PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues How Reagan Would Have Handled Debt: Ex-Advisor

petegz28
07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43890673

He (Reagan) would have negotiated much earlier than President Obama has," Mary Jo Jacobi, former US Assistant Secretary of Commerce, told CNBC Tuesday.

"He would also have expressed considerable dismay that for more than 800 days the US has operated without an approved federal budget. Reagan was good at compromise."

petegz28
07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
In other words, Reagan wouldn't have been sitting around on his ass, or should I say out playing golf, until the last minute like someone else has.

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Are you seriously going to play the "What Would Reagan Do" game, Pete? Because you're going to get annihilated.

petegz28
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Are you seriously going to play the "What Would Reagan Do" game, Pete? Because you're going to get annihilated.

Am I? Am I? I am not the one who brought up Reagan. That was Obama, last night, in his speech.

Bring it on, tough guy...you're already 0-1

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Am I? Am I? I am not the one who brought up Reagan. That was Obama, last night, in his speech.

Bring it on, tough guy...you're already 0-1

You're a dumb MF.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e6nNJiJsm70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Congress consistently brings the Government to the edge of default before facing its responsibility. This brinkmanship threatens the holders of government bonds and those who rely on Social Security and veterans benefits. Interest rates would skyrocket, instability would occur in financial markets, and the Federal deficit would soar. The United States has a special responsibility to itself and the world to meet its obligations. It means we have a well-earned reputation for reliability and credibility – two things that set us apart from much of the world.

Shall I go on?

orange
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Say petegz28,

Did Ronald Reagan ever run a deficit?
Did Ronald Reagan ever raise taxes?
Did Ronald Reagan - not Mary Jo or whoever, RR himself - ever say anything quotable about the Debt Ceiling?

p.s. Pittsie - beat me by that much. I commend you for your preparedness.

Donger
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Am I the only conservative who doesn't really care to hear Reagan being brought up all the ****ing time? He's dead.

It's like pathetic Broncos fans still wearing Elway jerseys.

petegz28
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Say petegz28,

Did Ronald Reagan - not Mary Jo or whoever, RR himself - ever say anything quotable about the Debt Ceiling?

Where did I ever say he didn't? Would Reagan have waited until the last minute to get engaged? No. That's the point. Sorry, I know that bites you lefties in the ass to hear as your hero tried to quote Reagan.

petegz28
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Am I the only conservative who doesn't really care to hear Reagan being brought up all the ****ing time? He's dead.

They are just mad because Barry has been hitting the greens when he should have been working to get a deal done between the 2 parties.

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Where did I ever say he didn't? Would Reagan have waited until the last minute to get engaged? No. That's the point. Sorry, I know that bites you lefties in the ass to hear as your hero tried to quote Reagan.

And I'm done. No sense in wasting time with a partisan moron such as yourself.

BucEyedPea
07-26-2011, 02:14 PM
This era is different than under Reagan. No one knows exactly what'd he'd do especially with the Cold War over. JMO

BucEyedPea

You're not partisan either?

petegz28

Yes, cause you are a model of bipartisanship. :LOL:

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
They are just mad because Barry has been hitting the greens when he should have been working to get a deal done between the 2 parties.

Yeah, Reagan never delegated any negotiating AT ALL.

It's true that Reagan did not engage as much in the day-to-day bargaining. The big bipartisan agreements of the Reagan years were mostly cobbled together by O'Neill's forces and moderate Republican leaders such as Sens. Howard Baker of Tennessee and Bob Dole of Kansas, and Rep. Barber Conable of New York.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=138636725

You're such a f'ing retard it makes my head hurt.

petegz28
07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

I thought you were done? So you're a liar to boot? It's not my fault your hero tried to be Reagan and failed. Don't be mad at me. I didn't make him do it.

Cave Johnson
07-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I thought you were done? So you're a liar to boot? It's not my fault your hero tried to be Reagan and failed. Don't be mad at me. I didn't make him do it.

Keep up the ad hominem attacks that you and your right wing buddies can circle jerk to..... that's clearly all you have.

vailpass
07-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Say petegz28,

p.s. Pittsie - beat me by that much. I commend you for your preparedness.

LMAO Things are getting mighty tough for those few who still openly defend obama. Think you can get an advance on your obamacare to cover that nervous break down you are about to have?

orange
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM

An orange Elway jersey, to boot!

RINGLEADER
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
An orange Elway jersey, to boot!

:facepalm:

patteeu
07-26-2011, 05:26 PM
You're a dumb MF.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e6nNJiJsm70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shall I go on?

Sure, go on and explain why the current POTUS doesn't seem to take this as seriously as Ronald Reagan did.

patteeu
07-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Wow, looks like operation annihilation backfired. Haha.

patteeu
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Keep up the ad hominem attacks that you and your right wing buddies can circle jerk to..... that's clearly all you have.

LMAO

Amnorix
07-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Cross-threading from my new thread, which won't be long-lived I predict as there isn't much to cuss about -- but your comment regarding the negotiations being led by moderate Republicans is especially useful in that there are FEWER moderates, in both parties, all the time. Washington is becoming increasingly polarized, and the other party demonized, which reduces/eliminates the ability to negotiate/compromise.

Amnorix
07-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Sure, go on and explain why the current POTUS doesn't seem to take this as seriously as Ronald Reagan did.

How many speeches does the President have to give to show that he is serious. He's been negotiating this for months. Had his VP involved. Got involved personally. Had a framework for a deal that the Speaker of the House couldn't deliver his own people on (a problem Tip O'Neill never had, btw).

For good or for bad the reality here is that Boehner can't control his caucus, which is a huge part of the reason that the parties can't reach agreement. His 87 freshmen, standing in the background, flip the bird to the entire government and our political process and say, effectively "our way or nothing".

Maybe you (or others here) applaud their stand, in this instance or in all instances, but the reality is that that isn't how our government has ever worked. In fact, it's not workable. What if Democrats in the Senate made the same demand - "we're not negotiating on cutting entitlements". Great. Where are we now? Fucked, that's where.

Obama said he'd deliver his people on entitlement reform, but he never even got the chance to try before Boehner found the rug had been pulled out from under him.

Chiefshrink
07-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Reagan="We The People"

O'Marxist= "We The People" are the problem and must be stopped.

That's the difference!!

Cave Johnson
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
LMAO

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W2YK7pADmWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass
07-27-2011, 10:11 AM
LMAO

Stop engaging in ad hominem you fucking retard. LMAO

Taco John
07-27-2011, 10:27 AM
You're a dumb MF.

Shall I go on?

It's very interesting to see all the praise that leftists are giving Reagan these days.

Cave Johnson
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
It's very interesting to see all the praise that leftists are giving Reagan these days.

Reagan's a stone cold liberal compared to conservatives these days.

Chief Faithful
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Other than the fact that Reagan's and Obama's basic ideology was and is complete opposite. Remember, Reagan believed government wasn't "part of the problem government is the problem".

Taco John
07-27-2011, 10:53 AM

I think Reagan was a liberal like Obama is a conservative. In reality, the president's hands are tied by what they can get moved through congress. I think you'd have to ignore political reality to believe that Reagan held any liberal beliefs in comparisons with conservatives today. In fact, I'm certain that Reagan would applaud the tea party, but would have gotten involved a lot earlier knowing that he would need to mediate.

If Obama was smart, he would have been talking with Rand Paul from the outset of this discussion. He would have had a deal by now, AND he would have significantly weakened Rand Paul and managed to brand him as a deal-maker. Obama doesn't have much by way of political sense or skill.

Cave Johnson
07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Other than the fact that Reagan's and Obama's basic ideology was and is complete opposite. Remember, Reagan believed government wasn't "part of the problem government is the problem".

Which was completely contradicted by growth in government spending during his tenure.

Actions > words.

LOCOChief
07-27-2011, 11:15 AM
We're spending over $4 billion a day in borrowed money and there are still idiots here that are backing the "no plan dems"

Screw it, I say stick to teaparty demands to cut spending.

patteeu
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
How many speeches does the President have to give to show that he is serious. He's been negotiating this for months. Had his VP involved. Got involved personally. Had a framework for a deal that the Speaker of the House couldn't deliver his own people on (a problem Tip O'Neill never had, btw).

For good or for bad the reality here is that Boehner can't control his caucus, which is a huge part of the reason that the parties can't reach agreement. His 87 freshmen, standing in the background, flip the bird to the entire government and our political process and say, effectively "our way or nothing".

Maybe you (or others here) applaud their stand, in this instance or in all instances, but the reality is that that isn't how our government has ever worked. In fact, it's not workable. What if Democrats in the Senate made the same demand - "we're not negotiating on cutting entitlements". Great. Where are we now? ****ed, that's where.

Obama said he'd deliver his people on entitlement reform, but he never even got the chance to try before Boehner found the rug had been pulled out from under him.

Speeches are just words. The POTUS is great at lip service.

Anyone who is serious about out of control fiscal irresponsibility ought to be able to recognize that however extreme they are, the House GOP are the most serious contingent in DC about making painful cuts to the bloated budget. You may not like the particular cuts that they're interested in and you might not be happy that they don't want to raise taxes so that the new level of government equilibrium can be bigger than ever, but you can't possibly believe that there's any seriousness at all behind the President's talk.

Chief Faithful
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Which was completely contradicted by growth in government spending during his tenure.

Actions > words.

You don't remember Tip O'Neal do you?

Calcountry
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
In other words, Reagan wouldn't have been sitting around on his ass, or should I say out playing golf, until the last minute like someone else has.Reagan didn't lecture, he explained his vision for America, and in your gut, you knew he was right. It's called leadership, and he had a gift.

KCWolfman
07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
You're a dumb MF.

Shall I go on?

I would like you (or anyone) to explain to me if we are so highly vaunted and rated, why would we turn into a junk bond status (for lack of a better description) overnight? I have yet to see a logical answer.

More importantly, if we go from owning castles to eating our young to survive overnight, why haven't the Democrats taking this issue much more seriously than they have over the last 2 years? The Freshmen Republicans came in expecting to make harsh financial changes - it seems to me these rookies have more of an understanding of what we need more than the vaunted Liberals do.

Chief Faithful
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
It is so commical how so many Liberals are trying to show us how Obama, a big government anti-capitalist, compares to Reagan, a small government capitalist are some how similar.

KCWolfman
07-27-2011, 11:55 AM
It is so commical how so many Liberals are trying to show us how Obama, a big government anti-capitalist, compares to Reagan, a small government capitalist are some how similar.

If you really want to watch their eyes roll back, find one that truly believes your above statement - then tell him/her that President Kennedy would have been a Republican if he were around today.

BigChiefFan
07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Two words for the Reagan lovers: Drug War.

ROYC75
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM

I bet this is going over well.

ROYC75
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
How many speeches does the President have to give to show that he is serious. He's been negotiating this for months. Had his VP involved. Got involved personally. Had a framework for a deal that the Speaker of the House couldn't deliver his own people on (a problem Tip O'Neill never had, btw).Well, He does appear to be on TV often whining about not getting his way and blaming everybody but himself and Democrats. Too much golf and not enough leadership on negotiating? Maybe a little bipartisan leadership instead of partisan party toeing? The Speaker does have to sell the deal to the tea party R's, ya know the ones that want fiscal conservative ideals in the WH. There aren't any tea party D's and very few conservative D's in the house and senate. Obo is just pissed he is not getting his way as he did the 1 st 2 years.

For good or for bad the reality here is that Boehner can't control his caucus, which is a huge part of the reason that the parties can't reach agreement. His 87 freshmen, standing in the background, flip the bird to the entire government and our political process and say, effectively "our way or nothing". Thank God or Obo and the Obots will have a 25 trillon deficit by the time he is done with a 2nd term, that is if there is a 2nd term

Maybe you (or others here) applaud their stand, in this instance or in all instances, but the reality is that that isn't how our government has ever worked. In fact, it's not workable. What if Democrats in the Senate made the same demand - "we're not negotiating on cutting entitlements". Great. Where are we now? ****ed, that's where. I do, we do and that is how it should work. What has worked in the past is not working now. You can not spend your way to prosperity, raise taxes in a recession and expect to not create a higher deficit. Do you handle your budget at home this way? When short of income and deep in debt do you spend more, pay in more taxes and end up having a better a better life? Our Federal Government has acted this way for way to long, Face it, we have a spending problem.

Obama said he'd deliver his people on entitlement reform, but he never even got the chance to try before Boehner found the rug had been pulled out from under him. Crap, that is BS. He had a 2 year run , a head start to attack the economy but instead they took the opportunity to ramp a HC bill down the peoples throats because they knew they wouldn't get it after year 2. He let the American people down by doing this and not addressing the economy. Remember when the housing crash came down during the election, the people trusted Obo and were pissed at the R's for Bush. This is the reason the country has sunken deeper in debt. Face it, he has failed on many levels.