PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Kansas' Curse on the Country

HonestChieffan
07-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Amazing

(CNSNews.com) – Health and Human Services Secretary (HHS) Kathleen Sebelius told CNSNews.com on Monday that a provision in President Barack Obama’s health-care law that requires small businesses to begin buying health insurance for their workers when they hire their 50th employee–or otherwise pay a penalty to the federal government–”will actually be a great incentive” for businesses to grow.

CNSNews.com asked Sebelius, “Part of the health care law requires small businesses that grow to over 50 employees to provide health insurance to their employees or face a penalty [starting in 2014]. Do you think that may affect their incentive to grow–small businesses–to above 50 employees?”

“I hear, frankly, just the opposite from small business owners … where they say the way that they retain and recruit the best possible employees is with a benefit package that is solid; that often they lose good employees because they can’t provide affordable health coverage, they go down the street or around the corner, even though businesses like Frager’s are a family–absent that protection that people have for their employees,” Sebelius said at a press conference about the Affordable Care Act’s insurance exchanges at Frager’s Hardware on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.

“So,” Sebelius said, ”I think that this will actually be a great incentive–as you know the 50 people also have lots of part time worker exclusions, seasonal worker exclusions–and I don’t hear anything from people who say, ‘Oh, I would never grow my business past this threshold’ but are very enthusiastic about the notion that this is a competitive issue. It’s a bottom line issue and when they’re being essentially in the market place paying substantially more than their competitors for exactly the same coverage, they feel at a great disadvantage so I think, what I hear from folks is they see this as a huge step forward.”

Chocolate Hog
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
This dumbass along with the Liberal Republicans helped ruin the great state.

alnorth
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM
She did a very crappy job of trying to make her point.

Some employers want to provide health coverage because either they want to attract better talent, or its just the right thing to do in their mind, or whatever but they are at a disadvantage because their competitor across the street is an evil cheap bastard. If everyone above a certain level has to provide coverage or pay a penalty, the competitive disadvantage for the employer to provide insurance is less.

I'm not sure how this leads to growth in business, thats just a bit of a political spin job. However, at that level (50 people, some adjustments for part time and seasonal workers) most people expect the employer to provide insurance anyway, so its not really much of an issue either way. Hell, even McDonald's managers get some basic form of health insurance.

ROYC75
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Obama is the curse, she is just another of his loyal idiots.

Brock
07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
This dumbass along with the Liberal Republicans helped ruin the great state.

It doesn't seem any different to me.