PDA

View Full Version : Obama We are broke. Obama committs $330Mill to pay grocery stores to open stores

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Pissing money away hand over fist when we have no money.

Do we really need to give WalMart money to open a quickie mart in the hood so kids dont eat junk food? And do we really think they will not sell snickers if the little buggers want snickers?

Madness.

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/20/first-lady-takes-on-‘food-deserts’/

(CNN) — Michelle Obama unveiled the latest push in her healthy-eating campaign Wednesday, announcing several national and regional food retailers have pledged to expand into a string of low-income markets where finding nutritious food options is nearly impossible.

“If a parent wants to pack a piece of fruit in a child’s lunch, if a parent wants to add some lettuce to a salad at dinner, they shouldn’t have to take three city busses…to go to another community to make that possible,” the first lady said at during a White House event marking the new effort.

National chains participating in the partnership include Wal-Mart, Walgreens and SuperValu, which have agreed to open or expand more than 1,000 locations as part of the effort to eliminate what the Department of Agriculture calls “food deserts” throughout the country.

A handful of regional retailers are also involved, including Calhoun foods, an Alabama-based chain that currently serves low-income communities with six stores. The minority-owned company, which in the depths of the recession two years ago was forced to cut back workers’ hours to avoid layoffs, said they plan to open 10 additional stores in the coming years in currently under-served communities. CEO Greg Calhoun as well as Jimmie Coleman, a manger at the chain, were on hand for the event.

The Obama administration is committing $35 million to the effort this year and is proposing $330 million from the budget next year.

Donger
07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Let me get this straight: they don't sell lettuce (just an example) at these stores in low-income communities? It's all junk?

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Seems to me they like junk in the Hood. Wonder if these places will go out of business? It's very possible. Junks sells.

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Madness. They will likely dump it in Ag so people can bitch even more about farm programs

vailpass
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Great. The ghetto first lady is focusing on spending money on the hood.
The Kennedy Camelot this is not.
Way to go Blackie O.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:08 PM
If it was profitable to have those sorts of stores in those locations, they would already be there by now.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
If it was profitable to have those sorts of stores in those locations, they would already be there by now.

:clap: Exactly!

Coke sells! ( pun intended)

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Bet they get a deal on property so the city and state takes it in the neck as well. And in Chicago, some close friend and contributor will sell the land, you watch.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
:clap: Exactly!

Needless to say, this program would not make the cut on Jaric's budget.

vailpass
07-20-2011, 05:11 PM

They don't need to be profitable, the government can just subsidize them. These people are obviously to ignorant to help themselves and need the government to step in./Left

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:13 PM
They don't need to be profitable, the government can just subsidize them. These people are obviously to ignorant to help themselves and need the government to step in./Left

Yeah, but I bet they still don't buy.

Gonna be another Amtrack.

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
If they sell smokes, beer, ripple, and lil debby snacks and take WIC.....winning!

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:16 PM
If they sell smokes, beer, ripple, and lil debby snacks and take WIC.....winning!

My understanding is that they do and Michelle doesn't like that. She figures if he defies the laws of marketing and merchandising it will change what they will buy.

alnorth
07-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Let me get this straight: they don't sell lettuce (just an example) at these stores in low-income communities? It's all junk?

I'm a bit skeptical too. No lettuce? None at all, its just 100% junk?

If we had a situation where these inner city communities literally had nothing but junk food for miles in every direction, and it was not economically feasible for private business to sell healthy food in the area, then I could see the rationale for some modest subsidies so those who want healthy food can get it.

I just simply do not believe there is zero, zilch, no healthy food in heavily populated areas. I'm not talking every possible vegetable and fruit you could possibly find in a Whole Foods store, but if there's lean meat, salad, and basic fruit available, that is good enough for me to say healthy food is available. Hell, for that matter you could get nice premium salads in McDonald's.

If you want variety, move.

Saul Good
07-20-2011, 05:21 PM
That's only 11,000 teacher salaries at $30,000 per year.

LiveSteam
07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Dont want kids eating shitty food. Then show all kids the video of the black man licking his fingers as he strips off a piece cheese & puts it on a Whopper Jr. My kid seen it. She aint ate BK,McDonald's,Wendy's, Long-Johns,ect in over a year

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Try to make a living selling Head lettuce and fruit to crackheads, meth dealers, and the children. Dude who needs some mad dog is not gonna wait for a lecture on nutrition.

Never happened before. Wont happen now. And at best they have to live with the Wookie looking over their shoulder for 4 more years. Id bet they get the deal, shes gone in two years, they can the stores as soon as the money stops and in 5 years the rats are back breeding in the walk in cooler.

Good idea. Build a store where there are no people and no money to sell stuff people dont want. Pure Democrat logic.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm a bit skeptical too. No lettuce? None at all, its just 100% junk?

No, you don't have it straight. You're both wrong. Let's go to the text:

— Michelle Obama unveiled the latest push in her healthy-eating campaign Wednesday, announcing several national and regional food retailers have pledged to expand into a string of low-income markets where finding nutritious food options is nearly impossible.

"low-income markets" does not mean stores. It means MARKETPLACES as in communities. Communities where there are no supermarkets in sight.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
"low-income markets" does not mean stores. It means MARKETPLACES as in communities. Communities where there are no supermarkets in sight.

I find it hard to believe there are no supermarkets in such areas.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Try to make a living selling Head lettuce and fruit to crackheads, meth dealers, and the children. Dude who needs some mad dog is not gonna wait for a lecture on nutrition.

Never happened before. Wont happen now. And at best they have to live with the Wookie looking over their shoulder for 4 more years. Id bet they get the deal, shes gone in two years, they can the stores as soon as the money stops and in 5 years the rats are back breeding in the walk in cooler.

Good idea. Build a store where there are no people and no money to sell stuff people dont want. Pure Democrat logic.

Actually certain nutritional deficiencies can lead one to craving alcohol or junk food. Then those things kill more nutrients, particularly alcohol destroying the B vitamins which can lead to depression. So it leads to wanting more. It's a vicious circle.

FD
07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Seems like a pretty bad idea.

alnorth
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM

No, I did have it right. I didn't first make the blind assumption there was a grocery store in a community and then wonder how a grocery store could have no lettuce, I get that grocery stores aren't always in low-income communities.

I am skeptical that there are no healthy options in those areas, regardless of the existence of a grocery store. If there's a McDonald's, there's a salad.

Donger
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM

So you are telling me that there is no healthy food in any of these neighborhood stores? No fruits, veggies? It's all junk?

orange
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I find it hard to believe there are no supermarkets in such areas.

Having lived here 53 years, I know for a fact that getting a supermarket - King Soopers - in downtown Denver around 1988 was a REALLY BIG deal.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
So you are telling me that there is no healthy food in any of these neighborhood stores? No fruits, veggies? It's all junk?

No, I'm saying there are no supermarkets. You can look up the advantages of those for yourself, but they start with prices.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Having lived here 53 years, I know for a fact that getting a supermarket - King Soopers - in downtown Denver around 1988 was a REALLY BIG deal.

Well what about those little ones like grocerias? My grandpop owned one of those in the city. Even those can be found in cities with some fresh fruits and veggies.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I am skeptical that there are no healthy options in those areas, regardless of the existence of a grocery store. If there's a McDonald's, there's a salad.

Small specialty stores - cheap or expensive?

Well what about those little ones like grocerias? My grandpop owned one of those in the city. Even those can be found in cities with some fresh fruits and veggies.

And I'll add you - small specialty stores - cheap or expensive?

Donger
07-20-2011, 05:44 PM
No, I'm saying there are no supermarkets. You can look up the advantages of those for yourself, but they start with prices.

Oh, so the entire premise of "where finding nutritious food options is nearly impossible" is crap? Got it.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Who gives a fuck if it is or isn't available.

If there was a large enough market for it, someone would have built one there.

This is just throwing millions of dollars away for no reason.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh, so the entire premise of "where finding nutritious food options is nearly impossible" is crap? Got it.

The White House says the collective effort will result in serving nearly 10 million Americans who currently have little affordable food alternatives to convenience stores and fast food chains.

No, that's pretty damned clear and it ain't crap.

Maybe we should go through each word. Which one don't you understand? "little" "affordable" "alternatives" Maybe "convenience stores" or "fast food chains" have you hung up.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Small specialty stores - cheap or expensive?
And I'll add you - small specialty stores - cheap or expensive?
So they can afford crack, cocaine and heroin but not a head of lettuce and a bag of carrots at a smaller store? Makes sense. ;)

orange
07-20-2011, 05:51 PM

p.s.

In announcing the effort Wednesday, Mrs. Obama said the project will do more than improve nutrition.

“Think about the difference we can make. Think about the numbers of people who will find jobs. Think about the neighborhoods that can potentially be transformed,” she said.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
So they can afford crack, cocaine and heroin but not a head of lettuce and a bag of carrots at a smaller store? Makes sense. ;)

Well, be fair, the demand for those other items is off the charts.

When was the last time you heard of someone sucking dick for a salad?

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
p.s.

In announcing the effort Wednesday, Mrs. Obama said the project will do more than improve nutrition.

“Think about the difference we can make. Think about the numbers of people who will find jobs. Think about the neighborhoods that can potentially be transformed,” she said.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Oh wait, you were serious.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, that's it. Inner-city people are all crackheads, hoes, and criminals. You can tell just by looking at them.

orange
07-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Leaving this thread, before I lose any further respect for some of you.

vailpass
07-20-2011, 05:57 PM
The White House says the collective effort will result in serving nearly 10 million Americans who currently have little affordable food alternatives to convenience stores and fast food chains.

Maybe we should go through each word. Which one don't you understand? "little" "affordable" "alternatives" Maybe "convenience stores" or "fast food chains" have you hung up.

And you wonder why you are widely considered a dick bag.

vailpass
07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, be fair, the demand for those other items is off the charts.

When was the last time you heard of someone sucking dick for a salad?

LMAO Exactly.
If those people wanted those products then that is what would be sold there.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Leaving this thread, before I lose any further respect for some of you.

LMAO

What, because some of us don't think spending several hundred million dollars on a program destined to fail is a good idea?

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Did the federal government pay King Sooper to put it there?

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 06:23 PM

If I'm a grocery store and I see 10 million people who don't have a grocery store, Im building stores like a madman. There is no 10 million unserved grocery customers and if you buy this line of crap you are dumber than I thought.

The grocery business is one based on very low gross margins and high volumes. It always has been. That being the case, if Michelles little venture is going to make it as small neighborhood food stores, they will be high priced to cover the lack of volume.

This is a business venture that will fall on a spear.

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 06:26 PM
p.s.

Detroit is a case study on inner city transformation. 34th and Troost. East St Louis. Great grocery opportunities abound.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
The grocery business is one based on very low gross margins and high volumes. It always has been. That being the case, if Michelles little venture is going to make it as small neighborhood food stores, they will be high priced to cover the lack of volume.

This is a business venture that will fall on a spear.

Nonsense. We will change those laws with beaming rays of good intentions.

Donger
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

I didn't click on the link, so I didn't see that part.

Honestly, it sounds like the healthy food IS available and it IS economically competitive, but these people are choosing NOT to purchase it. I don't see why adding more stores via public funds that have more of the same is going to help anyone.

Are you suggesting that one can't buy a head of lettuce and accoutrements to have a nice salad for a family for the same price as a McD's Value Meal?

Donger
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
p.s.

That's beautiful. She's a great spender of other peoples' money.

Amnorix
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Way to go Blackie O.

Remember the other thread where I call you racist and you were like "what, me, what?"

Yeah, this is why.

healthpellets
07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
if you drive through some of those areas, you might be surprised at the number of abandon former supermarkets you could find.

sometimes it's simply hard to run a profitable business when your biggest loss prevention risk are your own employees.

Amnorix
07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
I didn't click on the link, so I didn't see that part.

Honestly, it sounds like the healthy food IS available and it IS economically competitive, but these people are choosing NOT to purchase it. I don't see why adding more stores via public funds that have more of the same is going to help anyone.

Yep. Seems dumb. People are making their choices, and they're choosing junk. NO reason the rest of us should subsidize a healthier choice, really.

HonestChieffan
07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
"Walgreens CEO Gregory Wasson said the chain has already found high demand for nutritious offerings in the stores where they are currently available."

So.....why does the federal government need to spend 300 million bucks we dont have ?

ClevelandBronco
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Because the Safeway in Five Points/Curtis Park next to the projects didn't count.

ChiefsCountry
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
"Walgreens CEO Gregory Wasson said the chain has already found high demand for nutritious offerings in the stores where they are currently available."

So.....why does the federal government need to spend 300 million bucks we dont have ?

Obama has no clue about anything.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow...so this is where all the angry old white guys come to bitch because the president is Black, and the Mexican population is booming. I get it, you`re white, you`re old, and you fear change. You live in a "I wish it was like it use to be...when THEY knew their place and WE controlled things" type of world. I wish you luck on dealing with the changing face ( for the better) of America. Hold on to your sheets guys...its going to be a nice ride!

ClevelandBronco
07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Wow...so this is where all the angry old white guys come to bitch because the president is Black, and the Mexican population is booming. I get it, you`re white, you`re old, and you fear change. You live in a "I wish it was like it use to be...when THEY knew their place and WE controlled things" type of world. I wish you luck on dealing with the changing face ( for the better) of America. Hold on to your sheets guys...its going to be a nice ride!

I like this asshole already.

Brock
07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
That trolling guy has come to the right place!

alnorth
07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Yep. Seems dumb. People are making their choices, and they're choosing junk. NO reason the rest of us should subsidize a healthier choice, really.

If it is both available and affordable, then we're done.

Trying to pour enough money into it so that healthy food is CHEAPER than junk seems crazily expensive to me.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I like this asshole already.

I hate the donks...but thanks :thumb: LMAO

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I grew up on vegetables like okra, corn, pickled cucumbers, salad, greens, ...vegetables are pretty damn common in "poor people" food. I grew up in a poor area , and no, there are no healthy choices in most corner stores, or grocery stores. Once I "moved on up", I was able to start eating healthier, because the stores in the area I moved to had much healthier choices.. Poor people from projects to the trailer parks all have one thing in common...THEY'RE POOR!!! Poor people cant afford the healthier , more expensive foods. If all you know growing up is junky food..that's all you eat. If someone introduces healthier options to you , you might possibly eat healthier. Some of you folKKKS obviously have other agendas why you hate this program , and that's cool, to each his own.

Saul Good
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I grew up on vegetables like okra, corn, pickled cucumbers, salad, greens, ...vegetables are pretty damn common in "poor people" food. I grew up in a poor area , and no, there are no healthy choices in most corner stores, or grocery stores. Once I "moved on up", I was able to start eating healthier, because the stores in the area I moved to had much healthier choices.. Poor people from projects to the trailer parks all have one thing in common...THEY'RE POOR!!! Poor people cant afford the healthier , more expensive foods. If all you know growing up is junky food..that's all you eat. If someone introduces healthier options to you , you might possibly eat healthier. Some of you folKKKS obviously have other agendas why you hate this program , and that's cool, to each his own.

Give me the zip code where you grew up, and I'll check to see if there are any veggies available.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Give me the zip code where you grew up, and I'll check to see if there are any veggies available.

:clap:

loochy
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Lettuce is expensive?

Potatoes are expensive?

Canned vegetables are expensive?

DRY BEANS are expensive?

DRY RICE is expensive?

DRY OATS are expensive?

I think not.

Quit making excuses for voluntary mental retardation.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Lettuce is expensive?

Potatoes are expensive?

DRY BEANS are expensive?

DRY RICE is expensive?

DRY OATS are expensive?

I think not.

Quit making excuses for voluntary mental retardation.

Sir...I never meet you , let alone made any excuses for you.

loochy
07-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Sir...I never meet you , let alone made any excuses for you.

At least I know how to cook food to feed myself.

alnorth
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Poor people cant afford the healthier , more expensive foods.

bullcrap

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
At least I know how to cook food to feed myself.

:thumb: Gold star for you sir!...Gold star!

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 07:48 PM
bullcrap

I wont argue with you, but I will say that you probably don't know what you're talking about because obviously I know everything there is to know....( I learned this was the most used response in DC lounge while I lurked , so I figured why not bust it out now)

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that's it. Inner-city people are all crackheads, hoes, and criminals. You can tell just by looking at them.

No they're not but when I see them in a regular supermarket their carts are full of processed foods, Velveeta cheese, pasta products, white bread, fried foods, ham to cook their collards in. Then they pay with food stamps. They are also HUGE ! (<-- Where's listo?)

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 08:16 PM
From the Daily Apple Health and Nutrition: The Poor Body aka Poor Fat People

Average Poor Person in the 1930s'

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z53/MDA2007/depression-family-3.jpg

Average Poor Person Today!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z53/MDA2007/nicolabu6.jpg

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/poor-fat-people/

Jaric
07-20-2011, 08:27 PM

So lets get this straight.

You "grew up" on healthy foods (vegetables)
You "grew up" in a poor area.
There are no healthy choices in grocery stores in poor areas.

That's logically impossible. You can have 2 of those, but not all 3.

Also, this doesn't work either.

There are lots of vegetables in poor people food. They are common.
Vegetables, are healthy.

Again, you can have 2 of those, but not 3. And for the record, vegetables are healthy. So that one stays.

You better step up, you lookin kinda lost
Claimin two ghetto streets that don't even cross

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Vegetables, are healthy.

Again, you can have 2 of those, but not 3. And for the record, vegetables are healthy. So that one stays.

Maybe he grew up poor in the 1930's, 40's or 50's.

Jaric
07-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Are you suggesting that it's possible that Steinbeck documented our new friend's squalor?

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Are you suggesting that it's possible that Steinbeck documented our new friend's squalor?

Mmmmm I dunno! :huh:

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 08:57 PM

Vegetables, are healthy.

I don't see any reason to discuss this with you. You obviously have your own agenda and that's fine. Lets just agree that you're stupid, and move on...Cool ? Cool.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:00 PM

AHhh...you're one of those aren't you (Libertarian)...well fence rider, I don't really see any reason to discuss this further with you either. I mean whats the use, unless I totally agree with what you're saying you dismiss me ( again, another thing I learned from lurking in DC lounge) so why even discuss this :thumb: ?

stevieray
07-20-2011, 09:03 PM
been to a grocery store lately?

...it ain't cheap.

mickey ds will stil win out

headsnap
07-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I mean whats the use, unless I totally agree with what you're saying you dismiss me ( again, another thing I learned from lurking in DC lounge) so why even discuss this :thumb: ?

how much did the DNC/Soros pay you for your research?

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
how much did the DNC/Soros pay you for your research?

I just lurked for a while...pretty much disgusted with the DC lounge, even posted on my FB why Chiefsplanet would allow this "scared old white man" club to spew hate on Chiefsplanet. Most of these trolls don't even post in the Lounge, they just copy and past in here. I guess you could say I'm slumming it.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
AHhh...you're one of those aren't you (Libertarian)...well fence rider, I don't really see any reason to discuss this further with you either. I mean whats the use, unless I totally agree with what you're saying you dismiss me ( again, another thing I learned from lurking in DC lounge) so why even discuss this :thumb: ?

Dismiss you? How can anyone miss you? I just disagree with you. Oh, and I'm not a libertarian but I do lean toward limited govt, fiscal restraint and support federalism. There's really nothing wrong with that....but you have an agenda too.;)

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Dismiss you? How can anyone miss you? I just disagree with you. Oh, and I'm not a libertarian but I do lean toward limited govt, fiscal restraint and support federalism. There's really nothing wrong with that....but you have an agenda too.;)

Are you even a Chiefs fan ?

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

irrelevant

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
irrelevant

ummmmm...Its Chiefsplanet, I would say its very relevant. Are you a football fan in general ?

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
ummmmm...Its Chiefsplanet, I would say its very relevant. Are you a football fan in general ?

Go check the message when this board first appears where it invites you in....and the rules. Amnorix is a pats fan, we have redneckraider, listopencil and TacoJonh ( Broncos).

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Go check the message when this board first appears where it invites you in....and the rules. Amnorix is a pats fan, we have redneckraider, listopencil and TacoJonh ( Broncos).

I`m confused...Raider fans know what the interweb is ?

loochy
07-20-2011, 09:33 PM

LOL I think you have a point here. There ARE a lot of you that I've never seen post in the lounge. Why would you come to ChiefsPlanet, of all places, to discuss politics?

Jaric
07-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't see any reason to discuss this with you. You obviously have your own agenda and that's fine. Lets just agree that you're stupid, and move on...Cool ? Cool.

Awww. Won't you stay and continue spinning yarns about eating vegetables in "the hood" as a youth?

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
LOL I think you have a point here. There ARE a lot of you that I've never seen post in the lounge. Why would you come to ChiefsPlanet, of all places, to discuss politics?

This :thumb:

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, I started off in the lounge far more when first here and some politics went on there and was more pleasant. I looked over here and gulped before jumping in. But it got separated. I go over a few times a year but they hate the DC guys.

So that should tell you something right there. This is CHIEFSPLANET, this is about the Chiefs. I don't go to one of the many car forums I belong to and post about cooking. I think the DC lounge gives chiefs fans a bad name. I don't want people to come here and think that THIS represents Chiefs fans. If you want to spew your political yarn, do it in your own backyard....NOT MINE.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Jaric Won't you stay and continue spinning yarns about eating vegetables in "the hood" as a youth?[/QUOTE]

I don't know....you folks seam to not like a lot of COLOR over here..

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 09:40 PM
So that should tell you something right there. This is CHIEFSPLANET, this is about the Chiefs. I don't go to one of the many car forums I belong to and post about cooking. I think the DC lounge gives chiefs fans a bad name. I don't want people to come here and think that THIS represents Chiefs fans. If you want to spew your political yarn, do it in your own backyard....NOT MINE.

You got me before I deleted that as not worth answering. I've heard this whole angle and the responses before. So been there done that.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:48 PM
You got me before I deleted that as not worth answering. I've heard this whole angle and the responses before. So been there done that.

So basically you and the rest of the DC Clowns know you're trolling in Chiefs Planet but you don't care right ?

petegz28
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
So how many of these poor peoples who are forced to eat junk food go for the quarter pounder with cheese instead of the salad at McD's? How many of them go for the Coke instead of tea or diet soda? How many of them choose white bread when wheat bread is roughly the same price? Yes both white and wheat are sold in convenience stores.

I grew up in the inner city. My family owns several liquor stores throughout the inner city. The ironic thing? All the grocery stores around shut down but the liquor stores keep on kicking.

You can go to from 75th-85th streets between Troost and Holmes and you will see 2, not 1 but 2 grocery stores that have shut down but there are 3 convenience stores, a night club, couple bars and 2 liquor stores that are there, have been there and will still be there.

I think it's obvious where the people are choosing to spend their money. Oh yea, and do not try and claim that is not a "poor" neighnorhood. There are 4 apartment complexes in that area that cater to section 8.

BucEyedPea
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
nope

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
So how many of these poor peoples who are forced to eat junk food go for the quarter pounder with cheese instead of the salad at McD's? How many of them go for the Coke instead of tea or diet soda? How many of them choose white bread when wheat bread is roughly the same price? Yes both white and wheat are sold in convenience stores.

I grew up in the inner city. My family owns several liquor stores throughout the inner city. The ironic thing? All the grocery stores around shut down but the liquor stores keep on kicking.

You can go to from 75th-85th streets between Troost and Holmes and you will see 2, not 1 but 2 grocery stores that have shut down but there are 3 convenience stores, a night club, couple bars and 2 liquor stores that are there, have been there and will still be there.

I think it's obvious where the people are choosing to spend their money. Oh yea, and do not try and claim that is not a "poor" neighnorhood. There are 4 apartment complexes in that area that cater to section 8.

Nothing I say will change your mind. You live in a bubble , and I don't want to burst it. I understand your republican ideology wont allow you to see why poor people cant afford healthier foods...keep on trucking republican :thumb:

Jaric
07-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't know....you folks seam to not like a lot of COLOR over here..

Guilty as charged. I fucking hate green people.

Dave Lane
07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
You should do more posts like this. The blatant racism and complete hubris is mind numbing. I spend a lot less time in here with this type of drivel.

Way to go Blackie O.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:00 PM
You should do more posts like this. The blatant racism and complete hubris is mind numbing. I spend a lot less time in here with this type of drivel.

These clowns put me in the red lol...Hey, Im a chiefs fan ( Unlike them) so I have no problem with it, just goes to show how quick they are to get emotional over the interweb.

petegz28
07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Nothing I say will change your mind. You live in a bubble , and I don't want to burst it. I understand your republican ideology wont allow you to see why poor people cant afford healthier foods...keep on trucking republican :thumb:

What bubble do I live in? I lived in the very bubble you are trying to say has no grocery stores. We did have stores. They shut down. Went out of business. Meanwhile the liquor stores are all still there. Sorry to burst your bubble there, pal. Yes, white people live in the inner city too.

Brock
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Kotter?

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
What bubble do I live in? I lived in the very bubble you are trying to say has no grocery stores. We did have stores. They shut down. Went out of business. Meanwhile the liquor stores are all still there. Sorry to burst your bubble there, pal. Yes, white people live in the inner city too.

Yes...I know they do...I have white family members who live in the inner city. I just would assume some one who has lived in the inner city ,would understand the dynamics of how the poor live. Knowing that , you would know that beer and liqueur are cheep , were as groceries for a family aren't ,and wouldn't make such a asinine comment, that is based on half truths....just saying broski

petegz28
07-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes...I know they do...I have white family members who live in the inner city. I just would assume some one who has lived in the inner city ,would understand the dynamics of how the poor live, knowing that there beer and liqueur are cheep , were as groceries for a family aren't ,and wouldn't make such a asinine comment, that is based on half truths....just saying broski

I know how the poor live. I know once a month at the minimum I was offered to buy food stamps for .20 on the $. I know week after week people would come in asking to buy beer and liquor on credit until they got paid. Spare me the beer and liquor is cheAp routine. For the money they spent on liquor in a week they could have easily bought some groceries. Especially if they weren't selling their food stamps for cash...

You didn't think you were going to run across someone here who grew up in the inner city, went to inner city schools, worked in the inner city, etc.

I understand perfectly. I know the one's who came in to buy milk and bread and the one's who came in pawning off their food stamps and begging for beer on credit. I know the one's who came in and cashed their pay checks and the one's who came in and cashed their guv'ment checks. I know the one's that put their family ahead of their vices. You aren't going to play your bullshit this way. I've lived it. I've been there. I've seen it.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I know how the poor live. I know once a month at the minimum I was offered to buy food stamps for .20 on the $. I know week after week people would come in asking to buy beer and liquor on credit until they got paid. Spare me the beer and liquor is cheAp routine. For the money they spent on liquor in a week they could have easily bought some groceries. Especially if they weren't selling their food stamps for cash...

You didn't think you were going to run across someone here who grew up in the inner city, went to inner city schools, worked in the inner city, etc.

I understand perfectly. I know the one's who came in to buy milk and bread and the one's who came in pawning off their food stamps and begging for beer on credit. I know the one's who came in and cashed their pay checks and the one's who came in and cashed their guv'ment checks. I know the one's that put their family ahead of their vices. You aren't going to play your bullshit this way. I've lived it. I've been there. I've seen it.

YOu do know that the vast majority of people who live in that area have bank accounts right ? You only got to see a SMALL PERCENTAGE of people who dont have bank accounts, yet you're so quick to make it seam like all of them do this..you're point was that they spend their money on drinks instead of food. I sold insurance on 75 and troost for a few years, and almost all of my customers had bank accounts..this is what I mean by you making asinine statements based on half truths...you see a small percentage and try to paint all of them like that....typical .

petegz28
07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
YOu do know that the vast majority of people who live in that area have bank accounts right ? You only got to see a SMALL PERCENTAGE of people, yet you're so quick to make it seam like all of them do this..you're point was that they spend their money on drinks instead of food. I sold insurance on 75 and troost for a few years, and almost all of my customers had bank accounts..this is what I mean by you making asinine statements based on half truths...you see a small percentage and try to paint all of them like that....typical .

What statements? When did I ever say most didn't have bank accounts? If you truly worked at 75th and Troost then you know good and damn well what I say is the truth. The Thriftway by President Gardens? Gone! Nevermind there are 4 apartment complexes around there, within walking distance even, at least 3 bars and 2 liquor stores. Then you had the grocery store at 85th and Holmes...GONE! And what's that??? An apartment complex right next door to that too??? But the bar in the strip next to it...still going. Now, I wonder why these grocery stores are out of business if the people were going there instead of the still in business bars and liquor stores?

Milk sure the **** ain't as cheap at a convenience store as it is in the grocery store. Liquor stores can't take food stamps for beer so.....basic economics my friend. BTW, I lived at 77th and Troost for almost 20 years. I knew the neighborhoods. I knew the people and the families. So this bullshit that there were no stores available with healthy foods is just that, bullshit.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
What statements? When did I ever say most didn't have bank accounts? If you truly worked at 75th and Troost then you know good and damn well what I say is the truth. The Thriftway by President Gardens? Gone! Nevermind there are 4 apartment complexes around there, within walking distance even, at least 3 bars and 2 liquor stores. Then you had the grocery store at 85th and Holmes...GONE! But the bar in the strip next to it...still going. Now, I wonder why these grocery stores are out of business if the people were going there instead of the still in business bars and liquor stores?

Milk sure the **** ain't as cheap and a convenience store as it is in the grocery store. Liquor stores can't take food stamps for beer so.....basic economics my friend. BTW, I lived at 77th and Troost for almost 20 years. I knew the neighborhoods. I knew the people and the families. So this bullshit that there were no stores available with healthy foods is just that, bullshit.
This concept of poor people not being able to afford healthier foods, and the reasons why is obviously something you struggle with

petegz28
07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
This concept of poor people not being able to afford healthier foods, and the reasons why is obviously something you struggle with

They can afford them. It's choices. Fruit and veggies are cheap. Cheaper than most of the crap in the store even. I understand perfectly why they allegedly "can't afford them" and you don't like it.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:35 PM
They can afford them. It's choices. Fruit and veggies are cheap. Cheaper than most of the crap in the store even. I understand perfectly why they allegedly "can't afford them" and you don't like it.

again....you're clueless..but I'm sure you have something to copy and paste to prove your point.

petegz28
07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
again....you're clueless..but I'm sure you have something to copy and paste to prove your point.

Clueless...yep.....it's not my fault your bullshit isn't being bought. You thought you knew something. It's ok. You thought everyone on here was a bunch of white, sub-urban types who have never seen the inner-city outside of tv and movies.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Clueless...yep.....it's not my fault your bullshit isn't being bought. You thought you knew something. It's ok. You thought everyone on here was a bunch of white, sub-urban types who have never seen the inner-city outside of tv and movies.

I didn't think that. But I can tell you that you're trying to hard...seriously....I just don't believe you broski. Its like you claim to be poor, know the poor, but if you did you would understand why poor people cant afford healthier food choices alot of the time. If you want to play this game, you really need to do it with someone who cant see through your bullshit....just saying , you should really stick to copying and pasting...you got that down pat.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Looks like I have a stalker.

We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:57 PM Mizzou_8541 Busted lying. Who you gonna blame that on? White people?
We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:54 PM Mizzou_8541 Quite the victim you are.
We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:52 PM Mizzou_8541 Glad you are here to educate us. So worldy you are.
MSNBC Woman gets... 07-20-2011 11:41 PM Mizzou_8541 Weak. That post made you look stupid.
What May a President Do... 07-20-2011 10:55 PM headsnap You might want to do something about your hate problem, that's not healthy... just sayin'
Obama ready to take a... 07-20-2011 10:51 PM BucEyedPea not okay

Mizzou_8541
07-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks like I have a stalker.

We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:57 PM Mizzou_8541 Busted lying. Who you gonna blame that on? White people?
We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:54 PM Mizzou_8541 Quite the victim you are.
We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:52 PM Mizzou_8541 Glad you are here to educate us. So worldy you are.
MSNBC Woman gets... 07-20-2011 11:41 PM Mizzou_8541 Weak. That post made you look stupid.
What May a President Do... 07-20-2011 10:55 PM headsnap You might want to do something about your hate problem, that's not healthy... just sayin'

I deducted more. You may want to add that to your list.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I deducted more. You may want to add that to your list.

If it makes up for your lack of self esteem ...do it ! lol....the fact that you got this worked up over the interweb and neg repped me like this only makes it even funnier... even Petegz28 didnt neg repp...lol...but the neg rep wont make up for the fact the you probably a very lonely person..

We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:59 PM Mizzou_8541 You are the definition of enlightened.

Mizzou_8541
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
If it makes up for your lack of self esteem ...do it ! lol....the fact that you got this worked up over the interweb and neg repped me like this only makes it even funnier... even Petegz28 didnt neg repp...lol...

We are broke. Obama... 07-20-2011 11:59 PM Mizzou_8541 You are the definition of enlightened.

It's not my fault you are wrong.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 11:08 PM
It's not my fault you are wrong.

And its not my fault you're lonely.....build up your self esteem and things will change for you my friend, until then you will just be "that guy" who takes this interweb WAY to serious...

Mizzou_8541
07-20-2011, 11:12 PM
And its not my fault you're lonely.....build up your self esteem and things will change for you my friend, until then you will just be "that guy" who takes this interweb WAY to serious...

Thank God I can just run out and pick up some lettuce in my community to make me feel better. I would be lost without it.

Thatguy
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Thank God I can just run out and pick up some lettuce in my community to make me feel better. I would be lost without it.

Nice! Its like you prove my point...and you still reinforce that fact that you have no life.

Mizzou_8541
07-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice! Its like you prove my point...and you still reinforce that fact that you have no life.

Typical Dem...ad hominem attacks without an argument. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Thatguy
07-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Typical Dem...ad hominem attacks without an argument. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Is the depression just about ready to make you take the short way out ?

dirk digler
07-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Interesting discussion. Here is a story from 2008 of a successful government program to help inner city grocers in PA. It is the blueprint for the current WH initiative.

And I looked it up and they are still in business today. Not bad

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Responsible-Tech/2008/0627/wanted-inner-city-supermarkets
Wanted: inner-city supermarkets

Grocer Jeff Brown put a lot of sweat into his ShopRite supermarket in inner-city Philadelphia: He built a pork-free meat room for Muslim customers, stocked the aisles with the Jamaican and African cuisine that neighbors requested, and taught job skills to the hires new to the workforce.

Despite skyrocketing commodity prices, Mr. Brown says the store – a venture that he never could have opened without a loan from Pennsylvania’s Fresh Food Financing Initiative – is making money.

Brown’s ShopRite is more than just a driver of urban development. It’s part of a major public-health program aimed at squashing obesity and related concerns such as heart disease and diabetes.

“There aren’t any other supermarkets within two to three miles,” he says. Without his store, the patrons “would probably eat at McDonald’s or shop at a drug store or the dollar store for food – none healthy or fresh.”

Pennsylvania’s Fresh Food Financing Initiative (FFFI) is believed to be the nation’s only statewide public-private funding initiative dedicated to opening grocery stores in underserved areas. In three years, the $120 million fund has provided “gap financing” – money beyond what a grocer normally could receive in grants and loans – to open or update 52 supermarkets statewide, creating some 4,000 jobs in the process.

From its inception, the plan has been admired by policy experts for its merging of economic and public-health innovations. But as gasoline and food prices continue to rise, the FFFI is attracting increased attention.
“What people are forced to do in some communities is travel to supermarkets in suburban locations, and the cost of gasoline has risen dramatically,” says Ken Klothen, a deputy secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development, the state arm of the partnership.

Diet was the main concern in 2002 when an employee of the Food Trust – a Philadelphia group dedicated to increasing access to healthy, affordable food – stopped state Rep. Dwight Evans on his evening walk. Public health and economic development initiatives existed in many low-income Philadelphia areas. But the ends weren’t meeting, and residents’ food shopping options were still drugstores, expensive corner shops, or fast food.

“We hadn’t had a real policy about food access that was coherent, and the big challenges are the issue of obesity, the generation of jobs, and community transformation,” Mr. Evans says.

Convinced a grocery store initiative could be an answer, Evans persuaded the governor to establish the FFFI with $10 million included in a 2005 stimulus bill, followed by another $10 million in 2006 and in 2007.
The Reinvestment Fund, a private nonprofit lender and investor in low-income communities, was tapped to manage the fund. The Food Trust and the Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition round out the partnership.

Public-private state initiatives can be hard to manage, says Steve Goldsmith, a former mayor of Indianapolis and professor at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. Mr. Goldsmith heads a Harvard awards program for policy innovations, in which the FFFI is a finalist. “It’s often very complex, and the fact that public money was flexible and the private sector was involved looking at risk” in this dual-purpose initiative is intriguing.

Part of that flexibility required delving more deeply than conventional market analysis to assure the grocers that low-income areas could sustain a supermarket. In its own study, the Food Trust used population density figures and local spending data – rather than median household income, a more common tool – to estimate that Philadelphia’s inner-city communities hold at least $50 million of retail buying power per mile.

FFFI’s gap financing covers grocers’ operating needs. For example, Brown needed help paying for security and training – such costs for inner-city stores are much higher than those for the suburban shops that he owns.

And in this case, Brown says that he can’t pass the costs on to customers. “There would be no way to do this. These are customers with very modest means,” he says.

Brown’s ShopRite opened alongside several large stores, creating 900 jobs just in that one neighborhood, he says. “Which means 900 families can buy food and get off of welfare,” Brown says. (Most of his employees live in the local community.)

Mr. Klothen notes that there’s still work to be done. For one, many of the new jobs earn enough money to feed an individual, but still not enough to support a whole family.

Nonetheless, most observers, including Klothen, agree the project is a success.

While several cities have their own supermarket programs, FFFI’s success has sparked a slew of cities and states contacting Representative Evans and plan partners about replicating the program – an idea they embrace.

“When you get going, it really works,” Klothen says. “It’s a good role for government to play – making it possible for the private sector to do what it does best and can’t do without gap financing.”

BucEyedPea
07-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Kotter?

Minus the angst. Good guess though!

banyon
07-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Anyone know if these are direct subsidies or tax deductions?

If It's the latter, aren't people in the budget debate referring to all tax deductions as "tax increases" or "tax decreases" depending on whether they are being created or going away?

Also, if they are then "tax decreases" we're supposed to support them no questions asked, right?

Bob Dole
07-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy them seeds? Do they not have dirt in these neighborhoods?

BucEyedPea
07-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Interesting discussion. Here is a story from 2008 of a successful government program to help inner city grocers in PA. It is the blueprint for the current WH initiative.

And I looked it up and they are still in business today. Not bad

And in this case, Brown says that he can’t pass the costs on to customers. “There would be no way to do this. These are customers with very modest means,” he says.And in this case, Brown says that he can’t pass the costs on to customers. “There would be no way to do this. These are customers with very modest means,” he says.

In business with their own self-generating and self-sustaining profit? Or propped up with subsidies? Doesn't sound like it. That's not true success in my book.

It still remains, that we're in a depression so why are we financing such initiatives anyway from the Federal govt.
Not to mention the utter UnConstitutionality of this using Federal funds. This Penn program is a state-funded program.

ChiefsCountry
07-21-2011, 08:02 AM
been to a grocery store lately?

...it ain't cheap.

mickey ds will stil win out

In the long run the grocery store is cheaper. For a non married guy like myself I do eat out more than I should, but that is mainly bc its hard to cook for one, but its a whole lot cheaper to buy groceries than eat out all of the time.

alpha_omega
07-21-2011, 08:40 AM

The words i am having trouble with are "The White House says..."

Dayze
07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Thatguy is obviously a dupe....surely he is. No one can possibly be this stupid.

Getting owned by people left and right lol. What a moran.

mlyonsd
07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Paying Walmart to build new stores.

The Obamas have gone full retard.

blaise
07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
So, these stores can claim they're losing money in a few years and go right back for another handout and say, "hey all we need is a few more million dollars."

blaise
07-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Seriously, if there's such a demand for this and such a shortage, why wouldn't some enterprising person in the area open up a farmer's market, or small produce stand in the area? According to Michelle, they demand is so large the person would make a killing.

King Tut
07-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Seriously, if there's such a demand for this and such a shortage, why wouldn't some enterprising person in the area open up a farmer's market, or small produce stand in the area? According to Michelle, they demand is so large the person would make a killing.

I think the problem is the people who live in these "areas" always want a 5 finger discount, if you get my drift.

mlyonsd
07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
So, these stores can claim they're losing money in a few years and go right back for another handout and say, "hey all we need is a few more million dollars."Collect Obama dollars on the front end and claim losses on the back end. Damn corporations.

dirk digler
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
In business with their own self-generating and self-sustaining profit? Or propped up with subsidies? Doesn't sound like it. That's not true success in my book.

It still remains, that we're in a depression so why are we financing such initiatives anyway from the Federal govt.
Not to mention the utter UnConstitutionality of this using Federal funds. This Penn program is a state-funded program.

The FFFI in Pennslvania uses mostly loans and some grant money to help get grocers in low income places. I think that is a pretty good idea.

blaise
07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe they can build the new stores on the same plots of land where the defunct stores, that closed down due to lack of profitability, stand now.

loochy
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Thatguy, please tell us why poor people can afford unhealthy food but can't afford healthy food.

This is true, especially if you look at it as a bang for your buck type situation instead of "a dozen apples costs more than a box of twinkies so apples cost too much." It IS a matter of choices.

Its like you claim to be poor, know the poor, but if you did you would understand why poor people cant afford healthier food choices alot of the time.

Once again, please answer my questions below. Tell me if these things are or are not expensive. How long do you think you could feed a family on $40 worth of dry oats, dry beans, and dry long grain brown rice?

Lettuce is expensive?

Potatoes are expensive?

DRY BEANS are expensive?

DRY RICE is expensive?

DRY OATS are expensive?

Chief Henry
07-21-2011, 10:47 AM
They will need armed guards in every isle of these stores and a lawyer for each store.

loochy
07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
They will need armed guards in every isle of these stores and a lawyer for each store.

They could pay them with junk food.

BucEyedPea
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
The FFFI in Pennslvania uses mostly loans and some grant money to help get grocers in low income places. I think that is a pretty good idea.

Didn't you once say to me, that it was not a good idea that the govt get involved in too many things because it screws things up? I remember it. What happened to that thinking with you?

Why are you promoting this as good during a depression with so many out of work? Did you know that unemployment for blacks is at 16%?

vailpass
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Remember the other thread where I call you racist and you were like "what, me, what?"

Yeah, this is why.

That shit was funny and you know it. Nothing racist about it; unscrew your sphincter a little.

vailpass
07-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Paying Walmart to build new stores.

The Obamas have gone full retard.

And Walmart execs are hardly able to keep a straight face while hearing the White House pitch. Soon as obama is out of the room they burst out laughing.

dirk digler
07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Why are you promoting this as good during a depression with so many out of work? Did you know that unemployment for blacks is at 16%?

Yes which is why this makes all the more sense especially if it just loans to help open stores.

At let me point out I don't know the details of where, who and how the money is going I am just making a general observation.

And if you think about Michelle Obama just helped create more jobs than the Republican House has LMAO

Hydrae
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes which is why this makes all the more sense especially if it just loans to help open stores.

At let me point out I don't know the details of where, who and how the money is going I am just making a general observation.

And if you think about Michelle Obama just helped create more jobs than the Republican House has LMAO

So once the stores are open they will generate enough profit to repay that loan, right? :rolleyes:

dirk digler
07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
So once the stores are open they will generate enough profit to repay that loan, right? :rolleyes:

I would hope so since it is a loan not a grant.

Bob Dole
07-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Doesn't the government offer you a bailout when you over-extend yourself and can't repay your loan?

Bob Dole is pretty sure he read that somewhere...

vailpass
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM

LMAO

Oh shit, were you serious?

Baby Lee
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Ironic that Walmart stays out of St. Louis city limits because it doesn't like the litigation awards that transpire there.

Hydrae
07-21-2011, 12:21 PM

You know, that is how it appears to be working in Pennsylvania but I see nothing about loan or otherwise in the OP. The way it is written it sounds like we the people are footing this bill.

BucEyedPea
07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

It's the govt's job to create jobs by loaning money to food stores, taken from businessmen who can't afford to hire people due to lack of demand for their goods and services?

Where is this in the Constitution? Wow, Big Brother telling people to eat their veggies.

Or are you saying an unelected person like Ms. Obama is authorized to do this? LMAO

Hydrae
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, so I read another article about this idea here (http://www.kfor.com/news/kfsm-michelle-obama-teams-up-with-walmart-other-retailers-20110720,0,171107.story) about how much it is needed in Spiro, Oklahoma (a food desert). Then I do a google search for grocerty stores near Spiro and find several including an IGA right in the middle of town (http://www.yellowpages.com/spiro-ok/grocery-stores). WTF are these people talking about? :shrug:

Telling quote from the linked article:

“I don’t really think Spiro needs another grocery store, but I think it’d be good for jobs,” said Jamie Emerson, of Spiro.

Another? I thought this was a food desert. :spock:

mlyonsd
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I think this program is based on the findings of this congressional study:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/AP/AP036/

From the summary:

Findings
Access to a supermarket or large grocery store is a problem for a small percentage of households.

Results indicate that some consumers are constrained in their ability to access affordable nutritious food because they live far from a supermarket or large grocery store and do not have easy access to transportation. Three pieces of evidence corroborate this conclusion:

• Of all U.S. households, 2.3 million, or 2.2 percent, live more than a mile from a supermarket and do not have access to a vehicle. An additional 3.4 million households, or 3.2 percent of all households, live between one-half to 1 mile and do not have access to a vehicle.

• Area-based measures of access show that 23.5 million people live in low-income areas areas where more than 40 percent of the population has income at or below 200 percent of Federal poverty thresholds) that are more than 1 mile from a supermarket or large grocery store. However, not all of these 23.5 million people have low income. If estimates are restricted to consider only low-income people in low-income areas, then 11.5 million people, or 4.1 percent of the total U.S. population, live in low-income areas more than 1 mile from a supermarket.

• Data on time use and travel mode show that people living in low-income areas with limited access spend significantly more time (19.5 minutes) traveling to a grocery store than thenational average (15 minutes). However, 93 percent of those who live in low-income areas with limited access traveled to the grocery store in a vehicle they or another household member drove.

kc rush
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Hmmm, so I read another article about this idea here (http://www.kfor.com/news/kfsm-michelle-obama-teams-up-with-walmart-other-retailers-20110720,0,171107.story) about how much it is needed in Spiro, Oklahoma (a food desert). Then I do a google search for grocerty stores near Spiro and find several including an IGA right in the middle of town (http://www.yellowpages.com/spiro-ok/grocery-stores). WTF are these people talking about? :shrug:

Telling quote from the linked article:

“I don’t really think Spiro needs another grocery store, but I think it’d be good for jobs,” said Jamie Emerson, of Spiro.

Another? I thought this was a food desert. :spock:

Obviously they only sell junk food and liquor at these stores.

Hydrae
07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I think this program is based on the findings of this congressional study:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/AP/AP036/

From the summary:

Interesting, so everyone needs to be within 1 mile of a grocery store if they do not have a vehicle of their own. Might be cheaper to provide them with cars (what did they do with those clunkers? :hmmm: ).

petegz28
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Interesting, so everyone needs to be within 1 mile of a grocery store if they do not have a vehicle of their own. Might be cheaper to provide them with cars (what did they do with those clunkers? :hmmm: ).

Then again, the extra walking will contribute to their health thus lowering the overall cost of Obamacare.

See, you just have to look for the positives in every situation.

HonestChieffan
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
And Walmart execs are hardly able to keep a straight face while hearing the White House pitch. Soon as obama is out of the room they burst out laughing.

Don't forget Hillary was on the Board of Directors....

dirk digler
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
You know, that is how it appears to be working in Pennsylvania but I see nothing about loan or otherwise in the OP. The way it is written it sounds like we the people are footing this bill.

I was referring to what they do in PA. I have no idea how the one Michelle is proposing is structured.

HonestChieffan
07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

There in lies a consistency with all government programs. The bill is footed by the government and they then confiscate your earnings to pay for their program.

Chief Roundup
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
More bullshit spending that should be cut instead of starting another sinkhole.

HonestChieffan
07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Damn the facts...

First Lady flubs food desert data
By: Conn Carroll | Senior Editorial Writer Follow Him @Conncarroll | 07/22/11 9:40 AM
First Lady Michelle Obama claimed that 23.5 million Americans live in “food deserts” Wednesday, but the Department of Agriculture website that defines the term says only 13.5 million Americans live in the census tracts identified as "food deserts" by the Obama administration.

Obama’s 23.5 million claim came at a press conference designed to give giant retailers, like Wal Mart, the political influence they need to convince liberal-controlled local governments to allow them to open new stores in urban areas. The First Lady hopes that big retailers can bring more healthy food options to lower income Americans. “Today’s announcement means that more parents will have a fresh food retailer right in their community – a place that sells healthy food, at reasonable prices, so they can feed their families the way they want.” The Obama administration is apparently unaware that small businesses are perfectly capable of selling healthy food to low income urban areas.

Last year, when Obama unveiled her Let’s Move campaign, she claimed, “Right now there are 23.5 million Americans, including 6.5 million children, who live in what we call “food deserts.” These are places and communities that don’t have a supermarket. This is true in the inner city and in rural communities.”

But by the time the Department of Agriculture managed to produce a map showing where these food deserts were this year, the definition of ‘food desert’ had changed. From the Ag Department’s Food Desert Locator: “An estimated total of 13.5 million people in these census tracts have low access to a supermarket or large grocery store—that is, they live more than 1 [for urban tracts] or 10 [for rural tracts] miles from a supermarket or large grocery store.”

Turns out that by simply extending the supermarket cut-off in rural areas from one to ten miles, the Obama administration managed to rescue 10 million Americans from food deserts. Problem is, no one clued the First Lady in on this stunning success.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/07/first-lady-flubs-food-desert-data?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=feed+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeltwayConfidential+%28Beltway+Confidential%29feed&utm_content=feed&utm_term=feed#ixzz1Sr05I6AE

vailpass
07-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Damn the facts...

First Lady flubs food desert data
By: Conn Carroll | Senior Editorial Writer Follow Him @Conncarroll | 07/22/11 9:40 AM
First Lady Michelle Obama claimed that 23.5 million Americans live in “food deserts” Wednesday, but the Department of Agriculture website that defines the term says only 13.5 million Americans live in the census tracts identified as "food deserts" by the Obama administration.

Obama’s 23.5 million claim came at a press conference designed to give giant retailers, like Wal Mart, the political influence they need to convince liberal-controlled local governments to allow them to open new stores in urban areas. The First Lady hopes that big retailers can bring more healthy food options to lower income Americans. “Today’s announcement means that more parents will have a fresh food retailer right in their community – a place that sells healthy food, at reasonable prices, so they can feed their families the way they want.” The Obama administration is apparently unaware that small businesses are perfectly capable of selling healthy food to low income urban areas.

Last year, when Obama unveiled her Let’s Move campaign, she claimed, “Right now there are 23.5 million Americans, including 6.5 million children, who live in what we call “food deserts.” These are places and communities that don’t have a supermarket. This is true in the inner city and in rural communities.”

But by the time the Department of Agriculture managed to produce a map showing where these food deserts were this year, the definition of ‘food desert’ had changed. From the Ag Department’s Food Desert Locator: “An estimated total of 13.5 million people in these census tracts have low access to a supermarket or large grocery store—that is, they live more than 1 [for urban tracts] or 10 [for rural tracts] miles from a supermarket or large grocery store.”

Turns out that by simply extending the supermarket cut-off in rural areas from one to ten miles, the Obama administration managed to rescue 10 million Americans from food deserts. Problem is, no one clued the First Lady in on this stunning success.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/07/first-lady-flubs-food-desert-data?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=feed+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeltwayConfidential+%28Beltway+Confidential%29feed&utm_content=feed&utm_term=feed#ixzz1Sr05I6AE

LMAO The First Sasquatch is finally proud of her country.