PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues The GOP Opportunity Lost

RINGLEADER
07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Both practically and politically the GOP has won the debt debate. The only problem is they've yet to realize it and/or proven unwilling to lay claim to the political prize in the ongoing back-and-forth, namely the approval of their base and independents.

There is an argument that those two groups are opposing political forces, but I think the 2010 election proved that there are many issues in which the right and center align perfectly to comprise a potent base. And the GOP is squandering that center-right coalition with their current debt reduction tactics.

The winning move would be to embrace the Reid framework and graft real cuts onto it's generalities. Sure, the Reid plan is gimmicky and counts savings for expenses that no one living outside of Sesame Street believes would ever materialize. But that doesn't change the fact that using Reid's first offer as the vehicle to get to a final deal would cast the GOP as trying to work with the left while making proposals to fix the dents in the Democratic leader's approach. Get as much as you can in verifiable spending reductions, tack on the Balanced Budget Amendment vote for later in the year (a political move that would benefit both sides by providing distance from the current heat surrounding the issue for Democrats and providing the required time for the GOP to fine-tune their proposal and gather some support, which currently doesnt exist, from moderate Democrats in the Senate).

Could the GOP force additional concessions from the Democrats by way of the Reid plan? History says yes. The Republicans have largely driven this debate from one including tax increases and minor debt reduction, to one the ties debt increases to cuts without tax increases.

Co-opting the Reid plan makes sense politically by addressing the number one problem that Republicans now face with the public in multiple polls, namely that they're seen as being unwilling to compromise. Given the proposals (or lack thereof) from the left they may feel that's a necessary beating that they're willing to take. But it's unnecessary. The GOP has won. They might have to trade some of Reid's phantom cuts and request for a single vote over multiple votes for a BBA vote (something that costs Reid little in the way of political capital), but if Republicans take two steps back and realize just how much they've already won they'd be foolish not to pursue this course.

Based on their current actions (moving ahead with a vote on their two-step alternative plan), it appears the fools may be leading the charge. Practically and politically this is a GOP opportunity lost.

BucEyedPea
07-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Are you saying the opportunity lost is because certain Rs, Tea Party fiscal conservatives, won't compromise and raise the debt ceiling because it's not good public relations?

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Are you saying the opportunity lost is because certain Rs, Tea Party fiscal conservatives, won't compromise and raise the debt ceiling because it's not good public relations?

The goal of making this country fiscally responsible will suffer a major if not death blow if the dems take over congress again next year.

This mess won't get fixed in just one more election cycle.

blaise
07-26-2011, 08:29 AM
The GOP opportunity is lost because they can't find someone that isn't too old, too stupid, or has too many skeletons to beat Obama when he's ripe for picking.

Instead we're going to get someone to go through the motions and lose. And if Obama doesn't have to worry about reelection who knows what he'll try to do.

RINGLEADER
07-26-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm saying Reid gave them a pathway to a conclusion that gets the GOP (most of) what they want in exchange for giving up a one-shot increase. And they preserve their independent/right coalition of support and marginalize the president in the process.

BucEyedPea
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
The goal of making this country fiscally responsible will suffer a major if not death blow if the dems take over congress again next year.

This mess won't get fixed in just one more election cycle.

I have no intention of voting for a D for congress or senate either. Even if I can't stand my congressman and he's old. I'm lovin' the gridlock it's what I voted for. I do not want one party rule in all three branches though—unless it's a very special and independent R. My hope is to fill up congress with opposition to stymie Obama should he win.