PDA

View Full Version : Economics Cutting the spending and paying our bills is a racist effort

HonestChieffan
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
He beat Jesse to the punch.

(The Hill) — Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) said Thursday morning that government spending cuts will end up hurting African Americans disproportionately.

In comments on the House floor, Rangel warned blacks would be disproportionately hurt because many African Americans have sought work in the public sector for reasons related to job security.

“And so many African-Americans, for reasons that I do not have to go into, have sought public service as a way of life because of the security that’s involved in it,” Rangel said on the House floor. “And so, when we talk about cutting the budget and cutting the services that are provided, we’re talking about a larger number of minorities that would be losing their jobs as a result of budget cutting.”

Detoxing
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Reason #482 I wish I were black.

Blaming budget cuts for my inability to get/maintain a job.

I should have my own show on Spike.

Donger
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
“And so many African-Americans, for reasons that I do not have to go into, have sought public service as a way of life because of the security that’s involved in it,”

Wow.

Amnorix
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Wow what?

While it may be true, it's also irrelevant. At some point do people not realize that we are sliding, as a nation, into inevitable bankruptcy? Do these purportedly bright people not read the f'n papers and see what is happening in Greece, and what is threatening to happen in Spain and Italy, and realize that we are trending in that direction?

Do they not understand that entitlement programs as currently constituted are unsustainable not because of lack of will, or lack of compassion, but because changing demographics will inevitably result in those programs consuming every dollar of spending and more?

:shake:

Donger
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow what?

While it may be true, it's also irrelevant. At some point do people not realize that we are sliding, as a nation, into inevitable bankruptcy? Do these purportedly bright people not read the f'n papers and see what is happening in Greece, and what is threatening to happen in Spain and Italy, and realize that we are trending in that direction?

Do they not understand that entitlement programs as currently constituted are unsustainable not because of lack of will, or lack of compassion, but because changing demographics will inevitably result in those programs consuming every dollar of spending and more?

Wow that what he said is tacit admission that some are just using public assistance because it's easy and free.

Jaric
07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Charles Rangel can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

2bikemike
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
You know when a rich successful black man complains about racism I just have to call BS.

CoMoChief
07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
He beat Jesse to the punch.

(The Hill) — Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) said Thursday morning that government spending cuts will end up hurting African Americans disproportionately.

In comments on the House floor, Rangel warned blacks would be disproportionately hurt because many African Americans have sought work in the public sector for reasons related to job security.

“And so many African-Americans, for reasons that I do not have to go into, have sought public service as a way of life because of the security that’s involved in it,” Rangel said on the House floor. “And so, when we talk about cutting the budget and cutting the services that are provided, we’re talking about a larger number of minorities that would be losing their jobs as a result of budget cutting.”

I could go into those reasons very easily. It's really quite simple to be honest. Of course, I will get banned (again) if I were to elaborate.

WV
07-14-2011, 10:19 PM
His dumbass shouldn't even still be in office.

KILLER_CLOWN
07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Wow what?

I've been saying this for years and was summarily called a conspiracy theorist, welcome aboard mate. Do yourself a favor and help elect Ron Paul.

ClevelandBronco
07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I've been saying this for years and was summarily called a conspiracy theorist, welcome aboard mate. Do yourself a favor and help elect Ron Paul.

Four minutes after you posted this, you posted an conspiracy theory article in the "9/11 Was an Inside Job" thread. I'm just sayin'.

mikey23545
07-15-2011, 03:20 AM
“And so many African-Americans, for reasons that I do not have to go into, have sought public service as a way of life because of the security that’s involved in it,” Rangel said on the House floor.

Wow.

Wow what?

Wow that what he said is tacit admission that some are just using public assistance because it's easy and free.

Hell, I thought he was talking about becoming a congressman.

RubberSponge
07-15-2011, 04:59 AM

Umm, public service and public assistance aren't the same.

Public service is serving in the military, being a cop, firefighter, working for state/local/federal government, etc. Even being a city bus driver is working in public services.

If you would have even read the little bit in the OP, oh like this...

Rangel warned blacks would be disproportionately hurt because many African Americans have sought work in the public sector for reasons related to job security

You might not have been so hasty in your response to misrepresent what was actually said.

FishingRod
07-15-2011, 07:48 AM
So if there were more white guys working these jobs then it would be ok to cut spending? Once upon a time a great many people went to work for American Motors for reasons of high paying safe union jobs. How did that work out?

Amnorix
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Umm....that has nothing to do with conspiracy theory, which is your bushel of whacko ideas as posted ad infinitum elsewhere in this forum.

Let me be blunt, Ron Paul's economic ideas are pure stupidity.

Donger
07-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Umm, public service and public assistance aren't the same.

Public service is serving in the military, being a cop, firefighter, working for state/local/federal government, etc. Even being a city bus driver is working in public services.

If you would have even read the little bit in the OP, oh like this...

You might not have been so hasty in your response to misrepresent what was actually said.

Actually, yes, I apparently did mis-read the OP.

Garcia Bronco
07-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Either way our laws cannot disproportional effect any "race".

listopencil
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Sure they could.

Chief Henry
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Wow what?

Well said...rep heading your way.

Garcia Bronco
07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Sure they could.

It's in the CR ACT of 64 I believe. That's why he used the word disproportionate .

vailpass
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Wow what?

+1

Baby Lee
07-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Sure they could.

Absolutely they can, but the shame is the question often ends there. For example, the cocaine/crack sentencing disparity. While there was plenty of outrage that more blacks smoked crack and crack got stiffer sentences, there was precious little examination of whether crack was or wasn't a more deleterious drug for society and/or the user, or whether such a difference might justify some sort of sentencing disparity.

Iowanian
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Someone should probably tell him that the Honkeys lost their jobs and had to tighten belts 2-3 years ago and that like everything else in government, these employs are lucky to be 3yrs behind everyone else in feeling the hit.

sorry Charlie.

Radar Chief
07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
You know when a rich successful black man complains about racism I just have to call BS.

Its how he’s made a living, I expect nothing more from him.

eazyb81
07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
So if there were more white guys working these jobs then it would be ok to cut spending? Once upon a time a great many people went to work for American Motors for reasons of high paying safe union jobs. How did that work out?

That is EXACTLY what he is saying. A black person's job is more important than a white person's in his eyes.

ChiTown
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Uh, it's Charlie Rangel. Why on Earth would anybody lend credence to this Felon?

vailpass
07-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Never trust cries of racism from a black man trying to make his hair look like a white man's.

Chief Roundup
07-15-2011, 02:13 PM
That is EXACTLY what he is saying. A black person's job is more important than a white person's in his eyes.

I thought he was saying they try and get those jobs because you almost can't lose one of those jobs no matter your job performance. Very similar to a union job.

listopencil
07-15-2011, 02:17 PM
It's in the CR ACT of 64 I believe. That's why he used the word disproportionate .

I mean that if a certain "race" was committing a particular crime more often (or more severely) than other "races" than it would naturally affect them in a disproportionate manner.

bevischief
07-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Never trust cries of racism from a black man trying to make his hair look like a white man's.

ROFL

listopencil
07-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I was surprised by this, it's from 2009:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/us/15drugs.html?_r=3&ref=us

The number of African-American drug offenders in state prisons has declined for the first time since law enforcement agencies started the war on drugs 25 years ago, even as convictions of white drug offenders have increased, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The study, by the Sentencing Project, a nonprofit policy research group in Washington, found that the number of blacks in state prisons for drug crimes dropped 21.6 percent from 1999 to 2005, the last year for which data are available. The number of white drug offenders in state prisons grew by 42.6 percent in the same period.

The total number of drug offenders in state prisons increased to 253,300 in 2005 from 251,200 in 1999, according to the report (http://sentencingproject.org/Admin/Documents/publications/dp_raceanddrugs.pdf).

“I’m encouraged that there are fewer African-Americans in prison for drug offenses,” said Marc Mauer, the executive director of the Sentencing Project and the report’s author. “But the overall number of blacks in prison is still high, and we’ve replaced some of those black drug offenders with white drug offenders. The racial disparity has lessened, but the overall effect of the drug war has not.”

listopencil
07-15-2011, 08:10 PM
From the report linked in the above article:

This stability in the number of drug offense incarcerations is intriguing, but hides an even more dramatic change – a significant shift in the racial composition of people incarcerated for a drug offense. Our analysis below documents these striking trends:

• The number of African Americans in state prisons for a drug offense declined by 21.6% from 1999-2005, a reduction of more than 31,000 persons.
• The number of whites incarcerated for a drug offense rose significantly during this period, an increase of 42.6%, representing an additional 21,000 persons in prison.

listopencil
07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
(2000, 2008 & 2009 - federal prisoners by most serious offense)
<table id="facts" align="center"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="7">Number of sentenced prisoners in federal prison by most serious offense</th> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Offense</td> <td align="center">2000</td> <td align="center">2008</td> <td align="center">2009</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td>Share 2009</td> <td align="center">% Chg 2000-2009</td> </tr> <tr> <td>TOTAL</td> <td align="right">131,739</td> <td align="right">182,333</td> <td align="right">187,886</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">100.0%</td> <td align="right">+42.6%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Violent</td> <td align="right">13,740</td> <td align="right">15,483</td> <td align="right">14,773</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">7.9%</td> <td align="right">+7.5%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Property</td> <td align="right">10,135</td> <td align="right">11,080</td> <td align="right">10,913</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">5.8%</td> <td align="right">+7.7%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Drug</td> <td align="right">74,276</td> <td align="right">95,079</td> <td align="right">95,205</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">50.7%</td> <td align="right">+28.2%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Public-order</td> <td align="right">32,325</td> <td align="right">59,298</td> <td align="right">65,678</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">35.0%</td> <td align="right">+103.2%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Other/unspecified</td> <td align="right">1,263</td> <td align="right">1,394</td> <td align="right">1,317</td> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="right">0.7%</td> <td align="right">+4.3%</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

- Violent = homicide, robbery, murder, and manslaughter (negligent and non-negligent).
- Property = burglary, fraud, etc.
- Public Order = immigration, weapons, etc.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/node/63

ClevelandBronco
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
From the report linked in the above article:

This stability in the number of drug offense incarcerations is intriguing, but hides an even more dramatic change – a significant shift in the racial composition of people incarcerated for a drug offense. Our analysis below documents these striking trends:

• The number of African Americans in state prisons for a drug offense declined by 21.6% from 1999-2005, a reduction of more than 31,000 persons.
• The number of whites incarcerated for a drug offense rose significantly during this period, an increase of 42.6%, representing an additional 21,000 persons in prison.

How are they counting Hispanics?

EDIT: Forget it. Found it.

"The incarceration rate for Latino drug offenders in state prisons was substantially unchanged, 20.2 percent in 2005, down from 20.7 percent in 1999."

HonestChieffan
07-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Insane nutbag this.....

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/rep-sheila-jackson-lee-550x402.jpg

(The Hill) — Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on Friday strongly suggested that members of Congress are making it difficult for President Obama to raise the debt ceiling because of his race.

“I do not understand what I think is the maligning and maliciousness [toward] this president,” said Jackson Lee, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus. “Why is he different? And in my community, that is the question that we raise. In the minority community that is question that is being raised. Why is this president being treated so disrespectfully? Why has the debt limit been raised 60 times? Why did the leader of the Senate continually talk about his job is to bring the president down to make sure he is unelected?”

Earlier in her speech, Jackson Lee said Obama has been targeted unlike any other president.

“I am particularly sensitive to the fact that only this president — only this one, only this one — has received the kind of attacks and disagreement and inability to work, only this one,” said Jackson Lee from the House floor.

“Read between the lines,” she continued. “What is different about this president that should put him in a position that he should not receive the same kind of respectful treatment of when it is necessary to raise the debt limit in order to pay our bills, something required by both statute and the 14th amendment?”

Jackson Lee concluded by saying that she hoped someone would step up and say that what appears obvious to her is not in fact true.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/171807-sheila-jackson-lee-suggests-congress-complicating-debt-ceiling-because-obama-is-black

listopencil
07-15-2011, 08:50 PM
“What is different about this president that should put him in a position that he should not receive the same kind of respectful treatment of when it is necessary to raise the debt limit in order to pay our bills, something required by both statute and the 14th amendment?”

Because he's a dick?

HonestChieffan
07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I knew Jesse would get in on this..http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jesse-jackson-to-rachel-maddow-anti-obama-mania-sweeping-the-country-and-we-ought-fight-back/

"“Here we are at this time trying to strip the number of days [allowed for voting], make voting more expensive and less accessible. This is the part of the anti-Barack Obama-mania that’s sweeping the country. These are the same people, you know who, under Bush, raised the debt limit 19 times, 4 trillion dollars . . . this is not about raising the debt limit, this is about in fact another way to undermine this President. We as a people, as a nation, ought fight back.”

Jesse....dude, the people are fighting back.

RedNeckRaider
07-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I knew Jesse would get in on this..http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jesse-jackson-to-rachel-maddow-anti-obama-mania-sweeping-the-country-and-we-ought-fight-back/

"“Here we are at this time trying to strip the number of days [allowed for voting], make voting more expensive and less accessible. This is the part of the anti-Barack Obama-mania that’s sweeping the country. These are the same people, you know who, under Bush, raised the debt limit 19 times, 4 trillion dollars . . . this is not about raising the debt limit, this is about in fact another way to undermine this President. We as a people, as a nation, ought fight back.”

Jesse....dude, the people are fighting back.

He is a total shitbag and a hero to the left...go figure~