PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues More things the stimulus went towards that makes you wonder

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Just received this email from Wildblue, a satellite internet provider. Looks like our stimulus is going for good things.....getting internet for everyone because dang it, it's only fair.

I'm not eligible because I'm already a customer but the plan they are talking about here is usually $69.95/month.

And now thanks to the 2009 stimulus and Obama they can get locked in at $39.95/month.......FOR LIFE.

I wonder what the government spent on this? How many jobs do you suppose this is creating?

<O:p</O:p
Thanks for checking into WildBlue Internet service on our website. The address you checked with us: (*******************************) was JUST selected for the new federal funded stimulus program called the U.S. Recovery Act. The government has dedicated millions of dollars to help us assist rural customers like yourself get high-speed satellite Internet access at a substantial discount on equipment, installation and the monthly cost of the service. Please let us know if you would like to reserve this special funding for your address by simply calling us directly at 877-515-5686.

The U.S. Recovery Act stimulus gets you:
<O:p Satellite modem and mini-dish and no cost<O:p</O:p
Delivery and Installation at no cost<O:p</O:p
Fast download speeds up to 1Mbps<O:p</O:p
$39.95/mo plan locked in for LIFE<O:p</O:p
24/7 U.S. based customer support<O:p</O:p
FSecure anti-virus software free for 1 year ($35 value)<O:p</O:p

go bowe
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
well shit, i think i'll move to the countryside...

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
New customers only, eh.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10165726-38.html

HonestChieffan
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
My farm is in a county where its debatable if HS Internet will ever be available via land line, we have virtually no high speed wireless/cell data availability so for those folks this is a positive thing. That said, Why should the government pay for it?

Bob Dole
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
New customers only, eh.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10165726-38.html

Not sure if Wild Blue's pile came from the BTOP grants.

http://www2.ntia.doc.gov/awards

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
My farm is in a county where its debatable if HS Internet will ever be available via land line, we have virtually no high speed wireless/cell data availability so for those folks this is a positive thing. That said, Why should the government pay for it?Well it's been available to most areas in the US for quite a long time. I've had them for about three years.

That said why should a new subscriber get $30 off his bill for life when I don't?

And yes, why should the rest of us pay for that?

HonestChieffan
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Well it's been available to most areas in the US for quite a long time. I've had them for about three years.

That said why should a new subscriber get $30 off his bill for life when I don't?

And yes, why should the rest of us pay for that?

how would you rate it? Happy?

Chief Roundup
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Well my understanding is that it is only good for 200 mega bits a day before it is like slower than dial up.
So if you load 4 youtube vids you are going to be going over your plan....and then down to less than dial up speeds....and it won't renew the full amount for the next day. My stepson had this same thing through wild blue and this is what happened with and for him with thier service.

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
how would you rate it? Happy?Since my only other option is dial up, yes it's all right.

Those of you used to cable/dsl would probably pull your hair out though.

The plan I'm on is rated at about 1.5Mb/second download. Not fast considering today's standards. Still better than the alternative.

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Well my understanding is that it is only good for 200 mega bits a day before it is like slower than dial up.
So if you load 4 youtube vids you are going to be going over your plan....and then down to less than dial up speeds....and it won't renew the full amount for the next day. My stepson had this same thing through wild blue and this is what happened with and for him with thier service.My plan is good for 17Gb of downloaded data a month. If I go over that they govern the speed. That happened once. It wasn't as slow as dial up but not a whole heck of a lot better.

alpha_omega
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
So...the stimulus $$$ isn't for expanding technologies, it's for buying equipment and enacting price controls for already available technologies?

If so...that sure isn't the way i understood it (or the way it was explained/sold).

mlyonsd
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
So...the stimulus $$$ isn't for expanding technologies, it's for buying equipment and enacting price controls for already available technologies?

If so...that sure isn't the way i understood it (or the way it was explained/sold).

Believe me, I was as stunned as you are.

I called them on the off chance I might be eligible but was quickly turned away. My plan was to make my sig 'Thanks, you're paying for my internet'.

stevieray
07-26-2011, 01:43 PM

..and on their grid.