PDA

View Full Version : Economics Computer game gives people shot at managing federal budget

Deberg_1990
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
We should have Chiefsplanet Competitons!!

http://news.yahoo.com/computer-game-gives-people-shot-managing-budget-070951562.html

http://www.budgethero.org

..WASHINGTON (AP) — Think you might do better than President Barack Obama and congressional leaders in picking and choosing what government spending to cut — or taxes to raise — to stave off a debt showdown that could wreck the economy? A new computer game gives you, too, the chance to play "Budget Hero."

"Budget Hero 2.0" is an update of an original version that came out in 2008. It shows players just how difficult it might be to carry out their grand policy objectives — universal health care, extending the Bush tax cuts or ending foreign aid — and still keep the government from either becoming irrelevant, or going broke.

"Our timing turns out to be perfect," said former Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., who resigned this year to head the Woodrow Wilson Center, a nonpartisan think tank that developed the game with American Public Media.

Harman said the game is a valuable teaching tool, particularly now as the president and Congress butt heads over the future course of government. Players get insights into the "difficult choices involved in reducing the deficit and raising the debt limit," she said.

Among the first players to test their skills at the unveiling this week of the new version were Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, and Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo.

Udall said he had two kids in college and "I've been a real nag about video games," but that "the point of this game is to educate, to empower us."

The new version, updated to reflect the increasingly dire financial situation and such new factors as the House Republican budget's approach to Medicare, allows players to pick from some 100 policy cards as they try to earn "badges" that reflect their political leanings. Fiscal conservatives can try to earn a tea party badge, defense hawks a national security badge or environmentalists a green badge.

The game starts in the year 2021, based on Congressional Budget Office numbers showing what happens to the government's budget if there is no change in current policy. Players, by using their policy cards, change the course of history.

Before clicking on a policy, the player can check out the pros and cons. Raising the Social Security eligibility age to 70 for those born in 1973 or after would save $152 billion over 10 years but would also mean a 10 percent loss in benefits for those now in their mid- to late 40s.

In a quick demonstration of the game, two college students, one taking typical Republican positions and the other Democratic, showed just how difficult it will be to save the country. The Republican extended the Bush-era tax cuts, cut spending for the arts and humanities and reduced congressional budgets. The Democrat went after a green badge by raising the federal tax on gasoline and ending tax breaks for big oil companies, while also expanding health insurance coverage.

Both plans saw the government go broke — reaching a point where there isn't enough money to cover mandatory programs such as Social Security, Medicare and interest on the debt — in the 2030s.

"This game will lead you to the conclusion that there has to be structural change" in the big entitlement and revenue programs, said John Tanner, a former Democratic lawmaker from Tennessee.

Linda Fantin of American Public Media said the game has been played 830,000 times since the original version came out in 2008. The sponsors said they hope to get the new version into schools and universities by the fall semester. The game is free and available at http://www.budgethero.org .

Chief Roundup
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I am for cutting foriegn aid and getting rid of Bushs' tax cuts for the rich.

Amnorix
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for posting this. No time now, but I look forward to fooling around with it.

Discuss Thrower
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Cut foreign aid, repealed Obamacare, simplified tax code, and only managed to cut the debt from 75 to 65.

We're so fucked.

RaiderH8r
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Dude, Medicare. Medi-care. Old people suck and need to die.

RaiderH8r
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Here's the problem. If we cut ALL discretinary spending ($1.3T which includes DOD, Dept. of Ag etc) we're still short of our outlays by $300B. People who have been getting, and been promised gov't cheese are going to have to give it up and Americans are a bunch of dependent pussies who can't do shit for themselves anymore so that is pretty unlikely to happen.

Jaric
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I cut everything.

Our military has now been reduced to throwing rocks at bad guys and all of our old people are dead.

God help you if you were on welfare.

Chief Roundup
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Dude, Medicare. Medi-care. Old people suck and need to die.

Just remember you said this when the time comes for you. When you can't get insurance anymore.
What about the veterans of this country? Guess they don't deserve insurance or anything for all that they have done and gone through.

Chief Roundup
07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
http://http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/greenberg/archives/2008/08/deficits.html

|Zach|
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I cut everything.

Our military has now been reduced to throwing rocks at bad guys and all of our old people are dead.

God help you if you were on welfare.

LMAO

go bowe
07-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Here's the problem. If we cut ALL discretinary spending ($1.3T which includes DOD, Dept. of Ag etc) we're still short of our outlays by $300B. People who have been getting, and been promised gov't cheese are going to have to give it up and Americans are a bunch of dependent pussies who can't do shit for themselves anymore so that is pretty unlikely to happen.

fwiw, government cheese is a product of subsidies to the dairy industry...

dept of agriculture buys up huge amounts of cheese and butter and nonfat dry milk and then pays through the nose to store them...

giving away the butter and cheese makes economic sense (as long as we maintain the subsidies) and the nonfat dry milk is a staple in humanitarian aid overseas...

BigChiefFan
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Reduced debt from 75.5% GDP ($16.5 trillon) in 2012 to 34.6% GDP ($7.5 trillon) in 2021

Also reduced government's percentage of the GDP 25.9% ($5.6 trillon) to 20.2 % ($4.4 trillon) of GDP in 2021

Did it without charging wealthier senior citizens more money for their portion of medicare.

Also didn't charge for carbon dioxide emission.

If our government was serious they could slowly start reel this debt in.

RINGLEADER
07-15-2011, 01:37 AM
I did a pretty good job of reducing debt, but there aren't nearly enough options when it comes to Social Security.

RaiderH8r
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Just remember you said this when the time comes for you. When you can't get insurance anymore.
What about the veterans of this country? Guess they don't deserve insurance or anything for all that they have done and gone through.

I don't plan on seeing a red nickel of any of that.

I left the VA paid for without cuts or spending increases. Subsidies are gone. Tax code simplified, EPA gone, taxes lowered etc.

I got us solvent through 2037 showing significant budget surpluses after 2017. What's a bummer and isn't accounted for is increased revenue for leases, bonus bids, royalties and taxes for new oil and gas production on federal lands onshore as well as opening the Eastern GOM and Atlantic shorelines in conjunction with ANWR etc. That is a whole pot of annual revenues going into treasury that would additionall help. Lowered overall tax rates and a holiday to repatriate $ (tax it at 5% instead of 35%) would also generate influx of capital. Further facilitating natural gas production would create good paying jobs and streamlining offshore build outs of LNG import/export terminals would help the US lead the way in making an abundant energy resource a global commodity putting us in the catbird's seat to ship to places like England and other global markets currently held captive by Russian NG.

US coal production too can thrive under my plan and we would further explore the Arctic region for the natural gas/crude oil reserves believed to be up there (which the Russians are beating us to at the moment).

All in all my plan would not only get the budget right for now with cuts but would vastly improve America's productivity and global competitiveness to the point that I think I would actually be able to restore a solid portion of funding to most of the programs I cut in pretty short order.

This shit ain't tough ladies. Stop spending money in areas where dollars go to die and start facilitating economic sectors to succeed by ending punitive tax policy and castrating the Lords and Ladies at EPA who currently run their operation through vindictive little fiefdoms called "Regions" and region administrators single handedly hold the power to imperil cities, counties, states and regions through their imperial caveats.

Farm subsidies are done. Foreign aid is cut. Military spending selectively cut. Military pay stays for those in. VA medical and housing are untouched because a promise is a promise. Gov't cheese goes the way of the dinosaur. Fat kids don't need free lunch and I expect people to work.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't plan on seeing a red nickel of any of that.

I left the VA paid for without cuts or spending increases. Subsidies are gone. Tax code simplified, EPA gone, taxes lowered etc.

I got us solvent through 2037 showing significant budget surpluses after 2017. What's a bummer and isn't accounted for is increased revenue for leases, bonus bids, royalties and taxes for new oil and gas production on federal lands onshore as well as opening the Eastern GOM and Atlantic shorelines in conjunction with ANWR etc. That is a whole pot of annual revenues going into treasury that would additionall help. Lowered overall tax rates and a holiday to repatriate $ (tax it at 5% instead of 35%) would also generate influx of capital. Further facilitating natural gas production would create good paying jobs and streamlining offshore build outs of LNG import/export terminals would help the US lead the way in making an abundant energy resource a global commodity putting us in the catbird's seat to ship to places like England and other global markets currently held captive by Russian NG.

US coal production too can thrive under my plan and we would further explore the Arctic region for the natural gas/crude oil reserves believed to be up there (which the Russians are beating us to at the moment).

All in all my plan would not only get the budget right for now with cuts but would vastly improve America's productivity and global competitiveness to the point that I think I would actually be able to restore a solid portion of funding to most of the programs I cut in pretty short order.

This shit ain't tough ladies. Stop spending money in areas where dollars go to die and start facilitating economic sectors to succeed by ending punitive tax policy and castrating the Lords and Ladies at EPA who currently run their operation through vindictive little fiefdoms called "Regions" and region administrators single handedly hold the power to imperil cities, counties, states and regions through their imperial caveats.

Farm subsidies are done. Foreign aid is cut. Military spending selectively cut. Military pay stays for those in. VA medical and housing are untouched because a promise is a promise. Gov't cheese goes the way of the dinosaur. Fat kids don't need free lunch and I expect people to work.

Can you run for POTUS please?

RaiderH8r
07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Can you run for POTUS please?

I did drugs for awhile so yes, yes I can. :D