PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security U.S. Warns Airlines on Human Bomb Implants

Donger
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
And here we go...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303365804576429741400016376.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Militants from al Qaeda's branch in Yemen are mulling plans to surgically implant explosive devices in would-be suicide bombers, possibly targeting airlines, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

That intelligence about al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, considered the group's most dangerous affiliate, led the Obama administration to warn foreign governments and American and international airline executives over the past several days that terrorists might attempt to board planes with explosives concealed in their bodies.

"It's more than aspirational," a U.S. official said. "They're trying to make this happen."

The Department of Homeland Security hasn't warned of a specific plot, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters. But the specter of militants carrying bombs within them will prompt additional security measures at U.S. airports and overseas airports serving U.S. destinations, the Transportation Security Administration said in a written release.

Mr. Carney said terrorists have repeatedly expressed interest in trying new techniques to conceal explosives.

"That fact that terrorists are interested in finding ways to attack us is pretty much self-evident," Mr. Carney said. "Our security procedures are multifaceted, and we adjust them according to the threat all the time."

U.S. officials have become increasingly worried about plots emanating from Yemen, where a popular uprising against the country's authoritarian leader and tribal clashes have created a security vacuum in which al Qaeda can operate more freely.

The U.S. official said that the administration isn't aware of an imminent plot involving implanted bombs, but the effort represents the next generation of plans following the botched attempt by al Qaeda's Yemeni affiliate on Christmas Day 2009 to down a Detroit-bound airliner with a bomb sewn into the bomber's underwear.

In recent years, the TSA has added hundreds of new full-body screening machines to scores of airports to complement metal detectors and help detect hard-to-find items that could pose a security threat.

However, the new scanners wouldn't be able to identify explosive devices implanted inside a body, which has prompted many security experts to push for alternative security measures, including profiling a passenger's behavior and demeanor to identify potential security risks.

"What technology can we use? The simple answer is the human brain—that's the only way to address the threat," said Philip Baum, founder of Green Light Limited, an aviation-security consultancy in London. Given that drug smugglers have implanted contraband for years, he said he is surprised that terrorists haven't yet tried to do the same with explosives.

Despite initial speculation that an al Qaeda terrorist used implanted explosives in a failed bid to assassinate a key Saudi Arabian minister in the summer of 2009, U.S. security officials concluded that the explosive device was hidden in the man's underwear—exactly the same technique used four months later in the Detroit plot.

durtyrute
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
The word terrorist was used four times in that article.........are you scared yet?

Jaric
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Clearly the answer is to submit to a full medical exam for every passenger before boarding a plane.

ROYC75
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Time to x-ray humans boarding airplanes?

HonestChieffan
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
need detonators in the parking lots

durtyrute
07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Probes...........PROBES!!!!

vailpass
07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
How about we establish separate airports/planes for those who don't wish to submit to security procedures?

go bowe
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
How about we establish separate airports/planes for those who don't wish to submit to security procedures?

it would be fine with me, especially if they lowered the ticket cost to reflect no expenditures on security...

vailpass
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
it would be fine with me, especially if they lowered the ticket cost to reflect no expenditures on security...

I'm guessing any price break you got on no security would be more than offset on what you would have to pay pilots to take on suicide missions.
But hey, at least people wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of going through security.

Seriously though, would you fly commercial that had no security?

Brock
07-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I doubt you'd be fine with it. No security, no metal detector, any idiot can get on a plane with a gun? Yeah, no.

Bowser
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I doubt you'd be fine with it. No security, no metal detector, any idiot can get on a plane with a gun? Yeah, no.

Darwinism Airlines. I'm all for it. I'll just suck it up and drive, hoping that a plane doesn't fall out of the sky and onto my head.

BigRichard
07-06-2011, 11:53 AM

How about they seperate them by ones that are willing to profile passengers. I would be fine with that.

vailpass
07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
How about they seperate them by ones that are willing to profile passengers. I would be fine with that.

Yep. Profiling should be a no-brainer. As with many other aspects of current US life we have hamstrung ourselves, victims to our own ideology taken to extremes by a vocal minority.
Once times get so tough we can no longer afford to indulge the liberal agenda, when we are forced by necessity to return to practicality, the pendulum will swing back and America will once again have steel in her resolve and be a force with which to reckon.

teedubya
07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Scare tactic to get the masses to believe that the scanners are a worthwhile security measure.

Saulbadguy
07-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Could someone survive surgery implanting a bomb inside of them?

vailpass
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Scare tactic to get the masses to believe that the scanners are a worthwhile security measure.

Why shouldn't the scanner makers get theirs? You and yours certainly keep the reynolds wrap people in the green.

Jaric
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Stop asking questions and PANIC!

Radar Chief
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Yes, its been done in a failed assassination attempt.

Edit: I take that back, the explosive wasn’t surgically implanted it was shoved up his rectum.

LONDON, Sept. 28, 2009
Al Qaeda Bombers Learn from Drug Smugglers
New Technique of Storing Bomb Materials Inside Body Cavity Nearly Kills a Saudi Prince

(CBS) Al Qaeda has developed a new tactic that allows suicide bombers to breach even the tightest security, as CBS News correspondent Sheila MacVicar reports.

Inside a Saudi palace, the scene was the bloody aftermath of an al Qaeda attack in August aimed at killing Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef, head of Saudi Arabia's counter terrorism operations.

To get his bomb into this room, Abdullah Asieri, one of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, avoided detection by two sets of airport security including metal detectors and palace security. He spent 30 hours in the close company of the prince's own secret service agents - all without anyone suspecting a thing.

How did he do it?

Taking a trick from the narcotics trade - which has long smuggled drugs in body cavities - Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum.

http://oldironsides-thesilentmajority.blogspot.com/2010/11/homeland-security-and-tsa-manage-to.html

Rain Man
07-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I hate al-quaeda. They serve no useful purpose in life.

Dave Lane
07-06-2011, 12:13 PM

long enough to blow themselves up? Sure I suppose.

philfree
Seems to me that we should carpet bomb Yemen into dust.

Jaric
I hate al-quaeda. They serve no useful purpose in life.

Thousands of TSA and DHLS employees respectfully disagree with you.

Bump
07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Oil CEO's just got a boner

Saulbadguy
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
long enough to blow themselves up? Sure I suppose.

Man, I don't know. They'd be struggling for sure.

scott free
07-06-2011, 12:34 PM
The first obvious step to take, is to kill Christopher Nolan for giving them this dastardly idea.

Chocolate Hog
07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
So when do we implant the whole middle east with nukes?

ROYC75
07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Taking a trick from the narcotics trade - which has long smuggled drugs in body cavities - Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum.

http://oldironsides-thesilentmajority.blogspot.com/2010/11/homeland-security-and-tsa-manage-to.html

This brings a new meaning to , " Fire in the Hole " ! :eek:

These idiots will do anything for the attention.

Hydrae
07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Yes, its been done in a failed assassination attempt.

Edit: I take that back, the explosive wasn’t surgically implanted it was shoved up his rectum.

LONDON, Sept. 28, 2009
Al Qaeda Bombers Learn from Drug Smugglers
New Technique of Storing Bomb Materials Inside Body Cavity Nearly Kills a Saudi Prince

(CBS) Al Qaeda has developed a new tactic that allows suicide bombers to breach even the tightest security, as CBS News correspondent Sheila MacVicar reports.

Inside a Saudi palace, the scene was the bloody aftermath of an al Qaeda attack in August aimed at killing Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef, head of Saudi Arabia's counter terrorism operations.

To get his bomb into this room, Abdullah Asieri, one of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, avoided detection by two sets of airport security including metal detectors and palace security. He spent 30 hours in the close company of the prince's own secret service agents - all without anyone suspecting a thing.

How did he do it?

From the OP:

Despite initial speculation that an al Qaeda terrorist used implanted explosives in a failed bid to assassinate a key Saudi Arabian minister in the summer of 2009, U.S. security officials concluded that the explosive device was hidden in the man's underwear—exactly the same technique used four months later in the Detroit plot.

I have no idea which is correct but I believe these are talking about the same occurrence.

Radar Chief
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
From the OP:

I have no idea which is correct but I believe these are talking about the same occurrence.

Certainly sounds like it.

Rooster
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
As an American, I will personally check the breasts of any female that I believe could be packing explosive boobies. It won't be easy but I gotta do something.:evil:

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I call bullshit. Show me...

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
The first obvious step to take, is to kill Christopher Nolan for giving them this dastardly idea.

He didn't make that shit up

ROYC75
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
As an American, I will personally check the breasts of any female that I believe could be packing explosive boobies. It won't be easy but I gotta do something.:evil:

The nipples detonate any bombs.

BucEyedPea
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Definitely a scare tactic....NeoCons, like Donger, love them. They grow the state and keep us in perpetual war.

ForeverChiefs58
07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
when they start doing cavity searches I'm taking the train/driving.

Donger
07-06-2011, 04:18 PM

I don't believe that the millimeter wave/back scatter scanners would detect an implanted device.

Fish
07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Ass bombs.... just great........