon so I decided to watch a Sleep Away Camp Movie and it brought this question to mind. What is your favorite Slasher series or film? I listed only series that I have seen all of the movies, not individual films, if I missed any list them in your post.

EVIL DEAD

Simply Red
07-03-2011, 06:48 AM
The Devil's Rejects - lol

Rausch
07-03-2011, 08:22 AM
EVIL DEAD

There you go.

Big zombie film fan as well...

Simply Red
07-03-2011, 08:27 AM
quite the following around that Army of Darkness business.

If any of you are ever here in town, go check out Videodrome. It's a DVD store that's been in business forever - It's so badass, most of you all would love it. Big 'B' horror flick business...

SDChiefs
07-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Did you grow up thru the 80s? I dont know anyone who doesnt like the original Halloween.

Yes and I don't know anyone who does. Everyone I know was either a nightmare fan (me) or a friday fan and we would all just make fun of halloween.

lcarus
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Black Christmas and Psycho were so influential. It's hard not to choose those. And no I don't wanna mention the crappy remakes. Halloween was actually inspired by Black Christmas. Of course...I like almost everything on that list. Silent Night Deadly Night is a series to watch if you wanna watch something really crappy. Fright Night is an 80s classic (which will soon have a....you guessed it...crappy remake).

QuikSsurfer
07-03-2011, 10:43 AM
ctrl + F "Hellraiser"

... ahhh SimplyRed... exquisite taste, as always.

Backwards Masking
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Fright Night is an 80s classic (which will soon have a....you guessed it...crappy remake).

LOL at at a 26 year old Marci Rhoades / Darci from Married with Children...with hair.

The Bad Guy
07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
LOL at at a 26 year old Marci Rhoades / Darci from Married with Children...with hair.

And trying to pass off as a high school student.

Al Bundy
07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I can't believe I forgot this one, it had 2 sequels and was in the same massacre collection with Sorority House Massacre 1 and 2.
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ATFhVvsqyyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Al Bundy
07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I watched Slumber Party Massacre 1 and 2 last night. There was a reason I didn't include it on the list.

whoman69
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
none of the above

Deberg_1990
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
How about the Pyscho movie series? Pyscho 1 is obviously a classic, but i thought 2 was really strong as well....

Infidel Goat
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Only one other person has mentioned it, but I think the answer is Scream.

It has an actual plot, character development, plays with conventions, and hacks up a fair amount of people in the process...

Plus the Drew Barrymore turn was one of the biggest surprises in cinema since Vivian Leigh in Psycho.

CrazyHorse
07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
NES for me. In fact, it's the only movie that ever gave me the creeps. Not a horror movie fan at all. But that one got me.

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
What about those POS SyFy Original Slasher movies??

kysirsoze
07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Only one other person has mentioned it, but I think the answer is Scream.

It has an actual plot, character development, plays with conventions, and hacks up a fair amount of people in the process...

Plus the Drew Barrymore turn was one of the biggest surprises in cinema since Vivian Leigh in Psycho.

Great movie, but it's almost a "send-up" of the genre. It did a great job of satirizing the films that came before it, but I couldn't name it the best slasher film. It's a little like calling Shaun of the Dead the best zombie movie. In some ways it may be, but it owes a little too much to what came before IMO.

Gadzooks
07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
American Werewolf in London fucked me up pretty bad. I was 5 when I saw it, (nice parenting Ma and Pa).

Al Bundy
07-04-2011, 06:53 PM
American Werewolf in London ****ed me up pretty bad. I was 5 when I saw it, (nice parenting Ma and Pa).

I was 8 when that came out... seeing it on HBO fucked me up. The other movies that messed with me a bit was Blood Beach.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 06:55 PM
"Amityville" scared the piss out of me as a kid.

kysirsoze
07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
"Amityville" scared the piss out of me as a kid.

Really?? I guess I didn't see it till I was in high school, but that was the most boring, unscary "horror" movie I think I've ever seen.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Really?? I guess I didn't see it till I was in high school, but that was the most boring, unscary "horror" movie I think I've ever seen.

Well, I was about 8 or 9 I think.

gblowfish
07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Any love for the wood chipper in Fargo???

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Any love for the wood chipper in Fargo???

Right here, but not really scary.

kysirsoze
07-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, I was about 8 or 9 I think.

I can relate. I saw NES 2 when I was a lad and it freaked me the fuck out. Saw it again several years later and we'll just say it wasn't the terrifying experience I remembered.

The Bad Guy
07-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I saw the Howling on HBO when I was around 6. Scared the ever living shit out of me.

KcMizzou
07-04-2011, 08:43 PM
The one that freaked me out as a kid was Poltergeist. (not a slasher film, I know.) It was that scene with the F'in clown in the rocking chair, and later under the bed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I can relate. I saw NES 2 when I was a lad and it freaked me the fuck out. Saw it again several years later and we'll just say it wasn't the terrifying experience I remembered.

The 1st one was hella-scary.

Al Bundy
07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D the other night... not a good slasher flick.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D the other night... not a good slasher flick.

Is that yet ANOTHER sorry-assed Lions Gate film with the dipshit miner going about in his silly little mining uniform?

DBOSHO
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
He was fine until he ****ed up Halloween.

The first one i let slide but halloween 2 was horrid.

Ok, so michael talks, grunts, and walks around with his mask off half the time? LOL cool.

I think the worst thing about it was his Loomis character though. What a disservice to Donald Pleasence.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
The whole fucking idea was to learn more about Myers and to expand the knowledge of the character. If you wanted a straight repeat, watch the fucking original.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
quite the following around that Army of Darkness business.

If any of you are ever here in town, go check out Videodrome. It's a DVD store that's been in business forever - It's so badass, most of you all would love it. Big 'B' horror flick business...

Oh shit, I totally missed this excellent post! Awesome, AWESOME fucking movie.

Woods and D. Harry = Sah-weeeeeet!

DBOSHO
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
The whole ****ing idea was to learn more about Myers and to expand the knowledge of the character. If you wanted a straight repeat, watch the ****ing original.

Cool im gonna direct a remake of Citizen Kane and have his mom follow him around on a white horse the whole time.

Al Bundy
07-09-2011, 10:48 PM
The whole ****ing idea was to learn more about Myers and to expand the knowledge of the character. If you wanted a straight repeat, watch the ****ing original.

I read the novel.. didn't need to see the shit on film.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Cool im gonna direct a remake of Citizen Kane and have his mom follow him around on a white horse the whole time.

Make a movie about the adventures of Kane and Rosebud. Much more exciting!

Bowser
No love for Phantasm? I saw that one pretty young, and I had to sleep with the lights on for awhile. Haven't seen it in years, but I'm sure it hasn't held up very well over time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I read the novel.. didn't need to see the shit on film.

You get rep because you read.

Bowser
07-09-2011, 10:50 PM
You get rep because you read.

Ironical posting that on a BB. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Ironical posting that on a BB. :D

You get rep for irony.

Bowser
07-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Here's a blast from the past. Not a slasher movie, per se, but....

Drum roll.......

Humanoids From the Deep

The two scenes I remember from that movie -

1) A dude and a girl are in a tent, and he has a puppet ( :spock: ). He asks her, in his puppet voice, "Hey, do you want to see my woodpecker?"

and

B) Some girl gets her boobs ripped off by one of the creatures. Both at the same time. (I think. I may be mixing up movies here)

Jerm
07-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Halloween for me...my 2nd fav. movie of all time and one that I can watch over and over to this day and it holds up for me. Donald Pleasance fucking rules all.

Rob Zombie the filmmaker is dead to me for what he did to the Michael Myers character and for bastardizing the Loomis character...ridiculous.

Black Christmas is severely underrated, legit creepy.

Wolf Creek is another criminally underrated flick too...it's in the slasher vein.

Another interesting "slasher" move is Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's awesome.

Nzoner
07-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Although I don't consider it a slasher film I'll take the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre over any of the others.Great low budget film making.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Although I don't consider it a slasher film I'll take the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre over any of the others.Great low budget film making.

What was that dudes name..."Tobe-something" who hosted the horror movies at the drive-in thing?

Nzoner
07-10-2011, 01:31 AM
What was that dudes name..."Tobe-something" who hosted the horror movies at the drive-in thing?

Tobe Hooper?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Tobe Hooper?

BOOM!:thumb:

Jerm
07-10-2011, 02:12 AM
If you've ever heard Hooper explain how he came up with the concept of the "chainsaw" being the integral part of TCM, it's awesome. He talked about it on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments or whatever that show was.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-10-2011, 02:18 AM
If you've ever heard Hooper explain how he came up with the concept of the "chainsaw" being the integral part of TCM, it's awesome. He talked about it on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments or whatever that show was.

Chainsaw's are scary.

WhiteWhale
07-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Nightmare gets major props though; that movie saw several pairs of pants get pissed back in the day.

Well, Rob Cummings eats horror and then he shits it onto a movie screen.

Bambi
07-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I Spit on Your Grave
Last House on the Left (both new and old)
Irreversible
Cabin Fever
Haute Tension
└ l'intÚrieur
Martyrs
Wolf Creek

All great Saturday afternoon features.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Saturn 3, my parents rented it for me thinking it was just another cheesy sci-fi flick

You do get to see a Farrah Fawcett naked...so it had that going for it which was nice

Detoxing
07-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Rob Zombie Movies are awesome. I liked Rob's version much better than the originals.

The originals never did it for me.

Nightmare on Elm Street use to scare the piss out of me when I was a kid though.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Halloween for me...my 2nd fav. movie of all time and one that I can watch over and over to this day and it holds up for me. Donald Pleasance ****ing rules all.

Rob Zombie the filmmaker is dead to me for what he did to the Michael Myers character and for bastardizing the Loomis character...ridiculous.

Black Christmas is severely underrated, legit creepy.

Wolf Creek is another criminally underrated flick too...it's in the slasher vein.

Another interesting "slasher" move is Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's awesome.

I'd like to see Black Christmas and yes Donald Pleasance is phenomenal... We watched 'The Others' the other night - I enjoyed it again.

Simply Red
07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I Spit on Your Grave
Last House on the Left (both new and old)
Irreversible
Cabin Fever
Haute Tension
└ l'intÚrieur
Martyrs
Wolf Creek

All great Saturday afternoon features.

I own Cabin Fever - it's good.

Al Bundy
07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
One thing I have noticed about the Friday the 13th series is that when you go down in the lake no one bothers looking for you. It's like. "Oh well, they're gone, no big deal."

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
One thing I have noticed about the Friday the 13th series is that when you go down in the lake no one bothers looking for you. It's like. "Oh well, they're gone, no big deal."

LMAO

lcarus
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Black Christmas should get more love. The original, not the crappy MTV style remake. As much as I love Halloween, the idea came from Black Christmas.

TODD
07-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Rob Zombie is now going to work on some new stuff....He told that at the end of his concert Saturday night here in KC...(Sandstone)

My recent slasher favorite is MACHETE....decent

Bambi
07-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Wickedson's Definitive List of Bad Ass kinda Horror but more Brutal Movies:

enjoy!

the 70's
Cannibal Holocaust (The movie Blair Witch stole all their ideas from)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one from the 70's)
I Spit on You Grave (tough rape scene but good revenge)
Last House on the Left (the one from the 70's)
Last House on the Left (the new one isn't that bad...rough rape scene)
Halloween
Carrie
An American Werewolf in London (a comedy but really good)

Asian
Oldboy (not really horror but one of my favorite movies ever...Korean)...if you like it there are two sequels
Ichi the Killer
Audition
Three Extremes
Visitor Q
Battle Royale

American
Lost Highway
Devil's Rejects
Hard Candy (you thought the little girl from Juno was cute...)
The Descent
The Ruins
Surveillance
Cabin Fever
Frailty
Silent Hill
Dead Silence

French and/or Euro
Haute Tension (American release is called High Tension)
The Hills Have Eyes
Irreversible (the worst rape scene but movie is incredible)
Martyrs
Let the Right One In
Wolf Creek

Sci Fi Horror
Sunshine
Event Horizon

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Wickedson's Definitive List of Bad Ass kinda Horror but more Brutal Movies:

enjoy!

the 70's
Cannibal Holocaust (The movie Blair Witch stole all their ideas from)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one from the 70's)
I Spit on You Grave (tough rape scene but good revenge)
Last House on the Left (the one from the 70's)
Last House on the Left (the new one isn't that bad...rough rape scene)
Halloween
Carrie
An American Werewolf in London (a comedy but really good)

Asian
Oldboy (not really horror but one of my favorite movies ever...Korean)...if you like it there are two sequels
Ichi the Killer
Audition
Three Extremes
Visitor Q
Battle Royale

American
Lost Highway
Devil's Rejects
Hard Candy (you thought the little girl from Juno was cute...)
The Descent
The Ruins
Surveillance
Cabin Fever
Frailty
Silent Hill
Dead Silence

French and/or Euro
Haute Tension (American release is called High Tension)
The Hills Have Eyes
Irreversible (the worst rape scene but movie is incredible)
Martyrs
Let the Right One In
Wolf Creek

Sci Fi Horror
Sunshine
Event Horizon

Silent Hill was fun, it was done pretty well IMO

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:12 AM
The Original Hills Have Eyes on Friday Fright Night!

Bambi
07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Silent Hill was fun, it was done pretty well IMO

agreed. The computer animated "monsters" weren't really scary but I thought the build up and cinematography were great.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OwFqShcxaQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:21 AM
agreed. The computer animated "monsters" weren't really scary but I thought the build up and cinematography were great.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OwFqShcxaQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've mentioned it earlier, but do you remember Terror-Train w/ Jamie Lee Curtis? I own it and love it.

Bambi
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I've mentioned it earlier, but do you remember Terror-Train w/ Jamie Lee Curtis? I own it and love it.

yes, barely

from that same era... this film freaked me out as a kid

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/SomethingWicked.jpg

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
yes, barely

from that same era... this film freaked me out as a kid

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/SomethingWicked.jpg

ok, yes, i remember it's title, how about funhouse? heheheh

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMoQQ7OsX5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:29 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Up7KHbJTmoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bi_polar
07-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Wickedson, i must know if you've seen Funhouse, I've been more than patient. Can you let me know soon? I have to crash & it's pretty important stuff.

Bambi
07-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Wickedson, i must know if you've seen Funhouse, I've been more than patient. Can you let me know soon? I have to crash & it's pretty important stuff.

no dude I haven't seen it. Just added to my netflix.

Thanks for the heads up bra

Al Bundy
07-30-2011, 12:46 PM
What did you think of Funhouse?

lcarus
07-30-2011, 02:18 PM
As someone who used to be obsessed with the first 2 Silent Hill games, the SH movie was utter garbage.

Bambi
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Just watched the I Spit On Your Grave remake.

Pretty sick, I definitely recommend.

Al Bundy
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eok_-DmBh44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Look like something I'll rent once it's on video and tell anyone who asks that it was ok.

I can't stand the dude who plays the vampire.... what's his name... it's escaping me now.

edit... Colin Farrell, nvm

QuikSsurfer
08-07-2011, 06:58 PM
As someone who used to be obsessed with the first 2 Silent Hill games, the SH movie was utter garbage.

What's wrong with the 3rd? It's still a Team Silent game.

The movie was total crap.

Hog Farmer
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM

I'm still looking for my cat!.

:LOL:

QuikSsurfer
08-07-2011, 07:14 PM
:LOL:

Shouldn't you be polishing swine cock or something?

Al Bundy
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eok_-DmBh44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I myself am really excited for this one. I loved the original.

Al Bundy
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Loved the Fright Night, can't wait for it to come out on blu-ray 3D.

ReynardMuldrake
10-18-2011, 10:10 PM
What was wrong with the Silent Hill movie? It was probably the most faithful game/movie adaptation I've seen.

Al Bundy
04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
What was wrong with the Silent Hill movie? It was probably the most faithful game/movie adaptation I've seen.

I never did see the movie or play the game.

lcarus
04-08-2012, 06:45 PM

I didn't think it was that faithful at all. Maybe the most faithful video game movie, but based on the other video game movies, that isn't saying anything. The mom just ran around the whole movie yelling her kids name. She really didn't have any type of physical altercations with the monsters did she? They nailed the environment of the town, and they used a lot of actual music from the game, but that's all the credit I can give them. As far as the differences, someone pointed some of them out.

Yes, there are more significant differences between the movie and the game. In fact, some aspects of the original game's story were altered so much in the movie that it made important plot points and some of the characters completely different from those in the game. For instance...

The Game: Silent Hill is a quiet little resort town (albeit with a sordid history).
The Movie: Silent Hill is an abandoned mining town (also with a sordid history).

The Game: Cheryl asks her dad to go to Silent Hill for vacation.
The Movie: Rose takes Sharon to Silent Hill to hopefully find some answers about her daughter's past and possibly cure her nightmares and dangerous sleepwalking episodes.

The Game: The cult in Silent Hill is called The Order, and we are only introduced to a few of its followers (it was never made clear exactly how many followers they had). They worship a malignant entity - the "ancient god of the town" - as their god. Dahlia Gillespie is the cult's leader.
The Movie: The cult in the movie is nameless and is simply a warped, fanatical spin-off of Christianity, seemingly Puritan-based. They seem to worship a female god, as seen in the "GOD" painting in the office at the school. Christabella is the cult's leader and Dahlia is an ex-member of the cult, outcast and ostracized by the others.

The Game: The sirens represent the fire trucks' sirens approaching the house as Alessa was being burned alive. The sirens we hear in the game, specifically Silent Hill 1, are supernatural in origin and signal the shift to Alternate Silent Hill (aka - The Otherworld). They also sound after a boss fight to signal the shift back to regular (foggy) Silent Hill.
The Movie: The sirens sit atop the cult's church. They are used by the cult to warn those who are away from the church of the approaching Darkness.

The Game: The pretty blonde nurse in the red sweater is named Lisa Garland. She was the nurse called upon to tend to Alessa secretly in the basement of the hospital. Because of her addiction to PTV (aka - "White Claudia," a drug sold locally in Silent Hill), it is assumed that she may have been bribed by Dr. Michael Kaufmann, the head of Alchemilla Hospital, the presumed head of the town's drug ring and Dahlia's accomplice. Harry interacts with her many times throughout the game.
The Movie: The unnamed Red Nurse was the first person to be hurt after Alessa was burned. She never interacted with Rose, and appeared as simply an innocent victim of Alessa's wrath.

The Game: Alessa was burned in a house fire when she was seven. She is 14 at the start of the game.
The Movie: When Alessa was nine, she was burned by the cult in order to "purify" their town because they thought she was a demon or demonspawn. She is 39 at the start of the movie.

The Game: Alessa has had psionic (i.e. - psychic/telekinetic) powers since she was very young. Her classmates tormented her and called her a witch because of this. Her father is unknown.
The Movie: Although it isn't very clear, it seems to be implied that the movie version of Alessa also had psionic powers, as evidenced by the wilted flowers in her hospital room and her hurting the Red Nurse. However, she was tormented mainly because she had no father. In the cult's eyes, a child with no father could only be the work of a demon, therefore making the child, Alessa, a demon/demonspawn herself.

The Game: After she was burned, Alessa was kept alive by "a magical spell" cast on her by Dahlia. She is kept hidden in the basement of Alchemilla Hospital.
The Movie: Alessa seems to sustain herself through her evil side, Dark Alessa, possibly aided by the Red Nurse. Alessa resides in the basement of Brookhaven Hospital (which is the name of the hospital James explores in Silent Hill 2).

The Game: To thwart Dahlia's evil plans, Alessa used her powers to split her soul in two and housed one half in a newborn baby girl that she willed into existence. It was revealed in Silent Hill: Origins that the other half of Alessa's soul left the baby on the side of the road herself. She is later found by Harry and his wife and named Cheryl.
The Movie: After Alessa was burned, she began harboring an immense hatred for the cult. This hatred grew to the point where it caused her evil side to physically manifest as Dark Alessa. Though it's not clear why she waited so long, 21 years later, Alessa created a physical manifestation of all the goodness left in herself in the form of a newborn baby girl. Then Dark Alessa left the baby on the steps of Brahms Orphanage. The baby girl was eventually adopted by Rose and her husband and named Sharon.

There are many other differences, but I can't really go into those without spoiling important parts of the game's plot. So yeah, there you have it, the spoiler-free edition - lol.

Extra Point
04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
The first "Last House on the Left."

Al Bundy
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I liked the Friday the 13th nintendo game.

Al Bundy
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I did watch Day of the dead and dawn of the dead the other night. I love both of those.

Craqhead
04-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Hellraiser?

Not sure if qualifies tho...

Great quote from the movie tho... "Do I look like someone who cares what God thinks"

Al Bundy
06-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Halloween is getting the blu-ray box set treatment. Looks like it will be quite fun.

DJJasonp
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Halloween is getting the blu-ray box set treatment. Looks like it will be quite fun.

Great news! Both 1 and 2 scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Al Bundy
06-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Great news! Both 1 and 2 scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

#1 is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Looks like the set will be a 15 disc.

Deberg_1990
06-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Halloween 6 producers cut with Paul Rudd!
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Bundy
06-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Halloween 6 producers cut with Paul Rudd!
Posted via Mobile Device

In his worst role ever.

listopencil
06-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Event Horizon

That is a very enjoyable movie.

WhiteWhale
06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
That is a very enjoyable movie.

I own it. Creepy flick.

I know some people love it and some people hate it (there seems to be very few with the 'meh' opinion on it) but I liked it. It was just a haunted house movie in a space-ship... but that's still pretty original.

Rausch
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I absolutely loved Fright Night.

It was "Scream" for the 80's.

Mixed horror, comedy, and satire perfectly.

Unfortunately Fright Night 2 was complete $3it...

Simply Red
06-09-2014, 09:23 AM
I like several - huge horror fan here - Halloween is hard to argue - but Hellraiser holds a special place in my heart. I like the retro feel though.

lcarus
06-09-2014, 09:36 AM

The movie was total crap.

Yeah I love the 3rd game too. But my love really lies with the first 2.

lcarus
06-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I absolutely loved Fright Night.

It was "Scream" for the 80's.

Mixed horror, comedy, and satire perfectly.

Unfortunately Fright Night 2 was complete $3it...

I fucking love Fright Night. I even liked Fright Night 2 somewhat, though I understand how one would consider it shit.

lcarus
06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I like several - huge horror fan here - Halloween is hard to argue - but Hellraiser holds a special place in my heart. I like the retro feel though.

Which Hellraiser sequel do you like the best? Besides Hellraiser 2 obviously. Which Halloween sequel besides 2? I like Hellraiser Inferno (part 5 I think) and for Halloween I like the one where Dr Loomis beats Michael Myers screaming DIE MICHAEL DIE!!! So cheesy and fun. It was 4 or 5.

Simply Red
06-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Which Hellraiser sequel do you like the best? Besides Hellraiser 2 obviously. Which Halloween sequel besides 2? I like Hellraiser Inferno (part 5 I think) and for Halloween I like the one where Dr Loomis beats Michael Myers screaming DIE MICHAEL DIE!!! So cheesy and fun. It was 4 or 5.

I can deal w/ any of the Hellraisers, I liked the original one - also yes - Halloween 1 and Silver Shamrock. Really liked both and own both on actual
DVD

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Leprechaun! /bevis

Simply Red
06-09-2014, 10:00 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qRdUKkxYzXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
06-09-2014, 10:02 AM
ROFL watch that trailer - the girl walking down the stairs is wearing hi-top LA Gear white and pink sneakers - they're a little after the Z Cavaricci era.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2014, 10:04 AM
More JA!

lcarus
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Aniston was bonerific in that movie

frankotank
06-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Evil Dead II is just simply....Groovy.

if you haven't seen it.....ya missing out.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Evil Dead II is just simply....Groovy.

if you haven't seen it.....ya missing out.

What do you think about the new Evil Dead?

Al Bundy
06-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Leprechaun is getting the box set blu-ray treatment as well.

frankotank
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
What do you think about the new Evil Dead?

been a while since I've seen it...but from what I remember it was lacking any and all comedic content. BUT....I don't think the original Evil Dead tried to be funny.

Evil Dead II though....while it does have some super gross shit in it....there is also comedy gold in there. which is what I love about it.
he's cutting off his own possessed hand saying "Who's laughing now!?".

Gold Jerry. Pure Gold.

I didn't think the new Evil Dead was that good. ya gotta gimme a frigging STORY. ya can't just splash blood on the walls and call it a movie.

Swanman
06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
been a while since I've seen it...but from what I remember it was lacking any and all comedic content. BUT....I don't think the original Evil Dead tried to be funny.

Evil Dead II though....while it does have some super gross shit in it....there is also comedy gold in there. which is what I love about it.
he's cutting off his own possessed hand saying "Who's laughing now!?".

Gold Jerry. Pure Gold.

I didn't think the new Evil Dead was that good. ya gotta gimme a frigging STORY. ya can't just splash blood on the walls and call it a movie.

The remake of Evil Dead was good for what it was, and it also paid homage to the originals quite a few times, which was nice to see.

Evil Dead II was just full of great lines and comedy as well as good old fashioned gore. I thought it was a great touch when the book he put on top of the pile to hold his severed hand under the bucket was "A Farewell to Arms".

lcarus
06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
The remake of Evil Dead was good for what it was, and it also paid homage to the originals quite a few times, which was nice to see.

Evil Dead II was just full of great lines and comedy as well as good old fashioned gore. I thought it was a great touch when the book he put on top of the pile to hold his severed hand under the bucket was "A Farewell to Arms".

I saw the Evil Dead remake in theaters and was quite disappointed with it. The characters sucked, there was no comedy, and the creepiness of it was pretty much spoiled in the red band trailer.

Rausch
06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
ROFL watch that trailer - the girl walking down the stairs is wearing hi-top LA Gear white and pink sneakers - they're a little after the Z Cavaricci era.

No, the LA Gear era was 90-93 when Joe Montana was pimping.

Z Cavaricci was about 93-95 time period. I know because it was one of the few brands our Catholic school didn't consider "extreme."

ThaVirus
06-09-2014, 03:10 PM
I was always partial to the Halloween series, with the exception of that Season of the Witch abortion.

I also loved the Leprechauns even though they were atrocious. I've read that they're actually rebooting that series soon LMAO

If you're into 90s horror flicks, you should check out the Wishmaster series. Those are also laughably bad but so enjoyable at the same time.

ThaVirus
06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Anyone remember Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight?

I used to love that one as a kid.

Al Bundy
06-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I was always partial to the Halloween series, with the exception of that Season of the Witch abortion.

I also loved the Leprechauns even though they were atrocious. I've read that they're actually rebooting that series soon LMAO

If you're into 90s horror flicks, you should check out the Wishmaster series. Those are also laughably bad but so enjoyable at the same time.

That's what I hear as well. I think that is the main reason for the box set.

KCUnited
06-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Evilspeak magazine is a pretty good horror rag if you like some older, more obscure slasher/monster/gore flicks.

lcarus
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Shit yeah. I loved that movie as well. I saw it a few years ago and it didn't seem to hold up. Not nearly as good as I remembered. Maybe I was just in a bad mood.

Detoxing
06-09-2014, 05:35 PM

The Crypt Keeper use to scare the living fuck out of me when i was a kid. I'd be watching HBO and when his commercial would come on i'd hide and look away.

Later in life i learned to appreciate his awesomeness....but when i was a kid....fuck that guy.

listopencil
06-10-2014, 01:57 PM
I own it. Creepy flick.

I know some people love it and some people hate it (there seems to be very few with the 'meh' opinion on it) but I liked it. It was just a haunted house movie in a space-ship... but that's still pretty original.

I guess one of things that really got me was...

...when the captain turned. On the first viewing I expected the stereotypical story where he plays the ultimately unbeatable hero. To me it was unusual enough as a film to be entertaining.