PDA

View Full Version : Media Fox News' coverage of the hacking scandal

Cave Johnson
07-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Totally fair and balanced.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8906/foxw.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/foxw.gif/)

An analysis by the Pew Institute’s Project for Excellence in Journalism found that, over the eight days ending July 15, CNN devoted 35 minutes of daytime coverage to the phone-hacking scandal; MSNBC spent 18 minutes on the story. Murdoch’s Fox News devoted just under 4 minutes.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/07/how-co-opted-is-fox-news.html

PunkinDrublic
07-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Andrew Sullivan gets his funding from George Soros

signed,

Sportsshrink

Cave Johnson
07-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Andrew Sullivan gets his funding from George Soros

signed,

Sportsshrink

Needs more quotation marks.

vailpass
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
The hacking scandal has little if any significance in America. There are many current issues that are infinetely more news worthy. I have no problem if Fox is covering those issues instead of the phone hacking.

Donger
07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
So, CNN and MSNBC are covering it a lot more than Fox?

HonestChieffan
07-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Takes a lot of effort and time to make a mountain out of a molehill.

blaise
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
So, CNN and MSNBC are covering it a lot more than Fox?

I think the point he's making is that MSNBC and CNN have been unfair in their coverage; in that it's too much.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 12:38 PM
What is the right number of minutes of coverage? I googled, but couldn't find the answer.

blaise
07-22-2011, 12:44 PM
What is the right number of minutes of coverage? I googled, but couldn't find the answer.

Well, MSNBC just hired Al Sharpton, so we know they're balanced. Let's go with their number.

BucEyedPea
07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
The hacking scandal has little if any significance in America. There are many current issues that are infinetely more news worthy. I have no problem if Fox is covering those issues instead of the phone hacking.

It has significance to me.

dirk digler
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Absolutely not surprising. And when they covered it they have defended News Corp and their boss. Maybe on second thought it is just better for them to keep their mouth shut instead of looking stupid.

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Amazing how those on here who go on and on and on about the evils of "MSM" are willing to give Faux News and its sister companies in the Murdoch empire a complete pass on this.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Well, MSNBC just hired Al Sharpton, so we know they're balanced. Let's go with their number.

That sounds right. :thumb:

mlyonsd
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I've watched Fox news at 5pm every night this week and they've covered it on every show.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Amazing how those on here who go on and on and on about the evils of "MSM" are willing to give Faux News and its sister companies in the Murdoch empire a complete pass on this.

Is it as amazing as how those who applaud when the NYTimes spills illegally distributed US national defense secrets are suddenly beside themselves over a British hacking scandal?

vailpass
07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Couldn't it be reasonably determined from the data presented here that rival news stations are engaging in an attack campaing on Fox by over-covering the story?

BucEyedPea
07-22-2011, 01:37 PM
I love seeing NeoCon Murdoch going down!

dirk digler
07-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it as amazing as how those who applaud when the NYTimes spills illegally distributed US national defense secrets are suddenly beside themselves over a British hacking scandal?

There is a difference between receiving stolen property and committing burglary.

Couldn't it be reasonably determined from the data presented here that rival news stations are engaging in an attack campaing on Fox by over-covering the story?

No doubt. If NBC got busted doing something like this Fox News would be running it 24/7 as well. All about beating the competition anyway you can.

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 01:40 PM

This data standing alone could support either assertion, yes.

4 minutes of daytime coverage per day, however, suggests which is actually the case, and it's not the one your proposing...

vailpass
07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
This data standing alone could support either assertion, yes.

4 minutes of daytime coverage per day, however, suggests which is actually the case, and it's not the one your proposing...

Are you saying 4 minutes of coverage is less than what is required? What is the required number of minutes? What does it mean if you are under those minutes? Over?

mlyonsd
07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I've watched Fox news at 5pm every night this week and they've covered it on every show.I just re-read the thread starter. Eight days leading up to July 15th.

Wonder how much they've carried this week?

Radar Chief
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
No doubt. If NBC got busted doing something like this Fox News would be running it 24/7 as well. All about beating the competition anyway you can.

So what exactly was FOX News “busted” doing?
By contrast NBC actually did get “busted” forging documents in an attempt to influence a presidential election and what happened with that? Something like a whole 2 people lost their jobs and that was about it.

Donger
07-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Honestly, I see a lot more general dislike for Fox News from the left than I do about CNN/MSNBC from the right.

That being said, Fox News is clearly biased toward the right and MSNBC to the left. CNN certainly leans left, but isn't as bad as MSNBC or Fox, IMO.

blaise
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm not in denial that Fox leans right. I think most people on the right know that. I think there's more liberals who won't acknowledge that MSNBC or other outlets lean left.
Even more laughable was when people on other networks, like MSNBC, act like they were somehow better than Fox, as if their network wasn't just as slanted.

Donger
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm not in denial that Fox leans right. I think most people on the right know that. I think there's more liberals who won't acknowledge that MSNBC or other outlets lean left.
Even more laughable was when people on other networks, like MSNBC, act like they were somehow better than Fox, as if their network wasn't just as slanted.

Yep.

blaise
07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Generally, what I hear from the left is something along the lines of, "yeah, MSNBC leans left, but they do it with more integrity."

Ok.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
There is a difference between receiving stolen property and committing burglary.

This is such a bogus dodge. We heard mostly applause over the knowing publication of US national security secrets versus today's outrage over the amount of coverage by a news organization that had no involvement in stealing or receiving illicit information. One case involves British human interest secrets and the other involves US wartime defense secrets. Yes, indeed, there are differences. :shake:

dirk digler
07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
So what exactly was FOX News “busted” doing?
By contrast NBC actually did get “busted” forging documents in an attempt to influence a presidential election and what happened with that? Something like a whole 2 people lost their jobs and that was about it.

Sorry I should have said if GE had done this

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 02:14 PM
This is such a bogus dodge. We heard mostly applause over the knowing publication of US national security secrets versus today's outrage over the amount of coverage by a news organization that had no involvement in stealing or receiving illicit information. One case involves British human interest secrets and the other involves US wartime defense secrets. Yes, indeed, there are differences. :shake:

I think that guy running that website that got a sh**tton of confidential materials and posted them should be strung up by his entrails, and whoever leaked the stuff to him should get worse.

The Pentagon Papers -- the issue there is that our Vietnam policy was so woefully misguided, that it was much more of a public service to do damn near whatever it took to stop the useless waste of blood and money that we were pouring into Southeast Asia. I understand your point, but it's hard for me to fault anyone for exposing such a horrifically bad program/policy.

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 02:17 PM

I think some outlets do lean left. What gets me is this whole concept of "main stream media". Even if it did exist way back when, it certainly doesn't now. The way we receive and process news is so far different from, say, 1970, that there's no comparison.

MSM doesn't even exist anymore, if indeed it ever did.

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Honestly, I see a lot more general dislike for Fox News from the left than I do about CNN/MSNBC from the right.

The rigth doesn't say CNN/MSNBC. They say "MSM".

That being said, Fox News is clearly biased toward the right and MSNBC to the left. CNN certainly leans left, but isn't as bad as MSNBC or Fox, IMO.

I don't watch much of any of 'em, to be honest. I get most of my news through the internet anymore, for good or for bad.

Amnorix
07-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Are you saying 4 minutes of coverage is less than what is required? What is the required number of minutes? What does it mean if you are under those minutes? Over?

I cannot pick the perfect or ideal number of minutes.

Four per day, however, seems quite low.

dirk digler
07-22-2011, 02:25 PM

I know there is differences I said that already thanks for agreeing. There is a huge difference between receiving information and breaking into the Pentagon or Langley and stealing it.

Also I am not at this point suggesting Fox News, NY Post, or the WSJ did any hacking but this no longer is a British story when we learned that American 9/11 victim phones might have been hacked into. Rep King (R) is the one that called for the investigation so let the FBI figure that out.

Radar Chief
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't watch much of any of 'em, to be honest. I get most of my news through the internet anymore, for good or for bad.

I watch some FOX News and MSN in the morning, Robin Meade = yummy, but its mostly just noise while I get ready for work. Otherwise agreed, I get most of my news from teh intertubes.

patteeu
07-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I know there is differences I said that already thanks for agreeing. There is a huge difference between receiving information and breaking into the Pentagon or Langley and stealing it.

Also I am not at this point suggesting Fox News, NY Post, or the WSJ did any hacking but this no longer is a British story when we learned that American 9/11 victim phones might have been hacked into. Rep King (R) is the one that called for the investigation so let the FBI figure that out.

The weight of those differences cut against your hypocritical position.

go bowe
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
The weight of those differences cut against your hypocritical position.

seems to me that this story gets so much attention because it is the guy who owns fox news and other news outlets that speak to the right...

and that's why fox gives it so little attention...

Donger
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM
seems to me that this story gets so much attention because it is the guy who owns fox news and other news outlets that speak to the right...

and that's why fox gives it so little attention...

And why Fox' opposition gives it so much.

go bowe
07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
And why Fox' opposition gives it so much.

yes, that was my first assertion, that the opposition gives so much attention to it because it involves murdock...

Chief Henry
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Can't say I recall any of the libs on here being PO when Newt Gingrichs phone conversations were being illegally recorded.......Cant' say I'm surprised how todays libs are trying to derail Murdocks empire. He has kicked sand in they're faces for years. Murdoch will continue to do so.

mlyonsd
07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Had Sheppard Smith's show on tonight. They spent three and a half minutes on it.

|Zach|
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
It was pretty funny when Fox was talking how they thought the coverage of it was unfair. They brought up different examples like Bank of America. When that came to light people didn't spend time on it.

Because...to them a company *getting* hacked is the same thing.

ThatRaceCardGuy
07-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I smell republican-boot denial all up in this thread.

lostcause
07-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I am and will always be baffled by people that defend Fox News as a credible American journalistic entity.

CoMoChief
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Funny how all people do under this 2-party paradigm is just point fingers at eachother and tell eachother who's fault it is, or it's ok to do this or that because someone else of the other party did the same or similar etc.

Point is, this is bad, REALLY bad. And Newscorp needs to have the god damn axe dropped on them for this if this is all true.

98% of people in this country get their info from what they hear/see on TV. Whether it's MSNBC, CNN, or FOX, each has their own political agenda and one is just about biased and corrupt as the other.

America has fucked themselves to the point of no return. Other countries are passing us in education and manufacturing goods to the point that there aren't any jobs here in America, and American corporations are sending their jobs overseas because they're much MUCH more highly educated than us, and they're willing to do the job for a lot less because here in America there are countless numbers of laws, legislation, taxes, union dues, and other BS entitlements that are controlled by the US govt.

Now, it's to the point where it's all falling apart and collapsing, we're just seeing the very tip beginning of it. Our dollar has gone to shit and keeps falling, there is going to be unrest absolutely everywhere once hyper-inflation starts to kick in and all of these entitlements and govt programs/handouts that people relied on to survive, will be left out in the cold on this and then what will happen? They will loot, crime levels will raise, hell will break loose.

ThatRaceCardGuy
07-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Funny how all people do under this 2-party paradigm is just point fingers at eachother and tell eachother who's fault it is, or it's ok to do this or that because someone else of the other party did the same or similar etc.

Point is, this is bad, REALLY bad. And Newscorp needs to have the god damn axe dropped on them for this if this is all true.

98% of people in this country get their info from what they hear/see on TV. Whether it's MSNBC, CNN, or FOX, each has their own political agenda and one is just about biased and corrupt as the other.

America has ****ed themselves to the point of no return. Other countries are passing us in education and manufacturing goods to the point that there aren't any jobs here in America, and American corporations are sending their jobs overseas because they're much MUCH more highly educated than us, and they're willing to do the job for a lot less because here in America there are countless numbers of laws, legislation, taxes, union dues, and other BS entitlements that are controlled by the US govt.

Now, it's to the point where it's all falling apart and collapsing, we're just seeing the very tip beginning of it. Our dollar has gone to shit and keeps falling, there is going to be unrest absolutely everywhere once hyper-inflation starts to kick in and all of these entitlements and govt programs/handouts that people relied on to survive, will be left out in the cold on this and then what will happen? They will loot, crime levels will raise, hell will break loose.

Yes..I agree..but will there be football , that's what I would be concerned about.