PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Compare and Contrast

HonestChieffan
07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
No wonder congress gets an approval rating below herpes

Harry Reid: On Cut Cap and Balance

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/07/21/harry_reid_cap_cap_and_balance_worst_piece_of_legislation_ever.html

(RCP) If they [Republicans] want to debate it tomorrow for a period of time, they can do that, but Im going to I think this piece of legislation is about as weak and senseless as anything that has ever come on this Senate floor, and I am not going to waste the Senates time day after day on this piece of legislation which I think is an anathema to what our country is all about. So everyone understand, were going to have a vote tomorrow. Im not going to wait until Saturday. Were going to have a vote tomorrow. I feel confident that this legislation will be disposed of one way or the other. The American people should understand that this is a bad piece of legislation. Perhaps some of the worst legislation in the history of this country, Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) said on the Senate floor.

The American People on Cut Cap and Balance
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/07/two-thirds-americans-support-house-cut-cap-and-balance-plan
(Washington Examiner) CNN just released a poll of 1,000 Americans showing overwhelming support for the House Republican approach to the debt limit crisis. Specifically, 66 percent of Americans favor a deal where both houses of Congresses pass a balance budget amendment, and substantial cuts and caps on future spending, in exchange for a debt limit hike.

As a stand alone measure 74 percent of Americans favor a constitutional amendment to require a balanced federal budget. And 60 percent of Americans believe a balanced budget amendment is necessary to get federal deficits under control.

The poll is not all bad news for President Obama. Sixty-six percent of Americans do support a plan to cut four trillion dollars in government spending and raise taxes as part of a debt limit hike.