PDA

View Full Version : Media MSNBC Boosts its Credibility with the Al Sharpton Show

HonestChieffan
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
MSNBC....really? Al Sharpton?

(NY Times) — After giving a nearly six-month tryout for the Internet talk show host Cenk Uygur, the cable news channel MSNBC is preparing to instead hand its 6 p.m. time slot to the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Mr. Sharpton’s imminent hiring, which was acknowledged by three people at the channel on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been signed, is significant in part because MSNBC and other news channels have been criticized for a paucity of minority hosts in prominent time slots. Mr. Sharpton, who is black and is a well-known civil rights activist and radio host, has been guest hosting in the 6 p.m. time slot for the last three weeks.

There had been uncertainty about the 6 p.m. slot ever since the channel’s marquee anchor, Keith Olbermann, departed in January, prompting Ed Schultz to be moved to 10 p.m. from 6. Suddenly Mr. Uygur, who had been made a paid contributor to MSNBC months earlier, was handed 6 p.m., a big coup given that he had earlier campaigned to have his progressive Web show “The Young Turks” picked up by MSNBC.

He earned solid but not stand-out ratings; in late June the channel’s president, Phil Griffin, decided to try out Mr. Sharpton, and offered Mr. Uygur a new contract that included a weekend show, but not a higher-profile weekday show.

Mr. Uygur, who by most accounts was well liked within MSNBC, said in an interview that he turned down the new contract because he felt Mr. Griffin had been the recipient of political pressure. In April, he said, Mr. Griffin “called me into his office and said that he’d been talking to people in Washington, and that they did not like my tone.” He said he guessed Mr. Griffin was referring to White House officials, though he had no evidence for the assertion. He also said that Mr. Griffin said the channel was part of the “establishment,” and “that you need to act like it.

blaise
07-21-2011, 05:08 PM
But FOX news! Like, FAUX news has a bunch of crazy racists and FAUX NEWS!

Stewie
07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Do people really get (and believe) the information spewed from these ridiculous cable channels? They do nothing but stir shit for ratings. There's no real substance at all.

blaise
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Wasn't this the network that fired Don Imus for racial remarks? And they hire Sharpton?

vailpass
07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Be hilarious if they told him he had to use a separate drinking fountain.

redsurfer11
07-21-2011, 05:20 PM
"Boogity, boogity, boogity, let's go racing boys!"

|Zach|
07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Al Sharpton is annoying.

Jaric
07-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Do people really get (and believe) the information spewed from these ridiculous cable channels? They do nothing but stir shit for ratings. There's no real substance at all.

I consider all of them little more than political advertisements.

ROYC75
07-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Al Sharpton is annoying.

It's not often we agree on things, but this is one of them.

fan4ever
07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Jeepers, if I remember correctly he got a podium spot a few years back at the Democrat debates; it's only right MSNBC give him a little something. I love it the left has to embrace this guy at the risk of otherwise being called racist...by the biggest race-baiter of them all.