PDA

View Full Version : Computers Anyone Else Using Avast?

listopencil
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I just d/l'ed the latest free version, I've been using it for a while. This version comes with "webrep". It's an addon that places an icon on your browser's bar that represents how many positive votes a site has gotten. Kinda like rep on the Planet.

Cave Johnson
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
For years. I guess it's better than AVG, but I'm hardly an expert.

vailpass
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I have it on 5 of my pcs at home; have since I heard about it here 2 years ago. The newer voide is a lot less startling than the older voice. "your virus databas has been updated!!!!" used to startle the shit out of me.

Disabled the web rep though. Works great. I run MS Defender too. Don't know if that's good or bad but I do it.

mnchiefsguy
07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I use Advast, it has worked well for me. I did give CP a great rating, so far CP has not gotten many ratings from avast users.

listopencil
07-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I saw that the Chiefs Planet rating was good with the qualifier that it was based on a small number of votes. I assumed that there weren't very many Planeteers using Avast, figured I would ask.

listopencil
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I have it on 5 of my pcs at home; have since I heard about it here 2 years ago. The newer voide is a lot less startling than the older voice. "your virus databas has been updated!!!!" used to startle the shit out of me.

Disabled the web rep though. Works great. I run MS Defender too. Don't know if that's good or bad but I do it.

LOL, that unnerved me as well. Why did you disable webrep? Not working well or was it just not worth it?

morphius
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I use it on all my PC's, but have never used their rating system.

I agree with vailpass, that update voice always seemed to catch me off guard and I would jump. Well, that was till I turned off the voice notifications.

Fish
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
LOL, that unnerved me as well. Why did you disable webrep? Not working well or was it just not worth it?

Webrep is kinda pointless and slows the browser down. It's data is input by Avast users, and not any actual watchdog agency, so its results aren't really checked for accuracy other than the user community itself. You should take caution relying on other users for determining the safety of a site.

And the first thing I do when installing Avast, is to disable the stupid sounds. Go to Settings, Sounds, and disable all. I installed Avast on my Grandmother's laptop last year, and forgot to disable the sounds.... she was convinced for 3 weeks that a burglar was visiting her house, as she kept hearing someone talk in the other room and couldn't figure it out...

vailpass
07-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Webrep is kinda pointless and slows the browser down. It's data is input by Avast users, and not any actual watchdog agency, so its results aren't really checked for accuracy other than the user community itself. You should take caution relying on other users for determining the safety of a site.

And the first thing I do when installing Avast, is to disable the stupid sounds. Go to Settings, Sounds, and disable all. I installed Avast on my Grandmother's laptop last year, and forgot to disable the sounds.... she was convinced for 3 weeks that a burglar was visiting her house, as she kept hearing someone talk in the other room and couldn't figure it out...

LMAO

vailpass
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM

I just didn't see any sense in the webrep and didn't like that it took up space on my bar.

cookster50
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I believe that webrep was an add-on from google, IIRC.

Guru
07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I only use Avast. I have loved it. Great program.

JD10367
07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
For years I've used Avast! Free for antivirus and Zone Alarm Free for firewall. Happy with both.

listopencil
07-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Ah, OK.

That is hilarious.

listopencil
07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
For years I've used Avast! Free for antivirus and Zone Alarm Free for firewall. Happy with both.

Dammit, that's what I keep forgetting to grab. Thanks for the reminder. I have a firewall in my modem/router but I was going to go grab Zone Alarm and take a look at it again.