PDA

View Full Version : Obama Ohhhh another deadline and ultimatum....

HonestChieffan
07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
All good negotiators know the deadline gambit. Best response is to say nothing. Don't flinch.

(Politico) — President Barack Obama told congressional leaders that a deal must be in place on Friday, or lawmakers will have to make contingency plans to raise the national debt ceiling, a top Democratic negotiator said Thursday.

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) relayed Obama’s message to reporters Thursday, saying they will have to act fast on a Plan B if a deal doesn’t appear in place by tomorrow. Treasury has said the country will run out of money to pay all of its bills on Aug. 2.

“The president has expressed to the group that by Friday we have to get something done,” Durbin said Thursday. “And it’s realistic because if we’re going to extend the debt ceiling, it takes some time to not only write the bill but to have it scored and move forward.”

Asked if that meant that Congress must move to another option if a deal isn’t reached on Friday, Durbin said: “We will have no choice at that point but to turn to some other option.”

The White House confirmed Durbin’s comments.

notorious
07-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Translation:

"We can't find a way around the Congressional process like we have before."

Shut this ****er down. We might as well start the rebuilding process sooner then later.

Amnorix
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Shut what down? Rebuild what?

notorious
07-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Shut what down? Rebuild what?

It has to come to an end sometime. That's what I've been hearing, anyway.

This whole process just seems idiotic to me. The world will not end if we default, in fact it might actually bring on positive change.

HonestChieffan
07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.akdart.com/gov1.html

No place to cut?

WV
07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA...........Politicians giving deadlines and ultimatums.

Next...be on the look out for Bigfoot.

tmax63
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Obama is saying anything he can think of to try and scare the public into forcing the Repub's to cave. Only problem is most of the Repub's have been voted in on promising to cut spending and alot of folks think he's Chicken Little and the sky really isn't falling, me being one of them.

Jaric
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
How bad is it going to suck when the doom and gloom crowd turns out to be right and defaulting triggers Armageddon?

I mean, this is being made out to appear as if we're in store for consequences of biblical proportions.

healthpellets
07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
How bad is it going to suck when the doom and gloom crowd turns out to be right and defaulting triggers Armageddon?

I mean, this is being made out to appear as if we're in store for consequences of biblical proportions.

Assuming we're talking about anything post flood, it seems that people eventually survived and moved on every disaster best i can recall in the Bible.

Jaric
07-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Assuming we're talking about anything post flood, it seems that people eventually survived and moved on every disaster best i can recall in the Bible.

The boils and gadflys are going suck.

HonestChieffan
07-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Well. Looks like its in Obamas court:

(NRO) — White House debt talks ended without a deal Thursday, as negotiators resolved not to meet again on Friday. Instead, President Obama will hold a press conference at 11 a.m., presumably to “take it to the American people” as he warned House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) he would do if Cantor “called his bluff.”

CoMoChief
07-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Well. Looks like its in Obamas court:

(NRO) — White House debt talks ended without a deal Thursday, as negotiators resolved not to meet again on Friday. Instead, President Obama will hold a press conference at 11 a.m., presumably to “take it to the American people” as he warned House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) he would do if Cantor “called his bluff.”

What a bunch of bogus rhetoric. The American people could tell Obama not to raise it, and he would turn around and do the exact opposite and tell the whole country that's what we wanted all along. Much like he did w/ Healthcare.

WV
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
He can take it to the American people if he wants, but anyone with any sense has stopped listening to his BS.

HonestChieffan
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
He wont have to. McConnell sold out the entire thing. POS.

go bowe
07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
wouldn't his plan require passage in the house?

are the spending warriors in the rep majority going to vote for this?

i think not...

Jaric
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
wouldn't his plan require passage in the house?

are the spending warriors in the rep majority going to vote for this?

i think not...

Think again.

They want to give the appearance of caring without having to actually change anything. Some bullshit will get passed that doesn't actually address the problem but makes their constituents feel warm and fuzzy.

Because despite what opinion polls might suggest, American's don't want to pay more taxes and they don't want their services/programs cut. The is the end result of a culture defined by the need for instant gratification.

Saul Good
07-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I want Obama to declare that he doesn't need Congressional approval. That would be his absolute undoing. He trails a generic Republican by 8 points as it is. This could bury him.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148487/Republican-Candidate-Extends-Lead-Obama.aspx

ROYC75
07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
The government is funded until Sept 30th.... why the Aug 2nd date, I dunno.

trndobrd
07-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Does this 'other option' mean someone will have to pass and sign a budget?

Cave Johnson
07-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I want Obama to declare that he doesn't need Congressional approval. That would be his absolute undoing. He trails a generic Republican by 8 points as it is. This could bury him.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148487/Republican-Candidate-Extends-Lead-Obama.aspx

Before you go breaking out the lube just yet....

[T]he results more than a year ahead of the election do not have a large degree of predictive ability, and underscore that things can change greatly in the final year or more before an election.

go bowe
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Before you go breaking out the lube just yet....

what's this?

things change?

well, i'm certainly glad to know that...