PDA

View Full Version : News Like Having 10,000 Spoons And All You Need Is A Knife

BigCatDaddy
07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclist-dies-ride-protesting-helmet-law-

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP)
Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

milkman
07-03-2011, 10:55 AM
That's what you call irony.

Dave Lane
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
And isn't it ironic, don't ya think?

Marco Polo
07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
A little too ironic, and I really do think.

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 11:20 AM
If they didn't have helmet laws he wouldn't have been on that ride, which means he would have lived. Another senseless helmet-related death.

Bump
07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/moran-vzamo0.jpg

CoMoChief
07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
No sense really in having helmet and seatbelt laws.

Not wearing each has no effect on someone else if you were to get in a crash. There are speed limits and such to prevent people from harming others on the road which makes sense. However not wearing a helmet or seatbelt isn't going to harm another vehicle.

I'm not saying that I'm against wearing them, you're dumb for not wearing them because they do prevent certain injuries and sometimes death in automobile accidents, I just don't think there needs to be laws for something that is really a personal choice.

Baconeater
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Not wearing each has no effect on someone else if you were to get in a crash. There are speed limits and such to prevent people from harming others on the road which makes sense. However not wearing a helmet or seatbelt isn't going to harm another vehicle.

I'm not saying that I'm against wearing them, you're dumb for not wearing them because they do prevent certain injuries and sometimes death in automobile accidents, I just don't think there needs to be laws for something that is really a personal choice.
Yes, because people who get their brains scrambled usually have no trouble paying their medical bills and live perfectly normal lives that don't require help from anyone else.

Dumbass....

Baconeater
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
And I'm sure this has no effect whatsoever on the family that has to bury this guy. And I'm sure it had no effect whatsoever on the EMT who had to scrape his ass off the pavement.

CoMoChief
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Yes, because people who get their brains scrambled usually have no trouble paying their medical bills and live perfectly normal lives that don't require help from anyone else.

Dumbass....

Once again, it's a personal choice to wear a helmet or not....there doesn't need to be a law for it. It people wanna be dumbasses and not wear helmets and risk having their brains scrambled should they get into a wreck then that's their fault.

Baconeater
07-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Once again, it's a personal choice to wear a helmet or not....there doesn't need to be a law for it. It people wanna be dumbasses and not wear helmets and risk having their brains scrambled should they get into a wreck then that's their fault.
And saying that is has no effect on anyone else is incredibly ignorant. But it's not really surprising seeing who is making the statement.

KurtCobain
07-03-2011, 11:53 AM
It's effect is job security for the brain/pavement scraping guys.

pr_capone
07-03-2011, 11:59 AM
It's effect is job security for the brain/pavement scraping guys.

You have an incredible for finding the silver lining in everything.

notorious
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Helmet and Seatbelt laws are completely different.

Helmet laws affect one person. Seatbelt laws are there to protect the people that can't protect themselves aka children.

Guru
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM

addition by subtraction

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 12:41 PM

If they move fast, they can find one on the pavement in Onondaga, New York.

Okie_Apparition
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I sure hope a lot of woodland creatures were harmed in the creation of the title of this thread

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm opposed to helmet laws, but that's still great irony. This is Jim Fixx level irony, but with deliberate action serving as the trigger.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/moran-vzamo0.jpgI LOVE that he is wearing a Cards shirt. :thumb:

4th and Long
07-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Not wearing each has no effect on someone else if you were to get in a crash.
Except the people that have to clean it up, the people the dead dumbass left behind and our insurance rates.

LiveSteam
07-03-2011, 02:09 PM
R.U.B's :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
07-03-2011, 02:20 PM
well if we are going to make laws based on what raises insurance rates etc and might raise community costs then we better get busy because we have about a million daily activities that need to be illegal.

Shaid
07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Agree 100%. Once you become an adult you should be able to make personal choices that only affect yourself. Kids, etc. should need to wear them but once you're an adult, you have the free will to be as idiotic as you'd like to be as long as your idiocy doesn't impact me.

Brock
07-03-2011, 02:27 PM
well if we are going to make laws based on what raises insurance rates etc and might raise community costs then we better get busy because we have about a million daily activities that need to be illegal.

We do, it happens every day.

RedNeckRaider
07-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm opposed to helmet laws, but that's still great irony. This is Jim Fixx level irony, but with deliberate action serving as the trigger.

Or...
Busey, a 1978 Oscar nominee for The Buddy Holly Story, was suddenly a statistic, one of an estimated 25,000 Californians to suffer serious injuries in biking accidents this year. Even as he struggled toward recovery, Busey also became the focus of a new battle over whether motorcyclists should have to wear helmets. California law requires headgear only for riders younger than 15, and last year Gary Busey joined other celeb bikers to help defeat legislation demanding helmets for all riders. The day after Busey's accident, Assemblyman Richard Floyd angrily reintroduced his helmet bill.

Frazod
07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Sure fire Darwin nominee. LMAO

mikey23545
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
We should pass a law that allows the government to post brownshirts outside our houses to prevent us from ever leaving the safe little cocoon of our home.

That would really hold medical bills and insurance premiums down...

Baconeater
07-03-2011, 04:44 PM
YEAH FUCK EVERYONE ELSE I'M GONNA DO WHATEVER I WANT

mikey23545
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
YEAH **** EVERYONE ELSE I'M GONNA DO WHATEVER I WANT

I know... you just want the degree of totalitarianism <i>you</i> like for everyone else...

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 04:51 PM
We should pass a law that allows the government to post brownshirts outside our houses to prevent us from ever leaving the safe little cocoon of our home.

That would really hold medical bills and insurance premiums down...

until Will Smith saves us all.

suzzer99
07-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Agree 100%. Once you become an adult you should be able to make personal choices that only affect yourself. Kids, etc. should need to wear them but once you're an adult, you have the free will to be as idiotic as you'd like to be as long as your idiocy doesn't impact me.

OK just please sign that paper that the state can let you die in the street instead of feed you through a straw for the rest of your life when you soon go bankrupt after the accident. Also please put aside some money for the extra time, hassle and emotional trauma you're going to cause the state workers who have to scrape your brains off the pavement.

I agree, if a person could just go die in a field and get eaten by wolves every time they died from not wearing a seatbelt, then fine. But that just isn't the case in a first-world country. Your actions have impact on others, and if costly have to be paid for by others, whether you like it or not.

stevieray
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Also please put aside some money for the extra time, hassle and emotional trauma you're going to cause the state workers who have to scrape your brains off the pavement.

those poor victims.

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 05:15 PM
OK just please sign that paper that the state can let you die in the street instead of feed you threw a straw for the rest of your life when you soon go bankrupt after the accident. Also please put aside some money for the extra time, hassle and emotional trauma you're going to cause the state workers who have to scrape your brains off the pavement.

If you're going to use that argument, it's time to ban any and all transportation, because every form leads to fatalities.

CoMoChief
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Helmet and Seatbelt laws are completely different.

Helmet laws affect one person. Seatbelt laws are there to protect the people that can't protect themselves aka children.

No it's not completely different. They are both used to protect anyone who's occupying the vehicle.

JD10367
07-03-2011, 07:48 PM
OK just please sign that paper that the state can let you die in the street instead of feed you through a straw for the rest of your life when you soon go bankrupt after the accident. Also please put aside some money for the extra time, hassle and emotional trauma you're going to cause the state workers who have to scrape your brains off the pavement.

I agree, if a person could just go die in a field and get eaten by wolves every time they died from not wearing a seatbelt, then fine. But that just isn't the case in a first-world country. Your actions have impact on others, and if costly have to be paid for by others, whether you like it or not.

This.

If you're going to use that argument, it's time to ban any and all transportation, because every form leads to fatalities.

Uh, no. This conversation is not about the safety of modes of transportation. It's about assclowns who choose to ride a motorcycle without the common-sense safety equipment. Which is fine by me, since I'm a bit of a libertarian and think you should be allowed to do whatever you want, no matter how stupid, if the only person you're putting at risk is yourself. When you get your motorcycle license, you sign something that says, "If I ride without a helmet, I agree to assume all risk and if I end up a vegetable the state has my permission to pull my plug."

Mr. Laz
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
no sky diving
no flying in aircraft at all
no drinking
no smoking
cars should have governors that max their speed at 55mph
no cookies,candy ... hell, no sugar in food at all
no artery hardening,fat-filled fast food

shit the list is endless

I bet eating shitty food cost society literally a million times more money each year than no seat belt victims. The only reason that seat belt law made it into effect is because is allows them to hand out more tickets and make money.

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
...Uh, no. This conversation is not about the safety of modes of transportation. It's about assclowns who choose to ride a motorcycle without the common-sense safety equipment. Which is fine by me, since I'm a bit of a libertarian and think you should be allowed to do whatever you want, no matter how stupid, if the only person you're putting at risk is yourself. When you get your motorcycle license, you sign something that says, "If I ride without a helmet, I agree to assume all risk and if I end up a vegetable the state has my permission to pull my plug."

No, that's not what the point was about. If you're going to bitch about people dying, you probably shouldn't be doing it with regards to driving, since the seat belt issue is obviously not the main problem, and neither is the helmet law. As for the rest, I'll just leave as us disagreeing.

Dave Lane
07-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I know... you just want the degree of totalitarianism <i>you</i> like for everyone else...

And isn't it ironic? Don't you think? A little too ironic, I really do think.

JD10367
07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
No, that's not what the point was about. If you're going to bitch about people dying, you probably shouldn't be doing it with regards to driving, since the seat belt issue is obviously not the main problem, and neither is the helmet law. As for the rest, I'll just leave as us disagreeing.

No, you're making more of this than there's reason to. It's not about "people dying" or "the seat belt issue". It's pretty simple. Motorcycles. Helmets. The wearing or not wearing of. If you choose to ride on a two-wheeled open-air vehicle that travels at tremendous speed and carries great risk of toppling you to the pavement at 60+ miles an hour and squishing your brains all over the road, it sort of makes common sense to wear a fucking helmet and not to risk dying because you think it makes your dick look smaller... but, again, if you choose not to, good for you, enjoy your Darwin Award when you die, as long as we, the taxpayers, don't have to feed you through a tube for a decade because you're an idiot.

BigRichard
07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
And saying that is has no effect on anyone else is incredibly ignorant. But it's not really surprising seeing who is making the statement.

So we shouldn't allow you to own a gun either right?

BigRichard
07-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Except the people that have to clean it up, the people the dead dumbass left behind and our insurance rates.

What hurts insurance rates more, someone who dies in a wreck or someone who spends 3 months in a hospital bed?

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 08:15 PM
No, you're making more of this than there's reason to. It's not about "people dying" or "the seat belt issue". It's pretty simple. Motorcycles. Helmets. The wearing or not wearing of. If you choose to ride on a two-wheeled open-air vehicle that travels at tremendous speed and carries great risk of toppling you to the pavement at 60+ miles an hour and squishing your brains all over the road, it sort of makes common sense to wear a ****ing helmet and not to risk dying because you think it makes your dick look smaller... but, again, if you choose not to, good for you, enjoy your Darwin Award when you die, as long as we, the taxpayers, don't have to feed you through a tube for a decade because you're an idiot.

First, the "not to risk" argument is a crock of shit. You risk dying every time you drive.

Second, people are required by law to get insurance, so your notion of them having to sign away things they've paid for is not very well thought out. If you wish to get mandatory insurance repealed, I'm with you on that.

Third, the whole penis size argument is ****ing pathetic. When you're resorting to it, you've already lost.

BigRichard
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Why not just outlaw motorcycles? They are not safe compared to other forms of transportation. JFC I get sick of this shit.

If I want safety in the first place I don't buy a fucking motorcycle.

BigRichard
07-03-2011, 08:38 PM
According to the following document we probably need to outlaw firearms, any type of motor vehicle, and probably poison and pools too:

http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/Unintentional_2007-a.pdf

There is probably a more recent one but I am guessing they are probably pretty close.

Just Passin' By
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
In 2004, of all children 1-4 years old who died, 26% died from drowning (CDC 2006). Fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years (CDC 2005)

A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under.

http://www.poseidon-tech.com/us/statistics.html

Time to ban swimming. It's for the children.

headsnap
07-03-2011, 08:48 PM
The world needs more organ donors! :thumb:

Demonpenz
07-04-2011, 12:49 AM
sorry for your loss