PDA

View Full Version : Life Dry rub recipes

Dunit35
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm tired of looking for a good dry run recipe online. I only have a propane grill and around here the best smoker for sale is a wal Mart $69 small brinkman. I'm wanting to cook a 3 lb slab of pork spareribs tomorrow and cant find a solid rub or way to cook it through the net.

I know there is a thread somewhere. So, if anyone wants to show great customer service and point me in the right direction or just tell me the rub and the best way to cook them.

I did buy a small smoker box and some chips.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-03-2011, 11:01 PM
My first dry rub was with a girl named Vicky.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I just got a small Brinkman. I used it to smoke some Brats. Came out alright.

As far as rubs, I just use brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder.

I wanna try some ribs in mine.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:12 PM
My first dry rub was with a girl named Vicky.Nice

KurtCobain
07-03-2011, 11:13 PM
My first dry rub was with a girl named Vicky.

Icky Vicky or Slick Vick?

SLAG
07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Try this:

1 Tablespoon lemon Peel
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Table Spoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon msg
1/2 tablespoon of each: black, cayenne, white pepper
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of sugar

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Icky Vicky or Slick Vick?

She was real cute and a preachers daughter... which means slut.

KurtCobain
07-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice.

Dunit35
07-03-2011, 11:24 PM
I just got a small Brinkman. I used it to smoke some Brats. Came out alright.

As far as rubs, I just use brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder.

I wanna try some ribs in mine.

Let me know how it turns out. Might cave in and buy it.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Let me know how it turns out. Might cave in and buy it.The problem I see with this is trying to smoke a shoulder or a brisket. It takes several hours for those and the wood/charcoal pan isnt big enough to hold 10 hours worth of ashes.

Dunit35
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
The problem I see with this is trying to smoke a shoulder or a brisket. It takes several hours for those and the wood/charcoal pan isnt big enough to hold 10 hours worth of ashes.

Was that brinkman one a 2 door for around $69.

As for the ingredients I currently have:

Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powder, chili powder, brown sugar, dried mustard, celery salt, oregano.

What about a sauce? Im ready to rub this stuff overnight, no?

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Was that brinkman one a 2 door for around $69.

As for the ingredients I currently have:

Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powder, chili powder, brown sugar, dried mustard, celery salt, oregano.

What about a sauce? Im ready to rub this stuff overnight, no?http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/852-7006-0-l.jpgI have this one.

You can rub and marinate overnite wrapped in foil. I do when I slow-roast ribs in the oven.

Dunit35
07-03-2011, 11:43 PM
So many different websites say: cook them low at 250 or 225 away from direct heat for either 1, 1.5, 2-4 hours.

Well, what's the best way to cook it? I've figured out that indirect is best, beyond that I'm unsure of. Do I wrap them in foil, temp and how long?

Dunit35
07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/852-7006-0-l.jpgI have this one.

You can rub and marinate overnite wrapped in foil. I do when I slow-roast ribs in the oven.

Yeah, looks to be the same size.

I marinate and rub them? I thought it was rub way before and than juice m up with something 30 minutes before they are done?

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:45 PM
I dont use a lot of sauce. I live in Ohio, so I'm restricted to national brands. Sweet Baby Rays and Jack Daniels are my favorites.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah, looks to be the same size.

I marinate and rub them? I thought it was rub way before and than juice m up with something 30 minutes before they are done?I put a generous rub on, then wrap them in foil. The brown sugar breaks down into the fat and marinates into the meat, allowing the other seasonings to follow.

BigMeatballDave
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
You can sauce while they are smoking.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-03-2011, 11:57 PM
I dont use a lot of sauce. I live in Ohio, so I'm restricted to national brands. Sweet Baby Rays and Jack Daniels are my favorites.

Yikes! At least make a play for Stubbs at Wal-Mart...

Dunit35
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I put a generous rub on, then wrap them in foil. The brown sugar breaks down into the fat and marinates into the meat, allowing the other seasonings to follow.

How much of each do you mix?

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Yikes! At least make a play for Stubbs at Wal-Mart...I will have to make a point to look for that. Remenber, I'm in Ohio, they are very BBQ ignorant around here.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2011, 12:09 AM
How much of each do you mix?Thats a trial and error. I use a lot more brown sugar than anything else though. Season to taste.

Phobia
07-04-2011, 01:12 AM

Those ingredients are a quality dry rub. You do that and cook according to the instructions I sent and you won't even necessarily need a sauce. I actually prefer dry ribs.

MOhillbilly
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM
i use Bad Byrons and add brown sugar.

RJ
07-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Depends on what you like but a good start is:

2 TB salt
2 TB paprika
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB black pepper

That gives you a base. From there you might add -in teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon increments - other spices like garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, etc.. It really just depends on what you're cooking and what sort of flavor you're after. I've learned for instance that on brisket I like a very simple rub of salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic.

RNR
07-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Depends on what you like but a good start is:

2 TB salt
2 TB paprika
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB black pepper

That gives you a base. From there you might add -in teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon increments - other spices like garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, etc.. It really just depends on what you're cooking and what sort of flavor you're after. I've learned for instance that on brisket I like a very simple rub of salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic.

Happy 4th good sir~

Dunit35
07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Ribs are in the fridge. I'm throwing some smoked sausage and chicken on the grill after the ribs. One of our guests doesnt eat dark meat.

Going to be a good dinner tonight.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I've been using John Henry's pecan rub for a while now on everything except ribs. The product seems to enhance pork and chicken extremely well without overwhelming it:

http://store.bbqgalore.com/store/product/3821/John-Henry%27s-Texas-Size-Pecan-Rub-/

For ribs though, I want to be overwhelmed so I go with a traditional, salty, Kansas City-style rub.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Isnt chili powder and cumin a tad overkill?

I like to add cumin to my rub sometimes, but there is a good amount of cumin in chili powder.