PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Western US Oil. Interesting claims, wonder how accurate?

HonestChieffan
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
(Washington Examiner) — America’s energy-rich western states stretching from North Dakota and Montana on the Canadian border to New Mexico on the Southern border can produce enough oil and natural gas to replace what America presently imports from Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Columbia, Algeria, Iraq, Russia, Venzuela, and Kuwait, according to a new study conducted for the Western Energy Alliance.

The study was conducted for the alliance by EIS, with data analysis provided by ICF.

According to the study’s executive summary, the western states can produce as much as 1.3 million barrels of oil per day by 2020, and 6.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas annually by the same year.

Other finds of the study include:

Investment in western energy development could increase to $58 billion annually by 2020. This prospective growth is more than double the investment made in 2010.
The number of direct, indirect and induced jobs in the oil and natural gas sector is projected to increase by 16% to 504,120 by 2020.
Annual state severance tax collections in the West are projected to increase from $2.1 billion in 2010 to $5.6 billion by 2020, generating a significant revenue windfall for schools, infrastructure and other basic services.
The complete study can be read http://westernenergyalliance.org/blueprint/.

durtyrute
07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Why are we so worried about oil?

Donger
07-12-2011, 03:58 PM
We import ~10 million barrels/per day now.

FishingRod
07-13-2011, 09:13 AM
So just for argument sake let’s say we were to produce all of our own energy instead of importing oil from our “Friends” around the world. How much more expensive would it have to be to come out on the minus side of the ledger if one takes into account the increased jobs, increased taxes and money saved because would no longer have a national interest in policing the Middle east? It would certainly run against the grain of the current blame big business for all that is wrong in the world but the Government would probably have to create additional incentives to make it worth the oil companies while but just imagine the benefits of energy self sufficiency.

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
USA hit peak oil like 40 years ago. The only plentiful sources we have are shale and sands which are inaccesdible for the most part.

Donger
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
USA hit peak oil like 40 years ago. The only plentiful sources we have are shale and sands which are inaccesdible for the most part.

No, we didn't.

BigCatDaddy
07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
No, we didn't.

LMAO Knew that was coming.

RaiderH8r
07-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Hubbard didn't accurately account for technology in his model. He couldn't imagine horizontal drilling, hydraulic fracturing, 3d seismic, down hole monitoring and a whole host of other technologies that are making more reserves recoverable.

We've also got a few TCF of natural gas lurking around the country. That's a btu or two of energy right there as well. Pretty sweet.

Hog Farmer
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
You dipshits. It's a long established fact we have enough oil to supply ourselves for the next 200 years. The plan is to use theirs first . Geez!

petegz28
07-13-2011, 10:09 PM
You dipshits. It's a long established fact we have enough oil to supply ourselves for the next 200 years. The plan is to use theirs first . Geez!

I gotta hand a THIS to the hog jerking guy.

Hog Farmer
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I gotta hand a THIS to the hog jerking guy.

I'll take your hand and gladly use it . Maybe twice. :D

petegz28
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll take your hand and gladly use it . Maybe twice. :D

I've suddenly considered becoming Jewish. :)

listopencil
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I wonder how much oil they have left?

ChiTown
07-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Oil and Gas Shale is where it is at. I work almost exclusively in this portion of the energy sector.

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Oil and Gas Shale is where it is at. I work almost exclusively in this portion of the energy sector.

How do you get over the Captain Planet wingnuts opposing such endeavors?

ChiTown
07-13-2011, 10:49 PM
How do you get over the Captain Planet wingnuts opposing such endeavors?

I sleep well, and have a nice bank account.:D

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I sleep well, and have a nice bank account.:D

No, I mean the redtape blocking mining and the like.

ChiTown
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Those are fringe lunatics that have half facts - kind of like the 911 Truthers.:D

Shale Gas is booming in this Country and Shale Oil is really going to boom in the coming years - especially in South Texas (Eagleford Shale) and North Dakota (Bakken Shale)

prhom
07-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Some of the inaccessibility is technical (which will eventually be overcome with enough R&D and incentive) and some of the inaccessibility is political. You can't forget that a VERY high percentage of wilderness and wilderness study area land is in the western US. That land is off-limits unless congress decides otherwise.

prhom
07-13-2011, 11:14 PM

It's very hard to get past that red tape when it comes to mining. The O&G industry is allowed to do things that miners can't even think about without getting shut down.

ChiTown
07-13-2011, 11:16 PM
It's very hard to get past that red tape when it comes to mining. The O&G industry is allowed to do things that miners can't even think about without getting shut down.

Such as?

KILLER_CLOWN
07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
I've linked this before, check out The Energy Non-Crysis by Lindsey Williams.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Non-Crisis-Lindsey-Williams/dp/0890510687

Peak Oil is a myth.

prhom
07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Such as?

I used to work for a sand and gravel company and on one of the properties we had to hire someone to monitor and study a family of bald eagles each year to see if our operations (which were about 0.5 miles away from the nest) had any adverse effects on the birds before we could obtain permission to mine there. Well, next thing we know the landowner was approached by an O&G company that wanted to drill on his land. They decided to set up a well about 200' from this nest so we told them about the eagles so they could reconsider and move their site. They informed us that it wouldn't be a problem for them and they were going to keep the well site where it was. In addition to that, their permit was not subject to any county approvals, whereas ours was. Perhaps things have changed now that Bush, et al, aren't in office, but that was the way it was. I mostly work overseas now where environmental regs are looser than they should be. Fortunately for them we still operate based on western standards rather than what we can get away with.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
No, we didn't.LMAO Like clockwork