PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security TSA Can Grope Dying Old Ladies; But Can't Catch Guy Boarding Flight Illegally?

KILLER_CLOWN
07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
from the security-theater dept

Apparently the TSA's Security Theater is a comedy. Pjerky was the first of a whole bunch of you to alert us last week about the TSA's massive failure to catch a Nigerian man who boarded a flight without a valid boarding pass. The man successfully flew from New York to Los Angeles. Apparently, the flight crew discovered they had a stowaway after people complained about the man's smell (even though he was seated in a seat). I'm not quite sure how complaining about someone's smell leads to them being found out as a stowaway, but what I do know is that the guy was not arrested when the flight landed. Instead, he was taken into custody a few days later when he tried to do it again by getting on a Delta flight from LA to Atlanta without a boarding pass. This time, the FBI took him in, but later released him. Meanwhile, the TSA was busy groping 95-year-old cancer patients.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110702/01460214949/tsa-can-grope-dying-old-ladies-cant-catch-guy-boarding-flight-illegally.shtml

orange
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
The TSA is not the ticket checker for the airline. That's their fault.

Unless of course you're calling for the government to start checking people's tickets for the airlines.

KILLER_CLOWN
07-06-2011, 12:36 AM

Unless of course you're calling for the government to start checking people's tickets for the airlines.

You would think since they can grab you by the balls or the breasts they could actually stop a foul smelling foreigner from Nigeria by actually asking to see the ticket.

Amnorix
07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
errr...I think it's TSA, but the airports I've gone through lately were thorough in checking boarding pass against valid ID before they make you go through the usual round of removing belt, shoes, etc. etc., passing through security etc. into the secured area.

A review of the underlying story indicates he was screened by TSA, but apparently his flight documents weren't valid. So he was a stowaway, but apparently a harmless one as he'd been scanned etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/30/flight.stowaway/index.html?iref=obnetwork

petegz28
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Actually THEY ARE! They ALWAYS check your ticket against your ID when going through security.

orange
07-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Aviation security consultant Doug Laird, a former Northwest Airlines security director, said there were multiple failures. "The TSA is at fault, because he never should have made it past the checkpoint," Laird said. "The gate agent (at Virgin America) is at fault, because he should not have been allowed down the jet way."

Laird also criticizes Virgin America's "lead flight attendant," because the "head count" of seated passengers shouldn't have matched the list of passengers with tickets for the flight.

http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2011-07-01-stowaway-_ST_U.htm

Brock
07-06-2011, 09:22 AM
TSA shouldn't let anyone through who stinks.

orange
07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I think the stinking came later. Airline food. :p

orange
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints
Airtravel

Identity Matters
Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S.

This standardization of the list of accepted documents better aligns TSA with other DHS components, including Customs and Border Protection, and REAL ID benchmarks.

orange
07-06-2011, 09:52 AM
As I asked originally KILLER_CLOWN, are you suggesting that the TSA should tighten up their standards?

vailpass
07-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Aviation security consultant Doug Laird, a former Northwest Airlines security director, said there were multiple failures. "The TSA is at fault, because he never should have made it past the checkpoint," Laird said. "The gate agent (at Virgin America) is at fault, because he should not have been allowed down the jet way."

Laird also criticizes Virgin America's "lead flight attendant," because the "head count" of seated passengers shouldn't have matched the list of passengers with tickets for the flight.

http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2011-07-01-stowaway-_ST_U.htm

This, this and that. Fail all the way around.

Last couple of times I've flown commercial I've had my boarding pass texted to me then put my phone under the scanner. Any chance making the whole ticket process electronic would help or would that more likely open doors for widespread e-fraud?

mikey23545
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
We let a Kenyan sneak into the country years ago who has already done far more damage than any ordinary terrorist could do.

KILLER_CLOWN
07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
As I asked originally KILLER_CLOWN, are you suggesting that the TSA should tighten up their standards?

I'm suggesting if they can strip you down naked they could actually , well you know ask to see your papers. I think most are willing to show they actually paid for a ticket before they bare all.

Jaric
07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Why would they want to grope some stinky nigerian man when there are elderly women wearing diapers to molest?

2bikemike
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
We let a Kenyan sneak into the country years ago who has already done far more damage than any ordinary terrorist could do.

Nice :bravo:

planetdoc
04-23-2014, 05:47 PM
TSA Gives Full-Body Pat-Downs to 2-YO Boy, 6 yr Old Sister (http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/23/video-tsa-agents-give-full-body-pat-downs-2-year-old-boy-older-sister)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LZBBR9tSCPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
In a video that is quickly going viral, a shocked father recorded TSA agents giving his young children full-body pat-downs. His son was just two years old, while his daughter was six years old.

In 2011, the TSA announced that it would modify its policy to reduce the likelihood of pat-downs of children under 12.

planetdoc
07-11-2014, 07:55 PM
EXCLUSIVE: TSA Allowing Illegals to Fly Without Verifiable ID, Says Border Patrol Union (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/07/11/Exclusive-TSA-Allowing-Illegals-to-Fly-Without-Verifiable-ID-Says-Border-Patrol-Union)
(highlights)
Illegal aliens are being allowed to fly on commercial airliners without valid identification, according to the National Border Patrol Council (NBPC). “The aliens who are getting released on their own recognizance are being allowed to board and travel commercial airliners by simply showing their Notice to Appear forms,” NBPC’s Local 2455 Spokesman, Hector Garza, told Breitbart Texas.

“This is not the CBP [Customs and Border Protection] or another federal agency renting or leasing an aircraft, these are the same planes that the American public uses for domestic travel,” said Garza. “This just adds insult to injury. Not only are we releasing unknown illegal aliens onto American streets, but we are allowing them to travel commercially using paperwork that could easily be reproduced or manipulated on any home computer. The Notice to Appear form has no photo, anyone can make one and manipulate one. They do not have any security features, no watermark, nothing. They are simply printed on standard copy paper based on the information the illegal alien says is the truth.”

cosmo20002
07-11-2014, 08:07 PM
EXCLUSIVE: TSA Allowing Illegals to Fly Without Verifiable ID, Says Border Patrol Union (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/07/11/Exclusive-TSA-Allowing-Illegals-to-Fly-Without-Verifiable-ID-Says-Border-Patrol-Union)
(highlights)

It's a little-known fact that you don't actually need ID to fly. There will be extra scrutiny and they might give you a cavity search, but there's not actually an ID requirement.

Dayze
07-11-2014, 09:14 PM
settle down. we're all safer because of the TSA

cosmo20002
07-11-2014, 10:11 PM
settle down. we're all safer because of the TSA

The lack of major security incidents agrees with you.

---But the underwear guy!

I guess we could go back to that perfect system that we had before TSA. When was that again?

Psyko Tek
07-11-2014, 10:49 PM
It's a little-known fact that you don't actually need ID to fly. There will be extra scrutiny and they might give you a cavity search, but there's not actually an ID requirement.

thinking I will carry ID

Dayze
07-12-2014, 12:11 AM
meter check...

2bikemike
07-12-2014, 12:12 AM
My 85 year old father in law had a run in with TSA agent at the RDU airport last week. Apparantnly the TSA agent pulled out a token from his pocket and said something to the effect "you see this Marine Corps Token? I fought so you could have the freedom to fly!" My father inlaw informed the TSA agent "not to hurt himself on my father inlaws purple heart during the pat down."

A Salt Weapon
07-12-2014, 07:59 AM
The lack of major security incidents agrees with you.

---But the underwear guy!

I guess we could go back to that perfect system that we had before TSA. When was that again?

I believe that was called freedom.

loochy
07-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Freedom isn't free!

We'll put a boot in your ass - it's the American way!

cosmo20002
07-12-2014, 08:29 AM

You're free to walk your ass to Cleveland if you don't want to take your shoes off at security.

CoMoChief
07-12-2014, 09:10 AM

except there are signs everywhere inside terminals that say you need one.

next time you fly cosmo, don't bring any ID...and see what happens. ROFL

Bwana
07-12-2014, 09:18 AM
My 85 year old father in law had a run in with TSA agent at the RDU airport last week. Apparantnly the TSA agent pulled out a token from his pocket and said something to the effect "you see this Marine Corps Token? I fought so you could have the freedom to fly!" My father inlaw informed the TSA agent "not to hurt himself on my father inlaws purple heart during the pat down."

Yeah they're not paid very well and a lot of them walk around with that clueless deer in the headlight look. Most of them have that look like they are not smart enough to make the cut to become a "real cop" earning a real wage, so that's where they end up. It's either Mickey D's or TSA.

I pissed one off a couple of years ago when I whipped out two dollars and offered it to him after a pat down. I told him the last time I got worked over like that I was laying next to a pole at a bachelor party. For some reason he didn't take that well. :shrug:

http://img.hobowars.com/fn_photos/l_16366__homelandsecurity.jpg

cosmo20002
07-12-2014, 10:02 AM
except there are signs everywhere inside terminals that say you need one.

next time you fly cosmo, don't bring any ID...and see what happens. ROFL

You don't need one. Look it up.

gochiefs_va
07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I just came through Chicago from japan. And I had to show my passport a total of 5 times. One of which was an automated passport scanner.

Not only was the line for Americans twice as long as thr foreigner one, they only talk to one person. We go through one quick passport check, into another line for thr machine (which also checks your passport), out that line into another to talk to yet another dhs person, to then go through to another tsa agent...all then back through security again where you have to then disrobe and show passport again.

Such redundant levels of bullshit that dont make us one iota safer

LiveSteam
07-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I just came through Chicago from japan. And I had to show my passport a total of 5 times. One of which was an automated passport scanner.

Not only was the line for Americans twice as long as thr foreigner one, they only talk to one person. We go through one quick passport check, into another line for thr machine (which also checks your passport), out that line into another to talk to yet another dhs person, to then go through to another tsa agent...all then back through security again where you have to then disrobe and show passport again.

Such redundant levels of bullshit that dont make us one iota safer

You're free to buy a canoe & paddle your ass back to America. {Obama's faverit Butt plug}

go bowe
07-12-2014, 03:28 PM
You're free to buy a canoe & paddle your ass back to America. {Obama's faverit Butt plug}

but have you actually tracked obama's butt plug use to verify that cosmo is his favorite, or are you just being a meanie?

planetdoc
07-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Fake screener probes women at airport until TSA finally realizes he wasn't an employee (http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross/2014/07/16/fake-screener-probes-passengers-at-sfo/)
aw enforcement sources tell us the incident started when Slighton entered the security area wearing khaki pants, a blue polo shirt and blue rubber gloves — an outfit that might have been mistaken for those worn by screeners with the private Covenant security firm.

Slighton, apparently without saying much, steered a woman into one of the private screening booths used to pat down selected passengers, our sources say. What happened inside isn’t known, because the woman, who was Asian, soon disappeared to catch an international flight.

A few minutes later, Slighton allegedly directed a second woman toward the booth, our sources say. This time, however, he caught the attention of real screeners, who figured something was wrong because male screeners are prohibited from taking women into the booth for a pat-down without a female screener also being present.

If they have trouble spotting a fake among them how are they going to spot bad people trying to get on planes?

cosmo20002
07-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Fake screener probes women at airport until TSA finally realizes he wasn't an employee (http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross/2014/07/16/fake-screener-probes-passengers-at-sfo/)

If they have trouble spotting a fake among them how are they going to spot bad people trying to get on planes?

With x-ray machines and stuff :shrug:

He "probed" a total of 1 person before caught, by the way.

planetdoc
07-17-2014, 09:24 PM
With x-ray machines and stuff :shrug:

they dont use x-ray machines (unneccessary ionizing radiation exposure)

He "probed" a total of 1 person before caught, by the way.

2 people.

cosmo20002
07-17-2014, 09:26 PM
they dont use x-ray machines (unneccessary ionizing radiation exposure)

2 people.

Close enough for you to know what I mean.

And it was 1 person. He was caught while directing person #2 to the probing area prior to the intended probing.

planetdoc
07-17-2014, 09:31 PM
And it was 1 person. He was caught while directing person #2 to the probing area prior to the intended probing.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/apparently-drunk-man-arrested-for-posing-as-tsa-agent-patting-down-woman-at-sfo/ (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/apparently-drunk-man-arrested-for-posing-as-tsa-agent-patting-down-woman-at-sfo/)
groped two unsuspecting women, both foreigners, in a private booth for security pat downs.

cosmo20002
07-17-2014, 10:04 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/apparently-drunk-man-arrested-for-posing-as-tsa-agent-patting-down-woman-at-sfo/ (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/apparently-drunk-man-arrested-for-posing-as-tsa-agent-patting-down-woman-at-sfo/)

Different link. Guess they need to get their stories straight.

HonestChieffan
07-17-2014, 10:09 PM

They don't spot bad people. They make sure water bottles dont get into gate areas and they check for shoe bombs and such. And they fill jobs.