PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Going To The Ames Straw Poll Anyone Ever Been?

Chocolate Hog
07-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm looking forward to this it actually sounds pretty fun. Has anyone ever been?

Dave Lane
07-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Vote for Ron Paul or Michele Bachmann or Palin :)

Chocolate Hog
07-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't get to vote just help out. Figured it'd be a cool experience though.

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Vote for Ron Paul or Michele Bachmann or Palin :)

Vote Paul, Bachman, or Cain. That way, you can help to make HISTORY.

I mean, Obama SHOULD lose in 2012. Except the Reps are so messed-up....they are gonna piss it down their legs. Just sayin'. Heh.

I don't get to vote just help out. Figured it'd be a cool experience though.

Cool. Yeah...until you realize that 90% plus of Pols, from either side of the aisle, are the same. Seriously.

Chocolate Hog
07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Vote Paul, Bachman, or Cain. That way, you can help to make HISTORY.

I mean, Obama SHOULD lose in 2012. Except the Reps are so messed-up....they are gonna piss it down their legs. Just sayin'. Heh.

Cool. Yeah...until you realize that 90% plus of Pols, from either side of the aisle, are the same. Seriously.

You say that then bash Dr.Paul.

Mr. Kotter
07-16-2011, 09:56 PM
You say that then bash Dr.Paul.

Paul is cool...just a zealot and an ideolgogue. They have their place.

President just ain't one of them. Just sayin'. :shrug:

SNR
07-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Paul is cool...just a zealot and an ideolgogue. They have their place.

President just ain't one of them. Just sayin'. :shrug:Heh.

SNR
07-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Heh. Just sayin'. Heh.

Saul Good
07-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Prediction:

Ron Paul wins the straw poll despite drawing 3 and 5 percent in the two most recent polls taken in the state of Iowa. RP backers point to it as a sign of a conspiracy against Paul.

BucEyedPea
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey Kotter, Obama is an ideologue too. You're just in denial about it.

Bewbies
07-17-2011, 07:02 PM
I went to the straw poll in 1999 I think. HUGE circle jerk. HUGE.

If Paul doesn't spend the most he won't win. It's literally the stupidest popularity contest outside of your local high school that's ever existed.

Bewbies
07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
It's such a huge deal in Iowa because there literally isn't shit else to do.

Chocolate Hog
07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I went to the straw poll in 1999 I think. HUGE circle jerk. HUGE.

If Paul doesn't spend the most he won't win. It's literally the stupidest popularity contest outside of your local high school that's ever existed.

Bush won that year correct?

Paul has spent alot of money on it which seems to be the smart thing to do IMO his campaign is set around Iowa.

Bewbies
07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Bush won that year correct?

Paul has spent alot of money on it which seems to be the smart thing to do IMO his campaign is set around Iowa.

Yes, Bush won. He spent several million dollars to do it.

Saul Good
07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
The Ames Straw Poll is a fantastic barometer. For example, here are the results of the last one.

Place Candidate Votes Percentage
1 Mitt Romney 4,516 31.6%
2 Mike Huckabee 2,587 18.1%
3 Sam Brownback 2,192 15.3%
4 Tom Tancredo 1,961 13.7%
5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
6 Tommy Thompson 1,039 7.3%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%

SNR
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The Ames Straw Poll is a fantastic barometer. For example, here are the results of the last one.

5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%
At least they got John Cox right

BucEyedPea
07-17-2011, 08:56 PM

5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%

They got it wrong. Romney didn't win the nomination and McCain at .7% did. LMAO

Chocolate Hog
07-17-2011, 09:21 PM
John McCain didn't win the Iowa Caucus so by Sauls logic means Iowa doesn't matter. That guy couldn't even run a grocery store so I don't expect him to understand politics. Everyone whos won the Ames Straw poll has left Iowa with a golden ticket thats what the campaign is trying to accomplish.

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
John McCain didn't win the Iowa Caucus so by Sauls logic means Iowa doesn't matter. That guy couldn't even run a grocery store so I don't expect him to understand politics. Everyone whos won the Ames Straw poll has left Iowa with a golden ticket thats what the campaign is trying to accomplish.

What the fuck are you talking about. Iowa matters. Straw polls don't.

You are right about my not being able to run a grocery store, though. That's a pretty complicated undertaking for which I am completely unqualified.

My FIL owns and runs a grocery store, and its a lot of work. I find it amusing that a guy who plays the Cupid Shuffle at middle school mixers for a living would act like running a grocery store is a menial position. Not as amusing as your picture that I just saw posted recently, but comical nonetheless.

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
My FIL owns and runs a grocery store, and its a lot of work. .

Federation of International Lacrosse?

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Federation of International Lacrosse?

How did you know that my Father in Law was a lacrosse player?

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
How did you know that my Father in Law was a lacrosse player?

:LOL: I didn't. Good thing it wasn't Luge.

mnchiefsguy
07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
What the fuck are you talking about. Iowa matters. Straw polls don't.

You are right about my not being able to run a grocery store, though. That's a pretty complicated undertaking for which I am completely unqualified.

My FIL owns and runs a grocery store, and its a lot of work. I find it amusing that a guy who plays the Cupid Shuffle at middle school mixers for a living would act like running a grocery store is a menial position. Not as amusing as your picture that I just saw posted recently, but comical nonetheless.

Running a grocery store would be a lot of work, just from the inventory side alone, given the perishable nature of produce, meat, and milk. Get stuck with too much of any of those and they go bad, and you are out of business in a hurry.

Chocolate Hog
07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Saul I don't give a **** about your FIL if he's as dumb as you the business is ****ed. Show me the last time a candidate won the Iowa Straw poll and didn't leave Iowa with a golden ticket. You just sit on here all day and repeat the same talking points from Mark Levin you're unemployed for fucks sake read a book and actually learn something.

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Show me the last time a candidate won the Iowa Straw poll and didn't leave Iowa with a golden ticket.

I'd have to go all the way back to the last one when Romney won the Iowa Straw Poll and didn't come close to winning either the Iowa Caucus nor the Republican nomination.

Give me an easier assignment next time, please.

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
There have been 5 Ames Straw Polls in the past.

George HW Bush in 1979: Lost to Reagan in the primaries.
Pat Robertson in 1987: Lost to GHWB in the primaries (and Bob Dole in IA).
Phil Gramm tied Dole in 1995: Dole won the nomination and lost to Clinton.
GWB in 1999: The only one to win the poll and become POTUS.
Romney in 2008: Lost to McCain in the primaries (and Huckabee in IA).

There is next to zero correlation between this straw poll and electoral success.

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Saul I don't give a **** about your FIL if he's as dumb as you the business is ****ed. Show me the last time a candidate won the Iowa Straw poll and didn't leave Iowa with a golden ticket. You just sit on here all day and repeat the same talking points from Mark Levin you're unemployed for ****s sake read a book and actually learn something.

He's unemployed? I thought he had his own business.

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 05:05 PM
He's unemployed? I thought he had his own business.

The next time billay is correct about anything will be the first.

I own a small business with one employee (not me) that doesn't make a ton but is a nice revenue stream. It's a great vehicle for write-offs, though. I still work for the man as my "career". I recently changed jobs, but it was the result of a headhunter finding me and making me a better offer: http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240876

I've only been unemployed once since college for a short period of time several years ago. Fortunately, I had plenty of savings and didn't have a family to support at the time. It still sucked, though.

You've run your own business before, right? I'm thinking about starting up another venture in the near future, as I'm always looking for additional revenue streams. I'll probably go to CP for advice/opinions if I decide to proceed with it. After all, there are a lot of pretty successful and talented people on here; entrepreneurs, lawyers, and even disc jockeys.

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 05:21 PM
The next time billay is correct about anything will be the first.

I own a small business with one employee (not me) that doesn't make a ton but is a nice revenue stream. It's a great vehicle for write-offs, though. I still work for the man as my "career". I recently changed jobs, but it was the result of a headhunter finding me and making me a better offer: http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240876

I've only been unemployed once since college for a short period of time several years ago. Fortunately, I had plenty of savings and didn't have a family to support at the time. It still sucked, though.

Okay

You've run your own business before, right?

Yes, t'was a while ago. I actually worked more the first 7 years of my daughter's life and had 4 years put in before that. I started freelance then it was just a small studio of three til I moved here. I had big corporate accounts. So the pay was good...'cept for here. But I just got tired of it, was more of an artist that was becoming more and more management and I wanted to slow down and see my kid grow up. So I downsized back to freelance which is how I started...'cept it's harder to charge the bigger bucks.

I'm thinking about starting up another venture in the near future, as I'm always looking for additional revenue streams. I'll probably go to CP for advice/opinions if I decide to proceed with it. After all, there are a lot of pretty successful and talented people on here; entrepreneurs, lawyers, and even disc jockeys.

Cool! I want to start something again now that my kid has graduated. I've got nothing to do but did have a part-time job I found in the early phase of this depression but they wanted me full-time and I didn't want it plus they cut the pay.

Not sure I want it to be in design though, perhaps related but something where others do the labor and I make the money! Then again, my interest in fine art has been rehabilitated after teaching my daughter art the past year or so.

Chocolate Hog
07-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Laugh at me being a dj all you want but this past year I made 50k before taxes. I realize thats not rich by any means but it's enough to support a person and not too many people are pulling that kind of money while going to college. Also things went well enough on the weddings side i'm actually going to be able to hire someone else and make a % off that by doing nothing but booking the event.

I guess we all have something in common and thats Obama is trying to hurt our business. Saul understand this.... We'd both profit even more off of a Paul being president from a tax prospective.

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Laugh at me being a dj all you want but this past year I made 50k before taxes. I realize thats not rich by any means but it's enough to support a person and not too many people are pulling that kind of money while going to college. Also things went well enough on the weddings side i'm actually going to be able to hire someone else and make a % off that by doing nothing but booking the event.

I guess we all have something in common and thats Obama is trying to hurt our business. Saul understand this.... We'd both profit even more off of a Paul being president from a tax prospective.

There's a kid next door to me who just graduated after getting her Masters. She actually saved $30,000 while being in college working and has no student debt. Granted she was able to live at her grandmother's house who lived near the college and had a great part-time job.

Saul Good
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Not sure I want it to be in design though, perhaps related but something where others do the labor and I make the money!

Having other people work for you is where it's at. You don't really own your own business if you are the one doing the bulk of the work. That's just owning your own job. It's more rewarding than working for someone else, but it's still a job.

My business is almost completely passive which is great. I pay out 90% of my revenues in salary, but it's all positive cash flow. The only thing I have to do is keep my licenses current.

It's not nearly enough to live off of, but it's something. If I were to lose my job, and my wife were to lose her job, it would provide some cushion. I look forward to that check each month than I look forward to my paycheck. There's something inherently satisfying about drawing an income from your own business. I'd like to expand it and bring on a couple of new employees, but it would have to really be the right situation.

My new venture would be completely scalable, but it would cost me a pretty good chunk of change to start. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000 to $70,000. I don't borrow money, so I'm going to have to grit my teeth while I scratch that check. It would be passive income, though which really helps.

BucEyedPea
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Having other people work for you is where it's at. You don't really own your own business if you are the one doing the bulk of the work. That's just owning your own job. It's more rewarding than working for someone else, but it's still a job.
This is true. It's being classified as labor.

My new venture would be completely scalable, but it would cost me a pretty good chunk of change to start. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000 to $70,000. I don't borrow money, so I'm going to have to grit my teeth while I scratch that check. It would be passive income, though which really helps.

Hmmm!

Jenson71
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, I've been to it -- the last one. I remember well the huge set-up for Romney, and the parading Huckabee supporters chanting throughout the grounds.

Who had the best group? Ron Paul had sweet corn on a stick. It's a good time.

Chocolate Hog
07-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes, I've been to it -- the last one. I remember well the huge set-up for Romney, and the parading Huckabee supporters chanting throughout the grounds.

Who had the best group? Ron Paul had sweet corn on a stick. It's a good time.

Paul bought Romneys spot this time :) What was the big deal with this spot?